PDA

View Full Version : what kind of food do you feed your dog?

countrycowgirl
12-17-2003, 07:27 PM
i was just wondering what kind of dog food everybody feeds :)

Amber
12-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Purina Beneful wieght control. :)

cali
12-17-2003, 07:38 PM
BARF (bones and raw food, or biologicly approprait raw food, but considering I cant spell lets go with bones and raw food lol) :p

GoldenRetrLuver
12-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Nutro Large Breed Adult.
But, I'm *hoping* I can switch them to Chicken Soup.

Shelteez2
12-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Innova and a partial raw diet.

wolfsoul
12-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Timber gets Nutro Dental Care, and Leather just got switched to this gross stuff called President's Choice, but since she lives with my stepmom I can't change it. :( After I move out I'll be doing primary homecooked.

binka_nugget
12-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Chicken soup for the dog lover's soul with some raw beef bones here and there to keep the teeth white and sparkling. This is only until I can do more research to get them back on BARF or homecooked.

slleipnir
12-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Alpo..lol

RubyMutt
12-17-2003, 11:19 PM
ProPlan Adult Chicken & Rice formula :)

The Cat Factory
12-18-2003, 03:02 AM
Buddy get's Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul :)

Rio and Me
12-18-2003, 05:17 AM
Rio gets Dr jhons complete food for large working dogs, with pal meat.
My uncle is trying to train her to work, (good luck to him I say, she's an agility dog really, he he in the new year she will be)
Ky and Rio

shais_mom
12-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Chicken soup for the Dog lover's soul in Senior since she is watching her figure and they don't have a weight control and it is lower in fat.
:)

FizzGiggs_Mommy
12-18-2003, 06:45 AM
I feed my Boxer and my bichon Canidee. I feed my 6 year old pug Eukanuba's brand for older dogs.

Bandit's mom
12-18-2003, 06:47 AM
I feed Bandit Purina Beneful 100% complete and balanced. :)

pitc9
12-18-2003, 08:52 AM
My pups get Proplan Lamb & Rice

tomkatzid
12-18-2003, 11:11 AM
We just switched to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul, they really like it.

My Peanuts
12-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Chicken soup for the pet lover's soul. Puppy formula for Sylvia and Adult formula for Harley. Once you try it for your pups, you won't go back to anything else.

My Peanuts
12-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by FizzGiggs_Mommy
I feed my Boxer and my bichon Canidee. I feed my 6 year old pug Eukanuba's brand for older dogs.

AWW, please post some pics of that 6 year old Pug! :D

Dobiegirl24
12-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Pepper is on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul for puppies to put weight on him. Honey is still on Canidae. But I'll be switching them both to Chicken Soup for the dog lover's soul since Pep is almost at a perfect weight now(:D :D :D )

countrycowgirl
12-18-2003, 03:00 PM
wow that a lot of different foods i feed i feed Purina Beneful but this chicken soup for the petlovers soul sounds like some good food where do you find it

Chris J
12-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Flint River Ranch....

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 03:26 PM
chicken soup for the dog lovers soul :)

In the past i have fed, lamb and rice nutro as a main food

and bad foods that i have fed are iams, and pedigree .:o :o

Christiansmommy
12-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by countrycowgirl
wow that a lot of different foods i feed i feed Purina Beneful but this chicken soup for the petlovers soul sounds like some good food where do you find it

I also feed mine Chicken Soup food...once you read the ingriedients, you will be sold...and not a bad price either...you can do a search on the website i am attaching to see where it is sold in your area:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

I also do a partial raw diet for my dog.

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by countrycowgirl

ugh!!!

i would switch the dog foods you are on right now. they have alot of main fillers and their ingredients, beneful has corn, and that is used in alot of cruddy dog food.

I would switch to Nutro, Innova, or chicken soup for the dog lover soul.

You can get chicken soup dog food from special dog bulk food stores, like hickocks, umm... sunshine pets. You can also order it online.

wolfsoul
12-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Yeah, purina ANYTHING is gross lol. :p No offence.. :o

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Yeah, purina ANYTHING is gross lol. :p No offence.. :o

i agree :p

GSDgurl
12-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Does this dog food....Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul...just come in canned foods or does it also come in hard bagged food?? I read the thread Christiansmommy put up....the food sounds great...but I have heard soft food isn't all that great for dogs. Causes bad breath, tarter...what the vet told me.

