PDA

View Full Version : My Gigi is gone

Julie Grove
12-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Tonight, my little Gigi died. I took her to the vet. We saw a different one as our usual is on holiday. It was a locum. An hour later my Gigi was dead. She had her usual jabs for her breathing and ones to make her feel better. She also had a different one, something to help her stomach - to ease the nausea. I took her home and she laid on the floor and cried and just dragged herself across the floor. She cried again and again. I took her back to the vet and she just didn't get better. She just kept crying. I couldn't watch any more and so I said she must sleep now. I couldn't do anything else to help her. I can't believe she is gone and I don't really understand what went wrong. This visit shouldn't have been any different from the others. I just don't understand.

RedHedd
12-19-2003, 05:10 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Gigi :( What went wrong? What is a locum? Was she sick?

Welcome to PT, Julie. I just wish it were under better circumstances. Rest well at the Rainbow Bridge little Gigi. Play hard and give my RB Goldie a kiss for me. Just know that you were loved here. Godspeed that you're out of your pain and suffering. You will be missed sweet little one. :( :(

slick
12-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Julie, I'm so so sorry I didn't see this post until now. It sounds like you are such a good Moewmie and knew when the time was right for Gigi to take the trip to the RB. Take comfort in knowing the Gigi is now happy and running around and playing with all the other RB kitties right now. Hugs to you Julie.

RedHedd, Julie posted that Gigi had cancer in the beginning of December.

Steffi N
12-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Julie, I am sorry that you have lost your darling Gigi. We cannot tell why someone’s time to leave this life comes when it does. Be comforted knowing that you did all you could for her and that she is not suffering any more. Gigi will live forever in your heart. I hope that you will stay with Pet Talk. Best wishes to you and when you are ready, please let us meet your tabby Lucy.

rg_girlca
12-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Oh Julie, I am so, so sorry for the loss of your precious Gigi.
Please take comfort in knowing that you did everything possible you could for her and that you made the right decision to help ease her pain and suffering.
Rest in Peace sweetheart and have fun at Rainbow Bridge.

RedHedd
12-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by slick
RedHedd, Julie posted that Gigi had cancer in the beginning of December.
Thanks, slick - I thought so. Poor Gigi.

Julie, just know that you did the right thing. I lost my Goldie to liver cancer this past April. She gave it a brave battle for a couple of months. When the time came I knew helping her across the bridge was the right thing to do - she was in the same condition as Gigi, crying and unable to move her back end. I will never forget our last night together. She crawled up into bed with me, barely able to move, but she made it up to the bed and then fell over the pillow onto me. I held her and we cried together for the rest of the night as we knew it would be our last together. It wasn't easy at all. She'd been my baby for over 14 years. Now I'm crying too. Be gentle with yourself.

Julie Grove
12-20-2003, 12:13 AM
It is nearly 6am here in UK and can't sleep for thinking about Gigi. Just a few hours ago she was here in my life and now she's gone. I know she is in a better place but I can't get my head round this right now. This wasn't meant to happen - not yet. My plan was for her to be at home, no suffering, no pain and no stress of being at the vets which is what she hated so much. To go with me and Lulu at her side. I promised her I would not keep taking her to the vets but I didn't keep my promise. But sometimes I just didn't have any other choice. Or maybe I did. I told her when she was leaving how much I loved her and how special she was, and how so very lucky I am to have been able to spend my life with such a beautiful cat. I said sorry for not being able to make her well but told her that she would soon be seeing all our other pets at Rainbow Bridge and that she should keep an eye out for her mum.

I will, now that I shall have some free time, concentrate on learning how to post pictures and you can all see just how beautiful Gigi really is. God, my life for a long time now has been taken up with nursing my sick cat. I think I may feel a bit lost for a while, and just can't bear the thought of not seeing her and touching her.

I bought a bottle of champagne for Christmas Day but I have just opened it and I shall now have a drink and celebrate my Gigi's life - I know she would approve!

Thanks for listening - so sorry to ramble on but it feels very therapeutic.

p.s. A locum is a temporary vet. Can't help but think that if Patrick had treated her, things may be different right now....?

krazyaboutkatz
12-20-2003, 01:47 AM
Julie, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.:( I'm sure that Gigi is now playing up at Rainbow Bridge and is finally pain free. Just remember the good times that you had with her and she'll always be alive in your heart. RIP sweet Gigi. Please take care.

sasvermont
12-20-2003, 06:51 AM
Julie, my heart goes out to you as I know how difficult times can be when your pet dies. Many of us have lost pets and I suspect none of us have ever really gotten over it, just lived to enjoy new pets, knowing that some day they too will pass on to RB. It is just oh so sad of a time.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sallyanne

smokey the elder
12-20-2003, 08:06 AM
I'm so sorry you lost your cat. My Smokey the Elder went to the RB 4 years ago yesterday. I miss her to bits, but I think she set me on the path to cat rescuing. Who knows what ideas Gigi will put into your heart.

