PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Recipes.....

carole
12-14-2003, 06:58 PM
I am sure its been done before, but thought it would be nice anyhow to share with one another some of our favourite xmas recipes. This one is a nz one so you may have to subsitute some things, hope you enjoy it.

NO COOK CHOCOLATE CHRISTMAS PUDDING.

20cm double round plain sponge, halfed horizontally.

4 Tablespoons Orange liquer or Orange Juice.

500 grm chocolate mousse(we use Tararua brand here)but I am certain any kind will do.

1/2 cup roasted Hazelnuts, coarsley chopped

1/2 cup dried Apricots, roughly chopped.

1/2 pottle of Fresh Sweetened Thickened Cream.

1/2 cup Dark Chocolate chopped.

1/2 cup mixed peel.

Method:

1. Line the inside of a large deep bowl with cling film (plastic type wrap).

2. Cut cake into triangular pieces 1.5 cm thick, brush with orange juice or liquer and use to line the bowl, placing the narrow end of the cake slices in the centre of the base.

3.Reserve left-over cake for topping.

4. Beat the Mousse until it doubles in volume and stir in the roasted hazelnuts and dried apricots.

5.Spread into the bowl leaving a cavity in the centre.

6. Mix the Thickened cream with the chopped chocolate and mixed peel and use to fill the cavity.

7. Use the left-over cake to cover the top, cover with cling film, and refrigerate overnight,)if possible place a weight on top)

8. Turn out and dust with cocoa and icing sugar.

ENJOY AND PIG OUT.:)

Randi
11-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Sounds yummy - thanks! :)

Here's another one you can try for Christmas! I got it from a friend in England. It's quite easy!

Warning! Don't even look at it, if you want to slim! :eek:

Chocolade Truffles

100 g Valhrona chocolade (or other good dark chocolade)
50 g unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
6+ tablespoons icing sugar
flavouring (e.g. Grand Marnier, Tia Maria, Rum)
coatings (e.g. icing sugar, choc strands, cocoa powder)

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Cream together the butter, icing sugar, egg yolks and flavouring (if used). Add the melted chocolate and beat until mixed and a fairly firm consistency, adding more icing sugar if necessary. Put in a dish and leave to cool and set - I put mine in a shallow dish in the fridge for an hour. Once set, form into balls (keep your hands as cold as you can while doing this) and roll them in the coatings. This is the messy and time-consuming part of the process. :eek:

Enjoy! :D

slick
11-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Take 1/2 cup of coffee and fill up with 1/2 cup of Slick's home made Baileys. :)

Lacey
11-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Every year at xmas time, my family makes sausage balls. Always yummy! Messy to make, though!

1 cup Bisquick (I think that's the right amount, might be a bit more)
2 packs of spicy sausage
1 block of cheese

Shred the entire block of cheese in a large mixing bowl, plop the sausage into the bowl, and pour in the bisquick. Mix it thoroughly - we always use our hands for this, hence why the recipe is messy. You knead the ingredients together.

Once you're done with all that, break off bits of the mixture and roll them into tight little balls. Set them on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10 or 15 minutes. Set out to cool, repeat until you run out of sausage mixture.

It makes a heck of a lot, which is always good if you're having a big family get together, or, if you're like my family, you just love snacking on them! :D

Rachel
11-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by carole

NO COOK CHOCOLATE CHRISTMAS PUDDING.

20cm double round plain sponge, halfed horizontally.

You almost had me baffled for a minute until I read further.
A sponge...what's a sponge? Ahhh, sponge cake, okay.

carole
11-14-2004, 04:48 PM
He he, I never thought to add cake, as the recipe just says sponge, did you think I meant a cleaning sponge, he he., now that would be rather yuck wouldn't it?

I am glad you bumped this old thread up, because I was thinking I might make it this year and could not find the recipe, but here it is now , many thanks.:)

lizzielou742
11-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Mmmmmm, all these sound good so far!!!

My mom was born in Slovenia. She's half Slovenian and half Serbian (her mom is Slovenian and her dad is Serbian). She and my grandma make several Yugoslavian Christmas cookies that I just LOVE. Here's a recipe for one of them that I really like.

Kolachy (pronounced "koh-LAH-chee" I think. I have also seen it spelled "kolacky" or "kolache")

serves 8-10 dozen

6 cups sifted flour (velvet is best)
1 pound butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 grated lemon rind
juice of 1 lemon
4 tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup warm milk (or water)
1 cup sour cream
6 egg yolks
6 egg whites - reserved for next day
1 package yeast
1 additional tsp. sugar
1 1/2 - 2 cans Solo apricot filling (you could probably use any brand of dessert/pie filling, but we always use Solo, it comes in 12 oz. cans)
some superfine sugar (to roll cookies in when finished)

Cut butter into flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, lemon rind and 4 tbsp. sugar until crumbly.

