PDA

View Full Version : Almost 1 year since I adopted Buddy!

pitc9
12-11-2003, 01:09 PM
**Warning... this is VERY VERY long! **
sorry
<< FYI... Buddy is the one that is more tan >>

On Dec 21st, it will be one year!!!!!!

It's really a much bigger milestone that just a one year anniversary of his adoption.
I saved Buddy from a kill shelter, he had been dumped off by someone, and was left to fend for himself. It took them two weeks to catch Buddy because he was finding ways to avoid the traps they were setting to catch him. Well... they caught him, and he was scared to death, and they couldn't put him in with the rest of the dogs because he was so afraid of the noise and all. So they made him a bed in a small office/closet type place right near the office and people. There was one man that he felt 100% safe with. His name was Doug.
When I heard about Buddy I went to the shelter the next morning, leash and collar in hand, knowing I was not coming home without him!! So when I asked at the counter about Barry (They named him Barry) they looked at me like I was crazy, asking me if I was sure what dog I was asking about. One even said to me "Do you know he's a basket case?" So I just told them I wanted to see him. They had Doug put a leash on him, (he was the only person that Buddy would let touch him or put a leash on him) and walked him out into a small office where I was waiting….. it was one of the saddest sights I have seen... this BEAUTIFUL GSD, crouching as low to the ground as he could, ears pinned to his head, trying to watch everyone around him. I started crying the second I saw him!
I sat on the floor and he would not come near me, after a little bit, he would sniff my hand and runback to Doug, or run under the desk. But after a little while, I took the leash out of Doug hand, and Buddy came and sat by me. So I asked if I could take him outside (we had a TON of snow at the time) so I took him outside on the leash, and the second he touched the snow was the first time I saw his tail wag! He was so happy to be outside! Then he looked up at me as I was still crying, and tilted his head, as if he was asking why I was crying. Needless to say I took him home, but when I went to get him into my blazer, he wouldn’t jump up into it, so I got up on the seat, and tried pulling him toward me with his leash, he slipped out, and took off running through the woods. I was FREAKING out!!!!!! I ran back inside, yelling for Doug, he took off into the wood, 15 minuets later, we can no longer hear Doug calling his name, I was so afraid if they caught him, that they were not going to let me take him home. Next thing we know, here comes Doug out of the woods with Buddy in his arms!!! He had carried Buddy once he caught him because he didn’t have a leash! (Buddy was 76 lbs at the time!!) So he just put Buddy in my blazer, and off I went. I cried the entire way home. (while he puked 4 times)
So once at home, I showed him where his crate was, and from then on, he never wanted to leave it!! I would sleep on the floor next to him (just naps… not for the night) he didn’t stop shaking for days!! Little by little he would wander further in the house by himself. But once Rick would come home, he would run back into his crate. No one else in the world could pet him, or get close to him … but me! It took 6 months before Buddy would let my hubby put him in his crate!! Once he tried but Buddy came charging out after him, snapping and growling. I was not home to help, so Rick then left him outside and told me to find him another home. I looked for homes for him, (not real hard….hee hee) but then Buddy would seem to come around a little more, and Rick would forgive him, and this happened a few times. We’d have good days, then bad days, and then REAL bad days… so on and so on. Even when it came time to put away the Christmas decorations…. I kept his stocking out so when I found a new home for him I could give it to his new family. Well…I was SOOOO happy to be able to hang that stocking up this year!!! And I never want it anywhere else than in my house!!
As for Buddy and Rick… they both are still learning to get along with each other!!!!
Each day I thank God Rick has been able to hold on and has let Buddy stay with us!! I would love to have Rick work with a trainer with Buddy!! Who knows.... maybe one day they will be great friends!!!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

K9soul
12-11-2003, 01:22 PM
I loved Buddy's story, it truly touched my heart. I'm so very happy for him that he has you for his mom.

I can't think of more adequate words at the moment, other than I was very touched, and thank you for sharing this story.

KYS
12-11-2003, 06:38 PM
OK! You should have warned us, this was a tissue story.

You are Buddy's miracle the day you walked into
that shelter and your eyes met.
Happy 1 year anniversary.

RobiLee
12-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Awww, Angie...I loved hearing about Buddy and your story made me cry. I had to keep wiping my eyes so that I could finish reading it. I'm so glad that it had a happy ending. You tell Rick to hang in there!!! I'm so lucky and glad that I got to meet Buddy at the Dog Park. Sierra also. They are both gorgeous! I remember you telling me Buddy's story then and I couldn't believe it. I just kept looking at him and thinking...why??? He is so beautiful!!!! Why would anyone just desert him??? I don't understand people. Thank god for people like you!

Hugs for you and Buddy...Robin :)

dukedogsmom
12-11-2003, 08:44 PM
He's so lucky to have someone like you. I so hope that Chance can have someone to tell his story one day.

pitc9
12-12-2003, 04:58 AM
Dukedogsmom: Thats what made me tell the story! I had just gotten done getting caught up on his story and I wanted to make sure you all knew there was hope!!!

THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE!!!

anna_66
12-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Buddy's story is so touching, it makes me all teary eyed!

I'm also glad that I was fortunate enough to meet your Buddy, he is a wonderful boy and I'm happy that you get to put his stocking up at you house this year and every year after this!

Happy one year together:D

Cincy'sMom
12-12-2003, 07:04 PM
What a great story!!! Hearingthis after metting Buddy, I can't believe what he went through!! You have done awesome with him!!!

pitc9
12-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful comments!

I am so very glad I found PT, no one else I know understands just how much my pups mean to me!
Most people think I'm insane for putting up with Buddy not liking Rick! But I'd be insane if I didn't!
Thank you all again!

:)

amoore
12-16-2003, 12:00 PM
That was a wonderful story! You saved Buddy's Life! I am so glad he got to stay with you. :)

Logan
12-16-2003, 12:07 PM
I am so glad you reminded us, Angie, of what you and Buddy (and Rick, of course) went through to make this work. You are an angel in my book, and of course, you are Buddy's angel, for life. :)

Happy "Gotcha Day" to Buddy and to you, Angie!!! :)

tatsxxx11
12-16-2003, 04:16 PM
What a beautiful love story, Angie...a 3 hankie for sure:) Thank you so much for sharing your precious Buddy with us:) He is so lucky to have found you; you truly are a life saver!!! And what an angel your Rick is, sticking by him through thick and thin! Hang that stocking high! Buddy's home for Christmas!:) Please give Buddy a big hug for me, ok?? Happy Anniversary, Buddy!:)

Kater
12-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Happy anniversary! And what a wonderful anniversary it is!
Thanks for sharing this heartwarming and inspiring story with all of us. :D
And as Sandra said...Hang that stocking high! ;)