PDA

View Full Version : What are your cats afraid of?

Lallypop11
12-11-2003, 01:55 PM
It seems like cats are afraid of the most random things, what are your cats afraid of?

Mine are afraid of:

Bubby - Tin foil sheets, the spray bottle (when he's bad), knocks on the door, men he's never met before with loud voices

Priss - She's not afraid of the vacuum really anymore, she wouldn't come out from under the bed when we got our ceiling fans installed (THAT was quite an ordeal), the Pur water filter (because it's new)

Lucky - the vacuum

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
None of my cats like being around me with the hairdryer too but I don't think they are AFRAID of it.

:D :D :D

Craftlady
12-11-2003, 02:04 PM
All three run when they see the squirt bottle. :)

Skinny and Butterscotch run when they see the vaccume cleaner. Notice the female kitty (Thumper) doesn't run. Must be a "guy" thing. :D

slick
12-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Max:
Spiders
Any flying insect
wind (I mean the wind outside, not flatulence)
vaccum
brooms
men in big shoes
loud buzzers
Yup, he's pretty much a wimp....

Speckles:
nothing except if the vaccum gets too close to her

catlover4ever
12-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Tigger is afraid of the vacuum, but she has gotten better over the years.

Smokey does not seem to be afraid of anything, he is so easy going and laid back.

Mystic and Abner are both scardy cats....they run from the door bell, anyone (including me) at the door, loud sounds.

One day Mystic was at the deck door and the UPS man was coming to the side door as she was just coming into the kitchen, well she flipped up in the air, came down in her dish of dry cat food, sent that flying through the kitchen, ran my husband over as she flew upstairs and hid under the bed.

Tucker is petrified of the cat carriers. I truely believe that someone abused her in one of these carriers. I have NEVER had a cat react the way she does to just the site of them.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by slick
Max:
Spiders
Any flying insect
wind (I mean the wind outside, not flatulence)

Only Slick would feel the need to clarify that. ;) :D ;) :D :p

Tubby:
Nothing

Peanut:
Everything
But that's why she likes her little housie so much. When she's scared she runs to her house where she's safe and sound. :D

Russian Blue
12-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by slick
Max: wind (I mean the wind outside, not flatulence)

I couldn't stop laughing at that one! :D
.................................................. .............

Nakita is sometimes scared of the phone ringing if she's in the same room. But she loves when people knock on the front door! Go figure!

She's not scared of the vacuum, but I think she just doesn't like how loud it is. But she loves the Swiffer! She will help me Swiffer anyday! ;)

Oh yeah, any kids who are short in stature. We had some friends over and totally scared of the kids if they stood up! When they sat down, she would come over and smell them, but she was gone in a flash if the kid stood up!

Felicia's Mom
12-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Felicia: 1. any person except me.
2. the vacuum (even the carpet sweeper).

Beau: 1. The vacuum

Thats all I can think of right now.

Barbara
12-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Filou: when auntie Sara (Edwina's Secretary) picks him up:D

Tigris: the evil vacuum cleaner, someone turning a newspaper page, a human sneezing -you name it- he's afraid:D

Desert Arabian
12-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Sammy: strangers when he is outside of home...like when we are at he pet store hates other people. People in our house he loves. Other than that...NOTHING!

Dudley: the door bell, knocking on the door, all men, my dad, me, any loud noise, sudden movement, just about everything.

sirrahbed
12-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Vacuum and loud Thunder...not sure about Dylan yet.

catnapper
12-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Why aren'tmy cats afraid of anything? The closest thing I could think of was the snow falling off the roof yesterday with a big thump that left Allen unnerved for two minutes!

What they are NOT afraid of:
My Xacto knife while I'm trying to use it.
Any razor for that matter.
running under a huge piece of glass when I'm trying to lay it on a picture I'm framing. I shooed him away in just enough time to get him out of the way before I broke the bleeping thing!
Chewing the Christmas lights (don't they know they can get electrocuted?)
There's more death defying stunts, but I can't think of them now. Why oh why is it the dog that is afraid of everything and the cats fear nothing?

