PDA

View Full Version : I rehomed Teddy.

Tonya
12-16-2003, 09:43 PM
It is very hard for me to talk about right now. I don't want to hear negative opinions, but just want you all to know that I rehomed Teddy.

He will now be in a home with a boxer, small poodle mix, and a 10 year old boy. It is a friend of ours that has always been totally in love with Teddy, so we'll still be seeing him and getting pictures. Our friend's wife does not work, so he'll be getting the attention that he deserves. He will also be neutered.

I have been thinking about this for a while, but didn't want to bring it up. I wanted this to be strictly my decision. I didn't want anyone to sway me.

I couldn't stand the fact that we constantly had to pen him. I hated the idea that he had to be caged all day long when we were at work. I feared for his life because he was always getting loose.

I felt bad for my cats because he was always tormenting them. My cats never dashed or wanted to go outdoors until I got Teddy.

I was so sick of arguing with Mike about neutering him. Because he was unneutered, he had so many bad habits.

The final straw was the fact that his wife had her babies this weekend while I was in Vegas. She had a cream and a sable. One died at birth, the other a day later.

Ted was my first unneutered pet, my first small dog, and my first purebred. I thought that I knew what I was getting myself into. Obviously not. I feel horrible about it and I will miss him like crazy. But I don't feel that I can provide a good home to a small dog. There were probably alot of things that we could have done differently; but with the situation I was in now, this was the best decision.

micki76
12-16-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm so sorry, Tonya. Hopefully things will work out good for Teddy.

Cincy'sMom
12-16-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry you had to rehome Teddy, but it sounds like you put a lot of thought into it, found him a great new home, and did what was best for everyone.

I hope Teddy enjoys his new home and that you will keep us updated on how he is doing.

countrycowgirl
12-16-2003, 09:51 PM
i am sorry you had to rehome teddy but it sounds like you made the right desicien

FurMomx6
12-16-2003, 09:53 PM
So sorry you had to re-home Teddy. It sounds like he will have a good home though. I know how you feel because we might have to re-home our cat, KC, because she keeps trying to attack Opie. We know a friend who will give her a good home, though, so it should work out. Hopefully Teddy likes his new home and that's good that you will still be able to see him.

aly
12-16-2003, 10:33 PM
No one can fault you for rehoming Teddy if it was in his best interest.

Can you convince the new owners to get him neutered? :)

FurMomx6
12-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
He will also be neutered.

She said they're going to neuter him. :)

Tonya
12-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Thank you, everyone for your support. I was scared to bring it up because I feel horrible that I couldn't make Ted work.

Yes, Aly they are neutering Ted.

Mike just gave me a heart attack right now. He said "After awile, let's get an older spayed female pomeranian, maybe that'll be easier." I said "No way in hell." Yes, perhaps Teddy being an unneutered male had alot to do with it, but I don't want to chance falling in love with another dog that won't work out. I am not sure if it was Ted's personality, or the small dog/unneutered factor but regardless, I'll just count my blessings and stick with big dogs. I've always had luck with larger dogs.

Tonya
12-16-2003, 11:39 PM
Between vet expenses, the cost of Teddy, and his misc supplies (crate, pen, toys, beds, etc...) we'd had quite a bit of money in him. We'd discussed selling him to a friend of ours to recoup some of the money. Giving Ted to a stranger was out of the question. We surely had to have him with someone that we knew.

The particular friend that we gave Ted to didn't have the money to buy Teddy, but we decided that he would provide the best home for Teddy which is priceless. He was so excited about us giving him Teddy. He'd always told us that he was going to steal him from us one day. :p

cloverfdx
12-16-2003, 11:50 PM
I am sorry you had to re-home lil teddy but it sounds like he has gone to a great home and will be well cared for.

Please keep us updated as to how he settles in and with pics when you can.

dont worry Tonya you did what was right for the dog :)

CathyBogart
12-17-2003, 12:54 AM
Don't feel bad Tonya, you did the right thing for him. Sometimes no amount of research can prepare you for what you get. We had to re-home our cocker spaniel, Dusty, because our home was just too boisterous for a cantankerous aging puppy, and he started to nip at people. He is very happy in his new home, and Teddy will be too!

trayi52
12-17-2003, 02:03 AM
I know you did the right thing, Tonya. I think it was really good that you found a home where he would be loved and taken care of. There is a lot of people in that situation that would have chose to sell the dog to get the money, but you thought this out, and took your time with your decision, and you done the right thing.

You can keep us updated on him anyway, thats the good thing about him going to a friend. You have visitation rights. :) ;)

pitc9
12-17-2003, 05:50 AM
Tonya, you did what was right for you and Teddy!

