PDA

View Full Version : Mommy Cat Question

FurMomx6
12-19-2003, 10:43 PM
KC's kittens are 8 weeks old now and she has still been trying to nurse them. We only have two kittens left because the other ones have found homes and when we seperate KC from them, she meows like crazy. She also still has some milk. Does anyone know why she isn't trying to stop them from nursing or why she's producing milk still? When the two kittens try to nurse on her, she just lays there and lets them. She doesn't try to stop them at all. Any advice?

Also, is it ok to get her spayed now even though she still does have milk?

Thanks!

aly
12-19-2003, 11:04 PM
She's still producing milk because they're still nursing. If they stop for awhile then she will start to dry up. I wouldn't worry about it because it is normal to still be producing milk when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

I would wait a couple weeks for her to dry up before you spay her.

Fox-Gal
12-20-2003, 01:30 AM
First off it's ok to go get her fixed now even if she still has milk, the last mommy cat I had fixed was still nursing, but the kittens where 8 weeks old and eating on there own so it was not a problem. I was glad I did she was in heat right after that so if god forbid she ever got out I could have had more kittens.

Even after she was fixed the kittens still nursed off her for months later, they got no milk but at least had their mommys love. They where almost as big as their mom and still nursing, it was so funny looking. I think they still be trying if mom didn't stop them......I think she finally got feed up with them trying.

Call your vet and I'm sure he will tell you it's fine to bring her in now. And if she lets them nurse don't worry about it, nature will take it course, mom will get tired of it and stop it in her own time.

aly
12-20-2003, 01:44 AM
Here is some advice that I think is really good. It also supports the suggestion to wait a couple weeks before spaying her:

http://familyfun.go.com/raisingkids/learn/activities/expert/petvetweaningkittens/petvetweaningkittens.html

Another page saying to wait 2 weeks:

http://www.catsatriversideshelter.co.uk/problempage.htm

Fox-Gal
12-20-2003, 03:11 AM
I'm not being meaning to be out of place here or anything but I read that link you gave and if I read it right, which as tired as I am I might not have. :o

It say at 5 weeks start to take the mommy away for awhile then wait another week and total seperate them and in other 2 weeks get the mother spayed. That adds up to 8 weeks Right? Thats why I said to call the vet now, around this time she could and most likely will go into heat again

Then the other link says wait 10 weeks or if you leave it any longer she will probably get pregnant again!

Thats why I suggested that she call the vet, her kittens are 8 weeks old so by the time she get her into the vet it should be a good time to get it done.

As for waiting for the milk to dry up, yes thats good but I never had a problem and my vet has always told me it's fine, not to worry about that. Now you have me wondering about it and it looks like I'm going to have to question him again about that.

jenluckenbach
12-20-2003, 04:02 AM
That might add up tp 8 weeks, but the key is that the kittens were weaned and no longer nursing. It is suppose to be 2 weeks AFETR they stop nursing. But don't be in a hurry to wean them, if mom lets them then it's OK. The longer they are with her the better off in the long run they will be. On the other hand, some moms FORCE their babies to stop early. It is a woman's right to choose, I guess.

aly
12-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Yup, as Jen said, its 2 weeks after the kittens stop nursing - no matter what age they happen to be.

Its really important to let a mommy get back to normal before she goes through surgery.

catmandu
12-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Actually , in the wild the mother Cat would stop feeding at 8 weeks , but in a safe enviroment , she has the luxury of keeping the Cats fed.So there is nothing to worry about , as a Mother Cats milk is the best thing for Kittens.

moosmom
12-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Fox_Gal,

When I was fostering Sydney, I was told by the vet to wait for 2 weeks after she stops nursing, otherwise there's a chance the milk could leak into her abdominal cavity.

aly
12-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Along with what moosmom said, I think their body is just better able to handle surgery once their hormones get back under control. Its pretty taxing to have babies, nurse for 8 weeks, then go through surgery right away.

FurMomx6
12-20-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks a whole lot for all the information. It's really helped. I'll have my mom call the vet and see what she thinks about getting her spayed. I guess momma is just being an overly good mom! ;)

amoore
12-20-2003, 03:36 PM
It is better to ask your vet. He knows what your cat's health is and we don't.

You are a good mommy.:)