PDA

View Full Version : Frodo Baggins!!! **pics**

tikeyas_mom
12-20-2003, 08:22 PM
AS most of you know, Jordan *wolfsoul*, got me a hairless rat! I brang him home today!! mwaha. he is in my lil brothers room for now, he is being quarantined!.. I took some pics *in my brothers room* of him and his cage :p. here they are...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p4dc10f2b0e3a4b4422d6c3fd1ef4323d/fa3f4b21.jpg Frodos cute lil but :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p1682d63e6ac921549f0c3d3d427f758b/fa3f4b1e.jpg from this agle it doesnt look like he is male, but his testies havent desended yet... thought you all should know lol..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p5070213dc5cf33c546be6fe0e5826dec/fa3f4b19.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pcd50c6f78dc8ac958d9d895d68209ed8/fa3f4b14.jpg alot of light in this pic sorry :p

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pc555916ee615aa69774bec39694c02b9/fa3f4b0d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p6bb59df9b3e23407f51a22038060443e/fa3f4b0a.jpg here is his cage for the next couple of weeks. plus alot of outside room play time.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pcc8ea4f783324b3c6e446dde3b963f8d/fa3f4b06.jpg here is his cage from a side angle, as you can see, lol. Can you see his lil head sticking out from uder his igloo :-D.

I hope you all liked my lil Hairless Friend!! :-P

G.P.girl
12-20-2003, 08:33 PM
AWWWWW how cute!! thanks for sharing:D

tikeyas_mom
12-20-2003, 08:40 PM
your very VERY welcome :p

Desert Arabian
12-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Very cute!! I can't wait to get my hairless ratties.

For the rattie to be a "him", it appears to be missing some important (extremely noticeable) parts. I see no testicles. :o Are you sure it's a him!? It looks like a doe.

trayi52
12-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Jynnelle, I am happy you got what you wanted, Frodo is his name, right? Anyway that is something to see one with no hair.

He is cute, do you ever get bit by these guys? Or are they pretty much tamed when you get them? I think Lin would like to have a rat, not not a boy friend, a real rat. She loves rats, lizards and snakes, always has. She seen something at a flea market one time, that looked like a small rat, but hopped like a kangaroo, have no idea what it was called. Do you know what I am talking about Jynelle? Anyway, she begged and begged for it.

Tray

Desert Arabian
12-20-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
He is cute, do you ever get bit by these guys?

I HAVE!! Not recently though. My two agouti ratties Nugget and Sweet Pea were down right vicious. They lunged at the cage wires just SMELLING human flesh. I have scars all over my hands from them. I have no clue what I did to make them attack like that. I tried my hardest to stop them. At one point it got so bad I had to put gloves on to get them. I still loved them even though I couldn't bond with them as much. :) :( Nugget and Sweet Pea are at the RB now.

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 12:08 AM

He is cute, do you ever get bit by these guys?
Rats aren't generally biters, but if they aren't socialized then they can be pretty bad fear-biters. My rat Frisco has always been socialized with people, but not rats. So I'd always get the bite whenever he lunged for my Icarus. I have two hideous scars on my arm lol. I mean huge. One of them is puffed up like a big scab, but it's healed. Both happened when he lunged for Icarus and I put myself inbetween them. He gets so disorientated and doesn't realize what he's doing. My fault lol. :o I've since given up on letting them socialize.

Great pics! :D Sweet little guy.

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 01:20 AM
Jynelle, your Frodo does look like a doe. In hairless rats sometimes a doe can be mistaken as a male as their urethra is a lot more noticable then on a furred rat. You can also see a bulge down there, that looks like undecended testies. If it is indeed a male, his testicles would already have descended, as he looks well over the age, and the testicles are pretty evident as early as three weeks old. Sometimes they do not descend til later, but from the pics, SHE looks very much like a doe.

Also, to let you know, that's not a hairless, she's a double rex. ;) There is way too much fuzz on the face for her to be a true hairless. Either that, or she is a fuzzy hairless, which is just a bad hairless.

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 01:23 AM

She seen something at a flea market one time, that looked like a small rat, but hopped like a kangaroo, have no idea what it was called. Do you know what I am talking about Jynelle? Anyway, she begged and begged for it.

Tray

That animal sounds very much like a gerboa. Did it have a long tail and long legs? I wouldn't suggest buying any animals from a flea market, as most likely they are stolen, or forbidden animals to have in your state.

Uabassoon
12-21-2003, 01:47 AM
What a cutie! Congrats on your new addition.

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Jynelle, your Frodo does look like a doe. In hairless rats sometimes a doe can be mistaken as a male as their urethra is a lot more noticable then on a furred rat. You can also see a bulge down there, that looks like undecended testies. If it is indeed a male, his testicles would already have descended, as he looks well over the age, and the testicles are pretty evident as early as three weeks old. Sometimes they do not descend til later, but from the pics, SHE looks very much like a doe.

