PDA

View Full Version : Should I get another dog?

Tonya
12-20-2003, 03:01 PM
As many of you know, I just recently rehomed Teddy because he wasn't working out in our house. (Here's the thread http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39991&highlight=I+rehomed+Teddy) I already miss him so bad! I've went and visited him like everyday. He's really happy there.

Anyways, I'm thinking about rescuing a small adult female dog. If I get an adult, I'll already know her personality and habits. Also, I tend to have much better luck with females. What do you all think?

Be sure to read the other thread before you vote, so that you have the background. I appreciate your honesty. :)

Tonya
12-20-2003, 03:14 PM
http://www.petsnpals.net/8288.jpg

Ok, not a small dog, but she's been there forever. I remember her a year or two ago!

Black/White Female Bull Terrier Mix
Tally is a wonderful dog. She loves everybody, is good with other dogs, has been spayed, is a good watchdog, medium in size & ready for a home.

Tonya
12-20-2003, 03:14 PM
http://www.petsnpals.net/6433.jpg

So has Tessa.

Tonya
12-20-2003, 03:15 PM
http://www.petsnpals.net/0484.jpg

Ok, one more. Sorry. To young though.

Rio and Me
12-20-2003, 03:27 PM
I say go for it.
I belive the reason you rehomed Teddy is because he didnt fit your life etc? Not because you didnt have time, love and space for him!
So if you could rescue a needy dog that would suit you and your dogs then you'd be doing a good thing for the dog and you!
Ky and Rio
PS the dog's you shown are gorgeous!!!

Amber
12-20-2003, 03:45 PM
I think you should get another dog, but you said "But I don't feel that I can provide a good home to a small dog." So maybe you should go for something medium or bigger. But yeah, If you have the time I say go for it!! :D

primabella
12-20-2003, 03:49 PM
I really think it's up to you. But as Amber brought up, you did say you couldn't provide a good home to a small dog, so I think sticking to medium or bigger dogs would be best. The worst thing to do would be to get yourself in the same situation as you did with Teddy.

The dogs you posted are all beautiful. :)

Tonya
12-20-2003, 04:32 PM
I think you are right. If I do get one, it should be at least 15lbs. It is impossible to keep a 5lb dog in a fence.

Kfamr
12-20-2003, 04:36 PM
I don't really think any of us can tell you if you should get another dog or not. It's really up to if you're able to provide everything a dog needs for another dog, as well as the people in your household agree (whomever has a say) -- Financially, physically, and emotionally. It's sort of like having a child, you can't really make a poll on it. :p

Tonya
12-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Kfamr, of course it'll be ultimately my decision, but I don't see anything wrong with a poll. It's good to hear input before I make my decision.

Kfamr
12-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Yes, but what i'm saying is no one here, unless they live in your household, can really say if you should get one or not.

Tonya
12-20-2003, 04:43 PM
You all practically do live in my household. lol. I hold nothing back! I think PT knows me better then my family.

Kfamr
12-20-2003, 04:49 PM
What does your husband think of it? :p

Tonya
12-20-2003, 04:53 PM
My husband is a meathead...(joke, honey...i love you!) I never listen to him when it comes to pets. lol. It was his idea first. He gave me a heart attack the day after Ted left by bringing up getting a female dog. I told him no way in heck. -I didn't want to chance getting heartbroken again. But I'm already craving! I'm thinking my odds will be better with an adult. It's so hard to tell how a baby puppy is going to turn out. I am a pretty forgiving mommy, my big dogs have put me through heck many times...But Ted was just way to much.

Kfamr
12-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Best thing to do is that all of your human family, that live in the house, to go to the Humane Society or Dog Shelter as often as you can. Check out all of the dogs, and eventually one will catch your heart and your eye -- bring the pups in to meet, if it all works out, it was meant to be! :p

Tonya
12-20-2003, 05:03 PM
They ALL catch my heart and eye! Mike and I just talked about it. I think we are going to get another dog, but we are going to wait a while first. I can't set foot into a shelter until the time comes. Otherwise, I'll be bringing home a dog or two before I'm ready. :D

Cinder & Smoke
12-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
... I can't set foot into a shelter until the time comes.
... I'll be bringing home a dog or two before I'm ready. :D

MAYBE ?? the way to handle this is to send just
Mike & Junior to the Shelter
on a shopping trip... ??

Let da Boyz pick out a Good Possible #3...
then You and #1 + #2 Dawggies can go in and have a looky-see...

Twisterdog
12-20-2003, 11:09 PM
It is impossible to keep a 5lb dog in a fence.

Well, that is, of course, simply not true. It is impossible to keep a five pound dog is some fences, to be sure. But I have literally hundreds of customers with 3, 4, 5 or 6 pound dogs, and they all stay in their fences just fine. My eight pound dog has never gotten out of the fence.

You stated that you weren't the right home for a small dog, however. I think you need to stick with that. If you do decide to get another dog, I think you need to get a larger dog.

Tonya
12-20-2003, 11:12 PM
I'll correct myself...It is impossible to keep a 5 lb dog in a fence with Roxy's digging.

I think you are right...no small dogs. I've been thinking about it all day. I am just missing Teddy so much that it makes me feel like another dog. But I am going to wait and/or not get a dog for sure. I'm just going to pour that love into the rest of my pets.

aly
12-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Does Roxy get along with other females?

It'd be great if you could have your dogs meet the shelter dog before you make the decision to adopt. A lot of shelters do this, but I'm not sure about the one by you.

Tonya
12-20-2003, 11:25 PM
Roxy gets along very well with other animals. I'd trust her with anything. I'm going to wait. I think when I brought this up this morning, I was just feeling sad. I'm so used to Ted's little feet pitter pattering around the house.

Rio and Me
12-21-2003, 03:19 AM
I think it's great that if/when you adopt you want an older dog, they never get a first look in.
Maybe you might fall in love with an elderly dog!
Ky and Rio

dukedogsmom
12-21-2003, 07:57 AM
All those dogs you listed look great. I'm sure you'll find the right one when it's time. There are so many good dogs out there wanting homes. Wish I had a huge place because they'd all be with me.