PDA

View Full Version : Weird growling

Smilla
12-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Hi all,

Last night Lefty began barking at something he heard outside. Jeff and I called him back to the couch, telling him "Nospeak"--we were also laughing at the time, because he'd made these really funny-sounding barks.

Anyway, he settles down between us and we started petting him to get him to calm down. Jeff also hugged him from behind, putting his face close to Lefty's head. Lefty began making these weird growling sounds, but they didn't SOUND angry. Also, if Jeff pulled away he'd turn around like he wanted him to continue petting and being close to him.

We thought maybe he was a little peeved that we had laughed at him, but he didn't seem truly upset. I know they sometimes growl when they play, but this wasn't like that either. He'd been dozing before he started barking and still seemed kind of sleepy. Does a "benign growl" exist that ISN'T a "play growl?"

Hope I've made sense, and thanks for your help!

S

aly
12-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Some dogs like to "talk" more than others do. My Lolly is definately a talker. She growls a lot, but not in a vicious way. Its really cute.

If you guys didn't feel threatened, I wouldn't worry about it. It was probably a friendly conversation growl :D

dukedogsmom
12-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Lots of times, Duke does a happy growl when we rub his ears. I guess it feels really good. I wouldn't worry about it. He was probably just happy.

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 12:10 PM
My Leather is a big talker! If you stop petting her, she'll turn around and go "Rowrrowrrrrrrrr" and start grumbling like an old man. We just say "enough" and she'll make one more protest and stop. :D

Smilla
12-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks, all. Neither of us felt threatened; in fact, similar to what aly said, we both thought it sounded sort of cute and funny. I think we just don't know what to expect from Lefty yet! :)