PDA

View Full Version : Are (or were) your parents strict on your grades?

GoldenRetrLuver
12-17-2003, 09:07 PM
My parents and I were discussing this the other day, and I thought it would be an interesting topic.

My grandpa was VERY strict on my mom's grades. He wanted her to be the "4.0 GPA, straight A student". So, she had excellent grades throught out high school, and ended up graduating #7 in her high school class. (I guess it payed off! :p)

Thankfully, my mom isn't as strict on my grades as her father was. But, she's not one of those parents that "doesn't care" either. She expects me to have quality, decent grades.

If this is a dumb topic, please let me know. :o

Uabassoon
12-17-2003, 09:10 PM
I didn't have to have all A's but my parents made sure I did the best that I could. If I made a B in the class and my parents knew that I studied hard for it then they were happy for me. But if I made a B and my parents knew that I slacked off then they would be upset with me.

Karen
12-17-2003, 09:11 PM
My parents were very strict about grades. Anything less than a B would get you grounded for a week - the theory was the lower the grade the longer you'd be grounded - not that I ever tested that theory! Thankfully, I liked school (when I wasn't bored).

Logan
12-17-2003, 09:16 PM
I was "plagued" (saying that tongue in cheek) with parents who never made a B in their life, therefore, they didn't expect us to either!!! Of course, that didn't necessarily work for me, but I made it through high school just fine, was accepted to the college of my choice, and graduated in 4 years, just as they expected me to. So I guess their sort of pressure was exactly what I needed!

I find myself to be a tough mom too, and my daughter knows I expect good grades because I know she is capable. I've told her that I don't get angry with B's, but since I know she has plenty of time to work hard and keep those A's, that's what I expect!! :o So far, she hasn't let me down! She's in the 7th grade now.

2kitties
12-17-2003, 09:36 PM
It was A's or nothing in my house. No exceptions.
My parents based our freedoms on grades mostly. So we had good reason to excel. They picked their battles pretty well. If we managed all a's and beta club, etc, then we were allowed dates, parties, etc.

Cincy'sMom
12-17-2003, 09:54 PM
My parents were never strict about grades, but HS came very easy for me andI graduated with a 3.98/4.0 (we didn't have any extra points honors classes likea lot of school do now).

College didn't go nearly as well, (not thatis was horrible), but my parents were always supportive and didn't expect a certain GPA

wolfsoul
12-17-2003, 09:58 PM
As long as I'm not failing, I'm good. :D I'm a big slacker and I'm failing two things right now, so my mom isn't very happy lol. Meh. My motto is, as long as I pass, I'm fine. I'm not going to college anyways.

babolaypo65
12-17-2003, 10:28 PM
My parents were really stict about my grades. More strict than they were with my sisters. they said it was because I had more potential. :o . If i didn't make the honor roll I didn't get my allowance for that quarter. I got one C in high school. My parents were VERY upset. (It was math).:D

GoldenRetrLuver
12-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Right now, I have a C in math. :o My parents know it's my worst subjet, so as long as I pass, they're fine with it. :)

Twisterdog
12-17-2003, 11:00 PM
My parents never said anything about any of my grades, ever. But, I got mostly A's with a few B's, so I suppose they didn't have to say anything.

My son is getting horrible, horrible grades right now. He is in the seventh grade this year, and the change from grade school to junior high has been tough for him. He always got good grades before. I'm not sure whether to punish him or just wait and see if he gets his ducks in a row on his own. Hmmmmm.....

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 12:43 AM
Nope. But, if I want something big, I have to have good grades.

primabella
12-18-2003, 08:06 AM
It sort of depends on the subject. My parents know I do well in Engliush and Bio so they expect good grades of me. But they also know that French and Math are my weak subjects and are more understanding with them. But as they always say, they just want me to do my best.

My sister was valedictorian of her high school 2 years ago and my parents were so proud. I just told them not to expect anything like that of me...and they don't. ;) (My sister is a study-freak and all...:p)

mugsy
12-18-2003, 10:47 AM
My parents expected all 3 of us to do the best we could. For me, anything less than a "B" was not acceptable. I did get 2 "Cs" in high school, but didn't get in trouble because one was in PE (I refused to do gymnastics and the teacher was the gymnastics coach) and in typing....I sucked!! lol I'm better now with computers, but still not great. I graduated with a 93% average which when I was in school was a B+.

