PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunting..

CountryWolf07
12-08-2003, 09:00 PM
UGH. :(

U.S. National - AP

N.J. Holds First Bear Hunt in 33 Years
52 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By JEFF LINKOUS, Associated Press Writer

VERNON, N.J. - Slogging through a foot of snow left by a weekend blizzard, hunters ventured into the woods in New Jersey's first bear hunt in 33 years, prompted by a rising number of complaints about the animals breaking into suburban homes and raiding trash cans.

AP Photo

Related Links
• Bear Facts for New Jersey (New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife)
• Black Bears in N.J. (West Milford Township)

About two dozen protesters rallied near a weigh station at Wawayanda State Park, chanting, "Stop the slaughter, save the bears." They took to the woods with video cameras to monitor the hunt, which went ahead despite a number of legal challenges.

Hunters bagged at least 40 bears by the afternoon, the largest a 225-pound female, the state Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife said.

The hunt was held to reduce a bear population that has swelled across northwestern New Jersey.

Bears have broken into 58 homes in New Jersey this year, according to complaints compiled by the state wildlife agency. Fifty bears have been hit by vehicles. Bears have also killed livestock and bloodied a few people.

A hiker was knocked down by a bear in Wawayanda Park in August. The woman escaped with minor injuries. And a 150-pound bear mauled a West Milford homeowner in May after the man rushed to the aid of his dog.

Black bears have killed eight people over the past three years in North America, but none in New Jersey.

Officials hope the hunt will reduce the state's estimated 3,200 bears by about 500. They plan to monitor the daily kill and determine if the hunt should last the full six days scheduled.

Harry McDole, 63, of Sussex Borough bagged what conservation officers said was the first bear of the season just before 8 a.m., a 160-pound female. McDole said he had killed three bears in Canada on previous hunting trips.

"I've waited 33 years to shoot one in New Jersey. This is the best one because I got it in Jersey," he said. He said he planned to have "a rug or something" made from the pelt and eat the meat.

With about a foot of snow on the ground and the temperature hovering around 20 degrees, conditions were good for tracking but difficult for moving around.

Among the protesters at Wawayanda was Janice Wrubel of Nutley, wearing a bear mask. She said the state has not aggressively pursued alternatives to the hunt, such as sterilization.

Lynda Smith, a West Milford resident and director of the Bear Education and Resource Group, said her group has tried to teach northwestern New Jersey residents how to avoid close encounters with bears by keeping garbage can lids on tight and not leaving pet food outside.

"I dreaded this day. I hoped it would never come. I fought against this day for 10 years," Smith said. "One week of bear hunting, nothing's going to be solved. Come spring the bears will still be eating our garbage and still be walking through our back yards."

For the hunt, the state opened up 1 million acres and issued just over 5,200 permits to hunters.

Bears were hunted annually in New Jersey from 1958 to 1970. Hunting was suspended when their numbers dwindled to about 100.

On Friday, a federal judge, responding to a complaint filed by environmentalists, closed the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area to hunters.

Three other legal actions — two opposing the hunt and one seeking to allow youths ages 10 to 15 to participate in it — were denied Friday, and the New Jersey Supreme Court refused to intervene.

dukedogsmom
12-09-2003, 08:16 AM
They're complaining about the bears breaking into their homes. Well, THEY are living in the bear's homes. The bears were there long before people.

moosmom
12-09-2003, 10:30 AM
dukedogsmom

You took the words right outta my mouth! I have a real problem with hunting bear. Males, MAYBE, and a BIG maybe. But killing female bears more often than not, are making bear cubs orphans. I've got an issue with that one.

AvaJoy
12-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Ugh:( is right! I live in NJ but very far away from Sussex county. Otherwise, I would have considered joining the boycott. Our newspaper reported that 60-some bears were murdered on the first day. How very sad. :( :( :( And REVOLTING!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: