PDA

View Full Version : PETA at it Again

aly
12-18-2003, 10:16 AM
PETA's new thing is they are going to hand out cards to little kids that say "Your mommy kills animals" (if the mother is wearing fur)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is the first time I've gotten this mad at PETA. I think they're fighting for a wonderful cause and all, but LEAVE THE CHILDREN ALONE! If someone gave me a card that said my mommy kills animals, that would've traumatized me when I was little. My mom doesn't wear fur anyway, but still, grrr.

primabella
12-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Oh gosh that's terrible! I feel exactly the same way. :( First of all, leave the kids alone. Next, if I would have gotten that card I would have been either terrified of my mother or just be tramatized all together.

I think my mother has a (fox) fur coat that her mother bought her. She doesn't wear it though and I refuse to look at it. :(

mugsy
12-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Nice. :mad:

PETA and Greenpeace both have good intentions, but carry it WAY too far out of hand. That's really over the top....all in the name of freedom of speech....nothing about good taste.

lizbud
12-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Puleeze...... Cite a credible reference link for this rumour.

moosmom
12-18-2003, 11:11 AM
If this IS in fact true (nothing would surprize me if it was) then like Lizbud said, please show us a credible link proving it.

Logan
12-18-2003, 11:18 AM
I have just done more searches than I wish to even admit under PETA. I don't find the specific thing that Aly is talking about, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. They even have a PETA Kids page. :(

lizbud
12-18-2003, 11:34 AM
I just found an article about this 1 page hand out Peta was
to pass out to fur wearing audience members of a stage show.
It's on PETA.org site. Pretty dumb idea I think, but not exactly
the "end of the world" in significance either.

I did like Gillian Anderson's (Scully of X-files) letter to the Lincoln
Park Zoo in Chicago asking for the release & retirement of three
aging elephants to a elephant rescue in Tennessee.
Now that was interesting & worth the time to read. I'd rather do
something proactive & positive than sit around & bitch anyway. :)

http://www.savewildelephants.com/gillian.html

http://www.peta.org/alert/automation/AlertItem.asp?id=914

mugsy
12-18-2003, 11:34 AM
I have spent the last 15 minutes looking on a bunch of urban legend sites and none of them have anything about it. Just letting you know.

I don't know if it's true or not,but wouldn't put it past them...

Maresche
12-18-2003, 11:45 AM
I believe this is the cite you are looking for.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/bostonherald/500400951.html?did=500400951&FMT=ABS&FMTS=FT&desc=FUR+FLIES+OVER+FLIER%3b+PETA+targets+%60Nutcr acker%27+kids

Unfortunately you have to pay for the full article.

aly
12-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Puleeze...... Cite a credible reference link for this rumour.

Its not a rumor. I try to make sure the story is true before I post it (although the last story wasn't and I apologize for that).

Anyway I heard it on the news and then I just did a search for 'PETA mommy' and several articles came up.

Thanks for posting that one Maresche :)

I'm not the type of person who gets kicks out of posting nasty rumors :(

trayi52
12-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Wow, I live close to Hohenwald, Tn, where this Elephant Sanctuary is. I have heard nothing but good things about this place.

But getting back to the subject, it is wrong to put children in the middle, what they should do is hand out the flyer to the mothers that are bringing their children in, children are just going to get defensive about this anyway. Working through children is not a good idea. These women that can afford fur, are going to keep wearing them anyway, no matter what. Funny, I have never in my life wanted a fur coat, and I'm old. I just couldn't stand of the thought of wearing a dead animal around my neck.

Logan
12-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Aly, I'm sure the others, and definitely, I, know that you aren't going to post something that yyou don't believe to be true. And in reality, PETA might not "advertise" that they are doing this.

It is wrong, in any sense, regardless.

Logan

2kitties
12-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by aly

I am:p lol

lizbud
12-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by aly
Its not a rumor. I try to make sure the story is true before I post it (although the last story wasn't and I apologize for that).

Anyway I heard it on the news and then I just did a search for 'PETA mommy' and several articles came up.

Thanks for posting that one Maresche :)

It's all hearsay & rumor unless people post a reference link
to a credible news organization. I don't expect anyone to believe
all that I say I heard without offering a reference to the orgin of
of the story.

lizbud
12-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Oh, btw, I always double check 2kitties's stuff.......:D :D

aly
12-18-2003, 02:19 PM
It's all hearsay & rumor unless people post a reference link
to a credible news organization. I don't expect anyone to believe
all that I say I heard without offering a reference to the orgin of
of the story.

I am sorry.

PJ's Mom
12-18-2003, 11:50 PM
I can't confirm this right now, but this is what the flyer is supposed to look like.

It's graphic, so download at your own risk.

aly
12-18-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
I can't confirm this right now, but this is what the flyer is supposed to look like.

Thanks for posting that. That is the one I saw on TV.

