PDA

View Full Version : sadaam captured!

joycenalex
12-14-2003, 06:06 AM
in tikirit iraq. the dna tests have confirmed his identity. the iraqi governing council announced his capture.

RICHARD
12-14-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by joycenalex
in tikirit iraq. the dna tests have confirmed his identity. the iraqi governing council announced his capture.
lol,
got you by two minutes..........

(nature called);)

joycenalex
12-14-2003, 06:23 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RICHARD
[B]lol,
got you by two minutes..........

(nature called);)
i got 3 furry alarm clocks. they know what time breakfast is:D

joycenalex
12-14-2003, 06:26 AM
kudos and proper respect to the military and intelligence communities that managed to do this, with no loss of life that i've heard about in this operation.

Pam
12-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Some people get their news from the major networks but not me! I logged onto Pet Talk this morning before turning on the TV and I heard it first here! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'll go visit CNN.com! Good reporting joycenalex! Sorry about nature's call Richard! LOL!

Randi
12-14-2003, 06:53 AM
Great they got him! Not often you get good news on TV.

Back to watch CNN and BBC World!

mugsy
12-14-2003, 07:14 AM
Happy days are here again!! And Richard....quit blaming poor old Mother Nature....Geez!! :p ;)

smokey the elder
12-14-2003, 07:44 AM
Sometimes we get one right. It has been hard for the USA to capture a specific person in the past, but we seem to be getting better at it. I wonder if the heavy insurgency recently was because we were getting very close.

lbaker
12-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Why is this in the "Dog House"?? DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD, WHICH OLD WITCH? THE WICKED WITCH Not in body but certainly in spirit. Maybe now, or soon, Andrew, Souraya, Drake and the rest can come home :cool:

slick
12-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Way to go U.S.!!!! That's one down.

babolaypo65
12-14-2003, 08:27 AM
I hope this is the first big step toward lasting peace and stability in Iraq.

KYS
12-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Great news!!!
Gives me more hope that others will still be found.

Soledad
12-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Awesome! I hope this means soldiers will stop being attacked.

bluekat
12-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Glad they caught him!

Dogz
12-14-2003, 09:59 AM
I am waaaaay too slow for you people!;)

I saw this on MSN today, read the full story here. (http://msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?p1=0)
That is great news.

lovemyshiba
12-14-2003, 10:03 AM
I am pleased to have woken up to this news.
I didn't get up until 10:30 though!!!
I'm waiting to see the president's speech, I believe it's on at noon.
I hope this means Souraya, Andrew, Brian (Dakota's mommy's husband), and all of our other servicemen and women can come home soon.

Interesting though, on CNN, they mentioned not knowing who the $25 million reward for capturing him will go to--any thoughts??

Cincy'sMom
12-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Like Pam, I get my news from PT!! And Emily, you are still ahead of me, I'm just finding out now...at 11:30!!!

babolaypo65
12-14-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba

I hope this means Souraya, Andrew, Brian (Dakota's mommy's husband), and all of our other servicemen and women can come home soon.

Sadly, I doubt it means our troops will be coming home soon. We have NOT won our war on terror. Those who were responsible for 9/11 have not been brought to justice. bin Laden is still out there (and he was our original target). I suspect we will see an increase in battles as the different factions fight for positions. It IS an important step though toward peace and stability.

primabella
12-14-2003, 10:40 AM
My sister just turned on the TV and told me the news, then I came to the Dog House because I *knew* someone was going to post it! :p

Good news! :D *does happy dance* But I can't help but feel skeptical of the whole thing. Like they actually actually caught the dirty bastard. :/ *sigh* Hope I'm being worried for nothing.

popcornbird
12-14-2003, 10:45 AM
WOW! I woke up, got on the computer, opened two screens (one PT and one CNN). I saw the breaking news on CNN and almost fainted. Needless to say, this was the first morning in more than a year and a half that I spent my first morning minutes on CNN instead of PT! :eek: Did you see his pic? He looks WIERD! :eek: I sure hope that evil monster gets what he deserves!

trayi52
12-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Great News!!!!!!!!! And a great Job U.S. Troops!!!! I hope and pray this will keep our troops from being attacked and killed.

