PDA

View Full Version : does pet lover = vegetarian??

bizdevguy
12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
I am just curious here...those who are regular, everyday contributors to these forums....are you vegetarians? Cuz it's obvious you have a deep love and appreciation for animals.

There is ABSOLUTELY no pretense to my question. I am simply wondering....

2kitties
12-16-2003, 11:58 AM
not for me. I am in favor of the food chain.:)

petlover
12-16-2003, 12:12 PM
I was a vegetarian for a LONG time.

It was when I was starting to show livestock. I would go to the shows, and watch as each swine,steer,heifer,lamb, goat,etc. would be auctioned off. I cry at every sale even knowing I can choose to keep my lamb... ( Which I always do.;) )

Kater
12-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Yes, I am a vegetarian, more specifically a vegan. I've made this choice for the animals, the environment and my health.

RICHARD
12-16-2003, 12:47 PM
I haven't eaten any of my pets yet, but I do like meat.

So I guess that make me a Vegan as far as my cat is concerned.:confused:

Logan
12-16-2003, 01:20 PM
To answer your question, No, it doesn't............. :o

I have cats, dogs and Cockatiels........I have never eaten any of them. I do eat other types of meat, including fish, shellfish, steak and chicken. Sometimes pork too.

popcornbird
12-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Nope, pet lover does NOT = vegetarian in most cases. While there are several vegetarians here, I believe the majority of us eat meat. I for one believe in the food chain, so yes, I do eat meats such as chicken, sheep, goat, beef, fish, etc. No way would I eat pets though! :D :p LOL

2kitties
12-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

wipes laughter spittle off monitor
You just never know what to expect with this guy. But you know it'll be good!

andrea_NMAggie
12-16-2003, 01:38 PM
i don't eat a lot of meat...not because i'm a pet lover, but because i'm not the most accomplished cook. if if anyone else is cooking, or i'm going out to eat, count me in for a nice steak!

Kfamr
12-16-2003, 01:40 PM
No.

bizdevguy
12-16-2003, 01:41 PM
You know I wasn't talking about eating pets. :)

I simply wanted to know if people's love for animals (i.e., their pets) extended to include cow, etc. I myself try repeatedly to go veggie, but it's hard for me...I always cave...but it doesn't mean I don't love dogs!!!

CountryWolf07
12-16-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm not a vegetarian. :)

lynnestankard
12-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Don't worry bizdevguy - I think some 'peeps' were pulling your leg a little!!

The answer - no I'm not a vegetarian - but I eat very little meat - mostly happy with a 'veggie' choice - and whenever I fly I always ask for the vegetarian dish. I reckon I don't particularly like the taste of meat.

Lynne

Logan
12-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by bizdevguy
You know I wasn't talking about eating pets. :)

I simply wanted to know if people's love for animals (i.e., their pets) extended to include cow, etc. I myself try repeatedly to go veggie, but it's hard for me...I always cave...but it doesn't mean I don't love dogs!!!

I think we all knew that, but we were just being extra cautious as somtimes things get misinterpreted around here!!! Please don't be offended by our remarks in response to your question.

wolfsoul
12-16-2003, 02:43 PM
No, I'm not a vegetarian. I could never live without my meat!

Felicia's Mom
12-16-2003, 03:09 PM
No, I am not a vegetarian. I don't eat a lot of meat but this is due to the cost.

Amber
12-16-2003, 03:23 PM
no not me.

petlover
12-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Nope, pet lover does NOT = vegetarian in most cases. While there are several vegetarians here, I believe the majority of us eat meat. I for one believe in the food chain, so yes, I do eat meats such as chicken, sheep, goat, beef, fish, etc. No way would I eat pets though! :D :p LOL

Well, sheep, chickens, and goats are A LOT of times pets other than market. For example...

Fleece ( my lamb) is my pet and my 4-H project. ( Which means that I raise her for show. I don't even qualify her as a market animal. She is %100 pet.:)

petlover
12-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

Well, no. I have an aunt that studies this stuff. A vegaterian is a person that doesn't eat MEAT. Only meat. A vegan is someone that doesn't eat meat or anything animal related. ( Such as eggs,cheese,milk etc.:) )

wolfsoul
12-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Richard was just joking lol. ;)

petlover
12-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Whoops.:o As far as your cat is concerned....:rolleyes:

Yes.:) ( I suppose;) )

Kater
12-16-2003, 03:43 PM
I've loved many animals for their character and intelligence. They express affection, have moods, and feel pain just as humans do. This is true of all animals, including the ones that we don't see everyday or have as pets. It is true of those that live in utter misery on factory farms, or those tortured in labs. Society makes these lives invisible so people don't have to think or take responsibility for their actions. But I do not wish to ignore these lives. I believe that each of their lives is as valuable as any human life.

