PDA

View Full Version : bad trip to the "white coats'!"

Smilla
12-10-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm unable to take Lefty to Texas with me this holiday season, but I did find him a great kennel--it has indoor/outdoor runs, plus he'll be paired with a female "buddy" of a similar size and temperament. He has to be up to date on all of his vaccinations, though, and I had to take him to the vet tonight to get his kennel cough vaccination up to date.

I've mentioned before that he's usually muzzled as a precaution. Tonight he was acting a bit frightened so the tech went and got a muzzle; I slipped it over his nose and he was fine, but I had trouble tightening it. The tech reached over to tighten it, but his hand slipped and he whapped me on the mouth! It hurt a little, but I had to laugh at the horrified look on the tech's face. Lefty, however, was NOT amused--he lunged at the guy, but I held him back. I really thought he was going to find a way to bite with the muzzle on! The tech got the vet to help him administer the vaccine, but they were still having trouble keeping Lefty still. By the time it was all over, Lefty was a shaking mess and there was urine all over the floor. Lefty was completely quiet on the drive home (he usually whines a little).

Lefty may have some "issues," but I don't think I can hold his behavior tonight against him. I feel sorry for him, actually. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make up for such a bad experience, and how long it'll take him to forget it?

K9soul
12-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Poor Lefty. I'd suggest if you want to work on it that you make impromptu visits to the vet's office off and on with Lefty, just to walk in and and maybe get weighed. Bring some treats and maybe try to make it a happy trip that he doesn't associate with unpleasantness. He may never be really relaxed there but perhaps you can help take some of the trauma out of it for him this way.