Now on to Osama Bin Laden!!!:D

Aspen and Misty
12-14-2003, 11:04 AM
YAY!!! Another News Paper to go into my scrape book as "Day's going to be in History Books when my kids are in school"

Ashley :D :D

gini
12-14-2003, 11:19 AM
I turned on the computer and went to the New York Times.

There was Sadaam's picture - he has been captured.

Two things happened. I instantly got the chills and the second is that huge tears welled up in my eyes.

Chills for the enormity of this event - tears for all of our soldiers who have been killed in our efforts to free all Iraqis.

This is a magnificent turn of events and I pray that we can continue in our efforts in Iraq.

And I will pray for all of our soldiers that are still there - God, please keep them safe and return them to their families soon.

RICHARD
12-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Gini,

I got chills watching the tape of the doctor checking him out....

and then it hit me.......

I wear my hair the same way when I wake up in the morning.....
:eek:

Dogz
12-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Gini,

I got chills watching the tape of the doctor checking him out....

and then it hit me.......

I wear my hair the same way when I wake up in the morning.....

LOL, Richard.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-14-2003, 12:35 PM
LET'S HEAR IT FOR OUR FIGHTERS IN IRAQ!

What a great moment. :)

trayi52
12-14-2003, 12:38 PM
I agree, they deserve it. Our men and women of the American forces are the bravest and the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

trayi52
12-14-2003, 01:06 PM
Another thing, I am glad he was captured, he can't become a martyr now. At least I don't think so, can he????:)

trayi52
12-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Ayet Bassem, 24, walked out of a shop with her 6-year-old son.

"Things will be better for my son," she said. "Everyone says everything will be better when Saddam is caught. My son now has a future."

This made me feel good to read on MSNBC. May they all have better futures.:)

Tray

carole
12-14-2003, 06:18 PM
I was over-joyed when I turned on the news this morning at 7am to hear this moron has finally been captured.

THREE CHEERS FOR THE AMERICANS.

HIP HIP HOORAY

HIP HIP HOORAY

HIP HIP HOORAY.

There is talk he will be sentenced to death, IMO this is too good for him, he tortured many and made them suffer, too easy and too simple to execute him.

GREAT EFFORT from the American troops, they are so brave and this will indeed be a great xmas present, for them and the people of Iraq.

popcornbird
12-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by carole

Their is talk he will be sentenced to death, IMO this is too good for him, he tortured many and made them suffer, too easy and too simple to execute him.

I hope they treat Saddam like he treated the Iraqi people during his rule, before they give him his death sentence. :mad: He deserves to taste the pain that he caused so many to suffer from himself now. What a moron.........what a coward. Whether or not he is tortured in this world before his end, I'm sure God has a nice punishment, waiting for him, in the fires of Hell. :p

Amber
12-14-2003, 06:44 PM
WELL DONE AMERICAN TROOPS! :D :D

Kfamr
12-14-2003, 07:06 PM
I believe he deserves to die, but if we were to torture him we'd be just like him.

carole
12-14-2003, 07:11 PM
I am not suggesting we torture him, but maybe imprison him forever, however I guess if someone we loved had suffered at his hands, we may indeed feel quite differently, yep I guess two wrongs donot make a right.

popcornbird
12-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by carole
I am not suggesting we torture him, but maybe imprison him forever, however I guess if someone we loved had suffered at his hands, we may indeed feel quite differently, yep I guess two wrongs donot make a right.

