PDA

View Full Version : Keiko the Killer Whale died

Desert Arabian
12-12-2003, 10:50 PM
A member of Rats Rule (Rat Fan Club) posted this on the rat board, I thought I would post it here.

:(

OSLO, Norway - Keiko, the killer whale, made famous by the the "Free Willy" movies, has died, his caretakers said early Saturday.

The whale, who was 27, died Friday afternoon after the sudden onset of pneumonia in the Taknes fjord in Norway.

His handler, Dane Richards, said the disease struck the whale fairly quickly. "He exhibited some signs of lethargy and lack of appetite," Richards told The Associated Press.

Richards said veterinarians had monitored Keiko's progress, but the whale died quickly.

"We checked his respiration rate and it was a little irregular ... he wasn't doing too well," Richards said. "Early in the evening, he passed away."

Twisterdog
12-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Oh, how sad. :(

At least he had some time living semi-free.

popcornbird
12-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Yeah I just heard that on the radio. :( RIP Keiko.

trayi52
12-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Keiko was Free Willy? That is so sad.:(

andrea_NMAggie
12-13-2003, 01:53 AM
That's just too sad :(

Logan
12-13-2003, 05:56 AM
:( :( :(

12-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Poor Keiko...! I'm so sorry he never was able to be "free" again...:(

Amber
12-13-2003, 11:01 AM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

GoldenRetrLuver
12-13-2003, 11:07 AM
So Sad. :( :( :(

Barbara
12-13-2003, 11:48 AM
I had seen Keiko in the aquarium of Newport OR about 8 years ago and followed the story of his life or was it a she? I should know.

I am sorry for her but anyway she could leave that place in Mexico that was far too warm and small for her, learned how to survive outside in Oregon and went back to the Northern Atlantic -she came from Iceland originally.

So I have no idea whether at Rainbow Bridge there is a place for whales but I hope she is happy there and maybe met others of her pod. (In reality they would have never accepoted her back):

KYS
12-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Very sad, at least she is at peace now.

Desert Arabian
12-13-2003, 12:35 PM
I would like to know exactly what they do with a deceaced whale body!?!? How in the world could you "dispose" of a 6 ton whale!?! :confused:

Poor Keiko. Have fun at the Rainbow Sea!

gini
12-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
I would like to know exactly what they do with a deceaced whale body!?!? How in the world could you "dispose" of a 6 ton whale!?! :confused:

Poor Keiko. Have fun at the Rainbow Sea!

I read the news on the CNN site and it made me so sad.

I also read that they are considering burying her and are working out the details. The thought is that research could be done on her skeleton and it would be preserved.

Paul
12-13-2003, 02:00 PM
   Poor Keiko.

Keiko was a male.

Aftenposten (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=690508) has a sad story regarding a possible fate of Keiko's remains. They also have a related links section with their older Keiko stories.

Paul

G.P.girl
12-13-2003, 02:08 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( poor baby....

moosmom
12-13-2003, 09:27 PM
My first thought when I saw this thread was "No Way!!" That's so sad. But I'm glad he had a chance to live a free existence for a while.

Kirsten
12-14-2003, 05:22 AM
I'm sorry about that! :(

He has touched so many hearts while he was alive. At least he was free - more or less - in the end. :(

Kirsten

WWFanz
12-14-2003, 10:19 AM
I heard about that yesterday.
RIP Keiko. :( :(

EssTer
12-14-2003, 10:41 AM
I donīt know, but maybe you think different like me.... Of course itīs sad, BUT I think it would be better to live him woht people, because he has lived with people almost all his life and he donīt know what means "free" .... Like horse, if you give him chance to live without humans, heīll run around, but THEN heīll come back ....

Poor babe :(

isis
12-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by EssTer
I donīt know, but maybe you think different like me.... Of course itīs sad, BUT I think it would be better to live him woht people, because he has lived with people almost all his life and he donīt know what means "free" .... Like horse, if you give him chance to live without humans, heīll run around, but THEN heīll come back ....

Poor babe :(

She's right, Letting something free that's been in captivity for so long and expecting it to live. BUT atleast he died free.:( I just can't beleive they let him free.:(

isis
12-14-2003, 05:41 PM
What is pneumonia??:confused: