PDA

View Full Version : tactful way to handle a problem before I lose my temper

Adge Gibbs
12-17-2003, 11:19 AM
We have a dog at the park who insists on jumping on people and when it's as muddy as it has been with the weather we've had here, having a dog ruin your clothes everyday is getting a little frustrating.

I have said something to the owner a few times, but he doesn't seem to care and doesn't seem to want to train his dog. Yesterday I got covered in mud because his dog jumped up on me from behind.

I'm ready to kick the crap out him for not teaching his dog not to do this and my diplomatic skills are deteriorating everytime I have to clean my coat or pants when I get home from the park. I want his dog off of me and I don't ever want to hit a dog, but neither of them seem to be understanding just how unwelcome this behavior is.

The dog doesn't even want to play. It just jumps up, gets you dirty and then runs off to play with the other dogs. I'm ready to bring a supersoaker to the park and shoot him AND his dog everytime his dog does this. The owner is kind of a rockhead and I'm trying not to lose my temper with either of them.

It's not working.

wolfsoul
12-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Hm, it sounds like the owner is a real pain. I would be stuck in the same position as you; I don't like to be rude. But if it's happened more than once, I think that gives you good reason to be.

Good luck!

trayi52
12-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Ummm, maybe it is time for the old knee in the chest routine? If he isn't going to teach his dog, then you may have to do that or step on its toes, or better yet knee in owner chest, or step on his toes. Just a thought.;)

K9soul
12-17-2003, 04:38 PM
I'd have to say since the owner obviously doesn't care that you will have to try yourself to teach the dog some manners. If the owner doesn't like it then too bad really. You don't have a whole lot of options available to you and unfortunately it's really an awkward and frustrating situation for you. :(

I've read a few different methods of dealing with problem jumpers. The knee to the chest, painless but startling to the dog. Another I had heard was when the dog jumps up to hold its paws and keep holding them, the dog doesn't like that and begins to associate jumping up with getting "stuck," but you'd want to be sure the dog wasn't aggressive in any way for that... Maybe something that makes a loud, unpleasant/startling noise when he jumps on you or even a little squirt gun. Whatever you do I'd punctuate with the firmly spoken verbal command of "OFF."

Shelteez2
12-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Maybe you could carry some really smelly treats with you. The first few times the dog runs up to you try and put your hand (with the smelly treat) down in front of it's nose before it starts to jump. Make it sit then give it the treat. Once it knows you have a treat you can just throw it to the ground when it gets close so as to divert its attention.

rotten_two
12-19-2003, 09:28 AM
can you go to the park at a different time, when the level of ignorance is least? the concept of a dog park and the value of such socialization, in theory, is a great one. however, what i have found is that the people who take their dogs to these parks aren't always the brightest berries on the bush! for this reason i do not go. my dogs have specific playdates where they are supervised by me and the other dog owner for socialization and exercise. i think dog parks can actually do more harm than good. i can control my dogs very well, but i cannot expect to control others. every little thing influences them -- good dogs, bad dogs, good owners, bad owners. unfortunately you are not gonna change the behavior of the not so smart owners. however if you continue to get stressed and upset with "jumpy" your dog can pick up on those vibes and eventually could become stressed, aggressive, etc at the dog park. i would seriously think about adjusting my time at the park.

Tonya
12-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Dusty was a problem jumper for the longest time. It was so embarrassing for me. I couldn't take him anywhere. What eventually worked is I put my hand out palm down so that if he jumps, his face will jump into my hand. (Like he's slapping his own self. LOL) It finally worked, thank Gosh! Occasionally, he'll get all excited again and I'll have to put my hand out.

tomkatzid
12-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Maybe you could carry some really smelly treats with you. The first few times the dog runs up to you try and put your hand (with the smelly treat) down in front of it's nose before it starts to jump. Make it sit then give it the treat. Once it knows you have a treat you can just throw it to the ground when it gets close so as to divert its attention.

GREAT IDEA ;)

Rio and Me
12-21-2003, 03:13 AM
Tonya thats what I do, my family (relitives) have very jumpy dogs
(it's so anoying). I aim for the nose, so they hit their nose on my hand, it works
Ky and Rio

PUPGIRL
12-23-2003, 03:54 PM
You should really speak up, it isn't fair! He should at least aplogize or correct this dog's behavior, what he is doing is rude and untolerable! Good luck with it!

oodlesofpoodles
12-23-2003, 05:31 PM
We dont have dog parks here in Columbus and we have a leash law if we are in the Public park all dogs are to be on leash, but there is always someone who ruins it for us. Like the other day this man did not have his dog on a leash and it ran up and jumped on an elderly man causing him to fall and break his arm. I would be rude to this person, because very soon if the dog keeps jumping on people some one is going to get hurt. and even though the dog is friendly a fall could injure someone badlly. Is there someone with authority that you could tell. I hope that there is someone to help you out. Good luck

pitc9
12-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Sure sounds like everyone has given you wonderful ideas!! I like the hand the best. My sister has a husky that is a jumper :rolleyes:

I feel bad for you, your trying to have fun with your dog, and the entire time your there, you have to watch out for this dog! I think the owner could use a hand to the face!!!;)

pit chic
12-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Is this really a dog park or just a public park? If there are leash laws in this particular area and he still lets his dog run off leash then you can tell him to get control of his dog before you call the proper authorities. Have a cell phone handy with animal control and your local PD's phone numbers on speed dial. Let him know you mean business. Just because people let their dogs run off leash doesn't mean they can. I like your super soaker idea, I would use that one if I were you. Load it with something stinky or sticky. If the owner has a problem with it, squirt him too. You've tried being nice, now it's time to get nasty before something bad happens and this dog has to lose his life because his owner is an idiot.