I saw him at the petstore before I bought him though, and his testicles weren't sucked into his abdomen, they were out, and even bigger than my rats'! However, since I had him, they haven't...popped out...LOL. But the penis looks too far from the anus to be a female to me. :confused:

He's not a double rex, he's a nude ;) ...He only has whiskers on his face. One of his parents was standard, the other other nude or hairless (The breeder didn't know).

trayi52
12-21-2003, 02:10 AM
Cass, you really think so, about a flea market? I never thought of that at all. Thanks for warning me.

This little critter stood on its hind legs like a kangaroo does, see how knowledgeable I am? Smart aren't I? LOL. Yes it had a long tail, and long legs. A gerboa? I would not doubt it, seems like the state of Tennessee, forbids a lot of animals that other states allow. Bad part of Tennessee. I guess about the only thing good to buy at a flea market is fleas? LOL, I usually just go to look at the old dolls, I love old dolls and collect them. My husband goes because of the chickens.

I will watch about that kind of stuff though Cass, I really appreciate the info. Okay? Thank you.

Willie:)

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 02:12 AM

This little critter stood on its hind legs like a kangaroo does, see how knowledgeable I am?
Maybe a degu, or a gerbil?

trayi52
12-21-2003, 02:18 AM
I don't think it was a gerbil, somebody show me a picture of a gerbil. Does anybody have a picture of a gerbil? I am just not smart in this kind of pet, I know a hamster when I see one, (I think) and I know a rat when I see one. (I'm pretty sure) and I know a guiena pig when I see one of those(I am sure about that, LOL)

Any info,I would appreciate, I will make sure I don't get anything like that from a flea market, you can rest assured of that. Thanks for your info, Cass and Jordan.

Willie

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 02:29 AM
Here are some degus :)

http://www.theefishbowl.com/g09-05-02/degu-400-2.jpg
http://www.gerbiiliyhdistys.fi/KUVIA/DEGU.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/petitepaws/degu/degu1.jpg

And here are some gerbils ;)
http://plaza1.snu.ac.kr/~vetmed/korean/z/gerbil/gerbil-02.jpg
http://www.animalnetwork.com/critters/profiles/art/gerbil.jpg
http://www.vidadecao.com.br/exotico/img/gerbil.jpg

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I saw him at the petstore before I bought him though, and his testicles weren't sucked into his abdomen, they were out, and even bigger than my rats'! However, since I had him, they haven't...popped out...LOL. But the penis looks too far from the anus to be a female to me. :confused:

He's not a double rex, he's a nude ;) ...He only has whiskers on his face. One of his parents was standard, the other other nude or hairless (The breeder didn't know).

Are you sure you did not mistake this rat for another? If it is indeed the same rat then I would take him to the vet. If he had testicles before and he has sucked them up, he is either sick or extremely stressed out. Again, I believe it's a doe. You can FOR SURE know if it's a male but pushing on the urethra, if a penis pops out then well, there's your answer. ;)

And just to let you know, if both of his/her's parents were what you said, he cannot be a nude. A nude rat is a hairless born to two furred rats who carry the hairless gene, so he/she cannot be a nude. ;) But if one of his parents is standard then he can't be a double rex anyway, but I wouldn't rely on any breeder who breeds to supply a petshop or snake food.

From the pictures, the rat looks like it has fuzz on his face, so that is why I said he looked double rex, OR he/she is a bad hairless. Obviously if one of the parents were standard, and since the hairless gene is recessive, he had to be a hairless, and his mother/father was a carrier, and one of the parents were hairless, or a hairless carrier.

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Are you sure you did not mistake this rat for another? If it is indeed the same rat then I would take him to the vet. If he had testicles before and he has sucked them up, he is either sick or extremely stressed out. Again, I believe it's a doe. You can FOR SURE know if it's a male but pushing on the urethra, if a penis pops out then well, there's your answer. ;)

I'm sure that I didn't mistake him for one lol. There were only three. I may have mixed them up a few times, but they assured me that they were all males. :confused: I'm sure I saw all testicles (lol, this conversation sounds weird :p ).

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 02:45 AM
I'm sure that I didn't mistake him for one lol. There were only three. I may have mixed them up a few times, but they assured me that they were all males. :confused: I'm sure I saw all testicles (lol, this conversation sounds weird :p ).

Don't you know that hairless rats are testicles? :p That's what everyone says anyway..............hehe

Remember, you can't always rely on a petshop, and like I said before, usually when this happens it means the rats is very stressed out, either by the recent change to a new home or an illness. Just something to think about. Maybe Jynelle can take him to the vet? It's always nice to take a new pet in for a check up anyway, especially a ratty. :)

trayi52
12-21-2003, 02:47 AM
Jordan those last three links looks an awful lot like that whatever I seen, the coloring was like that of a wild rat or mouse, with a little brown mixed in.