Twisterdog
12-18-2003, 11:58 PM
Of course PETA did that. That, and much more .. including passing out trading cards at elementary schools telling children they are evil and will become ill if they drink milk or eat chicken.

Here are some links:

http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20030929/007257.html

http://nydailynews.com/front/story/120893p-108825c.html

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/activistcash/org_detail.cfm?ORG_ID=21

http://www.gawker.com/archives/009046.html

http://www.umanitoba.ca/manitoban/20020109/features_index.shtml

http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20031027/008789.html

http://www.animalrights.net/articles/2001/000178.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1525042.stm

http://www.peta.org/cmp/veg-lit.html

GoldenRetrLuver
12-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom

Oh My Gosh. That's just horrible. I'm speechless.

I shouldn't have looked. :( :(

popcornbird
12-18-2003, 11:59 PM
OMG! That card would bring ME to tears.........let alone a small child! :eek:

I hate Peta more than anything, and would not be surprised *at all* if this turns out to be true. Gosh they make me mad! :mad::mad::mad:

CathyBogart
12-19-2003, 01:19 AM
Hmm...Sad. Peta is pathetic to have stooped so low. As if a small child has any say in their mother's wardrobe anyways. :rolleyes:

primabella
12-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Hmm...Sad. Peta is pathetic to have stooped so low. As if a small child has any say in their mother's wardrobe anyways. :rolleyes:

Exactly. :rolleyes:

That flyer is awful! :eek: :( :(

Logan
12-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Aly, you were right all along, as I figured you were. Anyone can click on www.peta.com and see this horrible thing.

(Adobe Acrobat Required)
PETA’s New Comic for Kids - a Real-Life Horror Story!

PETA activists - including cuddly, costumed raccoons and foxes - are making guest appearances outside performances of The Nutcracker across the country this holiday season with a cheeky message of compassion. As children arrive to see the "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy," some will be unaware that their mothers are already starring in a real-life horror story! PETA will be there to greet any fur-clad moms and their children with their newest anti-fur leaflet-PETA Comics presents..."Your Mommy Kills Animals!"

Kids will see the bloody truth behind their moms’ pretentious pelts. Accompanied by graphic photographs of skinned carcasses and animals languishing on fur farms, children will read: "Lots of wonderful foxes, raccoons, and other animals are kept by mean farmers who squish them into cages so small that they can hardly move. They never get to play or swim or have fun. All they can do is cry-just so your greedy mommy can have that fur coat to show off in when she walks the streets."

Click here to see a larger image of the leaflet.

Click here to go to the leaflet order form.

Logan
12-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Sorry that the links didn't copy, but if you go to www.peta.com, they are there. :(

Kfamr
12-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Not only does my mother NOT kill animals, there's no use for fur coats in Florida. I'd probably kick someone if they ever gave me something like that.

Like Wolfchan said, Like kids (or anyone) has a say in their mother's wardrobe?

ramanth
12-19-2003, 12:52 PM
Besides, I've seen many faux fur coats that look real, but are not.

Can PETA tell the difference?

2kitties
12-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Will they stop those with leather shoes/coats/purses? How about those people ordering meat in the restaurants?
Stupid Stupid Stupid.

aly
12-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Oh my gosh, they have a leaflet order form. WHO would order that ??????????????

popcornbird
12-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
Besides, I've seen many faux fur coats that look real, but are not.

Can PETA tell the difference?

I had a white fur coat when I was a little girl..........and I LOVED it. It was sooooo soft, and warm, he he. BUT, it was made 100% of man-made materials, and had *NO* animal fur in it. No one could tell though, and everyone would ask my mom if I was wearing a rabbit fur coat. :rolleyes: Um.......NO!

Could Peta tell? I doubt it.

2kitties
12-19-2003, 01:32 PM
I have a faux fur hat and a faux shearling coat on today. Also, I'm carrying a leather purse and wearing steakers with some leather on them.

They're coming to take me away Ha HA!

popcornbird
12-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Well..............we have 100% leather sofas downstairs in the living room..........and an SUV with 8 100% leather seats. :p Uh oh! Here comes Peta! :D :p

2kitties
12-19-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Well..............we have 100% leather sofas downstairs in the living room..........and an SUV with 8 100% leather seats. :p Uh oh! Here comes Peta! :D :p

Yikes, I have an SUV with leather seats too! And wood grained trim!
I think the environmentalists will get us for the SUV's and the tree killing, and PETA for the leather.

We're in so much trouble! hmm looks down at sweater How does PETA feel about wool?

trayi52
12-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Lol, 2kitties you are just too funny, Peta is coming for you! Poppy hide your couch, throw a sheet over it, hurry they be busting the door down at any minute now:eek: , they are getting closer. Be very careful!!!! Stay low, be ready to throw paint on them for a change. LOL. ;) :D

2kitties
12-19-2003, 02:28 PM
They've probably got a straight jacket and a 10x10 padded room with my name on it.

trayi52
12-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Oh by the way be prepared to run in a serpentine fashion, that way they can't get you with a paint gun.... LOL.

