PDA

View Full Version : Muslim football league.

RICHARD
12-10-2003, 03:36 PM
I saw this on the news the other day.

U.S. National - AP

Muslim Football Team Names Spark Protest
Sun Dec 7,10:36 AM ET

IRVINE, Calif. - It was planned as a way to bring young athletes together for a weekend of fun, but when participants in the Muslim Football tournament started naming their teams Intifada, Soldiers of Allah and Mujahideen, Jewish leaders took offense.

Intifada, "uprising" in Arabic, is the term used by Palestinians for their revolts against Israeli occupation from 1987 to 1993 and over the past three years. The recent intifada has seen numerous suicide bombings by Palestinian militants. Mujahideen means holy warrior.

Rabbi Bernie King, who lives in Irvine, said the teams' names undermined those who worked to have closer relations with Muslims.

"Something like this ... tends to support those in the community who have suspicions about the real intent of Islam," King said.

"What exactly are they honoring here?" asked Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, the Los Angeles-based Jewish human rights organization. "The continued targeting of innocent women and children by homicide bombers deserves to be condemned across the board. It's deeply, deeply disturbing."

One of the Jan. 4 tournament's organizers said the names were meant to show support for Muslims in the Middle East, but also represent football bravado.

"A lot of the kids on our team are from Palestinian origin," said Tarek Shawky, Intifada's 29-year-old captain and quarterback. "We are in solidarity with people in the uprising. It's about human rights and basic freedoms."

Fellow tournament organizer Sabih Khan said he had worried about the names and had asked the teams to change them.

"It bothers me a little bit," said Khan, 18. But, he added: "They were just trying to be cool."

-------------------------

I am sure that all the homicide bombers in the Middle East are really thrilled about being trivialized by having their names and causes associated with an American game.

Brings new meaning to, "go out for a bomb"...

Miss Meow
12-10-2003, 03:55 PM
I'll take the paranoia seriously when Western countries stop calling their sports teams Raiders, Warriors, Destroyers etc.

RICHARD
12-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
I'll take the paranoia seriously when Western countries stop calling their sports teams Raiders, Warriors, Destroyers etc.

http://www.gridlockmag.com/dewey/indians.html

a frandrescher bomb is what is needed in Iraq...

We would only need ear doctors then...

:D

Miss Meow
12-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

a frandrescher bomb is what is needed in Iraq...

We would only need ear doctors then...

:D

I didn't get that until I saw Jeffreydahmer helicopter. Then I went oooooooh, THAT Fran Drescher! :eek:

RICHARD
12-11-2003, 05:30 PM
just thought of this.....

Since football is played with a 'pigskin' (actually a cow leather football) wouldn't the 'thought' of tossing it around be outside their faith?

:confused:

Twisterdog
12-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

Hmmmm .....

While I can empathise with this, to some degree .... aren't a LOT of sports teams named after certain groups of people? Celtics, Patriots, Cowboys, Aztecs, Soldiers, Bishops, Scots, Crusaders, Irish, Matadors, Lumberjacks, Mariners, Senators, Spartans, Trojans, Vikings, Miners, Judges, Knights, Monks, Muskateers, Ladies, etc.

So calling a team the "Indians" is offensive? But calling one the "Celtics" or the "Scots" is not? :confused:

Soledad
12-11-2003, 10:50 PM
It's offensive when that one group of people is treated badly and unrepresented, yet used as some sort of mascot for a sport.

It's about power and balance.

2kitties
12-12-2003, 09:13 AM
So are the Jaguars and Tigers being offensive to animals? What about the automotive industry then.

I think we need to find better things to worry about.:rolleyes:

Soledad
12-12-2003, 10:56 AM
I don't know, if I was an American Indian I think that making sure my people were regarded as something more than just a sports mascot would be kind of high on my list.

RICHARD
12-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Hmmmm .....

While I can empathise with this, to some degree .... aren't a LOT of sports teams named after certain groups of people? Celtics, Patriots, Cowboys, Aztecs, Soldiers, Bishops, Scots, Crusaders, Irish, Matadors, Lumberjacks, Mariners, Senators, Spartans, Trojans , Vikings, Miners, Judges, Knights, Monks, Muskateers, Ladies, etc.

So calling a team the "Indians" is offensive? But calling one the "Celtics" or the "Scots" is not? :confused:

Somehow going to a school where the mascot is a condom REALLY bothers me...:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Soledad
12-12-2003, 11:20 AM
I think what's really important is why in the hell would a team name themselves the SENATORS. Yes, folks, we compromise and filibuster our way towards victory! Because nothing says peak physical condition and unadulterated focus like SENATOR. How exciting...:rolleyes: :D :p

RICHARD
12-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Soledad
I think what's really important is why in the hell would a team name themselves the SENATORS. Yes, folks, we compromise and filibuster our way towards victory! Because nothing says peak physical condition and unadulterated focus like SENATOR. How exciting...:rolleyes: :D :p

not to mention the ugly uniforms.