Thanks for putting up the links.

Tray

Amber
12-21-2003, 10:04 AM
Who Cares what breed he is!! He is a Cutie for sure!!:D :D
Frodo is beautiful!:D

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Very cute!! I can't wait to get my hairless ratties.

For the rattie to be a "him", it appears to be missing some important (extremely noticeable) parts. I see no testicles. :o Are you sure it's a him!? It looks like a doe.

i am sure it is a male :) because when i put a lil bit of pressure around his testies they pop out :p..

/...

i never get bit by them :p. and I think the rodents you are talking about trayi52, are gerbils, :P

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Don't you know that hairless rats are testicles? :p That's what everyone says anyway..............hehe

Remember, you can't always rely on a petshop, and like I said before, usually when this happens it means the rats is very stressed out, either by the recent change to a new home or an illness. Just something to think about. Maybe Jynelle can take him to the vet? It's always nice to take a new pet in for a check up anyway, especially a ratty. :)

i am taking him to the vet monday :p..

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Amber
Who Cares what breed he is!! He is a Cutie for sure!!:D :D
Frodo is beautiful!:D

hahah thanks!!

i ver VERY much agree :)

today i will take some pics of his genitals, and Cass i will send them to you in a PM. you can deside lmao, what he is..

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 11:16 AM
OMG :(:(:( I think Frodo is a female. I just went and checked on him and looked at his genitals and there is no testies in site. none, none popped out even :(:(.. I put a lil pressure on his penis and nothing came out no penis !!! :eek:..

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
OMG :(:(:( I think Frodo is a female. I just went and checked on him and looked at his genitals and there is no testies in site. none, none popped out even :(:(.. I put a lil pressure on his penis and nothing came out no penis !!! :eek:..

Ok, so he's a girl then? Like I said right? Or is he a he/she? :p First something popped out and then now nothing? If nothing comes out of the sheath, it's DEFFINATELY a doe!

Just PLEASE be careful with the two boys and her, if she is indeed a female. If you take a pic you can for sure see.........I will take one of Wrinkles today so you can compare the two. Don't freak out, just be happy you have a little girl, but make sure to keep her seperated from the boys.

Remember that most hairless does cannot lactate, so if she is pregnant or gets pregnant (good chance she IS pregnant if she was housed with boys for longer than four days. Doe's go into heat every four days.) she may not be able to feed her young, and will either cannabalize them or just not take care of them, and then all the feeding will be left up to you.