2kitties
12-19-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Oh by the way be prepared to run in a serpentine fashion, that way they can't get you with a paint gun.... LOL.

interested in how trayi knows the way to avoid capture when being hunted.

trayi52
12-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Nah, I just notice how my daughters boy friends run, when they are running from the house, and my hubby is after them, I watch and learn.

Sometimes it is good to know how to run when your being shot at!!!
Beside I am half Hatfield. LOL. Got to know how to run when your out stealing pigs. ;) :p

popcornbird
12-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
Yikes, I have an SUV with leather seats too! And wood grained trim!
I think the environmentalists will get us for the SUV's and the tree killing, and PETA for the leather.

We're in so much trouble! hmm looks down at sweater How does PETA feel about wool?

*gasp* I'm wearing a woolen sweater too.........and the rug beneath my feet is also 100% wool! Uh oh!

My oh my.........Peta, AND environmentalists? ;) Oh dear................oh my........*shakes head* LOL

lizbud
12-19-2003, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Logan
[B]Aly, you were right all along, as I figured you were. Anyone can click on www.peta.com and see this horrible thing.
[QUOTE]

Wow, Big news flash Logan. I said this yesterday. Guess you
didn't read it. Oh well, rant on if it makes you all happy.

" I just found an article about this 1 page hand out Peta was
to pass out to fur wearing audience members of a stage show.
It's on PETA.org site. Pretty dumb idea I think, but not exactly
the "end of the world" in significance either.

I did like Gillian Anderson's (Scully of X-files) letter to the Lincoln
Park Zoo in Chicago asking for the release & retirement of three
aging elephants to a elephant rescue in Tennessee.
Now that was interesting & worth the time to read. I'd rather do
something proactive & positive than sit around & bitch anyway."

http://www.savewildelephants.com/gillian.html

http://www.peta.org/alert/automatio...Item.asp?id=914

Fox-Gal
12-19-2003, 04:50 PM
I saw this on the View the other day and couldn't belive it.

I don't care how strong your views are on something, to tell a children that you parent is a killer is 100% wrong. That picture of the flyer, how sick to hand that to a child.

What are they thinking when they come up with these ideas? What about the image they are putting in a childs head of their mother stabbing a rabbit with a knife.....sleep on that image children! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What I could say/do to the idiot that came up with this great idea. :D :D :D :p

sorry, I get a little upset when it come to children, if you can't tell.

trayi52
12-19-2003, 05:00 PM
I agree with you 100% Fox-Gal, no doubt about it that is going to far, when they target the children, I don't care what anybody says about that either, somebody handed my child or grandchild something like that, I don't think I would be very calm either. What do they think? That it okay to "abuse children" with crap like this, why not hand it to the mothers when they walk in with the children, if they happen to be wearing fur? Target the right people, not children. That is sad when they stoop so low as to go after the children, they cannot help what their parents are doing.

Tray

mugsy
12-19-2003, 05:35 PM
I'm a pacifist, but, if someone shoved that in my face or hand, they would not be standing. I am an environmentalist to the end, but PETA's and Greenpeace's methods are just way over the top. I was talking to my friend in northern Indiana last night about this. She is a PETA member and I got a new perspective, although I do NOT agree with it. I think we need to do what we can to save our environment and the animals since they cannot speak for themselves. I do not, however, enjoy having people shove their agenda down my throat and tend to get rather vocal when they do. I do have a not very nice tendancy (yes, it's a downfall) of doing the exact opposite of what they are saying. I hope they are very satisfied that they will traumatize the children that receive these evil things.

RICHARD
12-19-2003, 05:35 PM
At the 2002 Olympic torch run there were PETA representatives handing out leaflets trying to inform the public about the attempt of getting some rodeo events into the '04 games.

I calmly asked the gal how many trees she killed to print the leaflets and told her that I did like to watch rodeo-My final question was, 'What do the WINTER olympics have to do with the SUMMER games???"

The flustered gal walked away a little confused
and later on when her male counterpart approached me with leaftlet in hand I told him that I already had talked to the gal he was with.....

I felt bad for beating the Peta-gal up- because of their guerilla postures they had long fallen out of favor with me.

Handing visually disturbing materials to kids isn't one of my most favorite things on the planet.

Makes me want to get a fur and a kid and go to NYC to punk some PETA people.

trayi52
12-19-2003, 05:56 PM
I'll let you borrow one of my grandkids, Kelby would be perfect, he is a little redhead with freckles, tell him what to do and say to them when they hand him the paper, and he will do it. He is only 9 years old, but he can take down a grown person, I know because I have been in wrestling matchs with him, he is like a little monkey, you would think he had a tail, when he latches on you cannot for the life of you, shake that little fellow off. Say something against him mother, double trouble. Just step back, because "oops, big no no with him".

