PDA

View Full Version : this is neat!!

shais_mom
12-16-2003, 06:58 AM
This is a kind neat site.
I wonder if Kate will correct us if needed?? ;)

http://www.hisurf.com/hawaiian/names.html

Staci aka Kaki
Keegan aka Kekana
Kylie aka Kilie

carole
12-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Thanks Staci, mine is KALOLA I think that is quite nice. my daughter's is MELIKA, my son's is KOKA, my husband has two,KEPANO and POOKELA.

:) I like my one so much I might even name my next girl kitty it, whenever that will be???

Kfamr
12-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Mines Kei. :p

primabella
12-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Mine is Liana...way to go. :p

Moose
12-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Mine's Paloke :p

Miss Meow
12-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Nikol

wolfsoul
12-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Cool! My name is Iolakana .

lizbud
12-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Mine's Elikapeka .....I think I like it.:D

mugsy
12-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Gee I have 2!! How did I get so special....I think I'd better stick with choice 2 because I can't pronounce the other one....

Molly HokuOKeKai
Molly Moli

GoldenRetrLuver
12-16-2003, 07:01 PM
Mine is Kuli. :p

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-16-2003, 07:03 PM
KuuMomiMakama

-and-

Mekana

andrea_NMAggie
12-16-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm Anakalia :)

Cincy'sMom
12-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Mine is Eme or Ame

Ralph is Lalepa

Sadie is Kaki(e)

Cincy and Spot don't have Hawaiian names :)

micki76
12-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Mine is Mikekie

Michael's is Mikale

Chester's is Kekela

Millie's is Mile

Aneko's is not available

LOL I had to look up Kate's, too! :D

FurMomx6
12-16-2003, 07:55 PM
This is cool. My name is Kelikea.

Farrah is Palaha
Rocky is Loluki
Chloe is Kaloe
Opie does have a name
KC doesn't have one either
Sterling is Kelina

Amber
12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Amapele :p

Kater
12-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Oooooh, I love Hawaiian! It's a beautiful language.
My pets' names are both Hawaiian. Mele means song and Nipo is one of the many words meaning love.
This dictionary is alright but it seems to resort to "sound alikes" rather than translating based on meaning.
For example, I have two middle names, one is in English and the other is the Hawaiian translation. Irene translates into Maluhia and both mean peace or peaceful. However, this dictionary translates Irene as Ailina, a "sound alike." But both Maluhia and Ailina sound very pretty!

Micki,
Aneko - is that a Japanese word? Is it pronounced A-neck-o or A-nee-ko? I always imagined it pronounced A-nee-ko in which case it sounds very Japanese. Do you know what it means? If you let me know then I could get it translated for you. ;)

On a related note...It is very popular to wear gold bracelets in Hawaii with your name engraved on them. Many girls get their first one when they turn 16, graduate high school or after some other major milestone. Some women have half a dozen dangling from their wrists and arms.
Mine is the only nice piece of jewelry I own and because my Daddy helped me pick it out, it will be something I treasure always. :D
This is what they look like: http://www.ch1hawaii.com/rhhj/jewelry_hawaiianbracelets.asp

micki76
12-16-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Kater

Micki,
Aneko - is that a Japanese word? Is it pronounced A-neck-o or A-nee-ko? I always imagined it pronounced A-nee-ko in which case it sounds very Japanese. Do you know what it means? If you let me know then I could get it translated for you. ;)

It's A-nee-ko,m and I pride myself on already knowing the meaning, but thank you for offering. ;) Ashley (Binka_nugget) suggested the name when I first got her. It means older sister in Japanese. We love her name and people always comment on it and then I get to explain the meaning. :)

petlover
12-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Mine is

Janet- Kaneki

Hallie- Halie

Ginger's is really cool:)

Ginger- Awapuhi

My mom's is the best and coolest so far.:p

Cassandra- kakanakala ( Too many A's!!!)

green_chameleon_girl
12-16-2003, 09:35 PM
MINE IS FUNNY!!