So if she is a girl, I would go buy a can of KMR and some qtips or syringes and be prepared to feed any babies yourself.

~~~~~

Amber, there are no breeds of rats, just types. ;)

Tray, are you sure it wasn't a gerboa? I used to have degu's and in fact just recently placed some as rescues. :) I run an Exotic Animal rescue so I see them quite frequently unfortunately. Degu's back legs are not too big, is why I am asking. However, I believe gerboa's are a little lighter grey or agouti color, but I could be wrong.

If you ever plan on getting a degu let me know and I can give you lots of info. I have owned them off and on for several years. :)

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 12:09 PM
luckies, I cant have a female. if she is indeed a female, then i will have to take her back or to a rat rescuer that lives up the street from me, he rescues rats and he is also a breeder.

I dont have the room for a female. it wouldent work :(:(.. which really sucks. Why couldent she just be male. Why? ugh

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 12:16 PM
Ship her to me! hehe :D Wrinkles would love a girl just like her. :p

trayi52
12-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Cass, I am just not certain about what it was, I just looked like a tiny little kangaroo hopping around, I wish I had of asked what it was, but I was to busy saying no, no, no.

Maybe I'll get her a rat. What kind do you suggest? I just don't want any babys from buying one, because I sure don't nothing about taking care of the babies. Whew! sounds like work!

How long does it take a Hamster or a rat to have babies?

Tray
:)

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Ship her to me! hehe :D Wrinkles would love a girl just like her. :p

umm.. i am not sure if I would feel safe shipping her, i mean she has been thourgh alot of stress lately ...

poor thing

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Well first off, if you get a rat, make it TWO. Rats really do better in same sex pairs, and enjoy spending time with a companion of the same species. If these will be your first rats, I would suggest two males, unless their testicles are not appealing to you. They really are a lot less active, more opt to cuddle and not as flighty when out of the cage, however, I do have doe's that act the same way. So either sex is fine really. :) I love my energetic does, and enjoy letting them romp around on my bed during the day while I clean, or they like to go under the dresser to play "Find the ratty!" etc. :p

If you are worried about getting a doe who is already pregnant, then I would opt for boys.

Rat Gestation is around 23 days, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. :)

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
umm.. i am not sure if I would feel safe shipping her, i mean she has been thourgh alot of stress lately ...

poor thing

It was a joke. ;)

trayi52
12-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Wow, isn't it a shame our pregnanices can't be that short? But noooo, we have to go through 40 weeks of feeling fat and bloated. Of course, if it was shorter, I wonder how many children we would end up with? :eek:

I think I would want to get her a pair of guys, anything I should look for when getting them, to make sure they are healty? And what size cage, and what kind of food, and bedding?

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Wow, isn't it a shame our pregnanices can't be that short? But noooo, we have to go through 40 weeks of feeling fat and bloated. Of course, if it was shorter, I wonder how many children we would end up with? :eek:

I think I would want to get her a pair of guys, anything I should look for when getting them, to make sure they are healty? And what size cage, and what kind of food, and bedding?

I hear you on that one! But imagine, a shorter pregnancy but the drawback is having 14 babies at one time! :eek:

Well I would suggest going to a breeder or a rescue center if you can locate one in your area. Unlike petshops, breeders breed for health and temperament, and so you are almost quaranteed a sweet, well adjusted baby who won't suffer from Myco outbreaks, tumours etc. Petshop breeders breed for quantity, not quality.

Rescue centers are great too, but I usually do not reccommend these to first timers, as rats can have many problems which causes huge vet bills etc. If the person is indeed experieced, I would reccomend a rescue, but in most circumstances it's just not a good match. But there are a TON of great rats in rescue, without problems, I just prefer the ones with issues with health or temperament to be adopted by something more experienced. See if maybe they have ex breeder rats, or something like that.

When you go to pick out a rat let the rat come to you. If it goes and hides, it's skittish and most likely will stay that way, however a lot of rats do come around quite nicely with daily socialization. But, here's the thing, they could fear bite and then the owner gts scared and does not handle them, and that's where the problems begin. So chose one that shows interest in your hand. Let him sniff it, and then gently try to pick him up. They may like human companionship but not all like to be held. After awhile they should get used to being picked up. If you get a rat from a breeder, they will all likely be used to being held. I hold my babies since birth, so they are as tame as tame can be.

Look for health signs such as poor coat condition (the coat feels course and not soft), poryphorin staining around the eyes or mouth, sneezing, congestion/wheezing, eye squinting (may be a sign of photosensitivity, which is a sign of illness), scabs, wounds, scratches, eye ulcers etc. If you look through the coat and see you see specks, chances are the rat has mites/lice. Sometimes older male rats have a lot of buck grease and it sloths off, so try not to confuse chunks of dry skin with mites. ;) If your baby doesn't show any of these signs then he/she may be healthy.

Just to let you know though, that rats can harbor viruses and bacteria that shows no symptoms when you bring them home, and then a week later they have a serious congestion problems etc. These are things you need to be aware of if you chose to get a rat...................will continue in another post so I don't lose this one to a frozen comp. :p