I am vegan because my pain is no greater than their pain. I suffer the same as a dairy cow, the same as a lab rat. I am vegan because I can see the unnecessary suffering in a shampoo bottle and the loneliness in zoos. I am vegan for every animal whose pain was silenced or brushed aside. I am vegan because I feel that caring about something is more important than convenience, because my pain is no greater than theirs, and I can see this.

I think that people are intricately connected to all other beings and that any perceived separation or superiority is our own creation. I believe in animal rights because I've never been able to look into an animal's eyes and see a soul worthy of death and suffering.

If you are interested in making the switch to vegetarianism I would be happy to offer my assistance. Feel free to PM me, bizdevguy.

Soledad
12-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Pet lover does not = vegetarian

BUT

This question = flamewar in PetTalk

primabella
12-16-2003, 03:48 PM
No it does not apply to every animal lover, or pet lover for that matter. I'm not a fan of eating meat (lol how could I have put it better?) but I would never just *stop* eating it.

Dogz
12-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Your question- No. Pet Lover does NOT= vegetarian.

I am not a vegetarian, I love my pets, and I do not eat my pets.

popcornbird
12-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by petlover
Well, sheep, chickens, and goats are A LOT of times pets other than market. For example...

Fleece ( my lamb) is my pet and my 4-H project. ( Which means that I raise her for show. I don't even qualify her as a market animal. She is %100 pet.:)

I didn't mean that! I meant that if an animal *IS* a pet, I wouldn't eat it. Like for example, I eat sheep, but I would never eat a sheep kept as a pet! While I LOVE sheep, goats, etc, and would love to have one as a pet someday, I still eat them. I wouldn't eat an animal that is kept as a pet though, meaning, that animal in particular.........not necessarily the species. But I was saying that just as a joke. ;)

Dogz
12-16-2003, 06:10 PM
I didn't mean that! I meant that if an animal *IS* a pet, I wouldn't eat it. Like for example, I eat sheep, but I would never eat a sheep kept as a pet! While I LOVE sheep, goats, etc, and would love to have one as a pet someday, I still eat them. I wouldn't eat an animal that is kept as a pet though, meaning, that animal in particular.........not necessarily the species. But I was saying that just as a joke. ;)

Exactly what I mean.:)

petlover
12-16-2003, 07:54 PM

Oh, I didn't mean to throw it at you like that.:o That is just me. I'm sorry. But, I am very glad that you wouldn't eat a pet sheep or goat.:)

magcpen
12-16-2003, 08:34 PM
I am a vegetarian, except for chicken soup with as much of the chicken as possible removed, and beef and broccoli (sp?), eating around the beef, and it's been years since I ate baloney, so yes, I am a vegetarian. :)

GoldenRetrLuver
12-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Nope, I'm not a vegitarian *YET*. I've really been considering it though. :)

trayi52
12-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Okay, I will put it like this, I have had all kind of pets in my lifetime, baby pigs, calves, chickens, ducks, goats, and of course the usual cat, dog, bird, ferret, I just have all different kinds of pets.

I love meat, steaks, chicken, pork, some fish, shrimp. But I never did eat one that was my pet. My rule if I have met it, I won't eat it. LOL. I am far, far from being a vegetarian.

I love animals, (that sounds like I just want to sit around and eat all the animals, doesn't it?) sorry about that. I have a great respect for all animals.

Well thats enough from me...:)

micki76
12-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
My rule if I have met it, I won't eat it. LOL. I am far, far from being a vegetarian.

Now that's a rule to live by! :) I like that one. :D

I actuallyhave a condition that limits my intake of vegetables and fiber, so I eat an unusually large amount of meat. Were it not for the carbs in bread and pasta, I'd probably give adkins or southbeach a try, but some things are just not worth giving up for me personally.

Twisterdog
12-16-2003, 11:04 PM
No, I am not a vegetarian.

Although .. I'd probably be thinner if I were! ;)

CathyBogart
12-17-2003, 12:34 AM
I love meat...I love animals. I've had pet chickens, sheep, cattle, turkeys, rabbits...but I still ike to eat these types of animals. (Not the ones that were my pets of course)

Tonya
12-17-2003, 12:38 AM
No, I am not a vegetarian, but I cannot look into the eyes of my meal. For instance, my family cooks alot of Filipino food like freakin pigs and fish with the heads still on them. Can't do it! Nor can I know the animal personally that I am eating.