PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your pet has an accident?

Dogz
12-20-2003, 11:31 AM
What do you do when you pet has an accident on the floor?

If my pets make an accident, I ask them, "What is that?" And then I just say 'no' and put them in the crate for a minute. They don't stay in there for long though.

EDIT: This is only if this is right after they do it (I see them just walking away from it, if I catch them in the act I also go, "UH, UH" but my dogs haven't had an accident in a long time.:)
What do you do?

aly
12-20-2003, 11:45 AM
If I catch them in the act, I said "UH UH" and quickly take them outside or to their litter box. If I don't catch them in the act, I just clean it up! Nothing you can do if you don't catch them in the act.

My dogs never have accidents though - only Reece when he's sick. The cats do sometimes if the litter box is too messy.

green_chameleon_girl
12-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Well when our dogs have an accident we say "Bad Girl" and put them outside well we clean the mess and when the come inside they expect a treat and dont get it. Thats our way of no violence punishment. I have been over at peoples houses and they hit there animals for having an accident!:( I never hit my dogs if they have an accident on the floor.. If they are sick then we let it go. Its the right thing to do lol;) But our dogs barley have accidents they are trained to ring a bell attached on our back door if they want out.

primabella
12-20-2003, 11:49 AM
As Aly said, if I don't catch Mickey in the act, I don't really do anything. Just clean it up, mask the scent, ect. If we do catch him in the act, we tell him "No" and take him outside and give him his "Go Potty" command. But he hasn't had an accident in a long time. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
12-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Honestly, there's only been one accident in my house with Molly. And that was when she was a puppy. I just brought her over to the spot, said "NO" and brought her outside to show her where to go. After that, she's never had another one. :)

Daisy never had an accident in the house. I kept bringing her outside every hour when she was a puppy, and in a matter of days, she knew that was where she had to go. :)

Now, they both alert my parents or me if they need to go out.

Sorry if I went off topic a little bit. :o

cali
12-20-2003, 02:10 PM
a loud stern NO, and pick them up and take them outside, even if they are in the middle of the act they can finich outside, NOT in the house. as for happys problem I have no idea what to do, I have NEVER cought her in the act and there is no way to keep her out of the basment, the carpets have been shampooed several times to remove the smell of old accidents, but its not working, she responds to no scolding after the fact, because I have no idea how long ago it was that she did it.. drives me insane, its like she is afraid to come upstairs to be let out, either that or she is just to lazy :rolleyes:

edited because knowing people her the term "tossed" will be taken litterally.

Tonya
12-20-2003, 02:16 PM
I fall to my knees and cry hysterically. ;)

Dusty and Roxy just know better. They never have accidents and I never had to potty train them.

Teddy on the other hand was so bad! I'd say "No!" and take him outside. If he went outside, I got all happy.

trayi52
12-20-2003, 02:44 PM
The way I done my Rottweiler, was if she had an accident, then I would say no in a loud firm voice, and then take her outside, where I had all her other little accident staked out, show her, and let her smell the previous accidents, and just say hurry up go potty, she soon got the idea, and as soon as I took her out and said the magic words, Hurry Up, Go Potty, she squatted on command and done her duty.

But most of them time, I am like Tonya, I fall to my knees and cry hysterically too. LOL.
;) :)

Kfamr
12-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Mine are completely housetrained and Don't have accidents in the house. They tell me when they need to go out.

Before Nala was housetrained, if she Pee'd i'd tell her "NO" and then bring her outside. I always caught her in the act because I kept watch of her 24/7 (as you should with a puppy)

Simba only had one accident in the house since we've had him, and that's because no one let him out yet. This was of course years ago.

Amber
12-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Katie only had 1 accident in the house. She was a good girl.
But when we had Brodie, if I caught him I would say NO put him outside/or in his crate. and clean it up

Rio and Me
12-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Rio is too completely house trained, the only time she will have an accident is if she's sick or its my fault for not letting her out etc
So if she has an accident I dont do anything because either its my fault or she couldnt help it!
It rarly happens.
Ky and Rio

binka_nugget
12-20-2003, 06:53 PM
Well, it's been a while but I had to do this alot when Kai was a pup. He wasn't 100% trusted in the house until he was 9 months old. If I caught him in the act, I'd tell him "UH UH! Bad boy!" and take him out immediately. If he peed outside, I'd praise like crazy. If I didn't catch him doing it, I'd put him aside while I cleaned it up.

Pam
12-20-2003, 07:30 PM
When I was training Bella I would always say NO! OUTSIDE! and then promptly pick her up and take her outside and praise her like crazy when she would go in the yard. Fortunately for me, Ripley arrived housebroken. :) He only went in the house a couple of times during the first two days and I think it was more a case of learning where the door was and how to get my attention when he wanted to go outside. :)

tikeyas_mom
12-20-2003, 07:46 PM
EDIT: all my dogs are house trained and baby is one her way to being a respectable young lady she goes to the door now when she has to pee.

Where Tikeya was little we rubbed her nose in the pee, or we would grab the poop and place it on the grass and say "poo goes here". Tikeya took forever to house train.

Oscar we paper trainer and touched his nose to a bell on the door whenever he went pee, sooner or later he rang the bell by himself.

Baby we attached a short lead to our waists and then made her go everywhere in the house with us, and even outside. that seemed to work very well

stacwase
12-20-2003, 08:20 PM
Mine our housetrained. Max came that way. But when I was training Jake I would yell "Outside!" as soon as he looked like he was getting ready to go. That would startle him enough to make him stop. Then I'd bring him outside and praise him to high heaven when he went. If I didn't catch him, I would just clean it up and not say anything.

Max seems to think the basement is outside. I can see where he'd get confused - it's an old, damp basement. If I could heave ever caught him in the act I would have just run him outside. But - I couldn't. So we just put up a door so he can't get down there anymore.

wolf_Q
12-21-2003, 11:45 AM
When Nebo was a pup I'd say OUTSIDE! then hurry and rush him outside. I don't believe he ever went potty in the house when I didn't catch him, as I watched him like a hawk (not just for potty, he gets into things/eats stuff too). I attached a bell to the door and rang it when I took him out. He caught on really fast, now he rings the bell when he wants out...which is great, because Nebo rarely barks, so it's a good way for him to let me know.

Smokey has to wear a diaper, he pees in the house ALL the time....sometimes I yell no but usually I don't even bother, he won't stop.

Reggie is older too, and has had a few accidents...though all the recent ones, nobody has caught him in the act.

Dogz
12-21-2003, 11:50 AM
We have bells on our door too!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom

Where Tikeya was little we rubbed her nose in the pee, or we would grab the poop and place it on the grass and say "poo goes here". Tikeya took forever to house train.

That's probably why. You aren't supposed to rub their noses in it, what does that teach them??

tikeyas_mom
12-21-2003, 12:11 PM
no kidding :rolleyes: i know that now, i didnt then.

Cataholic
12-21-2003, 06:21 PM
LOL...when I adopted Binx, he was 4 months old, and completely house trained. Then, he had a major accident over my dad's house, after sir jury...he EVEN told us he had to go out, and being a new parent, I didn't recognize it.

Then, he had a few accidents after sirjury again. I did nothing, but, cleaned it up.

Then, during the 30 day diarehhea blitx, I simply cleaned it up. What else could I do? I certainly never said anything to him. He knew it wasn't supposed to be everywhere in the house. It was an accident. So, I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.

The word accident says it all for me. It isn't a matter of housetraining. It is an accident. Shoot. As an adult...I know they happen~