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 01:16 PM
As far as cages, the bigger the better is always the rule with me. You can look at www.Martinscages.com and you should find some excellent cage setups there. :) They are a little spendy but are great cages, however you do need to have room to clean them. I have an R695 and it's terrible trying to fit one into my tub. For bedding you should use either Carefresh, Yesterday's News, or aspen. :) You could even house them in a 40 gallon tank if you'd like, but it's a lot harder to clean and lug around, they don't get as much air circulation and it's a little harder to hang items such as hammocks etc. Make sure that any wire cage you get has wire spacing no larger than 1/2 inch, to protect their feet. 1/4 inch is even better.

Here is my website link. On this page you can see some of the cages I use here for my rats, and I will attach another pic as well. :)

http://www15.brinkster.com/luckies4me/About_Us.html

Scroll all the way down to the bottom. Sorry bout the ads but I am fixing that shortly. ;)

And on this page, you can find out more about what to feed. :)

http://www15.brinkster.com/luckies4me/feeding.html

I hope this info helps you. And hey if you are curious to see how baby rats develope look at this page I am in the process of making. :p

http://www15.brinkster.com/luckies4me/babies.html

Hopefully one day soon I will be done with the site! Hey if you click on home, it's snowing there. :D

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Oh and here is another pic of one of my other cages, so you get an idea. Only bigger boys can fit into this cage though. I love this cage. It's SO easy to clean, literally about five minutes without disinfecting. :) And it looks cute! :D

trayi52
12-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks Cass, I am going to go check out those pages. Say it is snowing there, must be nice, I wish we could at least have a white Christmas. Thanks for all the info, I will probably end up playing with it more than Lin does. LOL, I do want one that is tame and healthy, and I can cuddle.:)

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 02:45 PM
This totally sucks. I think that you should call the petshop and MAKE them pay for her spaying or say you will sue them lol. They TOLD me, assured me, that it was a boy. Therefore, I blame THEM for any distress lol. :D

I don't believe she would be pregnant; I suppose it's possible, but she was young when I got her; only 4 - 4 1/2 weeks. It does happen though...

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 02:48 PM
This totally sucks. I think that you should call the petshop and MAKE them pay for her spaying or say you will sue them lol. They TOLD me, assured me, that it was a boy. Therefore, I blame THEM for any distress lol. :D

I don't believe she would be pregnant; I suppose it's possible, but she was young when I got her; only 4 - 4 1/2 weeks. It does happen though...

you should call them jordan, you bought her for me lol. I am scared of scary store managers lol.

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Ok, I'll call them in a while and b*tch at them lol.

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Ok, I'll call them in a while and b*tch at them lol.

good lol. I dought they will pay for any neutering or spaying to be done :(:(. they will probably just offer your money back :(:(.

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 04:10 PM

It was YOUR responsibility to know how to sex the rats before you bring them home. You know not to rely on petshops, they don't know anything. It's not their responsibility to pay for a spay or neuter either, it's the owners.

How long have you had her? She looks around 2 months old, therefor is very much old enough to be pregnant.

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 04:14 PM
It was YOUR responsibility to know how to sex the rats before you bring them home. You know not to rely on petshops, they don't know anything. It's not their responsibility to pay for a spay or neuter either, it's the owners.

How long have you had her? She looks around 2 months old, therefor is very much old enough to be pregnant.
I did look at it, and told them that it looks like a girl (though I was sure the day before they all had testicles)... I didn't only rely on the manager; I asked the breeder, and he told me that they were all males. So I came home, looked at the sexing pics on the internet, still, it looked like a male without his testicles descended. I still think it could be a possibility.

I got the rat last Tuesday...

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 04:21 PM
Does the rat have nipples? If so, it's a doe, if not, then well it should be male, unless it has no penis.........

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 04:32 PM
I just took these pics of my old lady Wrinkles to give you all an idea on whether it's a boy or a girl. Wrinkles is a girl, so if Jynelle's rat looks like this, then it's a doe. :) Hope this helps. :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pcc28485ddc21d5f7f0a8fe0b47f9c2d1/fa3d431e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p5388b084264fb864be4146b86f53a51b/fa3d4313.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p99a4a1eb1d747a1b4ee39ad6a2a06179/fa3d430f.jpg

And yes, she's hairless. ;)

trayi52
12-21-2003, 04:58 PM
I just have to butt in and say how cute lady Wrinkles is, she is so cute with all those wrinkles, you know what she looks like a little armadillo, how cute!!!!! This Picture:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p99a4a1eb1d747a1b4ee39ad6a2a06179/fa3d430f.jpg

So cute!!!
Tray:)

Desert Arabian
12-21-2003, 05:02 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth Cass. :D

I have knowledge of ratties and know how to sex them, but I don't want to be wrong, so I am going to blame someone else for my mistake. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Eh, I don't think so! :p

--->Seeing how it is a pet store rat, I am 99.999999999% sure it will be pregnant. :( I have bought 7 does from the pet store and 4 of them were pregnant. Chloe & Daisy weren't pregnant cause they were kept with all does- which is EXTREMELY rare. Suzie wasn't pregnant because of her blessing from God, because she WAS housed with males.