Sure two wrongs don't make a right, but this man has hurt/tortured/killed so many innocent people. I think he deserves to be very well punished for his crimes, and I'm sure they will punish him. I don't know how, but he will get what he deserves.

carole
12-14-2003, 08:50 PM
PCB I am with you on this one, I was just responding to Kay-ann's comment, I didn't actually suggest we torture him in my post,however I think executing him is far too quick and painless, a long drawn out process would be much better.

In this case it should be an eye for an eye!!!!!!!

Whereas we may be just as bad to torture him, and just the same as him, I guess there are always exceptions to the rule, and as I said previously, had our loved ones been hurt by this monster we may think very differently..

Just wanted to clarify these points, so as there is no mis-understanding re- my comments, cheers.:)

trayi52
12-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Just think this "man" killed over 400,000 of his own people! I hope he has a stay at one of the prisons he tortured, tormented his own people in. The way I understand, that is what he will get is life sentences on top of life sentences.

Yes, Poppy he will also have to deal with the fires of hell also. He did torture innocent people, and don't ever disagree with him, that meant death. He was and is a very cruel human being, if you can actually apply that to him. I know I cannot.

I don't want to see him die a quick death, no! That would be just too easy. He needs to be punished for what he did to his people.

I hope and pray that they are free at last.

Miss Meow
12-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Wow, I'm just reading the news now. Amazing.

Kudos to the person/s who were brave enough to provide the tip-off.

Kfamr
12-14-2003, 10:02 PM
He definitely needs to be punished, but to torture him like he did "his people" (like PCB had said), wouldn't do anything good and wouldn't make those tortured come back to life and health.

GoldenRetrLuver
12-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
He definitely needs to be punished, but to torture him like he did "his people" (like PCB had said), wouldn't do anything good and wouldn't make those tortured come back to life and health.

Wow Kayann, I was just going to post the exact same thing. I agree.

trayi52
12-14-2003, 10:10 PM
No we don't want it to be that easy for him, he should be imprisoned, and for a very long time. By the way he looked on the TV, he didn't look too happy.

Kfamr
12-14-2003, 10:14 PM
I'm not saying it should be easy for him. He should be provided food and water in a jail room somewhere, or DEAD. To torture him wouldn't make us any better than he is or how he was.

trayi52
12-14-2003, 10:38 PM
For some odd reason I don't want him dead, maybe if he is in prison, it will maybe give him some time to think about what he has done to his people. If he has a conscience, that is. If he doesn't, hopefully he will have time to find one. You think?

joycenalex
12-15-2003, 06:26 AM
let the kurds have him for a trial, in a few years, after he's been interrogated by the united states and the iraqis.

Pam
12-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Instead of shaving off that nasty looking beard they should have plucked out each hair one by one. :p

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-15-2003, 07:15 AM
To torture him wouldn't make us any better than he is or how he was.

Good point Kay. By torturing him, it's making us bad.

mugsy
12-15-2003, 07:34 AM
I'm torn, because if he lives that gives him the opportunity to run things from prison and if he is executed then he will be a martyr for his followers. Hmmmm... Mike suggested that the Kuwaiti women decide his fate.

Right now I'm just glad the miserable SOB was caught.

Felicia's Mom
12-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Great News!!!

2kitties
12-15-2003, 08:36 AM
Is anybody else laughing hysterically that this "leader, tyrant, etc." was found hiding in a hole? He went down without so much as a shot fired?
The body count on this man's hands is amazing. I don't agree with torturing him either in terms of punishment. But I'm not opposed to whatever it takes to get information out of him.

Maresche
12-15-2003, 09:14 AM
I'm very glad he was caught alive. It is the beginning of a long healing process for the country of Iraq.

I believe the best thing we can do with him at this point is get the information we can out of him, which won't be easy, and then let the Iraqi people put him on trial themselves. An international force to keep an eye on him during that process would be a good idea, to keep one of his followers from helping him escape and to keep a victim from killing him out of revenge, but the international community should not have a part of the trial and sentencing itself.

