PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my cat to play with his treat ball?

Don Juan's mom
12-12-2003, 09:18 PM
On the suggestion of the local Humane Society, I bought a treat ball for Don Juan to use when I'm at work, so he won't be so dependent on me for his playtime AND so he won't keep trying to get out of the house. But... he won't play with it! :-(

I've filled it with his very favorite treats (Pounce tartar control) and tried rolling it around for him, then drawing his attention to the treat that fell out.

(I've also thought about getting another cat, but I'm mostly unemployed at the moment and don't want to take on another dependent at this time. Besides, I don't really have the room.)

Any suggestions?

Liz (Don Juan's mom/housekeeper/entertainment center)

RedHedd
12-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I've found that if my cats don't like a toy, there's nothing I can do to make them play with it - cats like what THEY like - period :rolleyes: I bought my two the crazy tail toy that Nakita was so nuts over. They both completely ignore them and have never played with it. They're going to be Xmas gifts for my friends' cats. You could try rubbing catnip on it, but that's no guarantee your cat will play with it. I'd say try some different toys -- little furry mice are always good, especially if they're "marinated" in catnip like T&P's mom does - my two go NUTS over those! Ping pong balls, milk jug rings, my Mitzi goes nuts over plastic bags (cut the handles so they don't strangle themselves). Tie some ribbons to a stick and play with your cat with that - my two play with that toy all by themselves too. Good luck! Again, welcome to PT .... oh .... one more thing: Pictures! We Love pictures! :D

cutie_chica
12-15-2003, 02:22 PM
I had the same problem with my cat Princess, she just came around to it.. when I first got it, she was like.... Im not gonna touch that. Then I think she finally wanted a treat lol. Also Try Using some catnip!!

Don Juan's mom
12-16-2003, 12:01 AM
I've got a toy in my living room that Don Juan does like: big pieces of plain wrapping paper that came in a package. He sits on it, rips it, hides under it, sleeps under it... Oh, well. I can deal with the mess.:rolleyes:

Liz (Don Juan is up on top of the iMac again...)

trayi52
12-16-2003, 03:48 AM
Liz, I have bought Grover toys, which she loved, but she always loses them anyway, :rolleyes: , but she seems to be like your cat, Don Juan, she loves to play with paper, tearing it into pieces all over the floor. She loves paper watted up too. Cats seem to find their own toys. If they can find one of their own, they make one.

Grover also likes to steal ponytail holders to play with. So maybe something will come along that will interest Don Juan. :)

Tray

BastetsMum
12-16-2003, 04:31 AM
Paper is the ultimate cat toy. Also Christmas cards ....

cutie_chica
01-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Roll the ball around and show him whats inside, maybe he just isnt a ball cat? I believe he will come around 2 it!!:)