PDA

View Full Version : Nala's limping

Kfamr
12-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Today she's been limping really bad. My dad says the vet is closed tomorrow (i'm going to make him call to make sure) So we'll have to take her Monday. Is there anything I can do to comfort her until it's time to go to the vet. I've been trying to make her just lay down so she doesn't put any stress on whatever's wrong.

We moved her leg around, looked at her paw, she hasn't cried at all.. just limping. But then again, i've never really heard her cry, and she's just a tough little pup.

I want to cry though... I feel so bad. :( My poor baby girl.

Karen
12-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Those big-boned dogs are sometimes prone to "growing pains." Had she been running before this? Oh, and I know you love her and everything, but be careful about giving her tooooo much attention for limping ...

My parents' dog one twitched when Dad was cutting her toenails, no he nipped the quick by accident. Well, he and Ma felt bad, so were very sypathetic while she "recovered." Well, now, years and years later, if I'm visiting Dad and not paying enough attention to Bruni, she'll limp into the room. The first time this happened, I asked Dad what was wrong with her paw. He smiled, bemused, and said "Nothing. Keep watching." Well, when she resumed walking the limp had changed sides ... she forgot which foot was "hurt!"

Kfamr
12-13-2003, 08:12 PM
She runs all the time. She even started playing with Simba and tried to get him going while she was still limping.

Karen
12-13-2003, 08:17 PM
Then I wouldn't worry too much, just take her to the vet if it persists until Monday. Probably pulled a muscle or something. Oh - another thought - have you checked her pads on that foot? No rock stuck between 'em or something, is there?

Kfamr
12-13-2003, 08:26 PM
I checked it like ten times today, every inch of her paw and leg. nothing.

Kfamr
12-14-2003, 02:31 AM
Now she's just hopping on three legs. She won't even put the leg on the ground.:(

Pam
12-14-2003, 06:53 AM
It sounds like the way Bella acted when she had Lyme disease. Is Nala on a preventative like Frontline? She still wanted to play but just wouldn't put that leg down. ((((Hugs to Nala and to you too KayAnn)))) because I know how upsetting it can be to watch a pupster showing signs of discomfort.

KYS
12-14-2003, 09:11 AM
My first thought was a sprain or something in the paw too.
Try to keep her off her leg as much as possible for now,
and even gently massage the leg.
Please keep us posted, and let us know what
the vet says.

(Pam, I guess I never even thought about ticks, but
that's possible too.)

lizbud
12-14-2003, 10:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Nala is now limping.:( You mentioned
some time before that you could hear popping & cracking
sounds when she walked. I didn't want to say anything but
Buddy had the cracking sounds when he walked too. It was
before his first knee surgery. His kneecap had slipped out of
place because his tendon or ligament had torn. (The Vet had
suspected a sprain at first). I hope this is not the case with
Nala & she gets to feeling better soon.

Kfamr
12-14-2003, 03:33 PM
:( I really hope she'll be ok. She was walking on it today a bit.
She's going to the vet first thing tomorrow. Hopefully I can take off school because I'd be too worried without being there. :(

Last night I made her lay down on the couch I didn't allow her to jump off the bed or couch by herself.

Her and Simba are both on advantage.

Pam
12-14-2003, 03:38 PM
KayAnn I think Liz may be onto something. It could be related to the popping sounds. I don't think it sounds like Lyme at this point because Bella never once put her leg down once she started limping until after we saw the vet and she was 2 days or so into her antibiotic. (((more hugs to you both)))

PS - I could be wrong, but I think Advantage only kills fleas and not ticks. At any rate, I am glad that tomorrow is almost here so you will get some answers and she'll be on the road to recovery ASAP.

Kater
12-14-2003, 03:41 PM
I will pray for sweet Nala tomorrow morning as she is getting things checked out. I hope it's something minor like....horsie growing pains. ;)
Keep her off the leg as much as you can, that's probably the most important thing you can do right now.
Try not to worry too much, Kay! :( (easier said than done, I know)

wolf_Q
12-15-2003, 01:04 AM
Sorry to hear that Nala is limping. I hope she gets feeling better soon and it's nothing serious. :( Let us know what the vet says!

RobiLee
12-15-2003, 05:30 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this, KayAnn. I hope Nala's leg is much improved this morning. I'll be thinking about you both today. Keep us posted.

Robin

tatsxxx11
12-15-2003, 04:18 PM
How did things go at the vet's, KayAnn??:confused: Please check in when you can. {{{HUGS}}} to you sweet Nala.

RobiLee
12-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Just checking in also. Let us know when you get a chance.

Robin :)

Kfamr
12-15-2003, 07:22 PM
My dad didn't take her to the vets today 'because she's walking fine now'.

Honestly, She does seem to be walking fine but i'm still worried. She's been chasing poor Simba around the house ALL day -- he hasn't gotten a break. Maybe it was what Karen said, growing pains. We'll see...

Pam
12-15-2003, 07:46 PM
That's good news! Growing pains is a real possibility. Robyn's (Christiansmommy) dog, Dale, gets growing pains. The breeder told them to expect some soreness while he is growing at such lightning speed. I hope Nala will be fine now. :)