My parents also refused to bribe us for grades....no amount of money for an A or B...it was just expected. They were adamant about that.

Edwina's Secretary
12-18-2003, 12:39 PM
My parents were very strict about grades and, like Mugsy's, refused to bribe. However, fortunately or unfortunately, I was the youngest and they had run out of steam for the fight. I got away with much more than my older siblings....

zippy-kat
12-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Mom and Pop were never terribly harsh when it came to grades -- they didn't have to be as I was harsh on myself. I made my first B in 8th grade (in math) and my first C in 11th (math yet again). But I had an excuse for the C, I was out half the year with mono. (My boyfriend at the time thought I contracted it from a water-fountain ... I never told him differently, and didn't dare tell him the "water fountain" had a name. ;) )

Mom/Dad did reward me with $100 per 100, $50 for 99-90, and $25 per 89-80; 90% of the money had to go into my college fund.

At any rate, (in High School) I graduated number 17 out of 464, missing honor grad. by 1 person.

I finished my BA degree with a GPA of 3.8 (I think).

Currently, I'm working on my MA and have a 4.0. :)

2kitties
12-18-2003, 01:27 PM
I will no doubt be the world's meanest mom. Grades will be a big priority with my kids because I see them as the key to a secure future. A good education is your best offense and defense.

Prairie Purrs
12-18-2003, 02:43 PM
My parents always told me that they didn't believe in paying for grades. I was a straight-A student anyway.

Then my younger sister came along, and darned if they didn't bribe her to get "A"s! :eek: Maybe that's why I ended up going to law school--early experience with injustice. :D

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 03:51 PM
umm.. since me and my brothers have dyslexia my mom is just happy if we get a good effort mark from our teachers. she gets very hyped up when any of us gets on honor roll or work ethic for school. if one of us gets a c+ she freaks , she gets so happy :) lol.

As long as me and my lil brothers try our best she is happy for us :D

Tonya
12-18-2003, 10:08 PM
I always got good grades, so my parents ignored me. My brother on the other hand got straight F's and never went to school. My mother rewarded his bad behavior by buying him a guitar and amp if he promised to finish school. :rolleyes:

popcornbird
12-18-2003, 10:19 PM
My parents have always been strict about our grades, but have never really had to worry about it, because I almost always get good grades. They do care about my grades very much........but its not their *top* priority. Partially because they have never had to worry too much about it, and partially because they expect us to do the best we can.....not pressure us into doing something we can't do.

IttyBittyKitty
12-20-2003, 10:07 AM
My Mum was strict with me when I was younger because she knew I wasn't reaching my potential. But, when I started getting top A's and graduated from highschool in the top 2 percent of the state she was very proud and I was glad that she hassled me.

Meanwhile, when I started getting good grades, I got ten bucks an A. This got quite expensive so Mum stopped. My brother, on the other hand, was promised a CAR if he passed year twelve (without even getting a score, which you can do by doing all the babyish easy subjects).

Boy was I PEEVED about that one, fortunately, she made him pay for his car!

Toby's Mommy
12-20-2003, 10:59 AM
My parents aren't strict. If i like get a C on a paper they freak out though!
My grandpa gives me $10 for every A I get so I get lots of money quickly!:)

G.P.girl
12-20-2003, 02:01 PM
my parents want me to get good grades and to go to college and to graduate. but mostly they want me to try my hardest. but i am not satisfied with myself if i don't have a 4.0 GPA. last trimester i had 3.9 because i had 1 A- in PE, but since they won't give a+'s i had 3.9(i had over 100% in two subjects) i get alot more freedom if i have good grades. even though my parents don't actually say i can't do stuff if i have lower grades they just suggest i should use my time to study more instead of hang out with my friends.

binka_nugget
12-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
As long as I'm not failing, I'm good. :D I'm a big slacker and I'm failing two things right now, so my mom isn't very happy lol. Meh. My motto is, as long as I pass, I'm fine. I'm not going to college anyways.