If there is anything left of him after the Iraqi people are done trying and sentencing him, then the international community can try him as well. However, I highly doubt the Iraqi people won't sentence him to death as it is.

Honestly, I think letting the Iraqi people serve justice first would be a huge step in the healing process for the country. It would help to identify them and unite them as a country.

mugsy
12-15-2003, 09:52 AM
The reason I'M laughing hysterically is that when he came out of the hole he said, "I am Saddam Hussein, president of Iraq and I'm ready to negotiate." I about busted a gut over that one.

gini
12-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by joycenalex
let the kurds have him for a trial, in a few years, after he's been interrogated by the united states and the iraqis.

Yes, yes, I think this is a good idea!

I also had the thought that it might be a good idea if we put him on display - in a zoo like setting for example.

The same would apply to Osama when we catch him.

popcornbird
12-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
The reason I'M laughing hysterically is that when he came out of the hole he said, "I am Saddam Hussein, president of Iraq and I'm ready to negotiate." I about busted a gut over that one.

That made me laugh too! I mean, I knew he was stupid, and naive, but ***that*** naive? WOW!

My brother and I were talking about this, and I asked him *If you were the American troop who upcovered the hole and found Saddam, how do you think you would've reacted?*

He said he would've fainted at first sight! :p LOL! I'm curious to know how the first troop to see him reacted! They must have been shocked!

2kitties
12-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Popcorn, I thought about that same thing. I imagine it was really tough for the soldier not to pull the trigger. He had to be tempted.
I love it that when Saddam said "I'm the President.....negotiate" the soldier responded "Greetings from President Bush"

RICHARD
12-15-2003, 11:20 AM
Gloria Allred and Mark Geragos are planning to fly to Baghdad to see who will get the job of representing Mr Hussein when he goes to trial.

gini
12-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Gloria Allred and Mark Geragos are planning to fly to Baghdad to see who will get the job of representing Mr Hussein when he goes to trial.

LOLOLO:D :D

trayi52
12-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties

Popcorn, I thought about that same thing. I imagine it was really tough for the soldier not to pull the trigger. He had to be tempted.
I love it that when Saddam said "I'm the President.....negotiate" the soldier responded "Greetings from President Bush"

That had to be very funny coming from a President sitting in a dirty hole in the ground, I think if I had been the guy standing there with a gun pointed at him, I would have just doubled over with laughter. I would have been for certain, ROFLMAO, but I am serious, I have this picture in my head of this man standing in his little hole, and announcing he is the president of Iraq. Then the soldier, saying greetings from President Bush. I am still laughing, and cannot keep from laughing, and giggling about this picture that keeps popping into my little brain.

RICHARD
12-15-2003, 01:29 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/nolte1.html

A beard and some hair dye....

The Movie of the Week...starring Nick Nolte as Saddam Hussein!

Tim Conway as George Bush.

Oprah as Condeleeza Rice.

JJ 'Dyno-mite' Walker as Colin Powell.

Mark Geragos as Don Rumsfeldt

Vlade Divac as Osama Bin Laden.

Richard Simmons as Gloria Allred

And special Guest star....

Scott Peterson.

Don't want to totally forget about evil

trayi52
12-15-2003, 01:43 PM
According to the picture of Nick Nolte, just stick a beard on his face and he would make a great Saddam Hussein, and Tim Conway would make a great Georger Bush!:D

2kitties
12-15-2003, 01:45 PM
But Richard, who will play Howard Dean? Suffice it to say he's having a bad day! Let's see how he talks his way out of this.

RICHARD
12-15-2003, 02:23 PM
But Richard, who will play Howard Dean? Suffice it to say he's having a bad day! Let's see how he talks his way out of this.

LOL, I have to think about this one....

Also there is a one hour TV special later
on the before and after Saddam pictures-the Saddam
makeover...

It's called "Queer Eye for the Deposed Dictator".

