PDA

View Full Version : Our first pet therapy visit!

binka_nugget
12-09-2003, 08:14 PM
:D My boys made me so proud today. It was our first visit to the senior's home. Both were shy at times but never once barked or jumped on the people. There was even a cat there..Kaedyn's usually crazy about cats but he didn't care when we were there. They got lots of compliments on how well behaved they were and alot of them asked if Kai was the father of Kaedyn (they were also called Lassie half a dozen times lol). :D Great fun. I can't wait till we go again.

Amber
12-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Aww!! That sounds like fun!! Good job Boys!! or should I say Lassies? lol jk. I have always wanted to do that with Katie. It would be neat!

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Oh good job boys! You should be proud for holding back your temptations lol... I have wanted to do that for like 2 years now! but they're stillllllllllll working on getting the group together :rolleyes: :eek: I can't wait till we actually get to go :rolleyes:

Shelteez2
12-09-2003, 11:26 PM
That sounds like fun. I've always wanted to do that, but couldn't make enough of a commitment for me to actually join. Did you do it through any special group? Did you have to pass any sort of temperment test? One day I think I'll do it with Clipse, as he just loves to be petted, by anyone. :)

binka_nugget
12-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
That sounds like fun. I've always wanted to do that, but couldn't make enough of a commitment for me to actually join. Did you do it through any special group? Did you have to pass any sort of temperment test? One day I think I'll do it with Clipse, as he just loves to be petted, by anyone. :)

For this particular place, they didn't require any temperament testing done. I'm on the waiting list to get them evaluated sometime in 2004..just so we'll be able to go to a closer place (that requires the testing done).

wolf_Q
12-10-2003, 12:17 AM
That's great!! I'm glad it went well! :)

I've thought about getting involved with that, I'm just not sure if I have time at the moment to do the classes and get certified. Plus, Nebo's shy with strangers sometimes so I don't know if he'd enjoy it.

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Glad to hear everything went well! :D Good dogs! I hope that's something I can get into when I'm older, but with a catahoula, I don't know what the chances are lol.

tikeyas_mom
12-10-2003, 12:36 AM
wow you always find cool jobs ashley!! :kicks ashley in the butt: lol

primabella
12-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Glad the boys behaved and you guys had such a good time. :) I have thought about getting Mickey into this but never looked into it.

K9soul
12-10-2003, 03:04 PM
That's wonderful. I used to take my collies to a local nursing home for pet therapy. The residents adored them. The hardest part was that the heat was turned up pretty high there for the residents and the dogs and I would get pretty warm. One time they had a picture of Cody and a resident in their news letter and they sent me a copy. I have always treasured the experience.

anna_66
12-10-2003, 04:34 PM
How wonderful, it sounds like they had a good time:)

micki76
12-10-2003, 05:13 PM
So glad things went well. I know that means so much to people in institutions like that.

My sister and I used to take her Shih Tzu, Lucy to the local nursing home. Lucy had a little "show" that she would put on for the residences. They really enjoyed it and so did we. She was much more tolerable of strangers than any of my 3.

Cincy'sMom
12-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Glad to hear you and your pups enjoy your visit!

We got involved with Therapy Dog about a year ago (Cincy started classes last January). All three of our are now registered with TDI and have started doing visits.

Fiachra
12-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Awesome!!!! Great Job Kai & Kaedyn!!!

dukedogsmom
12-10-2003, 06:03 PM
That's great! I think Duke would be good at it, too. He sort of did it while my Grandmaw was alive. She was in a nursing home and I'd take him there to visit and some of the other people would pet him. It's a very rewarding thing and I can see why you're proud of your dogs.

KYS
12-10-2003, 06:23 PM
I think that is wonderful.
Think of all the happiness you and your pups bring
to others.