P.S. Cass, Wrinkles is ADORABLE! I am coming to Oregon and stealing her!!!! :D :p

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 05:36 PM

I just love Wrinkles. :) She's so cute. :D

Frodo does have nipples, but I read on a sexing site that males do have nipples. :confused: Is that wrong or something?

YLL --- were all seven of your does four weeks old when you bought them?

Geez, I was only joking when I said I blame the pet shop. I'm still calling them though.

EDIT: I know this is a bit irrelevant, but I was looking at baby rat pics, and look how cute! Here (http://www.spoiledratten.com/_uimages/bluesclsandy11day1001.jpg) . Really shows the variety you can get, eh?

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 06:38 PM

P.S. Cass, Wrinkles is ADORABLE! I am coming to Oregon and stealing her!!!! :D :p

You know, if she ever got stolen I would pray it would be someone like you! :)

She's getting so old now. :( I am so sad because soon she won't be with me. :( I hope she lives forever! :D You know what I like most about her? Her little ears. She's always had the perkiest cutest little ears I have ever seen! :D

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 06:45 PM
I just love Wrinkles. :) She's so cute. :D

Frodo does have nipples, but I read on a sexing site that males do have nipples. :confused: Is that wrong or something?

Geez, I was only joking when I said I blame the pet shop. I'm still calling them though.

EDIT: I know this is a bit irrelevant, but I was looking at baby rat pics, and look how cute! Here (http://www.spoiledratten.com/_uimages/bluesclsandy11day1001.jpg) . Really shows the variety you can get, eh?

Thanks! :D She and Meeko are my two favoritest ratties in the whole world! :D

Buck's do not have nipples.........at least none of mine do. :p

You should see my current litter! And last litter I had 6 different colors. It's all in knowing who to breed to who to get the most variety in your litters. And Elizabeth is a fantastic person and has so much knowledge and experience breeding. :)

I really need to post pics of my current litter, as all their fur is in and they are already a week and a half old. Their eyes will be open soon!

:D

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 06:46 PM

You should see my current litter! And last litter I had 6 different colors. It's all in knowing who to breed to who to get the most variety in your litters. And Elizabeth is a fantastic person and has so much knowledge and experience breeding. :)

I really need to post pics of my current litter, as all their fur is in and they are already a week and a half old. Their eyes will be open soon!

:D
I wanna see! :D

Desert Arabian
12-21-2003, 06:50 PM
YLL --- were all seven of your does four weeks old when you bought them?

Nope, they were not. The youngest that I bought were Chloe and Daisy, they were around 7 weeks old. However, the 4 were all under 9 months old when they gave birth. And besides, Frodo is well over 4 weeks old....

Secondly, (generally) rats are not fully sexually mature until 5-6 weeks old. ;)

Orginially posted by luckies4me
You know, if she would ever get stolen I would pray it would be someone like you!

Omg, that is so nice of you to say that! :) I feel so....so....honored!! :D You know darn well she would be spoiled ratten if I stole her...hehehe!! :D :p

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 06:53 PM
And besides, Frodo is well over 4 weeks old....

Actually, Frodo was supposedly only 4 - 4 1/2 weeks when I got her. She's grown, but she's the exact same size as Fink, my dad's rat, when she was only 4 weeks old.

luckies4me
12-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Actually, Frodo was supposedly only 4 - 4 1/2 weeks when I got her. She's grown, but she's the exact same size as Fink, my dad's rat, when she was only 4 weeks old.

You said you have had her a week, and to me she looks around 2 months old, being 8 weeks. So she was ripe so to say, to get pregnant.

Desert Arabian
12-21-2003, 07:07 PM

Really!!?:confused: She just looks so large and plump! :p

Then again, they lied about the sex, hopefully they didn't lie about the age!! :eek:

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 07:07 PM
I've only had her since Tuesday though...I'm confused lol. :eek:

The rats here (http://www.spoiledratten.com/_uimages/bluesclsandyh1101.jpg) are only four weeks, and Frodo is only some bigger than them compared to Icarus, who is my small rat at 283 grams.

Oooh Cass --- can you tell how big a rat will be by it's feet? Ok, dumb question, but Frodo's feet are huge. I watched him lie down, and he kind of pushed his feet out, and I noticed that the bone before his feet stuck out alot. I know in dogs that's an indication of how big they will be (the bone before the foot). I don't remember Icarus's feet being that big...Then again I didn't get him until he was three months, so he was pretty much filled out..

EssTer
12-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Tikeya´s mom :) Your Frodo is very cute :) He looks very funny :D

Amber
12-22-2003, 09:50 AM
Jynnelle, maybe you could give Frodo to Jordan? Maybe her mom will let her.

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Amber
Jynnelle, maybe you could give Frodo to Jordan? Maybe her mom will let her.
Haha...no lol. I wish. :o My mom would never let me. And my rats are boys. I would spay her and stick her with Icarus; that would be cool. But I still don't even have enough money to neuter Frisco lol. :o

luckies4me
12-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Haha...no lol. I wish. :o My mom would never let me. And my rats are boys. I would spay her and stick her with Icarus; that would be cool. But I still don't even have enough money to neuter Frisco lol. :o

Not to be mean but this is one reason why I don't really like people giving pets are presents to friends. Now look. This poor girl was adopted, thinking she finally got into a home away from a petshop, and now she either is going back to the petshop or to a guy who breeds? What if that guy breeds her? She's hairless, and hairless should only be bred by people who know what their doing. It's sad. This girl thought she was going to have a home, and now she is going to be even more stressed out! First at where she was born, then shipped off to the petshop, then to Jordan's, then to Jynelle's and then to who knows where else!