2kitties
12-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Picturing Tray running in a serpentine fashion with red headed monkey-like child hanging from her legs in hot pursuit of young lusty teenage boys while her husband is stealing pigs. Meanwhile, in California, Richard is demoralizing young Jehovas witness outside the local Piggly Wiggly and Mugsy is boxing it out with loonies.

I'm dizzy.

trayi52
12-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Oh my god, I just got that picture, and guess what, thats that little guys nickname ' monkey boy' he got that name from the doctors after he was trying to torment Mario, and got bit.

ROFLMAO and I mean when I read that I was, I know my husband was looking at me kind of strange, me sitting over her just bent over laughing so hard, because YOU put that picture in my head too.

Here is a picture of Monkey boy:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p8d4a1ebfb694b10d8c5f4b1ecf7f641c/fac289a5.jpg

Logan
12-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Wow, Big news flash Logan. I said this yesterday. Guess you didn't read it. Oh well, rant on if it makes you all happy

Ouch!! :( Who is ranting? I was trying to make Aly feel better as the first day that I searched the Peta site (same day you did), what I saw about the flyers was not there, at least not the huge picture at the top of the page. The next day, when I was looking for something else for another group, it was. I saw your links and appreciated them. My comment to Aly was in no way directed towards you. Why would you even think that, Liz? That really makes me sad that you would react that way.

Fox-Gal
12-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Target the right people, not children. That is sad when they stoop so low as to go after the children, they cannot help what their parents are doing.

Tray

I agree. Pick on someone their own size, leave the children alone.

Twisterdog
12-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Nah, I just notice how my daughters boy friends run, when they are running from the house, and my hubby is after them, I watch and learn.

Sometimes it is good to know how to run when your being shot at!!!
Beside I am half Hatfield. LOL. Got to know how to run when your out stealing pigs. ;) :p

You crack me up, trayi52! :D

aly
12-20-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks Logan! It did make me feel MUCH better but I feel terrible for causing all this :( I'm really really SORRY!

Liz - I hope you are not mad at Logan because of this.

Nomilynn
12-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Aly I don't think you should feel bad. I looked at the flyer and it's disgusting. I am a firm believer that the message should NOT get lost in the delivery. That picture doens't even convey a message, other than "Hey kids, please be traumatized and have nightmares for the next three months." PETA is truly crossing the line with these flyers. Thanks for posting the story, Aly.

wolf_Q
12-20-2003, 12:12 AM
That pic was horrible...I can't imagine a little kid seeing that!

Are hurt feelings really necessary? I'll be sure that next time I create a post I include a Works Cited page for reference. :rolleyes:

trayi52
12-20-2003, 12:20 AM
Don't feel bad Aly, this was a good thread, and it helped us all see how PETA does cross the line, espeically when they use children to get their message across, thats wrong and I am glad you pointed this out to all of us.

Tray:)

smokey the elder
12-20-2003, 08:54 AM
PETA is just short of being terrorists, imho.

lizbud
12-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I have just done more searches than I wish to even admit under PETA. I don't find the specific thing that Aly is talking about, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. They even have a PETA Kids page. :(

Logan,

You posted this comment at 12:18 pm on 12/18/03 & I posted
right after at 12:34pm and gave peta.org as the source of the
picture/handout Aly was describing. I hardly think that peta has
one site for your city and another for Indy. The big ugly picture
was there for all to see if you had really checked it out when
you said you did. That's what puzzled me. I was beginning to
question your eyesight or your veracity. And no I'm not angry
with anyone, just puzzled. Liz.

Twisterdog
12-20-2003, 11:28 PM
PETA is just short of being terrorists, imho.

IMO, they are very firmly planted in the terrorist camp. By funding terrorists, and paying for the defense of terrorists, that makes them terrorists in my book, too.

Denyce
12-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Aly,

I was glad to be informed about another of PETAS's outrageous antics. Thank you very much for posting this information. Just remember you can't please everyone all the time so all you can do is what you feel is the right thing to do. Some are just a tad oversensitive about anything negative to do with PETA. That is their choice and it should never influence someone from posting what they feel to be pertinant information on this message board. Especially in the Dog House. I really dislike it when some use attacks and emotional blackmail to try and censor what is posted on message boards.

Denyce

Logan
12-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Logan,

You posted this comment at 12:18 pm on 12/18/03 & I posted
right after at 12:34pm and gave peta.org as the source of the
picture/handout Aly was describing. I hardly think that peta has
one site for your city and another for Indy. The big ugly picture
was there for all to see if you had really checked it out when
you said you did. That's what puzzled me. I was beginning to
question your eyesight or your veracity. And no I'm not angry
with anyone, just puzzled. Liz.

I simply did not see that "big, ugly" picture, Liz, until the next day. Perhaps it was right there all the time and I missed it.......just never saw it. That's all there was to it.

