PDA

View Full Version : I found a lump in my breast.......

luckies4me
12-11-2003, 08:06 PM
The other day I was having sore breasts like I do every time of the month. :rolleyes: I was doing a breast exam when I found a medium sized lump right below my nipple, on my right breast. Could this be from the fibrocystic thing? I never have noticed it before but it's very noticable. I am just wondering if this could be what my mom had, just a fluid filled cyst, and when should I go to the doctors? I am going to wait and see if it goes away after my cycle is over, and then if not what do I do? :o

luckies4me
12-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Oh and BTW, I am extremely terrified of getting a mammagram, as my breasts are very tender, and just having them poked the wrong way on accident is very painful..........I can't imagine some doctor squishing them down on a plate. :eek:

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Cass, I really hope it's nothing to worry about. Just go to the doctor and get it over with until it's too late.

micki76
12-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Cass, I really hope it's nothing to worry about. Just go to the doctor and get it over with until it's too late.

Yep.

Believe me, the mammogram is a lot less painful than you think. I didn't even find it uncomfortable, it just felt weird. I had to go back because they found three "suspicious areas" and wanted to redo the mammo and I had a sonogram done on both breasts.

Think of it this way - much better to go ahead and go to the Dr, even if the mammo makes you cry, than to discover cancer in a year when it's spread all over your body and your chances of survival are so much smaller.

Any yes, I am trying to scare you. Go to the Dr to be sure it's nothing. Trust me, I had ovarian cancer at 32 which is nearly unheard of, so anyone can have any type of cancer at any age.

carole
12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Once again I can only offer you the same advice GO TO THE DOCTOR, they are the only ones who really can help you, I know its Scarey, and really the mammogram is not always a big deal, everyone is different I suppose, but my first one was not painful, at all, however it depends on how good your technician is., where I go they are very good and make it as comfortable as possible.

It is probably nothing to worry about, but please DONOT ignore any lump, best get it checked, the sooner the better,with your mothers fibrocystic history, its probably a similar thing, but leaving it will only worry you sick, good luck, HOPE ALL IS WELL, TAKE CARE OK.:)

Soledad
12-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Get the mammogram and be brave for Dylan. He needs his mommy calm and collected.

joycenalex
12-11-2003, 09:44 PM
CALL YOUR DOCTOR TOMORROW!!!! i do mammography, given your age, it's very likely that the radiologist would want to start with an ultrasound first (BTW are you breast feeding or could you be pregnant?). young women such as your self usually have very dense(hard to see through) tissue and cysts show up nicely with the ultrasound. but without seeing the doctor and getting examined, you won't know. since you have a problem, you'd be considered a diagnostic study (as opposed to a screening)
at my hospital system, we have a breast health nurse who will talk to you first, then the mammographer or ultrasound technologist does the testing as directed by the radiologist. the radiologist will read the study or studies and you know what your results are and the radiologists recommendations before you leave the department. the nurse can arrange any followup testing as recommended by the radiologist.
when i do a mammogram, i explain why the compression is needed and i talk the woman through it. the compression plate fans out the tissue so the radiologist can get a better idea of what is going on. the total amount of compression time is well under 5 seconds on each view. there are 2 views of each breast, so 4 images, so maybe 20 seconds total compression time. paperwork takes alot longer. if you have more questions, you can pm me.

slick
12-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Please please get it checked right away if not for you, for your family (an us). A mammogram is nothing to be afraid of. I have one a year now because of my age. It's probably nothing, but it never hurts to confirm that.

I really really don't want to scare you, but my Aunt waited too long to get a lump checked and 6 months later she passed from breast cancer, but she was older and had been sick from one thing or another most of her life.

I'm begging you, please don't wait. We care about you too much.

G.P.girl
12-11-2003, 10:58 PM
you'd better go to the dotor.. it's better safe than sorry right? you would take one of your babies to the vet just to make sure right? i'm sure they would take you to the doctor if they could.

luckies4me
12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Don't worry, I do plan on making an appointment. ;) I am not scared of doctors, just scared of the pain as my breasts are just very very tender after having breast fed Dylan.

