PDA

View Full Version : Blue Merle Pomeranians

Tonya
12-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Check em out! Boy, is is tempting!

I removed the pictures just to be safe. (Per Karen's post) If you search under google, you'll find lots of pics!

GoldenRetrLuver
12-08-2003, 09:43 PM
:eek:

I've never heard of blue merle poms!

Kfamr
12-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Awwwww! those are sooo cute. In a way, they look like tiny Aussies.

And I hope you don't get mad at me for this, but you might want to check this thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39533) out.

FurMomx6
12-08-2003, 09:45 PM
How beautiful!! I've never seen a merle pom before.

Tonya
12-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Kfmar. I thought about that before I posted. I didn't see any copyrights on the site, so I decided to share them afterall. They are too cute not too. I would never have shared them if there was a copyright.

shais_mom
12-08-2003, 11:13 PM
I have never seen those before!! They are adorable!!!

tikeyas_mom
12-08-2003, 11:46 PM
AWWW they are soo cute!!! I have never seen a blue or red merle pom befor with blue eyes, or without!! they are soo weired!!!! wow!!... who is the breeder??

Tonya
12-08-2003, 11:48 PM
There's a few breeders out there. Ted actually has Merle in his family; that's what prompted me to search. They are pretty expensive; 1k and up.

tikeyas_mom
12-08-2003, 11:49 PM
1 k??? I am guessing that it slang for 1 grand lol.

Tonya
12-08-2003, 11:50 PM
It's Dusty's mini-me!

jazzcat
12-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Wow, beautiful. I 've never seen that before!

tikeyas_mom
12-08-2003, 11:51 PM
lmao no kidding ;)...

I love merle dogs!! I am a lil more attracted to the red merles befor the blues for some reason.. humm :confused:. meh must just be my taste in pups ;).

jenfer
12-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Those are adorable! I want them! :D

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Wow I didn't know of such a thing......very interesting.....1k! You've GOT to be kidding me! :eek: :eek: :confused:

wolfsoul
12-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Awww aren't they cute! :D

Jynnelle, that's cool cuz I'm getting a red merle catahoula lol.

Hey, what's 1 K? Is that one thousand? I was thinking about some GSD breeders in Vancouver, but decided against when I saw they charge $1200!

Tonya
12-09-2003, 11:25 PM
1k is $1000. You can get one with merle bloodlines for around $800, but to really make it worthwhile, you have to spend at least $1000.

tikeyas_mom
12-10-2003, 12:51 AM
why?? do you think that the more money the breeder charges the better the breeder is?? I have seen alot of breeders over charge IMO..

Kfamr
12-10-2003, 02:34 AM
I think it's disgusting breeders charge so much. You shouldn't have to pay over $100 to get a dog, unless they're going to fully potty train, train it not to tear things up, and every trick in the book by the time you plan to buy it.

There's plenty of good dogs, if not better, in the shelter for as low as $15, plus you save a life and a soul. :)

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 10:11 AM
I think $1000 is over pricing...I'm only paying $600 for my catahoula, plus another $100-200 for shipping. I think that's a very fair price for a good dog. I want to get a GSD in the future as well, but I can't find a breeder in my area that doesn't charge so much. The one in Vancouver charges $1200! Imagine the costs after I buy toys and food etc, and then they make me pay $1200? :( I'm looking in to another breeder in Salmon Arm.

EssTer
12-10-2003, 10:54 AM
I canæt find any blue merle pomeranian photo in google :(

Foam
12-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Me either.
What do you search for?

Foam
12-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Nevermind
OH those are so adorable! So fluffy, and cute. :)

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Look at some brindles here: http://www.americanpomeranianclub.org/brindle.html

green_chameleon_girl
12-10-2003, 11:53 AM
:eek: :eek: :D WOW there so pretttty:D:eek: :eek:

Kfamr
12-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I think that's a very fair price for a good dog.

