PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice.....Don't know what to say..

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-11-2003, 03:46 PM
My very very good friend has a smooth haired border collie and she wants to breed her with a Aussie x Border Collie so she can sell the pups for 50$ each because where she is there's a lot of cows and people need the herding dogs......I don't think it would be very good for her to breed her dog, because, you know, it would just add to the population. But, then she said after she sells the puppies......she's gonna spay her with the money.......so, I don't know what to tell her..................

PS. I would never breed a dog :eek:

Karen
12-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Call local shelters/ contact Border Collie rescue societies, and then tell how many herding breed mixes you found that are available for adoption. Then ask her how she'd like to have those deaths on her conscience.

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-11-2003, 07:20 PM
Please people! What would you say Kfamr? if um, let's see.......wolfsoul was gonna breed timber to a rottie! What would you tell her? Any advice! I'm desperate! :( :( :( :( :eek: :( :( :(

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Help! :( :( Think of the puppies!

Dogz
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Call local shelters/ contact Border Collie rescue societies, and then tell how many herding breed mixes you found that are available for adoption. Then ask her how she'd like to have those deaths on her conscience.

I think I will agree with Karen on this one. Just don't let her breed her dog. Maybe she can find a different way to get her dog spayed.

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-11-2003, 09:59 PM
I know, but, I can't just, not let her breed her dog, it's not my dog! How do I tell her without hurting her feelings????????????? :( :( :( :confused: :( :( I don't know what to say to her............she doesn't understand how I feel about dogs........:( :( :( :(

Karen
12-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Why not do what I suggested????

GoldenRetrLuver
12-11-2003, 10:13 PM
If she is really your friend, she would LISTEN to what you have to say. And, as a friend she should take into consideration what you say. I would go up to her and explain to her about Backyard Breeders, Puppymills, all of the dogs at the animal shelter, etc...And she should NOT want to be breeding if it is esspecially a mixed breed dog! Don't worry about hurting her feelings, do it for the puppies, and all the millions of "unwanted" dogs in the world.

Oh, and convince her to get her dog spayed!

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by *FlatCoatsRule*
Please people! What would you say Kfamr? if um, let's see.......wolfsoul was gonna breed timber to a rottie! What would you tell her? Any advice! I'm desperate! :( :( :( :( :eek: :( :( :(

:confused:

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Karen

That is what I would do.

Fox-Gal
12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Is she doing it only to get her dog spayed? Tell her to call around find discount spaying, try the SPCA. I know around here it's only $20 to get it done through them.

You have to somehow make her understand that there is other ways to go then to bring Puppys into the word, just so she can afford to have her dog spayed.

And at $50 a pup she wont make any money....before you sell a pup it has to have a vet check first. There goes the money she just made. Then she has to feed the puppies till old enough to be sold. If she adds it all up, I bet she see that it's not going to work.

I had to take in an abused pregant dog a few years ago, I sold her puppies for $50 also. It covered just my bills, I made no money off any of the pups. There was 12 puppies and that was one big vet bill.

Tonya
12-11-2003, 10:45 PM
I don't have a *huge* problem with breeding, but I feel that inexperienced breeding ESPECIALLY cross breeding, is just ridiculous. I hope you are able to talk your friend out of it. Karen's advice sounds great!

Tonya
12-11-2003, 10:48 PM
BTW, mention to her that I live in a big farming area. Everyone wants and needs farm dogs. I had a queensland heeler a few years back (Ricky) that I was desperatly trying to rehome. He was one of the most beautiful cattle dogs I'd ever seen. -Perfect black to the skin spots, etc... I couldn't get him a home for the life of me. I started him at $100, down to $50...I thought I was going to have to pay someone to take him. (joke!) Fortunatly, I finally found a farmer that was dying for a dog like Ricky. He got sent to an awesome home. But there was no money in it!

andrea_NMAggie
12-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Hmmm...call me crazy, but I think Karen hit the nail right on the head. (take her advice...its GOOD advice.)

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-12-2003, 10:27 PM
Hmmm...call me crazy, but I think Karen hit the nail right on the head. (take her advice...its GOOD advice.)

Ok, I think I'm gonna do just that! And GoldenRetrLuver, your right, if she really is my good friend, she'll sit down and listen to what i have to say. =) Thanks Karen!
PS. I just wanted more ideas, and what i said about Kafamr and Wolfsoul was just and i. e. ;)

tikeyas_mom
12-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by *FlatCoatsRule*

Ok, I think I'm gonna do just that! And GoldenRetrLuver, your right, if she really is my good friend, she'll sit down and listen to what i have to say. =) Thanks Karen!
PS. I just wanted more ideas, and what i said about Kafamr and Wolfsoul was just and i. e. ;)

your Example didnt make much sence considering Timber is spayed and jordan would never breed a mutt.

Kfamr
12-13-2003, 01:32 AM
I don't think she was meaning that Jordan would. It just just an example. :rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
12-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I don't think she was meaning that Jordan would. It just just an example. :rolleyes:

Why not take anyone eles info though?? That makes no sence, why just ask for your specific info on the subject, when you never even posted??

-You could have just pmed Kayann, *FlatCoatsRule*.

Kfamr
12-13-2003, 01:36 AM
She never said she wasn't taking anyone else's info, she was just making a story up or a plotline to see what I thought of it I guess. She was oepn to all suggestions/advice. Not just mine.

Why does it matter anyways? :rolleyes:

GoldenRetrLuver
12-13-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
Why not take anyone eles info though?? That makes no sence, why just ask for your specific info on the subject, when you never even posted??

-You could have just pmed Kayann, *FlatCoatsRule*.

Huh? :confused:
She was just using it as an example. Why would it matter who she used as an example?

tikeyas_mom
12-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
She never said she wasn't taking anyone else's info, she was just making a story up or a plotline to see what I thought of it I guess. She was oepn to all suggestions/advice. Not just mine.

Why does it matter anyways? :rolleyes:

it just bothered me that she used one of my best friends dogs in an example that was not close to being true. But forget it, i was just asking why she was specifically asking for your adivse.

Kfamr
12-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Aha, Ok. Whatever you say. :confused:

GoldenRetrLuver
12-13-2003, 01:42 AM
I'm confused by the whole thing...man, I need sleep. :p

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-13-2003, 01:50 PM
it just bothered me that she used one of my best friends dogs in an example that was not close to being true. But forget it, i was just asking why she was specifically asking for your adivse.

Sorry! I didn't mean to cause a fight, I wasn't asking for JUST her advice, that was just an example of how it is with my friend and me because I was pretty sure you guys are friends right? I wanted anybodys advice, sorry ='(:( Can you guys forgive me?