Same. Before, I aimed for A's then I quickly lowered my standards to B's..and then C's and now it's just as long as I pass. My mom doesn't really care (or at least, she doesn't show that she cares). Right now, I'm just aiming for a passing mark. If I start passing, I'll aim for something higher. Currently, I'm failing math 10 (I'm in grade 11), english and socials. Eh, they're all borderline marks.

Amber
12-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Same. Before, I aimed for A's then I quickly lowered my standards to B's..and then C's and now it's just as long as I pass. My mom doesn't really care (or at least, she doesn't show that she cares). Right now, I'm just aiming for a passing mark. If I start passing, I'll aim for something higher. Currently, I'm failing math 10 (I'm in grade 11), english and socials. Eh, they're all borderline marks.

ehh..same here:p

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I'm failing math and socials lol. :o I'll be getting great in both soon though, because they are changing the teachers to the teachers that I like. I do surprisingly well when I'm taught by someone that I like. I've always struggled with math because I never like the teacher who teaches it, but in grade 9 I had a wonderful teacher and got 92% as a final grade. But then the teachers I don't like come back in February. :(

GoldenRetrLuver
12-28-2003, 01:48 AM
Well, I got my report card today. I'm passing Algebra with a C. (YES!) Math is my worst subject, always has been. I wasn't thrilled overall, but at least I'm passing everything.

Kfamr
12-28-2003, 03:06 AM
Do we get graded on the effort we put into sleeping?:o

apcrs5122
12-28-2003, 12:58 PM
My mom is really strict on my grades. I have allways had straight A's and this quarter the technology teacher does grades in a weird way, and I showed her a B (not as my final grade, the grade for the module I was in at that time) and she threatned to ground me for a whole quarter (9 weeks :eek: ) if I brought home something other than an A in that class! So I did about 30 extra credit worksheets and pulled it up to an A;)

2kitties
12-28-2003, 06:08 PM
My mom always told me- still tells me- that a person will only achieve what they allow themselves to believe they can achieve. So she said if all I wanted to do is pass, then that is what I would do. But if I told myself I could make A's and go to college and have a career as a successful member of society- then I could do that too. And just in case I decided I only wanted to pass, she told me she'd kick my ass and I'd never leave the house if I didn't make A's!:D

Cataholic
12-28-2003, 06:09 PM
I lived with my dad until I was 16...and he was VERY strict. Then, I moved in with mom, and she wasn't very strict. Consequently, I didn't do that well.

I went on to college, and really, outside of my major, I didn't do very well.

Then, in law school, I did pretty well.

While grades are A measure of something, they really aren't telltale, in my opinion. WAY more important is what you learn, and I think a voracious reader will go further in life than the 'straight A' student....

(maybe I say that since I didn't do that well in school, and read ALL the time???)

2kitties
12-28-2003, 06:12 PM
Cat, I understand what you say, but I think "good grades" are relative. You may not have the grades you considered to be high, but I am certain that had you not been a good student with good marks, then you would not suffix with esq.

But then again, what do you call the medical school graduate with the worst grades?

Doctor.

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I lived with my dad until I was 16...and he was VERY strict. Then, I moved in with mom, and she wasn't very strict. Consequently, I didn't do that well.

While grades are A measure of something, they really aren't telltale, in my opinion. WAY more important is what you learn, and I think a voracious reader will go further in life than the 'straight A' student....

I do the exact oppisite lol. My mom isn't strict, but boy does she get mad at me if I fail something. I have that regular teenage *gotta do the oppisite of what they want* attitude. ;)

I agree that a person's intelligence shouldn't be based on grades. Look at Einstien. He failed math lol.

tikeyas_mom
12-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I do the exact oppisite lol. My mom isn't strict, but boy does she get mad at me if I fail something. I have that regular teenage *gotta do the oppisite of what they want* attitude. ;)

I agree that a person's intelligence shouldn't be based on grades. Look at Einstien. He failed math lol.
he was also dyslexic ;)..

cali
12-28-2003, 10:50 PM
lol only if you call this strict

dad: "what did you get in siance on your report card shayna?"
me: "54%"
dad:"AWSOME, congrats! why dont I take you out to eat as a congradulataions!"