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by GSDgurl
Does this dog food....Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul...just come in canned foods or does it also come in hard bagged food?? I read the thread Christiansmommy put up....the food sounds great...but I have heard soft food isn't all that great for dogs. Causes bad breath, tarter...what the vet told me.

'my chicken soup for the dog lovers soul comes in a huge 40 pound bag, dryed dog food... i havent ever seen cans befor.. umm.. :confused:

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 04:22 PM
They come in cans as well, if you looked on their website.

I feed my dogs Purina One. And it's not "GROSS".:rolleyes:

Simba enjoys it (it's the only food he'll actually eat at all meals) and for the price the ingrediants are just fine.:rolleyes:

Cincy'sMom
12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
California Nautural Lamb and Rice

Christiansmommy
12-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

Simba enjoys it (it's the only food he'll actually eat at all meals) and for the price the ingrediants are just fine.:rolleyes:

I have to agree that we shouldnt be "mocking" food that other people feed their dogs. We can offer suggestions, of what we feed, but i don't feel we should say something is gross...that just doesn't make sense to me to do that. Offering suggestions is one thing. Just my honest opinion.

And to GSDgurl- i just put a tablespoon in his dry at night to add a littel flavor...never a full can, b/c i have heard that too about helping the teeth get more tarter, etc. Check out the link i provided up above...they sell can and dry.

cali
12-18-2003, 04:29 PM
I feed my dogs Purina One. And it's not "GROSS".

lol I half agree with both cases, MOST purina food is horrable and cr*p, but purina one is there premium formula, that is what we fed before switching to real food, and shadow did fine on it, well not that great, but it was all she could eat without puking every few hours :eek:

K9soul
12-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Royal Canin.

And I agree we shouldn't put down what others feed their dogs. I wouldn't like it if someone did that to me ;)

wolfsoul
12-18-2003, 05:03 PM
I said it wasn't meant to be offensive, so sorry if people found it so. It's my own opinion that the ingredients are less than wonderful. Not to mention that I don't promote anything that tests on animals.

Pam
12-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. :)

wolfsoul
12-18-2003, 05:14 PM
Wow, lots of people feed Chicken Soup. :) They sell that at the store about half an hour away from me. I'd give it to Timber if it was as cheap as Nutro, but we can't afford anything more unfortunatly. After I move out and feed primary homecooked, it's a food that I'll add. Great ingredients. :)

Pam
12-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Wolfsoul, I was feeding Eukanuba before and in my area at least it is just about the same price as Eukanuba. I think it is probably less than Nutro. Are you sure it isn't?

wolfsoul
12-18-2003, 05:22 PM
I thought that it was more when I saw it. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I did see it. I'll have to talk to my friend; she buys it from there. :)

wolf_Q
12-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Nebo's currently on Royal Canin Holistic Blend but I'm in the process of switching him to Natural Balance.

Those are the most premium foods that are available to me within a reasonable distance.

Smokey and Reggie are on Petgold Senior, it's Petco's premium brand.

binka_nugget
12-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Wow, I never knew so many people feed Chicken Soup. It's really a great food. The ingredients are amazing and the price isn't too bad. It was $46 (canadian) for a 35 pound bag. I've read that when you feed a better quality food, you don't have to feed as much since they're getting more of what they need. So when it comes down to it, it's really not that expensive.

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 07:04 PM

umm... just because the animal likes the food doesnt mean it is good for them.. you should know that kayann. Does it have any fillers, I bet it does, because all of purina dog food do. they are gross.

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
umm... just because the animal likes the food doesnt mean it is good for them.. you should know that kayann. Does it have any fillers, I bet it does, because all of purina dog food do. they are gross.

I do know that, but when it's the only food he will eat without forcing him IT IS NOT GROSS. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it may have fillers.

They are not 'gross' :rolleyes:

K9soul
12-18-2003, 07:10 PM

Why talk down to someone over what they feed their dog? Kay obviously loves, adores and takes immaculate care of her dogs, and she does what she feels is best for them. Because not everyone agrees about the ingredients doesn't mean she needs to be personally slammed for it. Sorry, but really found your response pretty rude.

I have heard about dogs that lived 16 years eating table scraps or generic grocery store dog food. I have my own likes and dislikes in the different brands, but just like I wouldn't lecture someone on how they feed their children, I don't with their dogs either.