PLENTY of good dogs are in the shelters, for MUCH less than what breeders charge. :)

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
True, but I still think that 600 is a good price. I don't believe I'd pay anything higher than $850.

cali
12-10-2003, 12:43 PM
I would not pay more then $300 and even that is quit a bit, happy was $200 and misty was $100, Blair was free. some of the prices breeders charge are just rediculous someone was advertising mutts in the paper they wnated $500 for mixed breeds, I woul dnot pay that much for a pur bred for heaven sakes, and I know many people who say $400 is a HUGE stretch for a mutt :) yes the breeders do have to pay for a lot but $1000? I dont think so.:rolleyes:

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Well, when you're getting from a reputable breeder, I think that 500-850 or so is a good price. After all, my breeder feeds expensive foods, she pays to have all the dogs checked, she gets every puppy in a litter including the mother checked for any deafness (which is very expensive) etc. It all adds up.

shais_mom
12-11-2003, 12:42 AM
. I think that's a very fair price for a good dog. I want to get a GSD in the future as well, but I can't find a breeder in my area that doesn't charge so much. The one in Vancouver charges $1200! Imagine the costs after I buy toys and food etc, and then they make me pay $1200? :( I'm looking in to another breeder in Salmon Arm.

I know you don't mean this to be, but I find this offensive. There are a LOT of good dogs out there that you can find w/o paying for them at all. Stray, homeless dogs, shelter dogs, and free puppies (not advocating BYB just using it as an example)
My greyhound cost me around $50 and was the best and sweetest dog I could have asked for. My Keegan didn't cost me anything and she is just as registered as a $1000 dog would be, tho she might not have the 'champion' behind her name, I don't care. IMHO unless you intend to show and be a responsible breeder paying that much for a dog is ridiculous. I know you aren't going to love it any more or any less then you would if you didn't pay that much. But I also understand that the CLD is rarer in Canada then in the States and if you have your heart set on that dog you will have to pay. But just b/c you pay that much, doesn't mean you are getting a 'good' dog.

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
But just b/c you pay that much, doesn't mean you are getting a 'good' dog.

Exactly.

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I know you don't mean this to be, but I find this offensive. There are a LOT of good dogs out there that you can find w/o paying for them at all. Stray, homeless dogs, shelter dogs, and free puppies (not advocating BYB just using it as an example)
My greyhound cost me around $50 and was the best and sweetest dog I could have asked for. My Keegan didn't cost me anything and she is just as registered as a $1000 dog would be, tho she might not have the 'champion' behind her name, I don't care. IMHO unless you intend to show and be a responsible breeder paying that much for a dog is ridiculous. I know you aren't going to love it any more or any less then you would if you didn't pay that much. But I also understand that the CLD is rarer in Canada then in the States and if you have your heart set on that dog you will have to pay. But just b/c you pay that much, doesn't mean you are getting a 'good' dog.
I never said I was going to pay that much. I said I would probably never pay anything over $850, and that 600-850 is a good price. And yes, I hopefully do plan on showing while my dog is only a puppy. What's wrong with paying a higher price for a dog? I never said I'm not buying from a shelter, I just won't buy my dogs from shelters. And yes, paying a high price does mean I'll get a good dog, just as paying a lower price does. There's no such thing as a bad dog.

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 01:04 AM
I never said I'm not buying from a shelter, I just won't buy my dogs from shelters.

Huh....?
:confused:

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 10:01 AM
If I ever get a cat, it will be from a shelter, I'm going to get rats from a shelter...etc. However, most of the animals I get from shelters I'll be rehoming.

shais_mom
12-11-2003, 12:21 PM
ummmmmmmmmm ok
This thread has been turned into the debate of shelter vs. buying.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a purebred from a breeder. The only reason why I have Keegan is b/c a friend of mine gave her to me, after my greyhound died.
My first dog was a purebred but I got her from the shelter.
I think shelter dogs can make better pets b/c they appreciate what you are giving them. Sounds odd yes but....... true. Keegan has been spoiled since day one and would have no idea what to do on the street. Kinda like a kid that gets everything handed to them.
I find that buying other pets from shelters but not dogs slightly hypocritical. And it sure makes a lot more work for those people like our own Aly who have dedicated their lives to homeless pets.
Just my 2 cents and IMHO.

aly
12-11-2003, 12:38 PM

My first dog was a purebred but I got her from the shelter.
I think shelter dogs can make better pets b/c they appreciate what you are giving them. Sounds odd yes but....... true.