however I go to a univarsity prep school, we do first year univarsity work by grade 11, and the teacher expect to much, my parents know that so they dont expect high grades in a school like that. my math teacher on the other hand.... well if you get less then 99% on an exam you fail, and you had better get ready to repeat the class :rolleyes: I acualy had to write a note to my mom about why I only got a 76% on a math exam once, and bring it back signed lol my mom was like "thats BAD?" and signed it like whatever. lol

K9karen
12-28-2003, 11:49 PM
This is still embarrasing, even at my age..
Even in grammar school I had a severe math problem. Now I realize it was a sort of Number dyslexia. A's and B's in Jr High with everything but..you guessed it, math. In high school, I had a math tutor for 2 years and barely got by. Geometry almost was the death of me. I easily passed History and English courses. I carry a calculator for anything having to do with numbers. My parents knew I was doing my best. the teachers always wanted to see them becuase they thought I forged signatures on failing math tests, but they hepled and supported me. I just had/have a mental block. My brain goes dead. As smart as I was in everything else, having poor math skills ruined my SAT scores for college. I always wanted to go into medicine..human or vet. But I found my niche in something else and did great for 32 years. Until I got laid off. :(

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by K9karen
This is still embarrasing, even at my age..
Even in grammar school I had a severe math problem. Now I realize it was a sort of Number dyslexia. A's and B's in Jr High with everything but..you guessed it, math. In high school, I had a math tutor for 2 years and barely got by. Geometry almost was the death of me. I easily passed History and English courses. I carry a calculator for anything having to do with numbers. My parents knew I was doing my best. the teachers always wanted to see them becuase they thought I forged signatures on failing math tests, but they hepled and supported me. I just had/have a mental block. My brain goes dead. :(
That sure sounds like me. I'll push my brain until it litterally hurts. I had a tutor last year, and still only got 53% in math. I only passed because I got 64% on my final exam. If I would have gotten lower...Well, I guess I'd be in math 10 this year.

That's why I really need to pass this year, so that I don't have to take math next year. Of course, I only have 13% in math right now, so that isn't exactly passing... I can't wait until they switch my teacher.

G.P.girl
12-29-2003, 12:16 AM
when i went to hungarian schools i went to see a tutor every day after school, and i was there for 2-2 1/2 hours, but i still couldn't get better than B' and C's in core subjects.adn i hadn't gotten a B or higher in math since 3rd grade. but now that we're back in america and i don't have a tutor bothering me everyday i have a 3.9 Gpa. it might be that i was used to the american stlye of learning and that's why i didn't do so well in hungarian schools...i'm not really sure. but i've always had problems with math. it's like i kind of understand, but it's just out of my grasp. does anybody know what i'm talking about?:)

Cataholic
12-29-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by 2kitties
Cat, I understand what you say, but I think "good grades" are relative. You may not have the grades you considered to be high, but I am certain that had you not been a good student with good marks, then you would not suffix with esq.

Really, I didn't do very well in high school or college. But, I agree that good grades are 'relative'. I think good grades mean you pay attention, can memorize (if not actually learn), are in school most of the time, do well on tests, etc. BUT, they are not the indication of future life champions...I would rather see my child maintain a "C" average, participate in sports (one at a time), read every night, and have conversational skills than overachieve in school.

I see these brainy kids today...and they can't hold a conversation with anyone, don't have any table skills, act about 10 years younger than they are, AND couldn't run to the front door unless it is to open it for the pizza guy.....

Prairie Purrs
12-29-2003, 01:01 PM
I think good grades mean you pay attention, can memorize (if not actually learn), are in school most of the time, do well on tests, etc. BUT, they are not the indication of future life champions...

Well, I'd say it's more complicated than that. A good grade in a well-taught class generally means the student has learned something. If the teacher is lazy, or "teaching to tests" because of political pressure placed on the school and faculty, a good grade may not mean much at all.

Also, good grades may indicate more about future success if the student has to work to get the grades. "A"s may not be much of a success predictor for a kid with a 150 IQ who can pass a final exam after sleeping through class the entire term. But where a student has to employ good work habits to get high grades, those habits tend to carry over into the real world.