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 07:11 PM
I do know that, but when it's the only food he will eat without forcing him IT IS NOT GROSS.

I'm sure it may have fillers.

They are not 'gross':rolleyes:

ok then, it isnt 'gross', it is unhealthy. :)

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 07:12 PM
ok then, it isnt 'gross', it is unhealthy. :)

Obviously not for him, because he's in complete health.

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Why talk down to someone over what they feed their dog? Kay obviously loves, adores and takes immaculate care of her dogs, and she does what she feels is best for them. Because not everyone agrees about the ingredients doesn't mean she needs to be personally slammed for it. Sorry, but really found your response pretty rude.

im not slamming her, i am just educating her :). And others that may feed purina dog foods. :). I know that she cares for her dogs, like all of us here :). BUT there are alot of different foods out there to feed your dog, that are healthy, and I'm sure if Simba was hungry enough he would eat it.

PapillonCrazie!
12-18-2003, 07:16 PM
i am just educating her

For some reason I find that funny....KayAnn doesn't need your "education.":rolleyes:

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 07:16 PM
And you're not 'educating me', so don't try. I know what's "good" or "bad" but if he doesn't like the other foods we've tried, we will stick to this food, and nothing, especially some girl on an internet forum is going to change that.

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 07:25 PM
And you're not 'educating me', so don't try. I know what's "good" or "bad" but if he doesn't like the other foods we've tried, we will stick to this food, and nothing, especially some girl on an internet forum is going to change that.

If I am right this forum is a pet forum, and ppl come here to ask for help and to be givin advise.

K9soul
12-18-2003, 07:27 PM
My mother always said, "Don't offer advice unless it is asked for."

That's good advice =p.

If Kay had posted "I'm feeding my dogs this, do you all think that is a good food or not?" Then your response would be warranted. See the difference? :)

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 07:28 PM
If I am right this forum is a pet forum, and ppl come here to ask for help and to be givin advise.

You are right, this is a pet forum. But, if you look back, I don't remember one question or statement of me asking for help or advice.

Dogz
12-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Jynelle- I know that this is a pet forum, and it is for giving and getting advice, BUT Kay doesn't need your advice on this one. It is what Simba likes, you can't change that.

My dogs like Science Diet. That is the only kind they eat. I think I might try the Chicken Soup food though, I have heard good things from you guys.:)

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
My mother always said, "Don't offer advice unless it is asked for."

That's good advice =p.

I DON'T WANT YOUR ADVICE!! Juuusstt Kidding.. :p

KYS
12-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Kfamr: I feed my dogs Purina One. And it's not "GROSS".>>

Not to get in the middle of any food debates,
but a few years back,
I used to subscribe to Good Dog,
a consumer Dog magazine.
Purina One was the only grocery market food
that made the list of Super premium foods that was
on the same level as Nutro, Eukanuba, Diamond etc.

I use Canidae, but I am a firm believer if the ingredients are good, and your dog thrives well on a food, is healthy, than lets not knock it. : )

shais_mom
12-18-2003, 07:35 PM
, i am just educating her .

This is one of the funniest posts I have ever read.
B/c YOU never take any of the advice WE give. So why are you trying educate her? Kay Ann is feeding the best food that her family can afford to give her dogs, she has stated that several several several times.
Give her a break and stop trying to 'fight' with her all the time, here is another example of where you 2 are trying to have the last and best word.
That is the bad thing about food threads, they get going about like the declaw threads and people don't know when to stop b/c their emotions get in the way.

tikeyas_mom
12-18-2003, 07:46 PM
This is one of the funniest posts I have ever read.

ok :rolleyes:

Christiansmommy
12-18-2003, 07:52 PM
So what was this thread about again...oh yeah...what kind of food do you feed your dog, right?

Okay, then lets get back to that topic...anyone else? What kind of food does your dog eat?

Dogz
12-18-2003, 07:53 PM
ok :rolleyes:

I agree with Christiansmommy.

Just DROP IT.:)

Kfamr
12-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
So what was this thread about again...oh yeah...what kind of food do you feed your dog, right?

Okay, then lets get back to that topic...anyone else? What kind of food does your dog eat?

Exactly!

Shelteez2
12-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by GSDgurl
...but I have heard soft food isn't all that great for dogs. Causes bad breath, tarter...what the vet told me.

