PDA

View Full Version : growing drug?

G.P.girl
12-18-2003, 09:02 AM
have you guys heard of a drug that is now availible to people who are unusaually short?it has growing hormones in it and it makes them grow atleast 3 in higher than what they would have been if they hadnt taken the drug. have you heard of it? what do you think abou tit?

Pam
12-18-2003, 09:14 AM
No I haven't, but I have to admit that I thought this thread was going to probably be about marijuana! :o :p

emily_the_spoiled
12-18-2003, 09:19 AM
The growth hormone drug you are talking about has actually been available for a number of years. Unfortunately it is very expensive, so only people with alot of money or very good insurance coverage can actually afford it.

primabella
12-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Pam
No I haven't, but I have to admit that I thought this thread was going to probably be about marijuana! :o :p

Me too :o

G.P.girl
12-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
The growth hormone drug you are talking about has actually been available for a number of years. Unfortunately it is very expensive, so only people with alot of money or very good insurance coverage can actually afford it.
it's been avialable to people who have a serious problem or are extremly short for a medical reason, but it is just now being released to the public. but yeah it is expensive, about 20000 for a years worth and you have to take it for about three or four years

Amber
12-18-2003, 07:07 PM
I have. In school we watch "Channel 1 news" and that was one of the topics. I didnt like it. Just the way they were talking about it.. I got squeamish(sp?). They even showed a kid giving himself the shot.. YUCK. anyways, yep I heard about it. Im just glad I was born tall!

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 07:57 PM
I've never heard of it, but from what you describe, it sounds a little dumb to me. Unless for medical reasons, Why can't people just be happy with how they are? :(

Corinna
12-18-2003, 08:17 PM
I had a boy in my class in high school who took it . He was only 4' tall. for a boy it is very horriable to be that short. He got 21/2 inches talller After high school he made us all look stupid we always told him to become a jocky he did and is one of the highest paid guys around now. Being only 5'2" tall I understand wanting to be taller.

2kitties
12-18-2003, 08:56 PM
I'm a girl, so I'm sure it is different than for boys, but I'm 5'1" and wouldnt' change it for the world. I enjoy being small. My bf is 6'5" though. I figured I'd better choose someone tall for my gene pool.;) But interestingly, he prefers small women and says most tall men do as well.

CathyBogart
12-18-2003, 09:08 PM
I do think that unless its for medical reasons the growth hormone should be avoided. I've heard about it, watched a short blurb about it in Bio, and I feel very neutral towards it.

zippy-kat
12-18-2003, 11:34 PM
My cousin was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 2-3. His growth was stunted by all the chemo/radiation and he is (was?) on the growth drug.

primabella
12-19-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I've never heard of it, but from what you describe, it sounds a little dumb to me. Unless for medical reasons, Why can't people just be happy with how they are? :(

I agree. I'm short but I am happy with myself. Zippy, I'm sorry about your cousin but I do believe this is a valid reason to take the drug. Really has nothing to do with cosmetic reasons,

G.P.girl
12-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Amber
I have. In school we watch "Channel 1 news" and that was one of the topics. I didnt like it. Just the way they were talking about it.. I got squeamish(sp?). They even showed a kid giving himself the shot.. YUCK. anyways, yep I heard about it. Im just glad I was born tall!
yep we watch it too. thats were i heard about it. i'm pretty tall an i love it. people generally don't like thier height, tall people want to to shorter and short people want to be tall :rolleyes: IMO anyways

Twisterdog
12-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Pam

*snort*

Me, too! :p

G.P.girl
12-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Pam
sorry i meant to name the thread growth drug, i somehow put growing drug.:o

Corinna
12-20-2003, 05:15 PM
2kitties I know all about that average kid line. I'm 5'2' hubby is 6'5" Our grown children prove it. 22yr old daughter 5'6", 20yr old son 5'11" and still growing as his dad did till about age 25. My mom is 5'3" and dad is 5'5"

Amber
12-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
yep we watch it too. thats were i heard about it. i'm pretty tall an i love it. people generally don't like thier height, tall people want to to shorter and short people want to be tall :rolleyes: IMO anyways

You watch it too? Cool! I agree, I think it's dumb..some people cant be happy about them selves. I am, im 5'6

G.P.girl
12-21-2003, 01:12 PM
yeah we watch it every morning. you know that guy with the blonde hair in a wierd bowl cut? everybody at my school hates his hair...

Amber
12-21-2003, 01:15 PM
lol Yup!:p

G.P.girl
12-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Does anybody else watch Channel 1?

Uabassoon
12-21-2003, 02:15 PM
I used to watch Channel 1 when I was in high school. I'm not too sure how I feel about the growth drug, I really hate being short. I have having to use a stool to get to the cabinets in my kitchen.

Cataholic
12-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

As someone that personally knows two young males afflicted with the condition, and their use of the drug, I can only tell you that it is not 'dumb', and it isn't a matter of one being unhappy with themselves. There is a whole psychology that is involved here. It isn't a matter of one person being shorter than the other.With the use of this drug, both boys were able to add inches to their heights. Neither will ever be considered 'normal' or 'average', but, at least now able to actively participate in life and the many opportunities it offers. Absent this drug, ordinary things like driving, sitting at a desk/chair/restaurant, finding clothes that aren't tailored, etc., will now be a possibility.

Some times, things just really aren't quite as 'easy' as people make them out to be.

popcornbird
12-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
As someone that personally knows two young males afflicted with the condition, and their use of the drug, I can only tell you that it is not 'dumb', and it isn't a matter of one being unhappy with themselves. There is a whole psychology that is involved here. It isn't a matter of one person being shorter than the other.With the use of this drug, both boys were able to add inches to their heights. Neither will ever be considered 'normal' or 'average', but, at least now able to actively participate in life and the many opportunities it offers. Absent this drug, ordinary things like driving, sitting at a desk/chair/restaurant, finding clothes that aren't tailored, etc., will now be a possibility.

Some times, things just really aren't quite as 'easy' as people make them out to be.

That's very true. I know a boy who used to be in my brother's class throughout elementry school. He wasn't just short.............he was TINY, so short, that it was abnormal. I don't know if it was this drug or some other, that the doctors gave him, but it helped him grow a considerable amount. Without it, he would have stayed so small that it would have made life difficult.

wolfsoul
12-25-2003, 08:13 PM
My cousin's friend is on growing drugs. He's 13 and 4'5. The doctors said that he was too short for his age so they put him on them.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-26-2003, 09:43 PM
I'm 15, and I am currently 5'9" and probably still growing. I've always been one of the tallest in class throughout elementry and some of junior high.