The message from this horrible cartoon stinks, doesn't it?? Aly, I know that was your point, from the beginning, and Ii totally agree! Looks like we all do!!

lizbud
12-22-2003, 01:36 PM
I simply did not see that "big, ugly" picture, Liz, until the next day. Perhaps it was right there all the time and I missed it.......just never saw it. That's all there was to it.

If you say you checked out this site http://www.peta.org/
and totally missed the huge full gruesome color picture displayed
here, then you need to have your eyes checked. :) I also said
in a previous post that I thought it was very dumb idea of peta
to hand out these flyers.

Oh btw, did you read the dog article "They called him Christmas"?

trayi52
12-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Whew! Is that not the grossest thing you ever saw? I read an article about that. But the one I read did not have pictures on it. This one really shows the gruesome side to that article, the one I read was bad enough, but if some butthead handed this to my child or grandchild, I would be very, very upset. Why, that would give a child nightmares. The child would be very hurt about it themselves.

To tell the truth I would be more that upset, well I won't say what I would do, just leave it to your own imagination.

Tray

Logan
12-22-2003, 03:45 PM
I give up, Liz. I am blind, obviously. I have tried with you. I don't know why you continue on, but if I had seen the picture the first day, I would have acknowledged it. I didn't. I don't know what else to say other than to wonder why you continue after me this way??

I did not see the story you mentioned either, but then again, I spent only a minimal amount of time on the site, specifically looking for Aly's topic and didn't read the other articles at all. I do not support PETA and was not interested in reading much of their info after the first few things I read. These visits, over two days, were my first and last two visits if I can help it.

Dogz
12-22-2003, 03:52 PM
That is HORRIBLE. Why would they do something like that?:mad: Like Tray said, it would give children nightmares. What a disgusting picture. I am not blaming Logan for it either. It just disgusts me though.

mugsy
12-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Because that's how PETA works. :mad: :(

I agree with whomever said it earlier....they are nothing short of a terrorist organization. They make animal advocates worldwide look bad.

lizbud
12-22-2003, 05:17 PM
I give up, Liz. I am blind, obviously. I have tried with you. I don't know why you continue on, but if I had seen the picture the first day, I would have acknowledged it. I didn't. I don't know what else to say other than to wonder why you continue after me this way??

O.K. Logan. :) But you must at least admit the picture of the
handout discussed is pretty darn hard to miss. My mouth dropped
open when I read that you had checked the site, but did not see
the largest color picture in the center of the page.:p

I'm not angry or anything honestly. I just found this extremely hard to believe. I'm done.:)

popcornbird
12-22-2003, 05:21 PM
I don't think Logan needs to have her eyes checked just because she did not see the pic. We all miss things sometimes. :(:( Maybe she just didn't notice it. :confused: So what?

**hugs Logan**

:(

tikeyas_mom
12-22-2003, 08:44 PM
o wow, thats harsh. I got a thingy in the mail abotu PETA, it seemed like a good orginization. I guess not :eek:

mugsy
12-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
o wow, thats harsh. I got a thingy in the mail abotu PETA, it seemed like a good orginization. I guess not :eek:

They haven't been for years. They are WAY too militant for me.

jackiesdaisy1935
12-24-2003, 09:57 AM
I don't know much about Peta, but what I have read they are a little over the top on everything they do. I didn't see their picture and I don't want to, what good will it do?
I prefer people like Aly and Logan who work their butt off saving one dog at a time, they rescue, they foster and they transport.
And I'm sure there are many more on here who do too, can the people who criticize them say the same? I doubt it. Let's give credit to the people who are trying to save as many dogs as they can, even if it's one at a time. Instead of sitting and bitching (someone else's words) they are out there working and saving as many dogs as possible. There is nothing wrong with Logan's eyesight, she can spot a dog in need in a heartbeat.
Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

Cheshirekatt
12-24-2003, 10:00 AM
I think PETA is terrible.

IMHO they've set animal rights back years with the insane things they due. And Ingrid Newkirk obviously needs psychiatric help.

DJFyrewolf36
12-24-2003, 03:53 PM
I just saw this today...so Im outdated oops!