I'd have to say that that I don't agree with that.......Most dogs don't chew their food. If you've ever had a dog that threw up after eating you wouldn notice that the kibbles are almost whole.
Also if you go by the theory that chewing the kibble keeps the dog's teeth clean then you could say that chewing something like pretzles would keep our teeth clean....and we all know that's not the case :)
Just MHO.

countrycowgirl
12-18-2003, 09:05 PM
i have to get this off my chest i started this thread just to see what other people feed there dogs not to start a cat fight i feed my dogs purina and pedigree go ahead and tell me how bad excuse me "unheathly" it is for my dogs i don't care my dogs are doing fine on the food it is the only food they will eat and they love it anyways let us get back to what this thread is or what i wanted it to be about.

Logan
12-18-2003, 09:08 PM
I hate these dog food questions (no offense to the one who started it) for exactly the reason that you all have seen in this thread. Even the author didn't ask for your opinion, just what kind of food you feed.

We've read here that people are feeding Purina Brands, Alpo, Chicken Soup, Flint River Ranch, Eukanuba, Science Diet, etc. The big issue with many people is the allergies that the dogs get from the corn meal that is a filler in these foods. My puppies ate Purina Puppy Chow for the first year of their lives. I had a Cocker Spaniel that lived almost 13 years, and I bought Alpo for her. I didn't have the money or the information to do anything different. In fact, my vet (who is well educated and very experienced and trusted) told me that he fed his own dogs Purina brand because of their commitment to research and the pet industry. I know now that veterinarians do not study nutrition very much, but I do know that my dogs were perfectly healthy all the time that they were on these products.

My stance has always been to get the best food you can afford for your dog, and love them to pieces and make sure they get veterinary attention when they need it. A lot of dogs have done just fine on grocery store brand foods for a lot of years. That's for sure! In a pinch, I have bought Purina Beneful, by the way, and my dogs LOVED it!!!!! :)

To answer the question you asked, KayKay, all four of my dogs are currently eating Flint River Ranch Senior Plus food, and the main reason I changed to that food, versus the California Natural Lamb and Rice that they were eating was availability and the fact that it is delivered to my door once per month. With 4 big dogs, we go through about 20 pounds per week and I was always forgetting to put my order in for the Cal. Nat. in time to get it and had to make a 30 minute drive to pick it up (across town). Now the UPS man does all the work for me and I am on an automatic shipment.

My friend, Missy, has a website with lots of comparisons on dog food, if it would interest you or anyone, and you can get updates from her as she adds new brands as well as request a nutritional study on one if she hasn't done it. (She has also done cat food) The website is www.greatgoldens.com (not just for Golden Retrievers......it's just called that because that's the kind of dogs she has).

tomkatzid
12-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Love the web site on the food. Great info.

lovemyshiba
12-18-2003, 11:31 PM
I would love to try the Chicken soup brand, unfortunatley it isn't sold around here. And until it is, I probably won't try it. It's too hard for me to make the orders in time.

Abbey, Riley and Jada eat Purina One as well. They love it, have no allergies, and are in perfect health. They eat it readily every meal, don't throw up, and their teeth are very clean too.
Kito is fed Sensible Choice chicken and rice, because it is for more sensitive bellies--he has a tendency to throw up on other foods, and not with this one. Notice I said that is what he is fed, he's not a big eater, and doesn't always dive into the dish. He gets a bit of Nutro's Duck, lamb and pasta canned food when I feed him too.

My parent's dog, Max, is 16, and healthy. He has been eating the walmart food for years (I forget what it's called). He won't eat the senior formula, so he just gets the regular stuff.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

tomkatzid
12-19-2003, 02:24 AM
We found the chicken soup food at a feed store that mainly deals with horses, they are starting to carry some very good top grade dog and cat foods. So call around and you may find someone has it where you didn't expect to see it. Like someone else said you actually feed a little less so the price is pretty good compared to some other foods. Plus, the girls LOVE it......tom

julietoad
12-19-2003, 09:20 AM
I was reading a similar post on another board and someone made a great analogy

Eating grocery store dog food is like a human eating McDonalds every day. It will taste good, you will live on it, but it is unhealthy.

That said, I believe that people should buy the best dog food they can afford. If it is Purina, so be it.

