PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT! Do Not Use Images without Permission

Karen
12-08-2003, 08:27 PM
You should never post someone else's images, from their sites, without permission. The woman who owns a Golden Retriever website is very upset, as people have been posting copyrighted material from her site on Pet Talk. Any Golden lovers, especially, please check that any images you use (for birthday greetings, signature graphics, etc.) do not come from her site.

She is angry, and the bandwidth used by people posting her site's code and images has cost her money. Please, if you think you have ever used images from her site, check your old posts and make sure to delete any references to her stuff.

The same is true for every image everyone posts. Make sure you have permission before you use anything you find on the web. Check the page it comes from for a copyright notice.

Dogz
12-08-2003, 08:29 PM
This is a very good thread Karen. It will really keep people's 'heads up' when they are posting graphics for avatars etc. I will make sure to check the site before I post anyone's work.

Karen
12-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Dogz!

GoldenRetrLuver
12-08-2003, 09:14 PM
I'll check back in my earlier posts, to see if anything I posted is copyrighted. I hope she isn't too upset! :(

Thanks for posting this, Karen. :)

Karen
12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
I'll check back in my earlier posts, to see if anything I posted is copyrighted. I hope she isn't too upset! :(

Thanks for posting this, Karen. :)

She's pretty upset, so thank you for checking.

Logan
12-09-2003, 08:33 AM
I love her site and could just get lost in it for hours as there is so much information there. But I have never copied anything from there. I'm sorry she is so upset, Karen. Are you able to figure out where the information is posted and remove it??

Good luck.

Karen
12-09-2003, 08:54 AM
I removed the one she emailed me about, and all I could find.

Russian Blue
12-09-2003, 09:33 AM
I had someone use my images of Nakita on another site claiming it was their pics. I posted a thread about it in Cat General back in the summer. It was a real eye opener, but I guess I shouldn't have been really surprised because of the amount of people who frequent the internet.

Here's the link:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=25683&highlight=warning

It can be really frustrating, especially in this new case with the Goldens where it is costing her money!!! Now when I post pics of Nakita, I usually I only post my 'poor quality' pics, rather than my best ones.

ramanth
12-09-2003, 11:49 AM
I've never visited a Golden site, so I know I haven't borrowed any images.

But this is a good topic.

catland
12-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Karen and Paul - is it acceptable to post links to other web sites or is that also something that we shouldn't be doing?

trayi52
12-09-2003, 12:48 PM
I don't even know what Golden site is???:confused:

micki76
12-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by catland
Karen and Paul - is it acceptable to post links to other web sites or is that also something that we shouldn't be doing?

I think it’s ok to post a link. By doing that, you’re inviting people to visit a site. Everyone who has a site wants it to be visited. :) But if you post images directly from someone’s site, you are usually going to cost them money because you’re stealing their bandwidth.

If there’s a picture that you want to post on PT you should make sure that it’s not copyrighted and then download it to your computer or upload it to another site for hosting, like imagestation.

Please, correct me if I’m wrong Paul or Karen.

Karen
12-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
I don't even know what Golden site is???:confused:

It's a site about Golden Retrievers.

It is fine to post links to others' websites. That's what the Internet is all about! Just ask permission beforehand if you're not sure the person who runs the site would welcome it.

By all means, posts linkd to our site on others any time you want! You have my permission!

EssTer
12-09-2003, 02:26 PM
I had some photos from internet in my avatar, but I changed it and now I have in watar just mine photos :)

I´m sorry, but can someone say me this golden´s address? I really want to visit it :rolleyes:

Amber
12-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Karen I have a question. I was going to pm you but I thought I should just post it. In the game "Fetch me a..." alot of us were gettig images on other sites. Is that Ok? Or should I go back and delete my pictures? Im not sure and I dont want even more people getting upset.

Amber
12-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Oops! Sorry Karen, just went back and saw that you posted something on that already.

lizbud
12-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by EssTer
I had some photos from internet in my avatar, but I changed it and now I have in watar just mine photos :)

I´m sorry, but can someone say me this golden´s address? I really want to visit it :rolleyes:

I won't post a link here, but think Karen said it was
**************.com It's a very nice Golden Retreiver site.:)

lizbud
12-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Oops. Guess I shouldn't repeat the name EssTer. Sorry.

Logan
12-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Since posting a link to the site will not work, if any of you Golden Retriever lovers would like to visit it (and obviously, not steal their graphics and pictures), just email me or send me a PM and I will gladly send you their link.

Logan

GoldenRetrLuver
12-09-2003, 04:24 PM
It's an awesome site that I visit often. I looked back on most of my posts, and didn't find anything.

trayi52
12-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Well I don't think I have done it, if I have, I don't remember. This is the only site I go to that even has dogs and cats on it.

I visit sites trying to find some lower prices on dog and cat food, but I have never copied any of that

Tray:)

Albea
12-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Since posting a link to the site will not work, if any of you Golden Retriever lovers would like to visit it (and obviously, not steal their graphics and pictures), just email me or send me a PM and I will gladly send you their link.

Logan, I was the one who posted pictures from that site, including the one for your birthday and Honey's birthday, because they are on a page listed as free e-cards. I had no intention of stealing anything from anybody.
I have since sent two messages to this person with apologies and the offer to reimburse her for any money she may have lost. I had no idea that she had to pay for bandwidth or that I was doing anything wrong.
I'm sorry for my mistake; as for my ignorance of how some things work on the Web, I've learned something that will stop me from having to be sorry again.

bluekat
12-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Ohh, I'm sorry to hear that the woman is upset.
I hope I haven't used any graphics from sites that I shouldn't have. But I don't really remember. I don't go to any other sites of pets besides PT and cat breeders.:)

Kfamr
04-17-2006, 10:54 PM
I think this thread needs to be bumped up.

Remember folks, if it's not YOUR image or you don't have the permission of the owner - don't use it!

I've noticed a lot of people using photos that don't belong to them in signatures and other things.

luvofallhorses
04-17-2006, 10:58 PM
thanks for bumping this up, Kay. :) I try not to use images that aren't mine. I noticed someone that used a blinkie that I found and it made me kind of upset, because they didn't ask. I wouldn't have minded if they asked first. and also Please don't use other members' pictures without their permission.

Karen
04-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Thank you for bumping this up, Kay.

lv4dogs
04-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the bump Kay, I missed this thread before.

My grandmother always told me to "borrow not steal, borrow as in with permission". :D

lvpets2002
04-18-2006, 01:38 PM
:) Reminder Bump :)

CagneyDog
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
So what about all of the "find the so and so dog" threads in dog breeds?

Karen
04-18-2006, 06:37 PM
So what about all of the "find the so and so dog" threads in dog breeds?

It is best to ask a site's permission before posting an image directly from it. If there is any doubt, DON'T post it! It is that simple.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Awww.. that's too bad....I feel bad for the poor lady. :(
What's the site address? Since I'm going to be getting a Golden Retriever, I'd like to see the site. Thanks!

Riptide
04-18-2006, 07:17 PM
If you need images for siggies, etc, try using www.sxc.hu or www.morguefile.com ^^ Those sites have copyright free images free for the public to use ^^ there are usage restrictions on some, so just watch out for those. ^^ There are over 500 dog images on SXC, so check it out ^^

Pawsitive Thinking
04-19-2006, 08:32 AM
The thought hadn't even occured to me before this post - will certainly bear it in mind for future postings. Hope the "Golden Lady" will accept profuse PT apologies Karen

Sonia59
04-20-2006, 03:25 AM
Good reminder! Thanks.

Riptide
04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
bump ^^