In separate bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk and 1 tsp. sugar. Let stand 10 minutes to proof.

In a third bowl, beat 6 egg yolks, sour cream and lemon juice together. Add this and the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Combine well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Next day:

Roll dough thin. Cut into square pieces (about 2" by 2"). Fill with a small amount of Solo apricot filling. Pinch together (they should look like this (http://www.cooksrecipes.com/recipe_pics_2/czeechoslovakian_kolache_cookies.jpg) without the icing on top). Brush with slightly beaten egg whites. Bake in 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Cool and roll in superfine sugar.

You can also use other filling like poppyseed, raspberry, or walnut mixture.

:) mmmmmm makes me hungry!!!! :D

AmberLee
11-14-2004, 08:30 PM
A dear friend used to make a Yugoslavian dish that we called Cheese Bread -- I think she called it Pre-EZ-Not. I have no idea how to spell it though. Have you heard of this? Can you help me find the correct spelling? I get a LOT of compliments on this at parties and potlucks and such and I'd like to give the right info out on it.

Note: It's usually served as an appetizer when plain; or as a main dish when you add veggies and meat. It's very rich and easy to make. If you'd like, I'll go find the recipe. It's just that I usually serve it in summer and haven't thought of it for the holidays. It should be very nice for holiday parties though.

slick
11-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
If you'd like, I'll go find the recipe.
Yes please AmberLee! Anything with cheeezzzzzee suits my taste.:)

Miss Meow
11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Yummmmm, chocolate pud and chocolate truffles. I love Christmas :D

Carole, that recipe looks so easy, yet so decadent. It's one though, that *cough*, I'd have to test a few times to make sure it was OK for Christmas ;)

Edwina's Secretary
11-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Oh my gosh...LizzieLou...my dad is Slovenian....100%! I make a poteza for him...(not spelled correctly either) Do you know? I grind a pound or 1.5 pounds of walnuts...mix that with a cup of sugar, raisans, honey to taste...some flour to hold it together. Some milk and some melted butter. (It is not an exact science... :rolleyes: ) Then I cheat. I buy Pillsbury dinner roll mix and follow the directions. I roll it out so thin you can read newspaper through it (my grandmother's directions...) and spread the walnut mix on it. Rolll it up and bend it in whatever shape amuses (there are shapes for various holidays...I do a horseshoe) and bake for 20 - 30 minutes. I brush with some melted butter to give it nice color.

carole
11-15-2004, 02:57 AM
Nicole great minds think alike, I too was thinking now I could make one for my mother's Birthday this week, My dads two weeks later, My son's two weeks later and my own 4 days later and then one for xmas, do you think that would be a reasonable trial? lol:)

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-15-2004, 03:58 AM
We've lived in the USA for 2 years! Although it is more than 20 years ago, I still have lots of American X-mas recipes. I got them all from My friend there, Judy Westrich, and from cooking magazines:) . So, I just cannot make up my mind about what to post here. Know what? I will post the name of all the recipes I have, and if you want it, just tell me ;) . Yippie!!
Here we go then:
- sugar-coated pecans
- chocolate chips cookies
- cut out sugar cookies (x-mas shapes)
- white X-mas cookies
- chocolate chip pudding cookies
- almond crescents
- X-mas meringues
- walnut hermits
- nitey-nite cookies
- cinnamon sweet rolls

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-15-2004, 04:15 AM
Here is a typical Flemish recipe! It is yummie!!!!

Speculaas (=Saint Nicolas Cookies)

3 cups unsifted all purpose-flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or regular margarine, softened
1 1/4 cups light-brown sugar, pecked
1 egg
1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds

1) On a sheet of waxed paper, sift flour, spices, baking powder and salt; set aside
2) In large bowl of electric mixer at high speed, beat butter, sugar, and egg, until mixture is very light and fluffy
3) With wooden spoon, stir in half of flour mixture; then beat in rest of flour mixture and the almonds, mixing with hands if necessary.
4) Refrigerate dough, covered, several hours.
5) Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease several cookie sheets. Remove one fourth of dough at a time from refrigeratot. With hand, flatten dough to make a 4-inch rectangle.
6) Between 2 sheets of waxed paper, on slightly dampened surface, roll out dough 1/8 inch thick. Cut with 2 1/2-inch diamond cookie cutter, if desired, decorate with slivered almonds.
7) Repeat with rest of dough, one fourth at a time.
8) Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden-brown around edges. Remove cokies to wire rack; cool completely.
9) To store: Keep in tightly covered glassjar or cookie tin in a cool dry place several weeks.