I used to feed solid gold, now feed Innova. My dogs also get Solid Gold Tripe 2 tablespoons once a day.

tikeyas_mom
12-19-2003, 09:47 AM
i agree julietoad :)

My bag on Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul was only 25$ for a HUGE 40 pounder. and thats Canadian $$ lol.

cloverfdx
12-19-2003, 09:48 AM
At the moment we are feeding the dogs

Clover, Pedigree advance and some supermarket stuff (Chum crunchy) that i won at a Obedience trial (NQ score all other dogs bombed out aswell so we still got the food) and she also has raw beef pet mince and raw beef bones.

Penny and Theodore (toy sized dogs) are havig cooked beef mince with garlic and vegies, and some dry food which they love (pedigree pal mini's) plus chicken necks for their teeth.

& Elvis is having Pedigree rehydratable puppy food/ super coat puppy about 50% mixed (he prefers the cheaper supercoat) and also very small amounts of tinned puppy food (pedigree) and calcium enriched pet milk.

may as well add that my cat can only eat Purina One cat food everything else she eats she throws up.

so i will stick to my Purina (used to feed Purina proplan) the animals love it and are all in great condition and have plenty of energy, and are not over weight or under weight (unlike some dogs who are on Purina)

oh and does anyone know anything about the benifits of kelp (powdered/ or liquid) ? thanks

cali
12-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Eating grocery store dog food is like a human eating McDonalds every day. It will taste good, you will live on it, but it is unhealthy.

thats true, but you also have to think that just because a food meets AFFCO standerds does not make it a good food, litterly an old boot meets AFFCO standerd. another reason why I will stick with real food thank you very much, lol:eek:

wolfsoul
12-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by cloverfdx

oh and does anyone know anything about the benifits of kelp (powdered/ or liquid) ? thanks
They still don't know the benefits or side effects of kelp in dogs. :)

cloverfdx
12-19-2003, 10:18 AM
thanks Jordan, i was told by a woman from Flyball that it helps with the pigmentation of the skin and it could be good for the dogs coat (the colour of the coat) the vet told me the other day that it should not do any harm and i could try it for Clovers coat and Elvis's nose (quite a large pink patch on his nose and muzzle)

oh well i will keep researching :)

cali
12-19-2003, 10:41 AM
umm the pink patch a a BC pups nose is completly normal, dident you ever see mistys puppy pics? it fills in completly on its own. beside who cares about pigmintaions :rolleyes:

this is what mistys puppy nose looked like:
http://users.accesscomm.ca/k9furkids/photos/xmas_pup3_1202.jpg

it only took a few months to completly fill in.

cloverfdx
12-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Cali just PM'd you go read

cali
12-19-2003, 11:20 AM
and I just replied *

*edited, I will keep this a privat conversation.

aly
12-19-2003, 11:39 AM
As far as canned food being bad for the teeth, it’s totally true. I adopted Reece at a year old and he was on canned food only with his previous owners. The vet said he had the teeth of an 8 yr old dog because of that crap. I got his teeth cleaned and fixed up though. Crunching on the kibble DOES keep the tartar down. I think almost any vet will tell you this.

And as for the other topics on this thread, I think there is a difference between educating people and condescending them. Especially if you have a rocky past with a person, you really should leave the educating to someone else. I think if someone doesn't ask for advice, you could give gentle suggestions and guide them in a certain direction. But it is inappropriate to say things in such a rude, derogatory manner.

Binka was right in the fact that they eat less of the premium brands so it ends up not being expensive. They have to eat much more of the cheap stuff to get the same amount of nutrition.

My dogs are eating the Chicken Soup food after Staci showed it to me several months ago :)

Kfamr
12-19-2003, 11:52 AM
So are you saying my dog should sue Purina for making him fat? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

aly
12-19-2003, 12:05 PM
So are you saying my dog should sue Purina for making him fat? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If he does then I'm going to sue Pizza Hut for making me eat too much. :p :p

Kfamr
12-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by aly
If he does then I'm going to sue Pizza Hut for making me eat too much. :p :p

And i'm going to sure Wendy's for their 99cent menu.

shais_mom
12-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by aly
My dogs are eating the Chicken Soup food after Staci showed it to me several months ago :)

:D

micki76
12-19-2003, 12:37 PM
I feed Nature’s Recipe Venison and Rice. I have always fed premium food myself, BUT my family’s Chihuahua lived to be around 20 and all he ever ate was Special Cuts dog food from the grocery store.

aly
12-19-2003, 12:52 PM
And i'm going to sure Wendy's for their 99cent menu.

