PDA

View Full Version : There's No Place Like Home

Edwina's Secretary
12-11-2003, 10:13 AM
We have a screened porch off our bedroom. The cats love it as they can feel the wind in their fur, smell the fresh air, look down on the bird feeder, and are at eye level with the tree limbs.

This morning Eddie was begging at the door to the porch. My husband didn't want to let him out because it is so cold outside today. I convinced him to let Eddie decide.

Eddie shot out the door and stopped about two feet later. "Meowed" and turned around returning to the warmth of the house just as fast.

Eddie just asked me to try again. Same thing. (He asked if he could sit just inside with the door open. I told him only if he is paying the heating bill.)

So click those ruby slippers three times and say after me.....

CatDad
12-11-2003, 10:42 AM
That is such a cute and well written story, as all of yours are.:) I can just see Eddie wanting to go out and then getting outside and turning around.:) Eddie is at least pratical.

Thanks for the story.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-11-2003, 11:14 AM
:D :D Sounds like he knows he's got it good. :D Eddie you are such a character. :D

Tubby does the same thing with the garage. It's not as bad anymore since we put carpeting out there (not really, just some runner things) and he doesn't immediately get the cold concrete floor on his feet, but after about a minute out there - and nobody joining him - he quickly decides to come right back in. :D

Randi
12-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Eddie, you're a smart boy, you know where it's best - and you have got them trained already. :D

It's been a while since Fister was last out, but he has done exatly the same thing. Having got one of us down to open the door to the outside, he races out to "his" tree, but as soon as he hears the slightest noise, he races back up again. :rolleyes:

Sometimes, he'll stand right on the doorstep - for up to 5 min.trying to decide whether to go out or not, while we're freezing. Have they got us trained or what!!

slick
12-11-2003, 11:50 AM
:D :D :D Here's what Max does.....

On a cold evening he will sit in front of the closed balcony door, look out and meow as loud as he can. If I ignore him, he will keep it up until I open the door. He'll run out, and upon finding that he feet are getting wet and it's cold, will tear inside like a shot in the dark.....

And then 20 min later the silly kitty will do it again........

Sometimes I think he's is a few turds short of a full litterbox.....

Barbara
12-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Could it be that Eddie is a ... I don't dare to say it..... a a a cat maybe???????

Felicia's Mom
12-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the cute story.:)

ramanth
12-11-2003, 12:01 PM
LOL!! Silly Eddie.

My mom calls that the winter revolving door routine.

Sometimes, they'll be at the back door yowling and the minute she opens it and a blast of cold air hits them, they throw it in reverse. Minutes later they are at the front door....same sequence of events... plus a glare from the cat as if it's our fault.
:rolleyes: :p :D

So if the back door has crappy weather, the front door should lead to sunny warm weather... I wish! ;)

lynnestankard
12-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
........... a blast of cold air hits them, they throw it in reverse. Minutes later they are at the front door....same sequence of events... plus a glare from the cat as if it's our fault.
:rolleyes: :p :
So if the back door has crappy weather, the front door should lead to sunny warm weather... I wish! ;)

I don't believe it Kim - that's exactly what these three do!!!
Dan always looks soooo upset I actually feel sorry for the silly sod! :D
Ketchum doesn't mind once he's out - he adores rain and will happily sit on the lawn while he gets soaked through. On coming in - he sits and waits for Meowmie to get 'his' towel and dry him!! :D
(Yes Ketchum.................Coming Ketchum......... food Ketchum?.................... )

Lynne

kimlovescats
12-11-2003, 12:45 PM
tee hee hee ...... My kitties all do the same out my back door to our cat-fenced yard! They beg and beg and finally I say ooooooookkkkkkk (with a sarcastic tone) and within a few minutes they are running back to the door!!!!

You know though, every time I stop and think .... how do the kitties living outside in this cold handle it? I suppose it's what they get accustomed too ... but my spoiled babies would freeze to death!!! :(

catland
12-11-2003, 12:55 PM
we call it the "I-want-in-I-want-out-I-want-in-I-want-out" routine.

Even now that we have a cat flap, they still find that going through the human door to be preferable.

bisi.cat
12-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by catland

Even now that we have a cat flap, they still find that going through the human door to be preferable.

Exactly the same here...maybe they like the idea of having a servant?!:rolleyes:

I really enjoyed Eddie's cute story...and it's true on a cold morning there's nothing like staying in the cosy home watching the freeze outside!!!

catlover4ever
12-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by catland
we call it the "I-want-in-I-want-out-I-want-in-I-want-out" routine.

That is Abner and Mystic's routine. Abbey is not as bad as Mystic is. Mystic will go out on the back deck and within 2 minutes she is back at the door looking to come back in because it is too cold. Abbey is much better, he LOVES the rain and will stay out for hours, then when he is ready to come in he goes to the door, comes in and then runs upstairs to the bathroom for a "buffing" session (he gets dried off).

jenluckenbach
12-12-2003, 05:01 AM
Hee Heee I can just picuture him. :D

Vio&Juni
12-12-2003, 08:43 AM
We have a big balcony and although it has windows, it's still cold in the winter. Pichu and Juni also have this "let-me-out-let-me-in-let-me-out-let-me-in" routine. Sometimes, I just let them for a little longer and when they come in they have cold tails and are particularly snuggly.

catmandu
12-12-2003, 08:46 AM
JJJ3 also has spells of Wander Lust , but once he sees someone , or someone goes by on a Bicycle , then Big , Brave JJJ3 remembers something that he neede to do inside! JJJ3 loves Edwina!