I would not trade anything in the world for the look in my dogs' eyes after I took them out of the shelter. There is an extremely special bond between us because of it. I am sitting here sobbing just thinking about it.

I never said I'm not buying from a shelter, I just won't buy my dogs from shelters.

I'm not here to criticize or judge, and I don't have anything against responsible breeders, but I find it hurtful that you would not get a dog from a shelter, ever. And the other animals you get from the shelter, you'll rehome? You can get purebred puppies from shelters too, not just breeders.

I'm not trying to start an argument. But I've worn myself ragged over the years devoting myself to the shelters and rescue groups here. I've had relationships suffer, school grades suffer, and my health suffer due to how hard I'm trying to get these poor homeless animals into homes. Its just disheartening to keep hearing about people letting their animals have babies, etc etc etc. Blah, I'm going way off topic now. :(

shais_mom
12-11-2003, 12:43 PM
I have tears in my eyes reading your post Aly, I know exactly how you feel, well at least when it comes to the shelter dog part, not the other stuff :( My Shaianne and I were the same thing, we could look at each other and she just knew I needed her. The day she died, she jumped off the bed and looked at me and I just knew something wasn't right, I was just in denial.
But I wouldn't trade those 2 years for anything.

luckies4me
12-11-2003, 12:47 PM
If I ever get a cat, it will be from a shelter, I'm going to get rats from a shelter...etc. However, most of the animals I get from shelters I'll be rehoming.

Why would you adopt an animal from a shelter just to find it a new home? Why don't you just leave them for someone who really wants them, and will not rehome them, and will keep them for the rest of their lives instead of causing more stress from being adopted and then abandoned once again? :confused:

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me

Why would you adopt an animal from a shelter just to find it a new home? Why don't you just leave them for someone who really wants them, and will not rehome them, and will keep them for the rest of their lives instead of causing more stress from being adopted and then abandoned once again? :confused:
The shelter is very cruel, and I can't bear to see the animals in there. They sell rats as feeders as long as they can get rid of them. You yourself rescue and rehome, don't you? I'm going to have a small rescue, and I'm going to actuyally treat the animals with kindness unlike the terrible shelter that even breeds puppies.

I'm not here to criticize or judge, and I don't have anything against responsible breeders, but I find it hurtful that you would not get a dog from a shelter, ever. And the other animals you get from the shelter, you'll rehome? You can get purebred puppies from shelters too, not just breeders.
I know you can get purebred dogs from shelters. But I want to get my dogs from reputable breeders. I already have one breeder lined up, and I'm looking into two others for my second dog. If I ever get dogs after that, then I will go to a shelter, but for these two I just want to go to a good breeder.

What's suddenly wrong with reputable breeders? I'm going to get a cat from a shelter and some rats...

luckies4me
12-11-2003, 01:55 PM
The shelter is very cruel, and I can't bear to see the animals in there. They sell rats as feeders as long as they can get rid of them. You yourself rescue and rehome, don't you? I'm going to have a small rescue, and I'm going to actuyally treat the animals with kindness unlike the terrible shelter that even breeds puppies.

Yes I rescue and rehome sometimes, but most of the time I keep the animals. I can't help it. :o It just sounded as if they were being adopted, but if you are truly doing good for these animals then that's great. It just sounded a bit odd, understand? Can you report the shelter or something?