:)

Pam
12-11-2003, 04:29 PM
As my two are getting older they seem to be finally getting a little braver. Trevor pretty much isn't afraid of anything. He will leave the room if the vacuum cleaner or the hair dryer is being used but I think at this point it is more out of disgust for me disturbing his peace. Andy is afraid when people knock on the door. He quickly runs down to the basement and if he recognizes the voice he comes right back up. If not he will wait until "the voice" leaves. I have seen him wait for over 7 hrs. :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
12-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Filou: when auntie Sara (Edwina's Secretary) picks him up pouts

Let's see...other than the ususal cat stuff...sudden moves, vaccums...

Eddie -- Edwina -- sometimes

Edwina -- Eddie -- sometimes and my mother....which earns me no end of grief!

CatDad
12-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Let's see.....

Bob - He is so laid he is really scared of very little. He is nervous around new people at first, but will warm up quickly. beyond that the vaccums will make him look, but if he is not on the floor I can vaccum right next to him.

Joey - Scared of everyting.:)

shais_mom
12-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Kylie :
the evil sweeper
thunder
kids
loud noise of anykind.

Nomilynn
12-12-2003, 01:17 AM
All of them:
the squirt bottle ;)
thunder
coffee grinder

Nutmeg:
vacuum

Tilly:
when Nathan growls at her

Bassett:
plastic bags
vacuum

catmandu
12-12-2003, 08:48 AM
The Vacuum Cleaner , the Washing Machine , the Trucks outside. Oddly when one Cat is Nervous and runs , then they all RUN!

catcrazylady
12-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Good question and interesting answers.

Sammy- TERRIFIED of thunder.
Leroy- Not smart enough to know fear!
Stubby- Fearless but avoids strangers.
Lucky- Absolutely everything and Maggie Sue.
Peanut Butter- Strangers, loud noises, and Maggie Sue.
Pete- Strangers and Maggie Sue.
Pepper Jack- Most everything and Maggie Sue.
Pervy- Strangers and Maggie Sue.
Maggie Sue- Her daddy.

prechrswife
12-12-2003, 09:22 AM
All 3 of ours are afraid of the vacuum.

Chloe and Samson are afraid of the squirt bottle.

Saphirah is afraid of the vet.

Samson is afraid of anyone who comes into our house that is not my husband or me. (We wonder if some people think we are pulling their leg when we say we have 3 cats. The girl who is going to check in on them while we are gone for Christmas came to get instructions yesterday. I finally had to pull out the photo album and show her a picture of Samson. He crawled into our box spring and would NOT come out.:) --What's really bad is that she has been in our house several times before.)

Tonya
12-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Raven:

Everything under the sun.

Ron:

Not being fed.

sirrahbed
12-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Good question and interesting answers.

Sammy- TERRIFIED of thunder.
Leroy- Not smart enough to know fear!
Stubby- Fearless but avoids strangers.
Lucky- Absolutely everything and Maggie Sue.
Peanut Butter- Strangers, loud noises, and Maggie Sue.
Pete- Strangers and Maggie Sue.
Pepper Jack- Most everything and Maggie Sue.
Pervy- Strangers and Maggie Sue.
Maggie Sue- Her daddy.

