PDA

View Full Version : leaving lefty behind

Smilla
12-19-2003, 02:32 PM
I have one more reason to dislike holiday travel...I'm going to have to board Lefty when I leave for Texas this weekend.

Anyway, I found what I think will be a good kennel. It came highly recommended by two people I asked. They have large indoor and outdoor runs, and he'll be paired with a "buddy" (a female) of a similar size and temperament. Since he likes other dogs, I thought this would be better than a kennel where he'd just be kept in a cage by himself all day.

Still, I've felt guilty since last week, especially since he's been in full cuddlebug mode lately...

primabella
12-19-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm sure Lefty will have a good time at the kennel. I understand how you feel. We're probably going to go on vacation this summer, and that means leaving Mickey behind. :(

Don't worry about it. Lefty will be fine and when you get back, he'll pick up from where he left off with his cuddly-ness. ;)

K9soul
12-19-2003, 03:26 PM
It's so hard to part from them isn't it? It's like leaving a piece of yourself behind. Always that feeling of not being complete. :(

I'm sure he'll be fine though, probably easier for him than for you. :)

tatsxxx11
12-19-2003, 03:42 PM
It's the hardest thing to do, leaving your baby behind:( But, as long as he's in a kennel that you trust will care for him properly, well, that's the most important thing! As others have said, it's probably going to be a lot harder on you than Lefty;) Be brave mom! (Easy for me to say!;))

Smilla
12-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks so much, you all--I hadn't thought that it might be harder for me than it is for him. I can bear that burden! :)

Karen
12-19-2003, 05:17 PM
It sounds like a perfect solution if he can't be with you - what a nice idea to pair him with a buddy! :) Has he had all his shots and vaccinations? He'll be fine, momma Smilla!

clara4457
12-19-2003, 05:24 PM
You know my sister and BIL used to have to board their ShepX Caiphais when they traveled if I couldn't take care of him for them. He was very dog aggressive and people aggressive outside of family or people he knew. The one boarding kennel they had him at spent a great deal of time getting to know him before they boarded him.

When they would come home from a trip he would act all pouty and miserable. They always felt so guilty about having to leave him. One time after a trip they came to pick him up and peeked into the window and saw him having the time of his life with one of the care givers there. :eek: The minute they walked in the door - he acted all pouty and miserable again.

I know Lefty will be in the best of hands while you are gone. The fact that you did your homework and found a place recommended by friends assures that. Of course that doesn't help the fact that you are going to miss him like crazy. :D

dukedogsmom
12-19-2003, 06:29 PM
I know what you mean! I'm going to miss Duke so much when I'm gone in January. I almost don't even want to go on vacation because I'll miss him so much.

trayi52
12-19-2003, 06:42 PM
It is hard to leave them when you have to. Whenever I had to leave one behind, I always got my mother to take care of them for me. I always worried anyway, afraid they were lonesome or maybe got out of the house and try to go back home.

Sounds like all you have to worry about is missing them.:)

Logan
12-22-2003, 09:59 AM
Smilla, I don't know if you have left yet, but I wanted to say that I just know your Lefty will be just fine. I'm convinced that it is much harder on the humans than it is on the dogs!!!! :) I have a petsitter come to my house, and even knowing how wonderful she is and how much my pets love her (I have witnessed it), I still hate to leave them!!

I would suggest that you have them give Lefty a bath the day you plan to pick him up, if you can. Something about those kennels, no matter how nice they are, is that the dogs smell like dogs when you pick them up, if they don't get a good bath!!! :eek:

Have a wonderful Christmas trip.

Logan