I'm going to sue you for getting that in my head. Now I won't rest until I get some Wendy's!

Kfamr
12-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by aly
I'm going to sue you for getting that in my head. Now I won't rest until I get some Wendy's!

I haven't ate yet today and if my mom doesn't bring Chick-Fil-A home from work then it's off to Wendy's we go! :p

clara4457
12-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by cloverfdx

My understanding (and I could very well be wrong) is that kelp is used as a natural preservative for dry dog food. I think it doesn't really have any nutrition value, but is used as a preservative. I see it a great deal in small amounts in holistic and all natural dog foods.

I actually just switched my two from Innova to Eagle Pack. Mostly as a convenience. My two did very well on Innova, but the only store that carried it was clear on the other side of town. A holistic pet store just opened a mile from my house and they offer only two types of dry dog food. Eagle Pack and Solid Gold. I opted for the Eagle Pack because it has less fat and Leo has a tendency to be overweight if I don't watch his diet (Rott/Chow/Retreiver Mix - go figure;) ). I also really like the place because they sell prepackaged raw diets and everything they sell is human grade food - treats, rawhides, everything. Plus they sell toys and collars and such at low markdown. I bought a booda toy for $6.00 the same toy sells at Petsmart for $9.99

I think there are a great many foods that dogs can do well on. It just depends on the dog. Seeing so many emaciated dogs and socially deprived dogs at the shelter that as long as you are giving your dog plenty of food, water, attention, and love is all that matters. JMHO

BTW - Purina is a good food. It has corn meal as a fuller, but as long as your dogs aren't allergic to it - it is a good food. All dry dog foods have some kind of filler. Some have corn, some have oatmeal, some have potato, etc. The problem with corn is that a lot of dogs are allergic to it, but other than that, it is fine.

And seeing how beautiful some of the dogs' coats are that are on Purina - more power to them. And you have to give Purina a great deal of credit - do you know how many animal causes they sponser? AGAIN JMHO

wolfsoul
12-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by clara4457

The problem with corn is that a lot of dogs are allergic to it, but other than that, it is fine.

I disagree..:) Corn is not just the leading cause of allergies, but also digestion problems. It also keeps the food in the stomach for up to 16 hours, giving the dog plenty of time to extract as much fat out of the food as it possibly can. The protien in it is hard to extract, and so the protien level on the dog food bag is wrong because the level of digestion depends on the dog.

BTW - Purina is a good food. It has corn meal as a fuller, but as long as your dogs aren't allergic to it - it is a good food.
In my own opinion, it's not only the corn...If you look at Beneful, for instance, there is absolutely no meat in the food until the seventh ingredient. It has high contents of sugar and salt. By products are the second ingredient. There's soy, etc. I believe that a dog food should be free of these, and have meat as the first ingredient, and one of the next two.

I hope that didn't come off as offensive. :) Not tellign peopel what to do, just saying what my opnions are on certain brands. Purina isn't the worst brand in my opnion at all.

wolf_Q
12-19-2003, 07:04 PM
(Taken from an earlier thread about cat food)

my cat eats friskies.. I will be feeding my future cat *acorn* Friskies as well.

I know we're talking about dog food...but umm...feeding your cat friskies is not any better than feeding a dog purina...:rolleyes:

Practice what you preach.

Kfamr
12-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

Now I have that one song in my head....:p

Amber
12-19-2003, 07:38 PM
(is not any better than feeding a dog purina...

Is Purina not a good brand? Because If it isnt a good brand I would want to switch her to something different. And if it is what would be a good food to switch too for a senior dog?

clara4457
12-19-2003, 09:55 PM
I respectively disagree - for it's price range it is the best food you can buy. It is all about what you can afford and what is best for your pup. I have seen many dogs who have thrived on this food, and I see no reason to make wonderful pet owners feel guilty about feeding this food. :(

tikeyas_mom
12-19-2003, 10:18 PM
(Taken from an earlier thread about cat food)

I know we're talking about dog food...but umm...feeding your cat friskies is not any better than feeding a dog purina...:rolleyes:

I have been doing alot of research lately and i am not going to feed friskies to Acorn, i am going to be feeding Go natural cat food, when i move out with acorn.

wolf_Q
12-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Amber
Is Purina not a good brand? Because If it isnt a good brand I would want to switch her to something different. And if it is what would be a good food to switch too for a senior dog?