Gee - tell us MORE about Maggie Sue....:eek: :eek:

catcrazylady
12-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Maggie Sue is a B%&*H!! Sorry but I can't think of any other words to express it! She constantly growls like dog at all the kitties. She and Stubby have had many fur flying battles to maintain the female queen position! Since little Stubby will fight with anything that tries her there has never been an absolute Queen determined! They just avoid each other now.
Just an example: Pete was eating one evening. He was the only one at the plate when Maggie Sue walked in. Now, there four food bowls in the kitchen, but Maggie walks up to the plate where Pete is eating.
Picture this...Pete head down in the food senses that someone else is there. Mouth full of food he rolls his eyes upward to see who it is. Realizes it's Maggie and sort of freezes. Maggie looks at him and growls. Pete spits his piece of food about three feet across the kitchen and takes off running!!! I couldn't help him because I was laughing so hard I almost wet my pants!!:D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
That is just one example of the Maggie Sue tortitude!!

sirrahbed
12-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

Picture this...Pete head down in the food senses that someone else is there. Mouth full of food he rolls his eyes upward to see who it is. Realizes it's Maggie and sort of freezes. Maggie looks at him and growls. Pete spits his piece of food about three feet across the kitchen and takes off running!!!

:eek: Poor Pete!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/p379c00e1571b53c4ade2a476e1550b7d/fa5ff0e8.jpg

Maggie Sue did THAT to HIM??? Wow, she's a feisty one!! Oh please give Pete some extra hugs and scratches from Sirrahbed!!

cutie_chica
12-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Princess Is Scared Of The Vaccum, Plastic Bags and Strange People.

Tony Is Scared Of The Vaccum and Plastic Bags, But when he gets scared, once he is done hiding he will act all tough and attack whatever scared him

Patches is scared of the Vaccum and air freshner lol

Its been a while since i have been on here, Over a year, since then I have 2 more kitties!! I will have pictures of them A.S.A.P! But Can Someone tell me how To Do it?????? E-MAIL ME PLEASE! [email protected]

2kitties
12-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Rocky (God forgive me for saying this) is really too stupid to be afraid of anything. He is interested in checking out anything and anyone.
Taz is very clever and skittish. He has always been wary of everything.

trayi52
12-13-2003, 01:16 AM
Grover is afraid of very loud noises outside, and she is afraid of riding in the car, but she likes it in a pet carrier.

She is afraid of heights, oops no she is not afraid of heights, she likes climbing walls, so that is out.

Sometimes she hides behind my desk, if she hears somebody coming in the door.

Stubby is not afraid of anything except the our dog Dana.

amoore
12-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Sunny has a fear of vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, and hail.

Lately, he complains constantly while riding in a car. It seems to distress him.

shais_mom
12-17-2003, 06:33 AM
I was sweeping this morning and Kylie started something new.
She hissed at the sweeper.
:rolleyes:
She hadn't done THAT before! She usually just runs for cover!

Lerah021399
12-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Ali isn't scared of much, but she is scared of plastic bags and Aluminum foil (when you are taking it out of the box, not when it's crumpled up...must be the noise). She used to be terrified of the vacuum cleaner, but I guess she finally figured out that it wasn't going to eat her.

Jack is scared of a lot of things: vacuum cleaner, people that he doesn't know, Little kids, knocks on the door (when someone knocks on the door he growls and runs to hide), any loud noises, when I sneeze (he somehow knows when I'm going to sneeze and he looks at me w/ a scared face and runs for cover)...I know that there is more, I just can't think of them. Unlike Ali, Jack loves plastic bags and will play w/ them for hours (with my supervision, of course).

emily_the_spoiled
12-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Let's see, my household sounds kind of like the crazycatlady ;)

Schnauzi doesn't seem to be afraid of much except the vacuum cleaner.

Tanner is afraid of people when we are outside (on a leash), coffee grinders, the smoke detector and Emily.

Charlie is still a little afraid of humans (he is relatively new to my home), vacuum cleaners, smoke detectors and Emily.

Gay is afraid of everything and everyone, especially Emily.

Bigodinho is afraid of vacuum cleaners and Emily.

Pearl is still getting used to my home, so he seems to be afraid of the other cats, but that is about it (he hasn't been tested with the smoke detector yet :D)

Emily is afraid of vacuum cleaners, coffee grinders, DustBusters, and not being fed. Emily and Maggie Sue must be related some how because they both have the same effect on other cats.