PDA

View Full Version : Priorities

lbaker
12-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Some of you may know from Dicks Place Thursdays - I've had a bad time at work last week. Boss Lady said I had to "re-think my priorities" because my personal life has had some downturns lately. Well this morning I woke up and walked into my living room to find my beautiful son Kenneth, and his dear, healing wife Jenny asleep on a sleep mat on the floor of my living room in front of the fire with three of the dogs and a few cats all wrapped up together. I went out back to grab a few more logs to throw on the embers (without waking anyone). I'm sitting here thinking "well BossLady, I think I DO know my priorities and they are right here.. my home and my family". Sorry folks, just had to vent a bit but also thank all of you for being around when I need you.

Karen
12-20-2003, 09:17 PM
What a nice image! How long have you been at that job? She should rethink HER priorities! :p

moosmom
12-20-2003, 09:20 PM
lBaker,

Good for you!!! I used to work for Xerox Corporation, a company who is supposed to be a "family oriented" company. When my daughter was little (3 years old), I was a single parent. She had problems with her ears and I was being called away to pick her up from day care because of it. Well, Xerox didn't want to HEAR that I was a single parent raising a kid on my own. They told me I needed to make other arrangements should my daughter become ill again. :eek: I was furious!! There were other employees who had spouses that stayed at home. But did they question THEM when they were called out because of a child emergency??? Nooooo!

I applaud you. Stick to your guns!!

lbaker
12-20-2003, 09:22 PM
I just got my 15 yr pin yesterday. And yes Karen, that's exactly what I wanted to say... "what are YOUR priorities?" She is a brilliant woman but has no life other than work. Most of my co-workers agree and understand so that's something..

trayi52
12-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Yes, family always first, then your job. Does sound like she needs to get a real life, so she can find out what its like to have family as the number one priority!

Glad to see you stuck to you guns in that situation. I bet that was a precious site, seeing your sweet family all piled up together sleeping in front of the fireplace, how sweet. You must be a very good mother-in-law, to feel that way.

Tray:)

Tonya
12-20-2003, 10:14 PM
That is a beautiful image! I'm glad that you have such a positive attitude; that is what keeps us going in life.

My co-workers love to talk me down because I've missed work over my son's health problems. I flat out told my co-workers that I have pretty much accepted that I'll never have shiny clean attendence. I'm a mother first. The company comes second and always will. I will never put my job before my family and I'm not ashamed of that. They can call me what they want!

Miss Meow
12-20-2003, 11:17 PM
I worry about the 'live to work' lot. Sometimes life happens to get in the way of the 9-5 routine and people who can't acknowledge that are a danger to the sanity of those around them :rolleyes:

Enjoy your fireplace and your family :)

KYS
12-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Dang! You got that right, Family is your number one priority.
Unfortunately the old school of thought is the Job
is number one. : (
I was trained that the job comes first, and it wasn't till
after my mother past away did it click through
my head that FAMILY is NUMBER UNO!!
You can't replace a love one, but you can
always get another job!

slick
12-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Laurie: how wonderful that you awoke to such a peaceful scene. I sometimes think that I don't have my priorities straight too. I work much too long hours and there are times that I know that Max and Speckles do not get the attention they deserve.

I normally don't make New Year's resolutions, but just maybe you have helped me see the light. Next year, I promise myself to concentrate more on my family. Visit my Mom and Auntie more often. Spend more time with the cats and less time at work. After all, my weekends belong at home.

Thanks Laurie.