PDA

View Full Version : Question about selling a house

micki76
12-16-2003, 01:20 PM
My Dad’s neighbor has given my sister and me a great offer on my dad’s house. We don’t know anything about selling a house and we were going to use a realtor in the summer when we were ready (after her house is built), but the man’s offer is too good to pass up. My question is this, do we need to use a realtor or just go to an attorney for the contracts? Does anyone know?

We don’t want to be liable for anything since the house is old, but we don’t really want to use a realtor for the legalities since we already have a buyer.

2kitties
12-16-2003, 01:29 PM
Absolutely not. You can do it yourself no problem. I worked in Real Estate for years and I think a realtor is imperitive in the marketing of a home. But, you've already got a buyer so there is no need for marketing and negotiating.

Go here: FISBO (http://www.fisbo.com). This is the best site you will find for what you need. You can download all the paperwork necessary and get tons of info.

Logan
12-16-2003, 02:25 PM
The main thing as a seller that you want to conclude is that you are getting a fair price. I would seek some legal advice for the paperwork, just to make sure that you have an enforceable sales agreement! Good luck!

Logan

micki76
12-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks 2K! :D I'll check out the site.

Logan - I know the price is fair. If anything he's paying too much, but I want to make sue that it's stated that the house is as is and that we do everything right.

catland
12-16-2003, 02:45 PM
From what I remember of the house-buying experience.

You need a contract that both parties agree to. The critical thing is to list deadlines. For example, someone might want to say "contract is null and void if buyer's mother doesn't like the house." - you need to make sure the contract says "contract is null and void if buyer's mother doesn't like the house. Said mother will make this decision by December 18th, 2003."

Also, if in doubt on what are built-in's that stay with the house vs. what is taken out - get it in writing. Don't make any verbal agreements on anything, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

I'm not sure, but I believe its the buyer's responsibilty to get the home inspected and to get their financing arranged by a specific time.

Finally, read up on it, either on the internet or go to the library or book store. I know I always feel better about something once I've educated myself on the topic.

Gook luck:)

2kitties
12-16-2003, 02:53 PM
All the legal contracts are on the webite I posted. As well as answers to any question you can think of for a fisbo.