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 01:58 PM
So you can't stand to see the cats and rats in there, but you can stand to see the dogs, which you would never adopt?

luckies4me
12-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
So you can't stand to see the cats and rats in there, but you can stand to see the dogs, which you would never adopt?

I can't bear to see any animal in ANY shelter, period! My next dog, just like all others I have had, WILL come from a shelter. The bond between the shelter animal and their owner is something so amazing. I remember the way my Pooka would look at me with her eyes, she knew I rescued her, she really knew. All of Morgan's kisses....................priceless!

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 02:04 PM
I can't bear to see any animal in ANY shelter, period! My next dog, just like all others I have had, WILL come from a shelter. The bond between the shelter animal and their owner is something so amazing. I remember the way my Pooka would look at me with her eyes, she knew I rescued her, she really knew. All of Morgan's kisses....................priceless!

Same here. Although, I do love to go in and visit them all weekly, you can tell they appreciate company and your love. I'd never pay a breeder for a dog. Even if it's $15-$45, when adopting from a shelter it's actually going to someone who needs it.

cali
12-11-2003, 02:04 PM
kay she said she would rescue animals from that shelter and foster them, and find a home for them herself, she would rescue cats and rats and such to keep but most of the animals she would just foster to get then out of the horrable shelter. did I get that right jorden? :)

cali
12-11-2003, 02:05 PM
I am to slow lol

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by cali
kay she said she would rescue animals from that shelter and foster them, and find a home for them herself, she would rescue cats and rats and such to keep but most of the animals she would just foster to get then out of the horrable shelter. did I get that right jorden? :)

No, I actually believe she only said rats and cats. Not dogs.

I just won't buy my dogs from shelters.

If I ever get a cat, it will be from a shelter, I'm going to get rats from a shelter...etc.

cali
12-11-2003, 02:17 PM
I interpreted that as she wont get dogs from the shelter to KEEP, but to rehome. that is how I interpreted it anyhow. jorden?

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Yes I rescue and rehome sometimes, but most of the time I keep the animals. I can't help it. :o It just sounded as if they were being adopted, but if you are truly doing good for these animals then that's great. It just sounded a bit odd, understand? Can you report the shelter or something?
I know how you feel, I bet I'll probably keep them all lol. No problems. :)

Cali is right, you misinterpreted me Kay. I said I would adopt ANIMALS and rehome them, not just cats and rats. Animals means dogs, rabbits, rodents, etc. I said that I would adopt a cat and some rats for myself to keep.

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 03:19 PM
:rolleyes:

What makes a shelter dog any different than a shelter cat or rat?

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Can you report the shelter or something?
Oops, I missed this. Back in January there was a big explosion of controversy when everyone found out that the shelter had bred the dogs that they had "rescued" from a place in Beaverdell. After the puppies were born, they put down all 47 dogs anbd sold the puppies. Most of the volunteers quit and the public was involved and everybody was angry, but nothing happened to the spca. The spca made some lame excuse that all of the dogs were vicious, but it wasn't true. I have a site somewhere...Let me find it...

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
:rolleyes:

What makes a shelter dog any different than a shelter cat or rat?
If you want to pm me, maybe I'll tell you as I know how insensitive people here can be about chronic problems and I wouldn't want to be made fun of.

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm sure many are thinking the same thing.

Ya, they're very insensitive. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 03:24 PM
What? :)

Cass, here is the site if you want to read about what happened with the spca here. You have to read through all the replies to get the whole story though lol. It starts from when they killed 10 of the dogs to the end where they killed them all. http://www.animaladvocates.com/cgi-bin/newsroom.pl/noframes/read/2030

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2003, 03:40 PM
I am very confused about this post now lol. I would adopt a dog from a shelter if its personality was attracting to me. I would rather personally adopt a dog that is shy and scared them a dog that is hyper and jumps all over you. JMHO. But in most cases the puppies and dogs at the local shelters are all jumpy and hyper *here anyways*, and i much rather adopt from a breeder just so I can research the breed befor hand and know what i am getting into. I might one day goto a siberian husky rescue and adopt a male sibe, but I dought it considering there are no rescues for sibes around here. I will probably buy a shiba inu from a breeder in arm strong, i have been researching on them for a while now, they seem like good breeders. I would personally love to meet a merle pomeranian one day!!! that would be soo cool :).. They look sooo nice :)