Heather- Hekele LOL:)

trayi52
12-16-2003, 10:00 PM
My real name Willie did not change much, it was Wile, that used to be my user name with another Internet provider, wille. Trayi or Tray did not have a meaning and Grover's came up as Kaloweli, funny!! This is kool. :)

neko1
12-17-2003, 05:07 AM
Mine is Mikala

No names for Neko, Pumpkin or Tama:(

Cookie's is Kuki (so cute!!:) )

petlover
12-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Oh, and Hedi's didn't change much at all.

Hedi- Heiki

Hallie's name really stayed the same.

Hallie- Halie:)

Kater
12-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by micki76
It's A-nee-ko,m and I pride myself on already knowing the meaning, but thank you for offering. ;) Ashley (Binka_nugget) suggested the name when I first got her. It means older sister in Japanese. We love her name and people always comment on it and then I get to explain the meaning. :)

Now knowing what it means, I like the name even more! I was actually offering to get it translated into Hawaiian. :p

Logan
12-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Lokana..........I like that! :)

Kater
12-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by petlover
Cassandra- kakanakala ( Too many A's!!!)
Actually, you will never find 2 consonants together as a vowel always follows a consonant in the Hawaiian language. Also interesting to note is that the Hawaiian alphabet only consists of 7 consonants and 5 vowels!
P K H L M N W
A E I O U

Another little FYI.....

Most mainlanders pronounce "Hawaii" as hawaiyi. In Texas, that even becomes hawaiya. No local person in Hawaii says it either way. The most important point is the transition from one "i" to the other. "Hawaii" in Hawaiian is properly written "Hawai`i" and pronounced hawai`i, where the apostrophe stands for a glottal stop, a brief closure of the throat, like a little cough.
http://www.friesian.com/hawaii.htm

wolfsoul
12-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by micki76
It's A-nee-ko,m and I pride myself on already knowing the meaning, but thank you for offering.
Are you sure that's the pronunciation of the Japanese word? :) Because I'm sure that in Japanese, the letter 'e' is pronounced 'ay.' Atleast in all the songs I know lol. :o

Uabassoon
12-17-2003, 04:27 PM
Mine is Lala

bluekat
12-17-2003, 06:01 PM
lol, mine is nothing like my real name:p I got 2 too...
Linohau and Kipani:p

Kater
12-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Are you sure that's the pronunciation of the Japanese word? :) Because I'm sure that in Japanese, the letter 'e' is pronounced 'ay.' Atleast in all the songs I know lol. :o
I asked some of my Japanese speaking friends and they tell me that Aneko is pronounced like "Ah-neh-ko" and if it were prounounced "Ah-nee-ko" it would be spelled Aniko. Good call, Jordan.

wolfsoul
12-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Kater
Good call, Jordan.
Thanks. :D

aly
12-17-2003, 10:29 PM
My name is Alikonu.

Reece - Leke
Skylar - Kakilala
Shiloh - Kilohu
Lucky - laki, pomaika'i or Lukoki
Chance - Kanake
Missy - Miki
Merlin - Meline
Sterling - Kelina

Lolly, Magic, Motor, Nakita, and Mocha were unavailable.

Kater
12-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by aly
My name is Alikonu.

Reece - Leke
Skylar - Kakilala
Shiloh - Kilohu
Lucky - laki, pomaika'i or Lukoki
Chance - Kanake
Missy - Miki
Merlin - Meline
Sterling - Kelina

Lolly, Magic, Motor, Nakita, and Mocha were unavailable.
Ohhh, I love Kilohu, Pomaika'i and Kanake!!!

Twisterdog
12-17-2003, 10:43 PM
My name, Shanna, is Kana in Hawaiian.

My son's name, Dylan, is Kilana.

Shelteez2
12-17-2003, 10:57 PM
My name is Kaka
Emily is Emele
And Clipse's wasn't available of course, LOL