:rolleyes:

gini
12-15-2003, 02:41 PM
TIME MAGAZINE has Sadaam's recent picture on the cover and the issue was in my mailbox already.

Now that is F A S T!!

2kitties
12-15-2003, 02:44 PM
OOh, I should get mine today. Yes, those people at the News mags are amazing. Hard to believe how a weekly publication could be so timely.
Stinks to be a newpaper editor Sunday Morning. Their issues were already on the streets before the news broke.

Kfamr
12-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Saddam reminds me of my grandpa with a mustache.:eek:

carole
12-15-2003, 04:29 PM
So far he has shown no remorse for what he has done, he called himself a Just ruler, cough cough splutter, excuse me while I choke on his words.

One thing I find a little unusual is that some people are
all for making people suffer who have been cruel to animals, and that the same should be done to them, i have seen many a thread on here stating such things, but when it comes to saddam, there is a different view point, I am curious to why.?

I for one , am disgusting by animal cruelty the same as the next person, and also at what henious crimes Saddam has committed, however I also don't think torturing him is the answer, and yes I do think letting the kurds decide his fate should be well on the cards., until we ourselves have experienced such as what the Iraq people have from this dictator, we have not walked in their shoes, and don't really know how we would react.

I prefer to see him rott in jail, with the minimum bare human necessities, see how he likes it, no hair dyes then mate.

RICHARD
12-15-2003, 04:40 PM
OOh, I should get mine today. Yes, those people at the News mags are amazing. Hard to believe how a weekly publication could be so timely.
Stinks to be a newpaper editor Sunday Morning. Their issues were already on the streets before the news broke.

Here's the secret to getting 'TIMELY' news.

Every newspaper/magazine has a section where most pre-written stories reside......For example- Bob Hope's obituary was written well before he passed away. The stories are revised, as necessary, until the time when it's appropriate to let them run.

When you read the paper you'll see a basic LONG story and the shorter 'sidebar' stories will have more detailed stories as to how the news item went down...

It saves quite a bit of work and the reporters just have to write the filler to let you know, what, why, when, how......

I had a chance to see the Los Angeles Time's waiting story section....I may be wrong but I think it's called 'the morgue'....

-------------------

carole,

I fully understand your post.....

Remember that most animal cruelty stories involve one person.

Saddam did do some dirty deeds, but the bulk were pulled off by his henchman and subordinates-and while that doesn't excuse him of any wrongdoing- He should be punished for his crimes because he not only allowed them, but he encouraged them.....

I think it's far more evil to get other people to do your dirty work..

Kfamr
12-15-2003, 05:03 PM
People have a voice. Animals don't. People can fight back. Animals can't. People can say "OUCH". Animals can't.

I'm not saying these people had the choice, the definitly were helpless, but they surely have more of a chance than lets say a cat would.

Besides, I think he should get off of this earth as quickly as possible, too risky having him here. You never know what he's capable of and sitting in jail it's possible there may be a way he could escape.

2kitties
12-15-2003, 05:08 PM
People have a voice. Animals don't. People can fight back. Animals can't. People can say "OUCH". Animals can't.
Clearly you've never met my Rocky when he's hungry or I've stepped on his tail. He's got some big voice!
lol:p

carole
12-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Good Point Kay-ann I hear ya, but to be honest I don't think these poor people had much more chance or say than the animals, if you hear and see some of the terrible things this dictator did, your heart will fill with so much compassion and feeling for the torment they suffered.

Just an example, if you dared to speak up or question him in anyway, he had you killed, most of the people were indeed helpless against him. He was a very powerful man.

Maybe you are right, he could escape, there is always that possibility, maybe a quick execution is the answer who knows, I am just glad I don't have to decide, as I would be torn as what is for the best.