If i ever get a cat ot will be from a shelter because i wouldent buy a cat from a breeder, considering i have never herd of a cat breeder around here lol. I would adopt rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils, and any rodent from a shelter IF i know i had the time for them. But I would have to really be sure about adopting a dog from a shelter befor i did, i would want to know as much about its past as possible, i would also want to research on the different breeds that might be in the dog i want to adopt. Inless it is pure bred. I would also want to make sure it was healthy, happy, and good with other animals.
just my two cents

Shelteez2
12-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I might one day goto a siberian husky rescue and adopt a male sibe, but I dought it considering there are no rescues for sibes around here.

:D
Siberian husky and mixes rescue listings..... (http://shccrescue.hypermart.net/ADOPTION.html#PRAIRIE%20PROVINCES)

Also, I don't know how close this is to you, but there is a sibe rescue in Surrey BC (http://www.siberianrescue.org/nonusdetails.htm#BritishColumbia)

Shelteez2
12-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Incidentally I don't think there is anything wrong with going to a responsible breeder for a dog. While there is never any guarantee for a genetically sound dog, your chances of getting one are higher with an ethical breeder who tests their dogs before breeding. And as for the issue of bonding?? I'm sorry but I'm terribly bonded to both of my dogs, and they are to me. Both were bought from breeders.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with taking a chance with a rescue. They make great dogs.

For the price issue, well ethical breeders spend a lot of money on genetic tests, as well as on showing their dogs to make sure they are the best examples of the breed, as well as on vet bills for the pups, getting the pups tatooed or microchipped, registering the pups etc. Good breeders just don't make money in the long run. Would I pay $1000 for a dog? It depends. My next dog will be a whippet, and yes it will be from a breeder. I want to show my dog in conformation, trial it in obedience, and maybe give lure coursing a go. I want as sound of a dog as I can get so that I can actively participate in these activities.

And that being said....I've always said that the first dog I get when I move out will be a senior dog from the SPCA. Those old ones pull at my heart.

Twisterdog
12-11-2003, 09:49 PM
There's plenty of good dogs, if not better, in the shelter for as low as $15, plus you save a life and a soul.

I'm not trying to start an argument. But I've worn myself ragged over the years devoting myself to the shelters and rescue groups here. I've had relationships suffer, school grades suffer, and my health suffer due to how hard I'm trying to get these poor homeless animals into homes. Its just disheartening to keep hearing about people letting their animals have babies, etc etc etc. Blah, I'm going way off topic now.

I agree with both of these posts.

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2003, 09:59 PM
thanks for the link shelteez!!! so many great looking dogs!! they all look so lovable!!!. i shall do alot of research at local shelters looking for a husky in need befor i buy a shiba from a breeder :p.

cali
12-11-2003, 10:10 PM
For the price issue, well ethical breeders spend a lot of money on genetic tests, as well as on showing their dogs to make sure they are the best examples of the breed, as well as on vet bills for the pups, getting the pups tatooed or microchipped, registering the pups etc

good points I did not take into account showing because I have border collies, and if a breeder showed a border collie I would not even associate with them. period. also out breeder does take them to the vet of coarse but shots are the new owners choice, as is registry, etc.. :p

Shelteez2
12-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
thanks for the link shelteez!!! so many great looking dogs!! they all look so lovable!!!. i shall do alot of research at local shelters looking for a husky in need befor i buy a shiba from a breeder :p.
Ok and something else to think about:
Shiba rescue (http://national.shibarescue.org/avail.html#North-West-U.S.-BC-Alberta)

Shelteez2
12-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by cali
good points I did not take into account showing because I have border collies, and if a breeder showed a border collie I would not even associate with them. period. also out breeder does take them to the vet of coarse but shots are the new owners choice, as is registry, etc.. :p
What if the breeder that showed them also had herding, agility and obedience titles on them?