Cataholic
12-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by CatsinDenver
Well, I'd say it's more complicated than that. A good grade in a well-taught class generally means the student has learned something. If the teacher is lazy, or "teaching to tests" because of political pressure placed on the school and faculty, a good grade may not mean much at all.

Also, good grades may indicate more about future success if the student has to work to get the grades. "A"s may not be much of a success predictor for a kid with a 150 IQ who can pass a final exam after sleeping through class the entire term. But where a student has to employ good work habits to get high grades, those habits tend to carry over into the real world.

More complicated than that? Do ya think? I was talking in general terms....and, since most of public education today is 'teaching to tests'....well, I think it is more on the mark than not.

I stand by my statement. Good grades are not indicators of future champions. Good grades are just that, good grades. I am proof of that.

ramanth
12-30-2003, 09:55 AM
My parents were a little strict. I mean, they wanted us to do good, but they never grounded us for bad grades.

I usually got A's and B's (more B's than A's actually). I loved class and learning... I'm just not a very good test taker. That was my weakness. I love History but I can't remember dates to save my life. Math was also a hard subject for me. I usually squeaked by with C's. My only D was in Chemistry.

My parents understood this and helped when they could.

I averaged around a 3.0 in HS and College. Hell, it took me 4 semesters before I finally passed a college algebra class. Basic algebra at that. :o

babolaypo65
12-30-2003, 11:34 AM
While my parents were pretty strict, for me good grades were a means to an end... a scholarship. I desperately wanted to go to college (no one ever had in my family) and the only way that was going to happen was to get a scholarship. I didn't always learn a lot in high school, which I regret, but then I WAS a teenager. But I did get the scholarship, and managed to keep it through college. Thank goodness. I learned so so so much in college....really helped me catch up.

Prairie Purrs
12-30-2003, 12:12 PM
I stand by my statement. Good grades are not indicators of future champions. Good grades are just that, good grades. I am proof of that.

Good grades, however, open doors that bad grades do not.

In my case, outstanding high school grades (plus a high ACT score) got me into a very good college. The mere fact that I had attended that particular college got me my first job as a radio newscaster--the station manager didn't even look at my resume, but hired me as soon as I told him where I went to school.

When I decided to go to law school, my grades brought me scholarships that made it possible. And my law school grades resulted in offers from firms that wouldn't have looked at me if I'd been ranked lower in the class.

Good grades may not guarantee championhood--but bad grades can sink your chances.

2kitties
12-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Good grades may not guarantee championhood--but bad grades can sink your chances.

No one could have said it better CID. Excellent point.

cali
12-30-2003, 08:16 PM
the station manager didn't even look at my resume, but hired me as soon as I told him where I went to school.

thats the school not the grades people that go to my school always get priority over kids from another high school grades do not come into effect here, I go to a university prep school, its one of the best international high schools in the world, I have low grades, but if a straight A student applied for univarsity say, and there was one spot left, I averave a C, well I would get the spot just because I happen to go to this school. thats the school NOT the grades that have influence here

2kitties
12-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by cali
thats the school not the grades people that go to my school always get priority over kids from another high school grades do not come into effect here, I go to a university prep school, its one of the best international high schools in the world, I have low grades, but if a straight A student applied for univarsity say, and there was one spot left, I averave a C, well I would get the spot just because I happen to go to this school. thats the school NOT the grades that have influence here
But in the case of University, not Univeristy prep, you need the good grades in order to be accepted in the first place. You enroll into prep school. You are accepted into college. Regardless of your prep school, higher end Universities will not accept a C student.

Cataholic
12-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Good grades, however, open doors that bad grades do not.

In my case, outstanding high school grades (plus a high ACT score) got me into a very good college. The mere fact that I had attended that particular college got me my first job as a radio newscaster--the station manager didn't even look at my resume, but hired me as soon as I told him where I went to school.

When I decided to go to law school, my grades brought me scholarships that made it possible. And my law school grades resulted in offers from firms that wouldn't have looked at me if I'd been ranked lower in the class.

These are just generalizations...bad grades CAN, but, don't have to sink any chances...just like good grades CAN open doors...but, there are lots of ways to open doors.

That you got a job BECAUSE of where you went to school is somewhat appalling to me. I fight against that sort of typecasting...it reminds me of the caste system...you are something because of 'who' you are. That stinks, in my opinion.