Whatever I think we all agree he was an evil,cruel man, who also bore two evil cruel sons, I believe his own life as a child was that of being dealt with by beatings etc, not that this excuses what he became, but I guess it might have a little bearing on it.

popcornbird
12-15-2003, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry, but the people who Saddam tortured did *not* have a voice, or a free will, or anything like that. They were not allowed to. They were helpless, and tortured helplessly. They couldn't do anything to defend themselves. While I am 100% against animal abuse as everyone else here, I am even more against human abuse. I would criticize someone who seriously abuses humans (like Saddam did) more than someone who abuses animals. While I *hate* both animal abuse, and human abuse, and am dead against anyone who abuses or brings harm to either, in my opinion, human life comes before animal life. I would save an innocent suffering human before an innocent suffering animal, and go for the animal next. That's a good question Carol. I was wondering the same thing.

Kfamr
12-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I'm sorry, but the people who Saddam tortured did *not* have a voice, or a free will, or anything like that.

I never said they did.

2kitties
12-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Well, it appears they are going to allow the Iraqi people to try him. Which I think is perfect. For once, the Victims themselves will get to determine punishment for a criminal.

clara4457
12-15-2003, 05:54 PM
It is just so ironic that Saddam preached to his followers to fight to the death, but when he was found came out of his hole without a shot fired.

I truly hope a well publicized trial is planned. I think that as people learn more about his practices - he will no longer be a martyred figure. He still has a great many supporters in the Middle East and that support needs to be broken down.

moosmom
12-16-2003, 08:08 AM
MEEEERRRRRRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!

RICHARD
12-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
MEEEERRRRRRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!
thank you,

and I don't mean to be mean spirited, but....

If Saddam is my present, can I exchange him for something else?:confused:

Tonya
12-17-2003, 12:41 AM
I was at a night club in Las Vegas when they announced it. There were some guys there that had just gotten back from Iraq. They were these big strong men and they were crying and hugging eachother. It was very touching.

Twisterdog
12-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I'm sorry, but the people who Saddam tortured did *not* have a voice, or a free will, or anything like that. They were not allowed to. They were helpless, and tortured helplessly. They couldn't do anything to defend themselves. While I am 100% against animal abuse as everyone else here, I am even more against human abuse. I would criticize someone who seriously abuses humans (like Saddam did) more than someone who abuses animals. While I *hate* both animal abuse, and human abuse, and am dead against anyone who abuses or brings harm to either, in my opinion, human life comes before animal life. I would save an innocent suffering human before an innocent suffering animal, and go for the animal next. That's a good question Carol. I was wondering the same thing.

Good post, I feel the same way.

2kitties
12-17-2003, 10:36 AM
I wonder how long this will take. I mean, it took 4 years to get Milosevic to trial.

trayi52
12-17-2003, 10:53 AM
I have no love for the sadistic sob, but I don't want things to be that easy for him, of course with him dead he could not smuggle orders out of prison or be able to escape. We know that there have been some known to escape. I just don't want him to appear to of died for his country. He is no hero, he gave up very willingly. I think when he comes to trial, that it should be a humiliating experience for him.

But one of his own prisons would be nice for him. After reading what somebody said about may him escaping or still running the country from inside prison, that really upsets me to think about that happening too.

I am happy nevertheless, that he was found hiding in his little hole living like an underground varment he is. So much hate in this man, I still wonder how he turn it around and said it was justice for the people he had killed, also blaming chemical deaths on other people, did he not have his son-in- laws killed? He wasn't thinking about his daughters or his grandchildren. Selfish coward, he is.

Kfamr
12-17-2003, 02:58 PM
I don't see how any of those idiots that follow him could see him as a hero after HE was found living in a HOLE, looking the way he does, without a gun shot fired.:p After he lived in palaces with gold and everything, he certainly doesn't seem like any hero.:p

trayi52
12-17-2003, 03:07 PM
You know Kay, I hadn't even thought of that, from a golden palace to a hole in the ground, that would be a huge change don't you think? LMAO!!