PDA

View Full Version : Our First Obedience Class Together

RobiLee
12-08-2003, 09:37 PM
We had our first class together tonite. I really enjoyed it. Katie did not embarrass me at all....lol. I think there were about 6 dogs all together. We stood in a big circle and the trainer would explain to us what she was going to do and then she would go around and show each individual dog. One thing I learned was that everytime I give Katie a treat or anything I always say "take it". The trainer came around to Katie and kept giving her treats and saying "take it" before each treat, thenshe held out a treat and said "off". Of course Katie tries to get it but the trainer just held it in her fist and wouldn't let Katie have it. As soon as Katie quit she then "clicked and treated" and said "take it" She repeated it a second time and Katie still tried to get the treat on the "off" command. The third time though when the trainer said off Katie did not touch the treat. I thought that was pretty good. While the trainer went around to the other dogs. I kept practicing with Katie and she did it almost every time. I would give her treats and say take it, take it, take it and then I would hold one out and say "off" and she wouldn't touch it. The guy next to us said, "Wow, she learns fast". I was a proud mama...hehehe. I hope I'm making sense. We learned a few new things that we are supposed to work on this week and then we go back next Monday. I can't wait! I'll be honest though, my favorite part is getting to see the other dogs and getting to do something with Katie. If we actually learn something from this that is just icing on the cake! There were 3 labs there (one of each color), a golden retriever, a mixed breed and Katie. They were all beautiful!! Oh yeah, I also learned that labs and goldens sure do like to talk alot! I got several nice comments about Katie and at the end of class the trainer told me that Katie had a great personalityand social skills, especially for an AKITA. We are keeping our fingers crossed and doing our best to make sure she stays that way. Well, thanks for listening. I hope some of this made sense...lol.

Robin :)

Shelteez2
12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Woohoo! Congratulations.
Of course Katie did well. Good job and have fun with
the rest of the classes :)

Cinder & Smoke
12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
OMG, Katie ~

Din'cha do nuffin NawTee!!??

;)

anna_66
12-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you both had a good night! Isn't going to class fun?! Roxey always loved it and so did I:)

And what are you talking about...Katie nawtee?! Never:D

RobiLee
12-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
OMG, Katie ~

Din'cha do nuffin NawTee!!??

;)

Hehehe...I can't think of anything real Nawtee! She wasn't Miss Perfect though...lol. She tugged on her leash quite a bit when we first got there and of course she chewed on her leash like she always does and I hate that! No barking though, Katie is usually not a barker. When the trainer took her around the circle to meet and sniff all the doggies. She really strutted her stuff, but when the trainer brought the black lab around the circle and that labbie got to Katie she licked him right on the nose and he cowered down and peed right there in front of us...lol.

Anna, yes it was so much fun and like I said I can't wait for the next one. BTW...I love your new sig! I don't know how you got all three kids to sit there like that and with antlers to boot . Great pic!

Robin :)

tikeyas_mom
12-08-2003, 11:48 PM
yay katie!!! :D:D:D

RobiLee
12-09-2003, 05:21 PM
:) :) :)

KYS
12-09-2003, 06:08 PM
posted by RobiLee: I'll be honest though, my favorite part is getting to see the other dogs and getting to do something with Katie. >>>>>

I laughed when I read this.
It's so true, it's like an outing where you get
to socialize at the same time you are learning.

Robin, I new Katie would be a good girl.
When I took Rocky to classes, he was so embarrasing. lol
I think you should have hubby go, so he can take pictures
of Katie and you do your lessons.

Hugs to Katie for being such a good girl.

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Katie your so pritty! Good Girl! No nawtee! Katie wouldn't do anytin bad........hee hee

When I taught Daisy "take it" instead of "off" I told her "leave it" because i use "off" for when I don't want her to jump on people :) You might wanna change the command unless it's to late...............you might confuse her if she's got it stuck in her brain already :) :p