No, I am not pregnant or breastfeeding. I am on my period right now, which is why my breasts are sore. I have had several cysts in my lifetime and had a huge surgery when I was 2 yrs old to remove a tumour that was in my esophagus. I am just scared it's going to hurt. Now knowing that it only takes a few minutes I think I will be fine. I actually like going to the doctors, even if somethings wrong as most of the time it can be fixed. :p

I will make an appointment tomorrow afternoon and then let you all know what happens. I hope it's not a bad cyst like I had before.
:(

shais_mom
12-12-2003, 12:44 AM
Joyce said everything that I would have. I am an xray tech also, but don't do mammograms or ultrasounds, but would have echoed everything she said. Tho she can explain the procedure better than I.
Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and if you need to 'vent' you can PM me.

lynnestankard
12-12-2003, 04:50 AM
Everything everybody else has said applies for me.
Just one little thing caught my attention - you were examining your breasts during a period? They do say it's not the best time to do a breast exam., - so hopefully there will be nothing to worry you - but please keep the appointment and get it checked - fingers crossed xxx

Lynne

anna_66
12-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Everything everybody else has said applies for me.
Just one little thing caught my attention - you were examining your breasts during a period? They do say it's not the best time to do a breast exam., - so hopefully there will be nothing to worry you - but please keep the appointment and get it checked - fingers crossed xxx

Lynne
I'm with Lynne, I hope since it was caught during your cycle that it is nothing. Although I'm glad to hear that your not taking any chances and going to the Dr.
I've had a mammogram & Micky is right...it's a piece of cake!
Let us know what happens.
Anna

Sudilar
12-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Go to the Doctor. She can determine what your next step should be. Hopefully, it will be to wait til your cycle is over and see if it disappears. I will pray that it does. If not, the Doctor will know what is best for you. Hugs. Please let us know.

lbaker
12-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Having a mammogram is not only good to ease your mind at this time but also an excellent idea for the future. It will give the Dr's something to compare the next one you get, and the one after that. Don't wait. Don't delay. Don't do as I do, do as I say.

lovemyshiba
12-12-2003, 07:16 AM
I see you have already decided to go to the doctor, that was my advice too.
I agree with Lynn and Anna though--I always thought you weren't supposed to check during your cycle, but right afterwards.

Not to sound weird, but it's good that you do check--too many young women don't and find out the hard way.

Good luck, and I'll be thinking of you.

ramanth
12-12-2003, 08:22 AM
EEK!! I do hope it's nothing serious and just a product of fibrosystic breasts. *fingers crossed and hugs*

gini
12-12-2003, 11:41 AM
I am glad that you came here right away so you can get reassurance and support.

It is the thought of a mammogram that is scary.......but in actuality, they are not that painful - more uncomfortable for just a moment.

Please - do go to the doctor and please - do keep us posted so we can support you too.

wolfsoul
12-12-2003, 01:24 PM
I hope everything is alright! :) Get it checked out, okay?

primabella
12-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Hopefully it's nothing but please take everyone's advice and plan a trip to the doctors. Good luck, Cass. :)

KYS
12-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Go get the lump checked ASAP.
Keeping fingers crossed it will be nothing.

trayi52
12-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Cass, you go get that lump checked out, I have never had this done myself, and I know that I should at my age.

Anyway, when my youngest daughter got a lump in her breast in the middle of this year, we went to the doctor, she was really frieghtened, by the way, she is like you, her breast are very tender and gets painful too. She had a ultrasound done first, and her breast were so dense, they decided to do a mammogram on her. Everything turned out just fine for her. She said it did not hurt at all. Lin just turned 18 the last part of November. I was very scared myself for her.

You go get that done, the sooner the better. I am thinking about you, Cass.

Tray

Rottieluver45
12-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Ewww! A cyst! I have one too. But I didn`t have anything done to it. I had it checked out b/c we weren`t sure what it was, thank god it was only a cyst!

I hope all goes/went well, and it`s nothing to worry about!

K9karen
12-12-2003, 11:14 PM
Oh My..Sorry I just saw this..as I've been very busy self-diagnosing myself with a painful tummy ailment, not a virus.. SO...I totally understand how you feel. As much as I hated going thru yukky embarassing tests. I bit the bullet and had some done. I'm glad you called your Dr and made an appt.! I, too, have always been tender and cystic. My Dr. always said that during that time of month, the cysts are more pronounced. I can't pretend and say mammios are wonderful and painless. But considering the alternative... I always, always have to have an ultrasound afterwards too, to check for any changes. So far, so good. Please, please don't panic (I know it's hard, the mind plays terrible games). Be positive, it's the best medicine, esp. for Dylan's sake. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. Heck, I just went thru the change (YAY!!!!!) and STILL am always sore...what we women don't go thru... :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
12-13-2003, 01:17 AM
Cass, I'm glad to hear that you're going to go to the doctor to have it checked out. I sure hope that it's nothing serious. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

trayi52
12-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Have any of you heard from Cass? I was wondering if she had found anything out yet???

trayi52
12-13-2003, 02:25 PM
K9karen,
I sort of got forced into the change, had to have a complete overhaul, hysterectomy. I take hormones, do you take hormones?
Seems like I have been on them forever.