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Ok and something else to think about:
Shiba rescue (http://national.shibarescue.org/avail.html#North-West-U.S.-BC-Alberta)

only one shiba in BC at the moment :p..

GoldenRetrLuver
12-11-2003, 10:26 PM
I personally, have no problem with people going to a responsible breeder for a puppy. Afterall, if there weren't any, none of our breeds would be around. :)

I would love to adopt a shelter dog in the near future, and also from good breeders. I already have a great Golden Retriever breeder in mind, and am hoping I can purchase a puppy from her sometime when I move out, am financially stable, etc...and plan to compete in obediance with him/her, and do therapy work. :)

Tonya
12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
In an ideal world, there would be no dogs in shelters (or on the streets). The only place we would be able to go to is responsible breeders.

The first place that I would always look is rescues, shelters, etc... But I do like the idea of keeping breeds pure. If I can't find a dog that I want (which is very rare!) I would not feel guilty getting him from the breeder.

For instance, when I got Dusty, I was looking for a malmute. I fell in love with him at the pound. He's aussie/husky. Roxy, I was looking for a malmute with totally different looks. I rescued her. Teddy, I searched for a pomeranian for a long time through rescues. I couldn't find one so, I chose to buy him.

Out of all honesty, I feel "mutts" are generally the best dogs. I think that *alot* of pure breds have problems because of all the inbreeding. I've had better luck with all my rescues in life.

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
In an ideal world, there would be no dogs in shelters (or on the streets). The only place we would be able to go to is responsible breeders.

It would be only ideal if there were responsible mutt breeders in addition to that. :p

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2003, 10:52 PM
jordans post about breeding mutts (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35303&highlight=mutt+breeders)

Kfamr
12-11-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm saying ONLY if the shelters aren't full of mutts and other dogs, and there were no such thing as "homeless" animals.

wolf_Q
12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
I'm not against responsible breeders at all. I think we need to keep the lines of purebred dogs going. But only *responsible* breeders should be doing that, not backyard breeders.

I didn't choose the right place to get Nebo, and I'm aware of that. I fully plan on getting my next dog as a rescue...I would like a purebred sibe, and I know I could find one. There's many siberian husky rescues in the US, not necessarily in Utah, but I'm willing to drive. :)

wolfsoul
12-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2

For the price issue, well ethical breeders spend a lot of money on genetic tests, as well as on showing their dogs to make sure they are the best examples of the breed, as well as on vet bills for the pups, getting the pups tatooed or microchipped, registering the pups etc. Good breeders just don't make money in the long run. Would I pay $1000 for a dog? It depends. My next dog will be a whippet, and yes it will be from a breeder. I want to show my dog in conformation, trial it in obedience, and maybe give lure coursing a go. I want as sound of a dog as I can get so that I can actively participate in these activities.

I completely agree. :) The breeder I'm going to gets the entire litter's hearing checked, and the mother's. All that adds up to quite alot. I believe she said it only costs 66 dollars a head, but that's cheap compared to the over 100 it usually is.

I'm going to be showing my dogs too, but only my GSD will be in conformation. It's virtually impossible to find a good confo. pup in a shelter. It's even hard when going to a reputable breeder. I saw a GSD in the shelter with hip dysplasia and I felt like crying. :( I don't agree with breeding for the standard ALL the time. Generally yes, but breeding for working ability is good too.

tikeyas_mom
12-11-2003, 11:58 PM
:( I don't agree with breeding for the standard ALL the time. Generally yes, but breeding for working ability is good too.

