PDA

View Full Version : Cat safety

mitzi
10-04-2000, 09:48 AM
I am very sorry that pretty Callie (a torbie?) had to come to you after a loss.

No one tells people about coyote habits, so they think their cats are safe if it's not dark out.

In AZ, I have mostly seen coyotes hunting at dawn until about two hours AFTER sunrise, but they also hunt in the day. I think people often let their cats out at sunrise (when the cat is banging on the door to go out & hunt,too) and that is when they get nabbed.

In the West, where coyotes are familiar, they even come into towns & cities. In the East, coyotes are also common now, in rural areas. They are not afraid to come right up on your porch, either!

Of course there are many other hazards outside. We have an outside cat we are trying to make stay inside & it is tough, I know. But, sad to say, for many reasons, it just not safe to let one's cat roam freely outside any more.

I hope this will help someone else keep their cat safe.

I am not a native westerner, but it took me less than 6 months to figure ou
I recently moved to a Western state and

goodgold
10-04-2000, 04:33 PM
How unusual that two cats in a row would be selected from Sonora, CA! This little town of 5,000 must be very special indeed! Callie and Ivan will never meet for I live downtown, but I would love to meet Callie myself. Calicos are hard to come by and so beautiful.