Ok, for one thing, PETAs argument is logically flawed for several reasons. The biggest one being is that the childs mom ISNT a killer just for buying fur. Did she go out and slaughter the animals herself? No...do people go out and slaughter the cattle for hamburger themselves? No...saying a fur coat wearer is a killer is like saying I'm a killer for eating red meat. Newsflash, we ARE preditory animals *emphasis on animal for most people* Its been scientifically proven that a no protien diet will KILL you. I don't agree that killing animals for style is a good thing, however, due to government regulations it is illigal to harvest animals from the wild (althoug morons still do it and I agree that that practice should be eliminated). The animals used in fur coat production are bread to die in this way, human bread animals fated to die for a human purpose...just like cattle in a cattle farm. The condtions arent super great for the animal, in fact they suffer greatly. However, if we released/protected EVERY farm bread animal, we would be overrun with animals that realistically have NO place in nature due to the fact that they were bread and rased captively. Who pays for the care of these "saved" animals? Are you really saving them? Ok, so they go to a preserve or a zoo or something after they are rescued...they are still not in their "natural" environment as PETA wants people to beleive. :confused: :confused: :confused: I don't get PETA. To save animals they will burn bulidings, harrass people and even attempt to KILL people. Maybe Im wrong in thinking that orgs like PETA should stop treating symptoms (women in fur coats and their children) and start getting to the root of the problem. They should be helping protect endagered species and stop cruelty in farming, not farming alltogether. And while theyre at it, why don't they look at stoping cruelty to humans too...instead of using cruelty to end cruelty. Its a self defeating program.
I think PETA should use a crowbar to perform a cranial removal from their collective rectums (I apologise for the strong language).
THIS IS MY OPINION. Blast me, refute me...I don't care. I'm just saying how I feel.
Peace to everyone, even PETA because it is written "Love thy neighbor"

Twisterdog
12-24-2003, 09:52 PM
I think PETA should use a crowbar to perform a cranial removal from their collective rectums

*snort*

That is a good one, I'll have to remember that! And, I agree, it is definately something PETA should do.

Be careful, though ... don't think you can say "rectum" on here. :rolleyes:

oodlesofpoodles
12-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Peta is under investigation by the FBI, as they are linked to several terrorist groups like A.L.P AND E.L.F the peta spokesperson was on cable tv the channel that Bill O'reily is on and he was talking about the comic book Your Mommy kills animals they even have a bill board in a town near the school with the cover of the comic book on it. Peta is not an organization that I would want to be linked with. I know first hand on some of the things that Peta does. They will go to dog shows and turn the dogs loose and leave a note "better dead than bred" I know this to be true because I caught them trying to let my Riley out. Twice. Riley is a intact male dog. only because I was showing him. I do not intend to breed him and if I do he has already been tested for everything that runs in the poodle lines. But to show a dog in conformation they have to be in tact. Not everyone who shows breeds. I am going to try to post a link to show that Peta is involved with terrorist groups. bear with me http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?rvkptaex&1 Go to this website and you shall see.

mugsy
12-26-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by oodlesofpoodles
the peta spokesperson was on cable tv the channel that Bill O'reily is on .

Better be careful. We have some Bill O'Reilly haters on here! lol ;) Or should I say Fox News Channel;) ;)

It's unfortunate that a group that, in theory, is a good idea, be so militant that they break the law and good taste and give the rest of us animal advocates a bad name.

DJFyrewolf36
12-28-2003, 03:20 AM
Ok....I used the R word...OOOOooooOOOO
Anyhow,
The US government is so big on anti-terror for forigners, why do they ignore the ones here?!?

Homeland security should protect us from domestic terrorists too...
Oh and I signed the petition...I don't want to fund an organization that supports scaring kids for life

smokey the elder
12-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Ok....I used the R word...OOOOooooOOOO
Anyhow,
The US government is so big on anti-terror for forigners, why do they ignore the ones here?!?

Homeland security should protect us from domestic terrorists too...
Oh and I signed the petition...I don't want to fund an organization that supports scaring kids for life

Here, here. Timothy McVeigh and Eric Robert Rudolf are home-grown. I forgot that PETA had links to ELF; those guys ARE terrorists.

Rowan815
12-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Honestly- if any member of PETA passed that flyer to one of my kids, their face would have a quick meeting with my fist. :mad:

K9soul
12-28-2003, 02:03 PM
I didn't look at it, cause everyone's shock reaction was enough to scare me off from looking. I'm so affected by graphic things as described. I remember when I was sending money donations to the ASPCA and Humane Society of the United States, I started also getting flyers from Peta and they came across then as sort of fanatic zealots or something. They push their ideas way way too far.

DJFyrewolf36
12-31-2003, 03:57 AM
they came across then as sort of fanatic zealots or something

Fanatic Zelots...I concur!

Sevens
12-31-2003, 07:42 AM
I agree with DJ Fyrewolf and smokey the elder.

After I saw the petition and read the links that Twisterdog included for the Consumer Freedom website, I had a discussion with my husband.

My question is this, why doesn't the Federal Government arrest PETA? After 9/11, they arrested people in the US who were funding terrorist groups in the Middle East. So if funding these groups is enough to get you arrested, why let PETA alone? If they are funding the ALF and ELF and they are considered terrorists?

There is a difference between property damage and loss of human life. But isn't it all still just breaking the law? Isn't it all just used to scare/hurt people?

I think that taking away their tax status is the very least the Government can do. I wish they would just arrest them and get them the heck out of their headquarters in my hometown, Norfolk, VA.

mugsy
12-31-2003, 07:57 AM
They hide under the blanket of Freedom of Speech. I guess the war on terror doesn't extend to those formed on their own soil.