There used to be a female attorney that worked here. She went on to do something more to her liking. She spent lots of time talking about her daddy. She bragged about her parachoial (yikes I spelled that wrong) upbringing...her private college education and her, arguably, better law school. She could trace her roots back to some historically significant personage.

What was so funny, and to me, so telling, is that we both worked at the same place, doing the same thing. I just don't think that your schooling/grades really matter.

Prairie Purrs
12-31-2003, 12:35 PM
That you got a job BECAUSE of where you went to school is somewhat appalling to me. I fight against that sort of typecasting...it reminds me of the caste system...you are something because of 'who' you are. That stinks, in my opinion.

Caste system? Please! I was applying for a job as a radio newscaster, and the school I was attending was the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University.

The station manager was aware that it's not easy to get into Medill, nor is it easy to stay there. He made the rash assumption that if my skills were good enough for Medill, they were good enough for his radio station. And I proved him right.

There's a big difference between coasting along on famous-name coattails and earning your way into a prestigious school. My parents could barely afford to send me to college, but I got there on grades and scholarships. So yes, I suppose I've made my way in the world based on "who" I am--an intelligent and hard-working person. I'm sorry if you have a problem with that.

As you know, many law firms only interview the top one-third or one-quarter of a given law school class, ranked according to their grades. So if a law graduate wants to start out working for a big-name firm (with the big-time money), he or she had better get the grades. Sure, there are other ways to end up working for that firm--but the top-ranked students are going to get a head start.

Good grades are not a bad thing. I would never discourage someone who is capable of making top grades from striving to do so, because it's easier to get into good schools and to get a good job upon graduation if your grades are high than if they're mediocre. Why would anyone want to make breaking into the job market even more difficult than it already is?

Cataholic
01-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Please note....nothing that I have posted in this thread was directed at anyone, personally. I don't have a 'problem' with you, your sucess, or anything else....I was stating my opinion on the thred topic, in general. Sorry if I somehow managed to offend you. It wasn't my intent.

PUPGIRL
01-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Actually, I have a 4.0 (not to brag!, well ya, to brag, LOL) ;)

G.P.girl
01-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by PUPGIRL
Actually, I have a 4.0 (not to brag!, well ya, to brag, LOL) ;)
WOO HOOOO!! me too!:D

cali
01-11-2004, 12:39 PM
I dont want to sound stupid but what on earth does "4.0" mean??? is that good? whats bad, what are you guys talking about?? :confused:

GoldenRetrLuver
01-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by cali
I dont want to sound stupid but what on earth does "4.0" mean??? is that good? whats bad, what are you guys talking about?? :confused:

It's your "Grade Point Average" (GPA) which is an average of all your grades. They rank from 0-4.0. 4.0 is the highest you can get, which means you have straight A's, so yes it's good. Example: If you get an A in a class, that's a 4.0 and if you get a B in a class that's a 3.0 and there's a way you can average it all out, so you can find your GPA. I'm not great in math, so I'm not exactly sure. :o

cali
01-11-2004, 01:50 PM
ook I averaged mine out and I am ate a 2.0, not suprising lol the highest mark I have gotten in a class is a B. but I average C's and Ds. hey I cant write and all the highest marks come out of writing. :eek:

2kitties
01-12-2004, 09:43 AM
I don't have a 'problem' with you, your sucess, or anything else....

But I have a problem with your success, Cat.

;) :p hee hee.

*kiss*

Cataholic
01-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 2kitties
But I have a problem with your success, Cat.

;) :p hee hee.

*kiss*

Yeah, my success! The shoebox I live in? The 5 year old car I drive? The 65K debt I carry? Oh, I know, it MUST be my sheer beauty and intelligent wit, right? Or, my collection of blackies? If you are 2kitties...I am 7kitties! Only one more, and I will be you x four! (good gosh, have I hit the sauce already this am???)

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-12-2004, 09:55 AM
My parents were always strict when it came to our grades. Well, it was mostly my dad. Anything under an A was not acceptable! My older brother and I excelled at school. We both graduated high school as our class valedictorians. I finished college in 3 years with a 3.87 GPA and got my masters with a 4.0. My brother is graduating from GA Tech this summer with a 3.9 and a degree in Electrical Engineer. My youngest brother is a different. He is doing well now in college but was an average student in high school.