Makes about 4 dozen

lizzielou742
11-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
Oh my gosh...LizzieLou...my dad is Slovenian....100%! I make a poteza for him...(not spelled correctly either) Do you know?

OMG, do I!!

I LOOOOOVE potica!!!! (that's how my mom spells it, but we pronounce it exactly like you spelled it). It's SO GOOD!! We eat it for breakfast around my house all the time. :D :D :D I think what you described it basically how we make it too......it's so good with a little Country Crock spread on it, warm - YUM! :D

AmberLee
11-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
- white X-mas cookies
- chocolate chip pudding cookies
- almond crescents

If you wouldn't mind, these three really appeal to me. As a child, almond crescents were available locally in stores. I'd forgotten them, but YUM, they were good!

lizzielou742
11-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
A dear friend used to make a Yugoslavian dish that we called Cheese Bread -- I think she called it Pre-EZ-Not. I have no idea how to spell it though. Have you heard of this? Can you help me find the correct spelling? I get a LOT of compliments on this at parties and potlucks and such and I'd like to give the right info out on it.

Note: It's usually served as an appetizer when plain; or as a main dish when you add veggies and meat. It's very rich and easy to make. If you'd like, I'll go find the recipe. It's just that I usually serve it in summer and haven't thought of it for the holidays. It should be very nice for holiday parties though.

I will email my mom and see if she knows the spelling and stuff. I don't know this one right off the bat, but it sure sounds good! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Okay, Pauline!
Here comes nr1!

WHITE X-MAS COOKIES

3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp light cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour

1) Mix butter, sugar, salt until smooth.
2) Add yolks, cream, and vanilla. Beat about 2 minutes until fluffy.
3) Gradually add flour (with wooden spoon!)
4) Shape dough into a ball. Flatten dough and wrap in foil, plastic film or waxed paper, and refrigerate 2 hours.
5) Set oven on 325°F
6) Roll out 1/4 of dough to 1/4" thickness. Cut out cookies. Place on ungreased sheet, 1" apart.
7) Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden. Cool on rack
8) Decorate

makes 4 dozen

CHOCOLATE CHIP PUDDING COOKIES

2 1/4 cups of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 pkg (4 serving size) JELL-O Choc. instant pudding/pie filling
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 pkg (12 oz) chocolate chips

1) Mix flour with baking soda.
2) Combine butter, the sugars, pudding mix and vanilla in large mixing bowl; beat until smooth and creamy.
3) Beat in eggs.
4) Gradually add flour mixture.
5) Stir in chips and nuts.
6) Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, approx. 2 inches apart.
7) Bake 375°F, for 8-10 minutes

yield: 7 dozen

I will post the last recipe tomorrow, as it is a long one ;)

PJ's Mom
11-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Oh gosh. There goes the diet again. :eek:

I have got to try the Christmas pudding! :D

carole
11-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Did someone mention the word Diet?, HMM not in my vocab anymore, especially at this time of year and with all these delightful recipes, I have not had breakfast yet, and this is making my mouth water just reading them. lol:) ;)

Fox-Gal
11-15-2004, 04:53 PM
BROWNIE CHOCOLATE CHIP CHEESECAKE (plus variations)

1 package fudge brownie mix. (19 or 21 oz)
3 8oz packages cream cheese (soft)
1 can sweetned condensed milk (14oz)
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Perheat oven to 350
grease bottom of 9" spring pan.
mix brownie as directed on box ( for chewy brownies)
spread brownie mix in bottom of pan..........bake 35 min.

meanwhile mix cream cheese till fluffy, add the milk, eggs and vanilla.......mix well. stir in chips.

pour into pan on top of cooked brownie crust, reduce oven to 300
bake 50 min untill set.

cool.....chill.

Top if you want it.
1 1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
mix.............spread on top of cake and then sprinkle mini chip to your like.

Refrigerate till you are ready to eat. :D

Also if your not a big chocolate fan, you can use a yellow cake mix as the crust...........just add 1/4 cup butter (soft) to the cake mix and do not cook before hand. The cake crust cooks with the cheese cake mix.

I have taken this one recipe and turned it into a lemon cheese cake (just add 2 lemon juices and pulp into the mix instead of chips), blueberry cheese cake, etc. Just pick a taste you like. :)