PDA

View Full Version : I don't know who to feel more sorry for...

wolf_Q
12-17-2003, 01:27 AM
...Smokey, or my mother. :( He's had to be in diapers for at least a year now, as he just walks around the house and lifts his leg all over. I know he can't hold it, and I honestly don't think he even realizes what he's doing. He's pretty much blind and deaf. He dearly needs a haircut and a bath, but I value my fingers and it stresses him out waaay too much. The few months he's began to poop in the house also. Earlier tonight I was sitting on steps clipping Reggie's nails, and I look over and Smokeys just squatting there right in the kitchen. He does his job then keeps walking, like nothing happened. Apparently he did the same thing the past few mornings in a row.

Smokey is 17 years old, he'll be 18 in February. He's always been my mom's baby...Smokey really doesn't care for the rest of us, he just wants to be near his mommy. Even now that he can hardly see or hear, he's her faithful companion, wandering around the house looking for her.

I know she loves him, we all love him, but I just don't know how much more she can take. And honestly, does he really have any quality of life?

It's just so sad to watch. :( He's not really Smokey, he hasn't been in a very long time. I'm sorry for rambling on, it's just something I had to say. I don't know when his time will come, but I wanted to let you know that there was a reason I haven't posted about him much.

shais_mom
12-17-2003, 06:26 AM
Oh, Amy. How sad.
I will be keeping you, your sweet mom, and Smokey in my thoughts and prayers.

delidog
12-17-2003, 06:28 AM
Oh Poor Baby,
And of course I feel for you and your family...
This is Such a difficult time for you all....
Smokey is in our Prayers

stacwase
12-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Smokey sounds like a lot of my senile human patients. They do their duty wherever the urge happens to strike them, too! Most of their care consists of changing their diapers and cleaning up after them.

They don't know, though. They're not miserable. They're just not in the here and now. Who knows what's going on in their minds, but they don't seem to be unhappy.

Maybe it's the same for Smokey. He could be spending his life reliving memories of his younger days.

Bless your mother's heart for all the care she's giving to him.

Pam
12-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Amy, tears are welling up right now. I can relate so well to what you and your family and Smokey are going through. My little toy poodle, Pumpkin, lived to be 17. He was just as Smokey is now - couldn't hear, almost blind and going potty in the house constantly. One morning I told my hubby I was ready to help him go to the RB and so we let him go. :( :( It was horrible to say goodbye to my sweet little companion. Though he loved everyone, he was my tiny little sidekick especially, and I think I felt his passing the most. My heart is breaking for your mom especially, watching her little buddy go downhill like this. (((Hugs))) to you all, and here are some special (((hugs))) especially from me to you Smokey.

micki76
12-18-2003, 11:48 AM
I know how difficult it can be having a senior dog, so you certainly have my sympathies.

There’s a disease that older dogs get that’s much like Alzheimers called cognitive dysfunction syndrome. Perhaps Smokey has this syndrome? I know Aneko does. She is starting her meds Saturday.

Here’s an excellent article on it:

http://www.post-gazette.com/healthscience/19990105dog1.asp

Aneko has every symptom, but dogs can display one symptom and still be helped by the meds. I’d definitely encourage your mom to ask your vet about trying it for a while just to see if it helps Smokey. You never know.

lovemyshiba
12-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Amy,
I'm so sorry to hear about sweet old Smokey.
I hope he isn't in any pain.

Maybe your vet can help him out a little.

In the meantime, Smokey and your mom will be in my prayers.

robinh
12-18-2003, 12:18 PM
My heart breaks for you, your Mom and for Smokey. Might be worth checking into the info Micki has, maybe it would help him. Such a sweet baby!

We just lost Peach in March and she was having so much trouble toward the end, it was just so sad. Truth is I think we suffered more that she did.

ramanth
12-19-2003, 10:39 AM
:( I'm so sorry to hear that Amy. Thoughts and prayers for your mom and Smokey. It's never easy to make THAT decision.

lizbud
12-19-2003, 06:54 PM
Poor Smokey. It must be so hard for your mom & you to see
him showing the signs of old age.:( I once read an essay called
"How do you know when it's time". I think it covers the topic of
aging & illness in pets very well. You might suggest it to your mom. It's a very difficult but necessary topic for all pet lovers to
think about. Gentle hugs to Smokey.

http://www.specialneedspets.org/euthanasia.htm

dukedogsmom
01-10-2004, 10:53 PM
This is so sad. I know it must be really hard for your mom. As much as I love Duke, I couldn't bear to see him like that. So if it ever comes to that, I will take him to vet to go to rb. That's the most love you can show them. Poor dog and mom.