I used to take my dogs to a park that requires dogs to be on a leash (signs were posted) but people still let their dogs off leash anyway. This one Lab comes running up to my dogs, who were on leash, as his owner is walking several yards away getting even further from her dog. So she starts calling to the dog who is progressively harassing my dogs (they usually like other dogs). I yell at her to come get her dog. She continues to call to him as my dogs are getting further agitated. Again I yelled at her to come get her dog. She takes her sweet time walking over still calling to the dog who is not listening. Finally she gets to us and calls to the dog instead of grabbing him. I told her she needed to get her dog on a leash and that there is a leash law. She still tries to get her dog to come to her by calling it. She points out the fact that everyone elses dogs are off leash and I point out the fact that my dogs are Pit Bulls and if her dog pisses them off or starts a fight with them that her dog could lose and me and my dogs would get the blame. So she gets her dog and tells me I need to be on a leash. I had to hold my boyfriend back from kicking her in the a$$ for that remark.
Point of the story; it could have turned into a disaster that could have lead to some lost lives because of a careless owner. This guy's dog is going to run up to the wrong person and/or their dogs one day and some lives could be damaged if not lost.

kittenwhiskerz
12-25-2003, 03:46 PM
A problem for sure! What is happening to you is why I would never use a dog park. There has to be a better way.
Please don't use aggressive tactics. All that may bring you is a lawsuit. You sure don't need that.
Kittenwhisker from California

Vi Co Bi
12-29-2003, 01:21 PM
I used to know a Mail Carrier who carried an airhorn in his bag to fend off dogs - he used to tell me that sometimes by the time you know whether or not the dog's aggressive, it's too late. It's loud and everyone will turn to look, but it may startle the dog enough to stop him. This person had tried a "dog whistle" (the silent kind people can't hear), but didn't find that much help. All the dogs will hear it and none of the people will, but it might be enough to startle him and make him stop long enough for you to get away. Some Mail Carriers carry pepper spray with them to fend off attacking dogs. This is extreme, but if nothing else works it might be worth considering - it's extremely uncomfortable, but it isn't particularly harmful. My Mail Carrier friend was very anti pepper spray (not because of dogs - he always had a fear of getting it on his hands and forgetting, then rubbing his eyes) - that's why he carried an airhorn.

There's a training product called "NoGo" that supposed to keep dogs from using your yard as their potty. If you can stand the smell of that (it's pretty noxious from a people standpoint), spraying that on a rag and waving it in front of the dog might slow him down. It probably wouldn't be effective when getting jumped on from behind.

Perhaps you could consider talking to some of the other visitors since you're not alone when it comes to this unwanted attention. I've wondered how situations like this are handled at dog parks; there's one being added to our community. We're anxiously awaiting the opening but I worry about situations like this.

Kfamr
12-29-2003, 02:18 PM
This is a very hard situation because the dog may not listen to you or other people because you're not it's owner.

I would talk to the owners about it nicely. Explain the situation and how the dogs been jumping and it's something that needs to be corrected.

petlover
12-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Obviously the owner doesn't care about the behavior of his dog, and what might happen if he doesn't teach it some manners. Have you ever been to his house covered in mud? Maybe he just things that the dog is only getting a little bit on you. Like it is nothing that is noticeable.:confused:
Perhaps you could get a local animal shelter agent to go to his house and talk to him about maybe taking his dog to obedience classes, or if he can't teach his dog some manners, then to keep it in HIS OWN YARD.

Hope this helps.:D Keep trying, you will find something out.;)

Adge Gibbs
01-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Sorry for the long delay in getting back to all of you. There was a death in my family and I've been doing what I can to help out.

As far as the issue with the clown at the park, it's just a regular park that dog owners congregate in. Calling the authorities wouldn't do anything but get the rest of us in trouble as well. The situation resolved itself because his dog jumped on me and Seven didn't like it and growled at him and ran towards me. His dog backed off and hid behind the guy and when he said something to me about getting MY dog under control, I lost my cool and completely flipped out on him. I'm not a small guy and I think I really scared him because no one at the park has seen him since.

I don't like getting mad or losing my temper, but people CONSTANTLY ask me to help them train their dogs because Sev is so well trained and behaved so when this goofball said something about my dog's behavior, it really really hit a nerve.

Peace has been restored at the park but if I ever run into a situation like this one again, I will certainly use some of the wonderful suggestions posted here.

Thank all of you.

Karen
01-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear about the death in the family, but I am glad to hear the park problem has settled down.

Seven is a stunningly lovely dog, so I am sure that, coupled with his good behavior, attracts a lot of attention! :)

Adge Gibbs
01-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Thank you, Karen. It's been a little rough lately because I'm the one everyone turns to when things are bad, but I'm feeling pretty wiped out myself and am kind of going through the funeral arrangements and the emotions all by myself.

Thank you for the compliment as far as Seven goes. He's a good egg and has been the only thing that has been making me smile the last week or so. He can be goofy when he wants to be so I think he knows I needed cheering up.