PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle the 'playing deaf' game?

K9soul
12-16-2003, 04:00 PM
The majority of the time, my two pups are very attentive and obedient, but there are times, and they seem to be little geniuses in figuring out the perfect times, that they decide to play deaf. For example.. I let the dogs out back today after I had gotten out of the shower. It was very cold and snow all over the ground. They did their thing, and then Tommy came in, but Tasha just stood there. I called her. She didn't even bat an eyebrow. She mimicked deafness to perfection, completely ignoring a couple more calls.

Of course meanwhile I'm barefoot, with wet hair, and not at all prepared to come out after her. I swear she knew this.

Exasperated and feeling outwitted, I slid the door shut and went to clean up the kitchen. In a few minutes she was sitting by the sliding glass door, head cocked, wanting to come in. I let her sit out there for awhile. She looked pretty worried after a couple minutes. When I let her in, she was pretty obviously relieved to be let in. I question whether any connection was made there at all though.

Tommy is not innocent either. This past summer, when I let him out in the daytime and called him back he was great about responding. But low and behold when it got dark, it is like he KNEW I could not see him once he got beyond the porch light's range and call as I might, no dog came until he decided to playfully romp up to me, pleased as can be. A couple of times I was out looking for him with my flashlight till I just decided to put him out on a tie-out at night.

It's difficult to curb these playing deaf episodes because they are literally brilliant in their timing, knowing it will be particularly difficult for me to go get them. It's tough to decide how to handle the situations because I certainly don't want to make the game more fun for them. :rolleyes:

Crikit
12-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Okay well I'm not a pro or anything but your probelm could be that you've sort of taught them that if they don't come you'll go out and get them. In other words they aren't playing deaf they're giving you the doggie dew claw knowing very well that you'll eventually come out and get them.

Here's what I would do if I were in your position, if I let them out and then called them and they didn't come right away when called I would leave them out there until they knew that you were playing their came anymore. Also if you use a recall word and they don't come when that word is used and you have to go and get them you've showed them that word has no meaning so you might want to switch the recall word and ONLY use it when you know that they will come.

Another thing to try and this is going to sound really dumb but it works honest it does, we use it all the time in agility, is to call the dog and then rather then approach them and keep calling them, call them and then turn and run. Most dogs will give chase because it's their nature so to speak. Think of it as a game, you call them, run and if they chase you and catch you they get praise and or treats.

That's all I can think of, but like I said I'm not a pro.

stacwase
12-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Dogs have unbelievable senses of timing, don't they?!

Every single time that Max has ever gotten out, it has been cold and dark and rainy outside. Every time I've had to go searching for him, my teeth have been chattering and I've had a hard time seeing through the wet windows.

It's gotten to the point that every rainy night I'm extra careful not to let him bolt. The little farts.

K9soul
12-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Here's what I would do if I were in your position, if I let them out and then called them and they didn't come right away when called I would leave them out there until they knew that you were playing their came anymore.

Actually that is what I recently started doing more, like yesterday with Tasha. I called and when she didn't come, I just shut the door and started doing my own thing. After a couple minutes she came up and looked in the door wanting to come in, but I let her sit out there a few more minutes. I just hope after a few times they make the connection. :P

Their timing is flawless though, they seem to know just when they have the advantage to push the line.

Most the time they're really good about listening. I just don't want to do anything that actually reinforces the behavior, like Crikit was talking about. In my experience dogs are notorious for making a game out of things like this.

binka_nugget
12-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Ohhh I know how you feel! When Kai was a pup, I knew he was bright but he'd ignore me when I said "in". I'd offer treats to come in but then I didn't want a dog that was totally dependant on treats so I just showed him that if he didn't come in, it'd be his problem, not mine. I did what you did..and soon enough, he started responding. As for the playing deaf thing in general, when you train, how many times will you allow yourself to repeat the command? I used to find myself saying it two or three times but now, I say it once and enforce it if he doesn't respond the first time. It certainly has made a HUGE difference in Kai.

K9soul
12-18-2003, 04:23 PM
As for the playing deaf thing in general, when you train, how many times will you allow yourself to repeat the command?

I do try to stick to one time only but I know I am guilty sometimes of repeating it once or twice.

When I had my first dogs years ago, I read the training manual How to be your Dog's Best Friend by the Monks of New Skeet. It has always been my favorite training manual because it uses natural methods that a dog can understand, using wolf pack behavior as a reference in teaching. The authors were very strong with the emphasis of giving a command once and once only. I think I will be more careful to make sure I am following that guideline.

As for the book, I still believe it is an excellent one, dealing with many different problem behaviors and dispelling a lot of old myths about dog training. :)