I thank my parents for their strict ways when it came to school. We were rewarded when we did well. It has instilled discipline and good work ethics in us.

2kitties
01-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Yeah, my success! The shoebox I live in? The 5 year old car I drive? The 65K debt I carry? Oh, I know, it MUST be my sheer beauty and intelligent wit, right? Or, my collection of blackies? If you are 2kitties...I am 7kitties! Only one more, and I will be you x four! (good gosh, have I hit the sauce already this am???)

please be 8Kitties, please oh please!!!

Katiesmom
01-13-2004, 09:05 AM
My mom wasn't strict about grades the only thing she wanted was for me to graduate and I did now I'm in college with a 3.9 GPA!

2kitties
01-13-2004, 09:35 AM
katiesmom, I see you're in NC. I grew up and went to school in NC. What college do you attend? I graduated in 97 from UNC-CH.

Katiesmom
01-13-2004, 09:47 AM
2kitties, you can call me Crystal. I don't go to a university I go to a community college Western Piedmont. I would love to go to a university but I have a family that includes a 3 year old so it will be awhile before I can go to one. What part of NC did you grow up in?

2kitties
01-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi Crystal. I grew up near Hickory.

Katiesmom
01-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Really, I live five mins away from Hickory, I live in Icard

cali
01-13-2004, 10:48 AM
jeeze i feel stupid compared to all you guys, bragging about all you high grades and just aout straight As.. then theres me, i have not had an A since elementery school. and now i am just barely above a fail :( now if we learned about dog stuff, and dog grooming, and nutrion kind of thing i would be a straight A student! lol ya think it could be that i have no intrest in anything other then animal care? lol no no cuz that does not expain why I do well in history when its my least favorite subject lol. hmmm anyone mind exaplining why no matter how hard I try I never do any good? hmm I think I will stick with being a dog groomer or trainor or something! :D

Katiesmom
01-13-2004, 11:23 AM
cali, when I was in high school I had forgotten what an A was shoot I forgot what B's and C's were I did just barely graduate I graduated with D's I think so no college at that time would have wanted me. I just wasn't into school I didn't find anything that really interested me there so I just didn't put no effort into it. Atleast I did graduate tho...I don't see how tho:eek: :p

2kitties
01-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Everyone can learn. We all just learn in different ways and some things come easier than others. But, just because you haven't found your way to learn, it doesn' mean you can't. Before labeling yourself, try a tutor who can help you figure out your own style. Good grades can open many doors. Never settle!

Katiesmom
01-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Yea cali I agree with 2kitties....I didn't mean to sound like its ok to make thos bad grades if you don't have too....Its always good to put an effort into making those good grades If I had to do over I would be a book worm because I missed out on so much.:(

cali
01-13-2004, 12:13 PM
oh I have already figerd out my style of learning, problem may have to do with luck lol. I am a very smart person, I study hard, and I work very hard. yet I get no where. same thing in showdog, I do everything possable to keep my money up, but I am at an extremly unusail high right now at only $900, half the time I am in the hole, I offer all my dogs up for stud, I sell good dogs, I dont buy a lot of dogs, I show little(to little money), and I only have 4 sessions for maximum salery yet I barby stay out of the whole, then other people who refuse to sell there dogs, or let people use then for stud, they show a tone, and have 12 sessions no salery have $60,000, no one can figer it out. obviously work style has to do with it, but luck plays a facter to. I work style is just nothing like anyone elses. and teachers go by majority and if you dont arrive at the answer the teachers way your answer is considered wrong. :eek: Im just bad luck that way lol, like I said I think I will stick with my intrests and talents, dog nutrition, training, and grooming lol :p

cali
01-13-2004, 12:16 PM
or well acually my friend pointed out aonmther thing I am good at. she said I should study at tlike a beauty school or something because I have always had a talent with makeup, and working with people hair and such :D lol I have plenty of talents! to bad non of them have a whole lot to do with what we learn in school lol

Katiesmom
01-13-2004, 12:17 PM
that sounds like my luck! If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all:(