DJFyrewolf36
01-02-2004, 11:31 AM
I agree with you mugsy...homegrown terrorists seem to be ignored...just because they don't blow up big buildings doesn't mean they arent destructive
With all this yapping about animal rights...why not look at human rights too?

lovemyshiba
03-25-2004, 08:42 AM
They've got a new one:

http://www.kfccruelty.com/

mugsy
03-25-2004, 08:52 AM
There is an elementary school across the street from where I teach and PETA came out with a guy dressed as a big chicken passing out flyers to the ELEMENTARY kids about cruelty to chickens. I was LIVID and the teachers here that have kids there rushed across the street (as well as most of the parents) to pick up their kids before they could be accosted by the dreaded chicken. There were 4 police officers out there and 5 crossing guards....it was insanity. I was going to stop and ask the guy if he wanted anything from Popeye's, but, I thought I'd better not...not very professional.

Cheshirekatt
03-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Pretty low when they're targeting children. :mad:

mugsy
03-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
Pretty low when they're targeting children. :mad:

My thoughts exactly.

My card carrying PETA friends say that it was a good idea because you want to get them young.:rolleyes:

lizbud
03-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Oh, those nasty, evil Peta folks.:rolleyes: Look what they've
been doing all these years. Well, since 1981 anyway.:(

http://www.peta.org/feat/PETAMilestones/main.html

mugsy
03-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Liz,

Honestly, the idea behind PETA is an honorable one, however, I disagree strongly with the tactics they use to get their point across and feel that had they used different means to accomplish their goals, they probably would accomplish a lot more and wouldn't have the average American thinking that they are wacko and blow them off. I draw the line when they accost children to hand them flyers that will give them nightmares and will not do any good since the children aren't the ones that are buying groceries or furs or whatever else they are protesting. The children are under their parents' control and must eat or wear whatever they are instructed. I truly do wish they would tone down their tactics so they fit more into the mainstream and would then get more people willing to help and get more done to help the animals.

Molly

green_chameleon_girl
03-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Peta makes me so sick!!:mad: :( Its so sad they would be targeted at little children! What if they become afraid of the mothers!? Peta is so stupid! :( :( :mad: :mad: Looking at pictures on that site brought tears to my eyes!

DJFyrewolf36
03-26-2004, 12:10 PM
I find myself agreeing with you again Mugsy...

I know PETA has a noble purpose, one I strongly support. But...that noble purpose is no excuse to become terrorist lite...ever. Lets try not to scar kids for life, shall we?

mugsy
03-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
I find myself agreeing with you again Mugsy...

scary isn't it? lol;) :D :p

People, by nature, tend to shy away from the extreme. I think that if they try to get it done politically it will happen...albeit it would move like pond water, but, eventually it would be done and it would stick and there would be more backing by mainstream America (which is where the numbers are).

IttyBittyKitty
03-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
Liz,

Honestly, the idea behind PETA is an honorable one, however, I disagree strongly with the tactics they use to get their point across and feel that had they used different means to accomplish their goals, they probably would accomplish a lot more and wouldn't have the average American thinking that they are wacko and blow them off. I draw the line when they accost children to hand them flyers that will give them nightmares and will not do any good since the children aren't the ones that are buying groceries or furs or whatever else they are protesting. The children are under their parents' control and must eat or wear whatever they are instructed. I truly do wish they would tone down their tactics so they fit more into the mainstream and would then get more people willing to help and get more done to help the animals.

Molly

I agree too, very well said!

iceyshiver21
03-30-2004, 09:19 PM
ok, I know I shouldn't post beings I have not read the full thread...but I'm in a hurry.. So if i make and wrong accuasations shoot me down, please.

So far from what I have seen..it just doesn't bother me. I guess I wish someone would have told me as a kid that fur was once animals, that meat once had a face and breathed. My brother came up to me and asked me to see the "Chew on this" video...and he is 8. He watched it without turning away. After it he looked at me and said he wanted to help. I realize not all children are like this.

I guess it depends. Then again I am most likley baised because I am on the PETA Street Team and do hand out flyers. Not these ones in question. But I have seen them before.

shaybabixo
10-02-2004, 10:27 AM
i think that its wrong to give them out to little kids, people should be aware that wearing fur is wrong

shaybabixo
10-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by shaybabixo
i think that its wrong to give them out to little kids, people should be aware that wearing fur is wrong

oops...mistake......i think that handing its wrong to give them out to little kids,although people should be aware that wearing fur is wrong

mugsy
10-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by shaybabixo
oops...mistake......i think that handing its wrong to give them out to little kids,although people should be aware that wearing fur is wrong

I don't have an issue with that at all. I think wearing fur is disgusting, BUT, that's me. I would NOT go up to someone wearing a fur and throw paint on it. It serves no purpose--those animals are already dead and they'll just go out and buy yet another fur, thus prepetuating the cycle. What needs to be done is EDUCATE people about why wearing fur is wrong...and NOT by giving kids pamphlets with pictures of skinned animals and telling them that their mother is a murderer. Educate them properly without using terrorist methods.....it sticks a lot better. Repetition is the key and from many different sources. Slow and steady wins the race....(sorry that's the best cliche I can come up with :) )

animal_rescue
10-03-2004, 09:05 AM
I just realized something!
I was looking at the PETA site and saw that
Arnold Schwarzenegger is with PETA!:eek:
reason I'm shocked is because when he first
became governer didn't he want to subtract a
day that a dog lives in a shelter or something like that?
That just realy surprises me!