I'm not here to say it is or isn't a good brand. My post was only to state that feeding a certain brand that isn't premium and bashing others for doing the same is really hypocritical.

I think the best way to determine if a food is good or not is just to educate yourself. I'm not a dog food expert, and I (unlike a few certain others) don't pretend to be. My parents always fed Reggie and Smokey cheap grocery store brands. They've had no problems at all. We've actually fed them premium brands for the past few months and I haven't noticed any difference. Honestly if I was younger and didn't have a job Nebo wouldn't be getting the most expensive food either.

I fed Nebo Pedigree when I first got him...it made him sick all the time. After using both, I'll always feed premium brands. But I think feeding your dog the best you can afford is FINE, and nobody needs to be rude about it. If your dog is healthy and has a nice coat then there really isn't a problem.

For me, the things I look for is that meat is the first ingredient and that there's no corn or bi-products.

Oh, and to answer the rest of your question....you could try Purino ProPlan Senior. I had some free coupons for that and Reggie and Smokey loved it.

Bandit's mom
12-20-2003, 12:25 AM
It's me Bandit's mom. I do feed my dog Purina but sometimes I table feed him a French fry or a piece of swiss cheese or a tiny piece of meat. I heard when you feed them people food they won't want to eat their dog food:confused: They need some of the things that are in their own food. It's made for them. It's what keeps them healthy. I have a tape on the purina kitchens and they are really clean. I don't know where it is right now but they go through a lot of time making good foods for the dogs.

binka_nugget
12-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Bandit's mom
It's me Bandit's mom. I do feed my dog Purina but sometimes I table feed him a French fry or a piece of swiss cheese or a tiny piece of meat. I heard when you feed them people food they won't want to eat their dog food:confused: They need some of the things that are in their own food. It's made for them. It's what keeps them healthy. I have a tape on the purina kitchens and they are really clean. I don't know where it is right now but they go through a lot of time making good foods for the dogs.

I'm guilty of giving my boys human food. If you allow the dog to have the choice of getting people food or doggy food, of course it'll pick people food. I give my boys a variety of people food...apples, bananas, small pieces of meat, eggs..I just have to make sure that I'm not feeding enough to disrupt the "balanced diet" they already get. It's kind of like adding a really sweet chocolate sundae to your diet. Once in a while is fine but if that's all they eat, it can be quite unhealthy.

Shelteez2
12-20-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I'm guilty of giving my boys human food. If you allow the dog to have the choice of getting people food or doggy food, of course it'll pick people food. I give my boys a variety of people food...apples, bananas, small pieces of meat, eggs..I just have to make sure that I'm not feeding enough to disrupt the "balanced diet" they already get. It's kind of like adding a really sweet chocolate sundae to your diet. Once in a while is fine but if that's all they eat, it can be quite unhealthy.

I think it depends on the food you are giving......fruits and veggies hardly compare to a chocolate sundae ;)
My dogs love their veggies. I wouldn't dream of not giving them any.

binka_nugget
12-20-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I think it depends on the food you are giving......fruits and veggies hardly compare to a chocolate sundae ;)
My dogs love their veggies. I wouldn't dream of not giving them any.

Yeah, fruits and veggies aren't horrible or anything but I guess what I was trying to say was that you need to be careful when feeding your dog human food. If you don't know what you're doing, and let's say..give unsafe food, increase the calories too much..yada yada yada, you could be asking for trouble. Anyways, back to the topic..I think I went off track enough :o

Logan
12-20-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by clara4457
I respectively disagree - for it's price range it is the best food you can buy. It is all about what you can afford and what is best for your pup. I have seen many dogs who have thrived on this food, and I see no reason to make wonderful pet owners feel guilty about feeding this food. :(

I sooooooooooo agree with you. Thank you, Clara, for your level head.

Toby's Mommy
12-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Boo Boo gets Alpo:)

Stenograsaurus
12-22-2003, 09:29 AM
I'll just answer the original question here.

Nutro Large Breed Adult Weight Management. It's the cheapest premium I could find. My dogs love it!! I like the fact that it has chondotrin and glucosamine in it to help with their joints.