(sorry about the typo-my bad.)

RedHedd
12-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Julie I know that feeling so very well. We think we're ready for the end and then when it happens, we discover that we're not - that's so very human and normal. I had been taking care of a very sick Goldie for over three months when I had to put her down. My heart and my home felt so empty; I felt lost. I felt like I had nothing to do and no warm purring cat to do it with. Actually, I did have a lot to do - the first weekend I shampooed the carpets in my apartment and cleaned - she'd had diarrhea her last few months and it was hard to keep up with the cleaning while she was alive and very sick. So I kept busy and cleaned while crying.

It took me months to be able to put together a photo album of all of Goldie's pictures. I kept them out on my coffee table and looked at them often until I finally put them in an album. Many of them are tear-stained, but that's okay. I loved her so very much. I didn't have a digital while she was alive, and was shocked to discover that I had fewer than 100 pictures of her, each one is so special and is finally in an appropriate album.

Julie, it will hurt for a while and you will never forget her. You did the best you could do. When you get her ashes, put them in a special place. Don't beat yourself up for taking her to the vet - you did the right thing. Be gentle with yourself.

ChrisH
12-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Oh, Julie, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious girl. :(

Rest in Peace dear Gigi.

{{Hugs}}

Julie Grove
12-20-2003, 09:58 AM
Thank you so much for your kind words. Today is the first day for me. Just the beginning, I know. I feel so bad because I love my other cat, little Lucy, but it doesn't feel the same. During Gi's illness everything I did was for her, my whole existence was about making Gi feel better, and I think that Lucy must have felt left out. It's just that Gi needed me more, and I just didn't have any energy left for anything or anyone else. All I could think about was my princess. Today, Lucy is very quiet and has not eaten. And neither have I - I think I will cook us a very nice dinner.

Thank you again.

catcrazylady
12-20-2003, 10:27 PM
Oh Julie, I just read this and I'm so so sorry. Your story brought tears to my eyes. We all understand your loss and how painful it is. I just wish there were magic words to make it better, but there aren't. You knew when the time was right for her to go and you did a kind deed when you ended her pain. God Bless you for giving her peace and may God give you peace in your heart.
Give little Lucy lots of hugs because it sounds like she is grieving too. Maybe she will help give you peace.
God Bless

trayi52
12-21-2003, 01:30 AM
Julie, I am so sorry for your loss, I know how it feels to lose a cat that you love so much, and has become a huge part of your life. I hope you get to feeling better soon. I know it takes awhile though, wish there was something I could say or do, but there is nothing except to say I am truly sorry for your great loss.:(

Tray

iloverat
12-21-2003, 01:39 AM
Julie,

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. It is astounding that such small creatures can create such huge holes in our hearts when they leave us. Their relatively short life spans are the only down side to us sharing our lives and love with these furbabies. In the end, though, our lives are so much richer with them that we accept the trade-off and welcome them into our homes and our hearts.

It sounds as if you and Lulu both need each other right now. May you find comfort in her presence and in the knowledge that the two of you will traverse this rough time together. Please come to PetTalk and spend some time with other animal lovers who understand the pain you are feeling. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care.

Bobbi

Julie Grove
12-21-2003, 07:07 AM
Thank you Bobbi. During Gi's illness I learnt so much and maybe my experiences will one day help someone else. I will stay at Pet Talk as I still have another beautiful cat here with me and I would love to share her with you all.

Killearn Kitties
12-22-2003, 03:21 AM
I'm so sorry you have lost your precious Gigi. This can't be an easy time for you, but I think you did the right thing by taking her to the vet when you did. Gigi was very ill and must have been in pain.

Rest in peace little one, free from pain and heartache.

I'm sorry I have just seen your thread. How is little Lulu after a few days?

{{{{Hugs}}}} to you both.

Cataholic
12-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Dear Julie,
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Gigi. know that she is safe from pain, running free at RB, just waiting until you are united again.
RIP,
Johanna

Julie Grove
12-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone, today Gigi was cremated. She took with her a photograph of me and one of Lucy. She also took with her a little pink heart and a pink rose which was given to me by my friend Carole. Today was a beautiful sunny day so I placed a rose on the bench in the garden - her favourite place to sit. I know I have done the right thing for Gi but the pain of her not being here is just so big - I still keep thinking that I might wake up soon and it will all have been a very bad dream.