Oh and I'm looking at the site right now but I don't see anything
about the "your mommy is a killer"! I think it's wrong to wear fur but don't tramatize kids because of it! It's horrible to think that someone could actually stoop so low and to kill the spirits in kids!:(

moosmom
10-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I agree with Molly. I used to respect PETA at one time for their efforts. But now I believe they've gone WAAAAAY to far. I think wearing fur is wrong. PETA has their opinions, but their way of going about voicing it is disgusting. I hope one of those parents starts a class action suit against PETA for handing out pamphlets to children. It would serve them right.

chrissycat21
10-03-2004, 03:55 PM
I don't beleive how low PETA has stooped this time...

I do agree on them on a lot of things, like the anti animal cruelty and such. Also, how they educate the public on anti animal cruelty. I've been a vegetarian for going on nine years now and I do have to say the PETA has done some good things. But it is very low to start handing those fliers out to children. I would have been scared of my mom if I had gotten one of those when I was little!

leslie
10-03-2004, 10:53 PM
I listened to an hour long report on NPR re: McDonalds and other fast food restaurants and their contracts with farmers about one year ago. McDonald's was the only fast food (and they credit peta) who has stopped using chicken farmers that are cruel to chickens. Now, they are working on the cows who are unnecisarily touched by electric prods daily just to make them move. Electric prods are used on cows regularly. I applaud Peta for addressing this and the abuse of chickens (jan and other friends of mine stopped eating chicken 20 years ago because of this abuse). I know you all will be mad at me. I don't agree with everything peta does. It's just that no one else does anything and they have helped pave the way for us (I think).

leslie
10-03-2004, 11:01 PM
SentientBeings.org - Statement of Mary Tyler Moore
a Farm Sanctuary Campaign. Statement of Mary Tyler Moore. Farm animals, like all
animals, have feelings, and should be protected from cruelty. ...
www.sentientbeings.org/mtmstatement.htm - 16k - Cached - SimilarÂ_pages

sirrahved
10-04-2004, 12:13 PM
*barf*

It makes me want to guy buy a nice fur coat instead of waiting to inherit the one my mom has from her grandmother.

aly
10-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by leslie
I applaud Peta for addressing this and the abuse of chickens (jan and other friends of mine stopped eating chicken 20 years ago because of this abuse). I know you all will be mad at me. I don't agree with everything peta does. It's just that no one else does anything and they have helped pave the way for us (I think).

I applaud them too for all the good they do. I just don't like it when they do really extreme things targeting children. I do understand how it is to stand up for the voiceless and feel like you have to scream in people's faces to get them to hear you though.

I'd rather go naked than wear fur and I'd rather starve than eat tortured farm animals :( :( :(

RICHARD
10-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by aly

I'd rather go naked than wear fur and I'd rather starve than eat tortured farm animals :( :( :(

Chicken Fight Escalates To Gunfire

BLUEWELL, W.Va. -- Cooking chicken turned into a West Virginia family feud.

Police in Bluewell report a gun battle broke out after a father and a son argued over how to best cook skinless chicken. Jackie Lee Shrader, 49, and his 24-year-old son, Harley Lee Shrader, both face charges.

Detective Sgt. A.D. Beasley of the Mercer County Sheriff's Department says what started as a physical confrontation escalated into a gunfight. He says each man fired a .22-caliber handgun at the other.

The younger man was struck in the head by a bullet, but was treated and released from a local hospital. The father in the chicken fight wasn't hurt.

------------------------------------------------------

I'd rather wear fur than to go to this family's house for dinner.:eek:

K9soul
10-04-2004, 04:18 PM
I don't agree with animals being raised just for their fur to be used in clothing, I don't agree with killing an animal only for its fur, but if someone hunts for food I don't have a problem with them using the pelt as well for whatever reason. In fact I really agree with using every part of an animal hunted just like the Native Americans used to do with buffalo on the plains and eskimos with caribou in the Arctic.

As for Peta I have expressed how I feel about them before. They are extremist and some of the groups they fund use terrorist tactics. Education is good but it should not be done in a forceful and shocking way, especially with little children who will get traumatized more than any real learning from it. Those are my opinions and I realize they may differ from others'.