Anyway I hope Cass is okay.

Tray

tatsxxx11
12-13-2003, 02:43 PM
Keeping you in my thoughts and preayers, Cass. Hoping for a very encouraging update very soon! You've got a lot of friends here Cass and everyone of us is sending postive thoughts your way. {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

luckies4me
12-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone. :) Sorry I haven't been on much lately but I have been super busy looking for Mystic, getting ready for the Holidays, writing my Christmas cards, taking care of my baby rats and their momma, as well as my baby hammies and their momma, and of course the rest of my gang as well as trying to keep the house clean and Dylan too! :eek:

I haven't been able to get ahold of my doctor yet, but on Monday I am going to call again as I need to get another Vicadin prescription. *sigh* As of right now, I can barely feel it anymore, and I think it was because I was on my period. I did not know I wasn't supposed to check during my period. :o Now I know. OOPS!

I will update again once I find out. But I do need to go just to talk about my soreness in my breasts and especially my right nipple, as sometimes it gets knumb and stings. So.........I think maybe I have an infection, and then I can check this lump thing out at the same time. I am not particuarly fond of my boobies.:o

slick
12-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I am not particuarly fond of my boobies.:o
Well, who is??? :D Don't mean to make light of a serious subject but I'm glad you posted this update. Please let us know what the doctor says. We care about you.

Hugs....

trayi52
12-13-2003, 10:46 PM
What a relief to finally hear from you, I have been watching and waiting to hear how you were doing. I am one of those mothers that just go crazy if I don't know what is going on healthwise.

Please keep us informed. :)

Kirsten
12-14-2003, 05:20 AM
I hope it's nothing serious!

When your breasts hurt a lot, especially before you get your period, it could be you have mastopathy. This also causes some lumps sometimes, but it's NO cancer, it's just painful. I have that too, for many years. BTW, I will also have a mammography on Tuesday!

Please let us know what the doctor says! I wish you a lot of luck, and please keep us informed!

Kirsten

countrycowgirl
12-14-2003, 01:54 PM
im glad you're going to the docter. my dad had cancer surgery on thursday:(i just got back from seeing him and read your post. his got worse because he got misdignosed and it took forever for us to find out what it was anyways its better to go then be sorry

K9karen
12-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Cass..I don't mean to snicker, but everytime I look in the mirror and see what "father time" has done to me, I cringe :eek: Whatever happened to "perky?" I'm going to just have to call, Extreme Makeover!!! :D :rolleyes: You notice that "Father Time" is of the male persuasion..no female would EVER to that!! Anyway..when you call on Monday, make sure the girls on the other line do NOT give you the runaround. Make sure you tell them it is an EMERGENCY, cause I'll tell you what...I had to do that, truthfully, on a few occassiosn and there IS time to "fit you in", believe me. If you run into a problem, insist that the doctor call you back ASAP. it is not the girls' decision to make..I know they are just doing their jobs, but you'll have to be insistant!
Tray..Nope..no hormones. I decided that the change is a part of life and I can live with the hot flashes (running outside with no coat in winter and ice on my wrists and face, whilst jumping for joy.."spigots are OFF") I have enough problems without more pills, so I just bit the bullet and accepted it. After surgeries in the past, I was so happy, I didn't care! I love kids, but it wasn't meant to be, so that's OK to. My heart is full of love for my niece, furkids and my friends' kids and furkids. Whew!

trayi52
12-14-2003, 07:19 PM
K9karen, you are so right, Cass your young, hold on to that for as long as you can. K9karen, when you go for that extreme makeover,don't forget to throw my name in the hat, maybe they will pick both of us. I had a complete hysterectomy, and if I hadn't took my hormones, I probably would have had my husband killed.LOL. He always know when it time for my shot, I would just tell him, Jimmy, I hate you, and he would rush me to the doctors office to get the shot. I have started taking pills now, I am doing that for the safety of my husband.:D :D ;) ;)

Cass, you shouldn't be worried about how you look as I said above you have youth on your side. I am afraid I am on the other side of youth. With Three kids, and four grandkids, age seems to have caught up with me faster than I wanted it to.

You take care of yourself, and please keep us informed about what the doctor says. As you can see, you have so many here that really care about you. Always get your checkups, and don't put them off. :)

joycenalex
12-16-2003, 08:12 PM
update please!;)

trayi52
12-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Yeah, we are still waiting over here for an update, where are you?? You better be at the doctors.;) :)