Please do not buy a pet as a present again unless the person is willing to make a FULL commitment to the animal. Make sure it's a male next time, or make sure the person will take the animal even if it is a female. It's just not fair to the animals involved. If you want to get her a rat or some other pet again, take her to go pick it out so you can possible avoid this problem in the future.

Why don't you go ahead and contact Ayri at Whispering Wise Rattery and tell her I told you guy's to ask if she could rescue him. She's a breeder, but will NOT use her for breeding, and she's a friend of mine who takes very good care of her ratties and also knows several people who do rescue. I just want this girl to find a good home. She can get you in touch with Lizzy if she can't take her, as Lizzy runs the Homefinders? pet rescue. :)

Jordan, you comparing your hairless girl to one of Elizabeth's rats is like comparing cheap whiskey to champaign. ;) The hairless girl came from a petshop most likely, well obviously from a petshop/feeder breeder, and Elizabeth's rat are well pedigreed, extremely healthy HUGE rats. Have you looked at her pedigrees? She has some of the best lines in the US. Her rats are going to be healthier, therefor larger. But you said your rat is bigger, and to me she looks around 7-8 weeks of age.

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 11:47 AM
I didn't just give it to her without anyone knowing. Her mom told me to get her one. If I didn't, don't you think she would?

I'll take the rat and find it a home, I'm just not able to keep it forever. I know people who might be able to take her. Don't ever think I'd actually take her back to the pet shop --- that's just evil; I'd never do that.

Why don't you go ahead and contact Ayri at Whispering Wise Rattery and tell her I told you guy's to ask if she could rescue him. She's a breeder, but will NOT use her for breeding, and she's a friend of mine who takes very good care of her ratties and also knows several people who do rescue. I just want this girl to find a good home. She can get you in touch with Lizzy if she can't take her, as Lizzy runs the Homefinders? pet rescue.
Where is she? Lol. Is she around here somewhere? I can't get my mom to drive me anywhere, but maybe Jynnelle's mom?

luckies4me
12-22-2003, 12:22 PM
I didn't just give it to her without anyone knowing. Her mom told me to get her one. If I didn't, don't you think she would?

I'll take the rat and find it a home, I'm just not able to keep it forever. I know people who might be able to take her. Don't ever think I'd actually take her back to the pet shop --- that's just evil; I'd never do that.

Where is she? Lol. Is she around here somewhere? I can't get my mom to drive me anywhere, but maybe Jynnelle's mom?

I know she knew she was getting the rat, but it would have been nice if you guy's made sure it was a male, so it didn't have to be passed around from one place to the other.

I don't think you would take her back, but Jynelle mentioned she would take her back to the petshop if she was a girl, or give her to some guy. I think that since you bought her, you should rehome her, not Jynelle.

Ayri is in BC. Not sure exactly where though. But I can find out. :) I think YOU should keep her..................you know you want her. ;)

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 12:25 PM

Ayri is in BC. Not sure exactly where though. But I can find out. :) I think YOU should keep her..................you know you want her. ;)
I very muchly so would like another rat lol. ;) Buuuuut my mom sucks lol. I always thought it would be neat to get a little girl rat to house with Icarus, because he's gay lol. :o I think he'd like the female company. You know, girl talk and stuff lol. :p

luckies4me
12-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Why do you think he's gay? LOL :p

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 12:29 PM
Lol, he's so sensitive...He decorates his cage all the time...He's the oppisite of Frisco's machoness. ;) And him and Merry had a little fling LOL. It wasn't JUST a dominance thing, I knew he wanted Merry...:p LOL jk jk jk

Amber
12-22-2003, 12:37 PM
lol, and I believe this explains it all....
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid88/pfd01f06e572bc9e0fe43591315f014cf/fa8dd151.jpg
they poor guy is wearing earings!:p

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 12:42 PM
It's true! Lol. :p

trayi52
12-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Oh! How funny and soooo cute, wearing earrings!! That is so hilarious!!! Where is his little pink dress? LOL!!:D

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Ooh, good idea, I'll have to find a pink dress for him! Lol. :p

tikeyas_mom
12-22-2003, 12:49 PM
my mom said my only options were to give her back to the pet store, to the shelter, to jordan, or to somone who wants a female rat. She said the deal was not to have a female it was to have a male. and look what we got :(:(...

I would never give her away if I had a choice :(:(.

moms can suck. :(:(.. I wish i could get her spayed but It was be so risky :(:(. I am trying to find a home for her on petratscanada. i bet somone living in my area can take her in ...

*prays*

luckies4me
12-22-2003, 01:03 PM
I know that moms suck when it comes to pets, at least my mom did. :( But that's why I have tons now! :D hehe When I was little I would always bring home stray animals like dogs, and my mom would always take the dogs to the pound. When I was in 6th grade, my mom took my lop bunny to the petstore. One day though, things just changed and we kept Blacky, then along came Ickeris, and Wacko, and we had all our tiels (I could always keep a bird if I had one, my moms a bird fanatic) and then after I moved back into my family and met Dan, I was going to move to Oregon, they BEGGED me to keep Baby, and then there was three. Then Thor came along, and now I really think they are addicted to cats. Then there's my brother's toad, and my moms budgie too. My mom wants a hedgie but they are illegal in California. :p