Ditto. like my grandmother, she bred malamutes for 15 years and GSD'd befor that for 10. She was very knowledgable and there was a huge demand for blue eyed malamutes so she bred her one blue eyes malamute and got some blue eyes pups. They were very cute :p. And alot of them went on to do cart pulling :)

Shelteez2
12-12-2003, 01:11 AM
It's virtually impossible to find a good confo. pup in a shelter.

Even if you did, shelters spay/neuter their dogs before rehoming them (although you could compete in those conf classes for altered dogs for fun), and on top of that I don't know of any that will transfer ownership of papers (if the shelter even receives them) over to the new owner.

I don't agree with breeding for the standard ALL the time. Generally yes, but breeding for working ability is good too.

And again what is wrong with breeding to the standard and for working ability?? When you start seperating the two it means trouble for the breed IMO.

Twisterdog
12-12-2003, 01:49 AM
There's many siberian husky rescues in the US, not necessarily in Utah, but I'm willing to drive.

Actually, there is a great one in Vernal. My sister fosters and transports for them. They also work with Pet Samaritan. I can get you the info. if you want.

Twisterdog
12-12-2003, 01:52 AM
And again what is wrong with breeding to the standard and for working ability?? When you start seperating the two it means trouble for the breed IMO.

I agree. I'm so sick and tired of the "conformation camp" and the "working camp" bashing each other. What nonsense! The best conformation dogs usually also have several working titles, as well. There is nothing that says a show dog can't work, and a working dog can't meet conformation standards.

lovemyshiba
12-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Jynelle--
You want a Shiba?? Is it because you saw Kito's adorable face and decided you had to have one?;)

Shiba rescue is fantastic. I am on their mailing lists, and will volunteer when something comes up in my area. There is a shiba in BC right now, but I know you meant in the future!!
I know all rescues and shelters are good, but the breed rescues themselves are particularly good for the fact that they know so much about the breeds, and are very careful about placing them (some of them).

As for the original post, I am off to search for a blue merle pom on the internet now--sounds cool!!

And for the other discussion, Abbey came from beagle rescue, Riley came from the parking lot of the spca, Jada came from the spca, and Kito came from a breeder. They didn't breed him, but were holding on to him and his sister for a woman who had gotten sick and couldn't keep them anymore. This couple breeds akitas, and show akitas and shibas, and although they didn't breed Kito, they still check in with us once in a while to see how he's doing, and offered that if any time we couldn't keep him, they would take him back.

cali
12-12-2003, 07:27 AM
What if the breeder that showed them also had herding, agility and obedience titles on them?

no way no how. as soon as showing is in, I am out. I am dead set against BCs being recignized and there is no way on earth that I will ever support it in any way shape or form. :)

tikeyas_mom
12-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Jynelle--
You want a Shiba?? Is it because you saw Kito's adorable face and decided you had to have one?;)

Shiba rescue is fantastic. I am on their mailing lists, and will volunteer when something comes up in my area. There is a shiba in BC right now, but I know you meant in the future!!
I know all rescues and shelters are good, but the breed rescues themselves are particularly good for the fact that they know so much about the breeds, and are very careful about placing them (some of them).

i never even knew what a shiba inu was till i seen kito, and i have fallin in love !! :p.. i really want one, i would love to have a black and tan one, but any color is great :D:D. i shall research rescues befor I buy from a breed :).. Kito was a rescue wasnt he???:confused:.. he is such a handsom looking dog!. U love the breed, thanks to you :p

lovemyshiba
12-12-2003, 10:30 AM
Believe me, I would have a house full of shibas if I could!!!!!
I love the little black and tan ones too!!!!

When I see someone walking with one, I literally have to stop my car and talk to them--there are about 6 in my town, and I know where they all live;)

tikeyas_mom
12-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Believe me, I would have a house full of shibas if I could!!!!!
I love the little black and tan ones too!!!!

When I see someone walking with one, I literally have to stop my car and talk to them--there are about 6 in my town, and I know where they all live;)

hahaha that is too funny!!! I love shibas!!! theya re so adorable, and they are a stuborn breed to, i like that :p. fun to train :D