I went shopping today to buy Lulu some presents. She has some very nice new toys and has been happy to play with them. She is still fairly quiet and not eating very much, but today we shared some peanut butter on toast. That's her favourite. I love her very much.

iloverat
12-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Dearest Julie,

After reading your posts regarding sweet Gigi, there's no doubt in my mind that you gave her the best life any human could possibly offer a kitty. The knowledge that we have loved well and offered the very best in care for our babies eventually helps soften the terrible pain inflicted when they leave us.

I am glad that you and Lucy are able to share a special treat (peanut butter on toast - yum). Please accept a computer {{{hug}}} from a newly found friend and pass it on to Lucy for me, too. I wish the best for you both, now and in the days to come.

Take care -- Bobbi

PayItForward
12-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Julie,

Rest in peace sweet Gigi :(

You were much loved in your earth life, now it is time to play on the bridge, free of pain. :(

{{hugs}}} to you and Lulu.

It is very hard to lose a beloved pet, our thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Looking forward to seeing photos of Gigi & Lulu, soon :)

kittenwhiskerz
12-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Remember that Gigi will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. You will be together again. Hugs to you and little Lucy, who needs all your love and reassurance right now. We have lost beloved, fuzzy family members and know for certain that the remaining dear four footed babies do indeed grieve. Just like we humans do. I think you are a wonderful and loving kitty Mom, and that you did the very best for Gigi. Please let us hear about Lucy when you feel like it. Best Wishes.......Darrolanne from California

Julie Grove
12-23-2003, 05:58 PM
It is very comforting to read all these messages - they have kept me going over the last few days. I have got a lot of pleasure from logging on and re-reading the posts and looking at the pictures of everyone's cats - they are all just so adorable. I want to write about Lucy but I don't feel able right now.

AvaJoy
12-23-2003, 07:53 PM
I want to extend my condolences on the loss of your precious Gigi. I'm sure she is grateful that you were able to know when it was her time to pass on. It sounds like Lucy is ready to help you through the grief process . . . cats are great healers, and you have each other to lean on in this time of sorrow.

catcrazylady
01-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Julie we will be here when your ready to share photo's and more memories. The day will come when you will be able to do that and it will be bittersweet. My heart breaks for you and Lucy. She is feeling your pain as well as her own.
God bless you Julie and Lucy. Gi will never be forgotten but we pray that the pain of the loss will soon ease.

Julie Grove
01-03-2004, 06:38 AM
Hi. I had hoped that I would be able to write about Lucy and post pictures by now but I am feeling too sad. But I would like to write about Gigi. I thought that by now I would be feeling a bit better but I don't. It has been two weeks since Gigi died and I miss her more than ever. Every day I pine for her more and more. It feels like I haven't seen her for such a long time.

Gigi used to sit in the garden and stare through the window to try and catch my attention so that I would open it and let her in. Of course I always did open the window, asking her why couldn't she use the catflap like a 'normal' cat! Since she died I've had this silly idea that if I kept a candle alight in the window she might see it and come home....I know she won't but I can't give up just yet.

Some things I miss about Gigi: I miss her complaining about the food I give her and the way she would somehow manage to get me to open four different types of food and then always eat the first one and leave the others. I miss the way she would be waiting for me when I got home from work and roll over on her back for me to tickle her soft fluffy tummy. I miss the way she moaned every time I spoke to someone on the phone and then walk away once I had put the phone down. I miss the way she would come charging through the catflap during the night and insist on waking me to tell me what she had been doing out there. I miss the way she was always ready for a cuddle no matter what. I miss looking out of the window and seeing her sitting on the garden bench. I miss her soft pink pads and her single black one and I miss the little black freckle on her bottom lip. I miss her very floppy belly and her little ginger bit under her nose. I miss the games we used to play. I just miss every part of her. I miss my little shadow.

Sorry to ramble - thanks for listening.

catmandu
01-05-2004, 09:12 AM
That sometimes , sadly is the way , that some Cat go. My Scrappy , I found him , in his bed, and I didnt realize that he was gone , until I touched him. Poor Gigi , you were a Good Cat , and we hope that your suffering was not long . But now you are among friends , and have al eternity to be happy. Found cats salute GIGI , and mourn you!

ramanth
01-05-2004, 10:48 AM
So sorry for you loss. :(

Kirsten
01-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Oh, Julie, now I'm sitting here crying over your Gigi, and I'm so very, very sorry! :(

It's hard to understand why these things do happen, especially when it comes so unexpected.

The first weeks are the hardest, when you beging to realize she's really gone. Please know you can come here anytime and talk about her whenever you feel the need to.

(((HUGS))),
Kirsten

CatDad
01-23-2004, 06:21 PM
I remember seeing this one, and I cannot believe that I didi not post to it.

RIP little Gigi, and have fun on the Rainbow Bridge.