But ya my point being is that once you move out and have your own place and a job, you don't have to worry about this. :)

I hope you both can find her a wonderful home. I would take her in a heartbeat if I lived closer.

luckies4me
12-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Oh and just to clarify, my mom gave my bunny to the petshop because our other two, rexes I think they were, were eaten by my moms bf's brother. :( He actually took them from our yard and cooked them. :(

tikeyas_mom
12-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Oh and just to clarify, my mom gave my bunny to the petshop because our other two, rexes I think they were, were eaten by my moms bf's brother. :( He actually took them from our yard and cooked them. :(

ewww:mad: :mad: thats sick

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 01:12 PM
I know how that is, and I shall rebel when I move out! :D My mom thinks that I'm going to be a hoarder with the smelliest place ever. I can't wait to invite her over and show her my nice clean place with nice clean little animals in nice clean little enviornments. Ahhh.

trayi52
12-22-2003, 01:34 PM
Cass, somehow I knew you were one of those little girls, that picked up strays and brought them home. LOL.

Something else girls, when you move out on your own, and you meet Mr. Wonderful, make sure Mr. Wonderful understands that you love your pets and that if he does not agree to that, then just say bye, bye. Find somebody that loves animals as much as you do. I forgot to ask when my "Mr. Wonderful" came along and we really have some bad times because of that, he didn't have pets when he was growing up, so he don't like them at all, he says he hates all my cats and dogs. He loves my bird, and he loves the ferret, but that is all he likes. I am a person that don't give up on things in my life, so I have stayed, I married him warts and all. Just don't make a committment to somebody until you know if they are suited to you.

That was probably way off the topic, well I know it was way off topic. So I am a rambling talker.LOL:D

Amber
12-22-2003, 01:35 PM
I wish I could take her, I'd love to have a rat....

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 01:37 PM

Something else girls, when you move out on your own, and you meet Mr. Wonderful, make sure Mr. Wonderful understands that you love your pets and that if he does not agree to that, then just say bye, bye. Find somebody that loves animals as much as you do.
Mr. Wonderful will be Mr. Semi-Wonderful unless he likes my pets! ;) I'm always sure to blabber on about animals when I go on dates and see if the person actually responds appropriatly. The guy that I like right now really loves animals and is thinking about becoming a hedgehog breeder when he's older and if he has some money. :D

Amber
12-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Cass, somehow I knew you were one of those little girls, that picked up strays and brought them home. LOL.

Something else girls, when you move out on your own, and you meet Mr. Wonderful, make sure Mr. Wonderful understands that you love your pets and that if he does not agree to that, then just say bye, bye. Find somebody that loves animals as much as you do. I forgot to ask when my "Mr. Wonderful" came along and we really have some bad times because of that, he didn't have pets when he was growing up, so he don't like them at all, he says he hates all my cats and dogs. He loves my bird, and he loves the ferret, but that is all he likes. I am a person that don't give up on things in my life, so I have stayed, I married him warts and all. Just don't make a committment to somebody until you know if they are suited to you.

That was probably way off the topic, well I know it was way off topic. So I am a rambling talker.LOL:D

That is a great peice of advise, Ill take it! I was also the type that brought home strays, mostly cats..I remember it being winter and I took these 2 strays and stuck them in my moms car, I didnt want them to be cold! lol...

trayi52
12-22-2003, 01:51 PM
I hope you girls listen, I have been working at this marrige for 33 years. To tell you the truth, I would ask for references first before becoming a " Mr. Wonderful" owner. LOL, who knows it could work. You go for a job, they want references, and this could be more important, because it could be a lifetime commitment. Agree?

tikeyas_mom
12-22-2003, 08:30 PM
i wont even think of dating somone that doesnt like animals. all animals, even the creepy crawly ones :p

tikeyas_mom
12-22-2003, 10:07 PM
considering Frodo is a male name lol *habbits rock* I am going to name this lil hairless Rosie *Samwize Gamgee's wife in LORD of the rings the return of the king :)*..

I was also debating Arowen.. but i dont know yet because i am on a hobbit theme ;)

kingrattus
12-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Rob doesn't really like pets much, he calls them all food. But he tries really hard to like my pets. He loves the turtle, just becuase the turtle eats live things (guys sheesh)... But Rob really started to develope a good relationship with Max. Rob has never met a well behaved dog before (the ones here kinds run wild), Max was always untied & not fenced in, u could sit & drink a pop on the front steps & he would lay in the grass & wouldn't get up even if a dog or cat walked by. Max wasn't yappy & Max loved to play tug-of-war & he was a very powerful dog & it was hard to get him to let go or the rope.

I think I'll stick with Rob, cause he'll let me get what ever pet I want as long as he can play with it, but not clean up after it (& putting max outside never bugged him).& seeing Rob cry while burring Max, showed me that he does love animals deep down , but his parents have forced the love deep down (not very nice parents if u ask me)

trayi52
12-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Jesse, that is good enough. If there was tears while he was helping you with Max there is a heart there that you can get through to. If he lets you get whatever kind of pet you want, that is another good point, believe me on this. The cleaning up part is just fine too. Don't blame you at all, you stick with Rob, he sounds like a keeper.

Willie