I'm sure you'll keep us posted about him!

shais_mom
12-17-2003, 06:24 AM
I am sorry for your heartache, but commend your decision. It sounds like the best for all involved.
{{hugs to you}}

stacwase
12-17-2003, 06:47 AM
I feel for you. The guilt associated with rehoming a pet is just awful, isn't it? Even if you know you're doing the right thing, it's hard. We just rehomed Katie (our little kittie) and although I know it was the very best thing, and I'm happy in a way, I also feel just terrible about it.

Teddy has a good home with somebody who is thrilled to have him. If he's happy, then you did the right thing!

I know what you mean about small dogs - it's really hard to take care of them, I think. We used to have a little terrier and it was just so hard to keep her in the fence when we took her out to potty. She'd dig and find every possible escape route. It was so awful when she got out again one day and was hit by a car. So when you say you feared for his life, I believe you!

Congratulations on finding a good home for Teddy. I'm sure you'll be able to keep in touch with him.

primabella
12-17-2003, 07:04 AM
Tonya I think you made the right decision for yourself but most importantly for Teddy. Looking forward to updates on him. :) I hope everything works out with his new family.

Dogz
12-17-2003, 07:51 AM
I am sorry things did work out Tonya. You made the right decision. Hopefully everything works out in his new home, I can't wait for an update and pictures!

wolfsoul
12-17-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm sorry things didn't work out. You did the right thing. I know I wouldn't be brave enough to do it, and would probably hang on to him and make life miserable for the both of us. I bet your friend will take good care of him. :)

Linda York
12-17-2003, 10:30 AM
orginally quoted by:
____Dogz
"I am sorry things did work out Tonya. You made the right decision. Hopefully everything works out in
his new home, I can't wait for an update and pictures"!

____primabella
"Tonya I think you made the right decision for yourself but most importantly for Teddy. Looking forward to updates on him. I hope everything works out with his new family".

I totally agree. Your decison was a hard one but the right one. Find comfort in that. Waiting to hear updates on Teddy, I hope that he will LOVE his new home and settle right in.
I pray the same will happen for Dukesmom's CHANCE.
:(

Smilla
12-17-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm going to sound like an echo, but I think you did well by Teddy. You really gave a lot of thought to his well-being and happiness.

As much as I love Lefty, I can see where he wouldn't fit in certain types of homes. For starters, he doesn't like cats, and his former owners had two of them. They had to construct all kinds of barriers to keep them separated. Secondly, there's the slight aggression issue, and they were about to have a baby. In my most loving moments with Lefty, it's easy for me to think that they were nuts to give him up, but I can see where it worked out better for them AND Lefty!

K9soul
12-17-2003, 10:51 AM
I agree with everyone else's sentiments, and I think it will be really good for you and your home to have some of that constant tension taken away. Not every animal will fit in with every family or home. There is nothing wrong with rehoming a pet when it really needs to be done, as long as it is done responsibly and with compassion, the way you obviously did.

I have always had large dogs as well, and in my experience they tend to be more laid back and easygoing, at least once they are adults. Not to say they aren't ever boisterous or get into things :p. I have nothing against smaller dogs by any means, I love them all, but like you I'm more accustomed to the big dogs and they are the ones that most attract me.

Don't feel guilty, you did the right thing for all involved :)

Tonya
12-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Thank you so much everyone.

Mike talked to Pat (Teddy's new dad) today. Pat ranted and raved about how Ted was so good in the car all the way home. He said his wife took Teddy everywhere shopping today and he was a good boy. I guess Teddy doesn't seem scared or homesick at all. He gets along great with the dogs. He was playing with them quite a bit, and they are gentle with him. Pat laughed and said that Teddy does think he is a big dog...he kept stealing the Boxer's bones and bed. Luckily, the Boxer is willing to share.

Dogz
12-17-2003, 06:06 PM
That's great new that Teddy is having fun and doing well in his new home!:)

trayi52
12-17-2003, 07:10 PM
And you were worried Tonya, we told you everything would be okay. LOL. You knew he would be okay or you wouldn't have let him go. :)

Tray

dukedogsmom
12-17-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm so happy he's doing well. I know how you feel with all the worrying. Although Chance hasn't been at my home, he's been in my heart all these months and I've been worried sick about him. I'm hoping his story turns out as well.

mugsy
12-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Trust me. I know exactly how you feel....it is a horrible decision to have to make. I'm glad he's in a good home with people there all day and a little boy to play with. I'm sure he'll be happy. I'm sorry you had to make the decision.