PDA

View Full Version : Dog facts *game*

wolfsoul
12-08-2003, 06:40 PM
I thought this could be some informative fun. :) Not hard at all, just post one dog fact after someone else.

I'll go first:

*The Otterhound is the rarest breed in AKC.

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-08-2003, 07:18 PM
It is? cool i didn't know that.....

Ummm let's see, something i KNOW is.....

The Labrador Retriever is used for hunting

Foam
12-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Cool game! :)

The Siberian Husky's thick coat is actually an insolator for heat and cold.

wolfsoul
12-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Herding is a modified prey drive. :)

FurMomx6
12-08-2003, 08:28 PM
*Bulldogs were used to fight bulls

dukedogsmom
12-08-2003, 08:30 PM
I found what looks like a good dog site. This is taken from crazyfordogs.com
Why do dogs bark?:

Dogs bark to say that there is something strange happening and to be alert. In the wild the barking tells puppies to hide and calls the adults over for action. At home, our dog may bark at us or at a burglar. The barking signals that something is happening; once the new arrival has been identified, either a greeting takes place or an attack.

wolfsoul
12-08-2003, 08:54 PM
In world war one, thousands of GSDs were forcefully taken from their owners and enrolled in the war.

K9soul
12-08-2003, 10:27 PM
In the Vietnam war, the US's war dogs prevented over 10,000 casualties. Yet, when the US pulled out of the war, the majority of those brave dogs were euthanized or abandoned due to fear of contaminates coming back to the States, and were labeled by officials as "army surplus."

I learned in depth about this after watching a special documentary on war dogs a few years ago. Might not be the breed specific fact you were looking for, but wolfsoul's last post made me think of it. American soldiers wept as they were interviewed, recalling their wonderful dog companions in the war.

Rio and Me
12-09-2003, 07:08 AM
Dogs can smell urine in a mix of 1 part urine and 1 million parts of water!
cool huh!!
Ky and Rio

cali
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
if a dog swallows a peice of cooked chicken bone, or shards of a glass ordiment, or open staples or something, just soak real cotton balls in something tasty and the dog will eat it up, the cotton wraps itself around the peices and traped then safe inside the cotton, once it passes all the peices will be out and accounted for :P here is the thing I got it from:

> Remedy For Eaten Glass, Cotton Ball Remedy
> (also helpful for cooked chicken bones that dogs get into)
>
> What do you do if your puppy (or mischievous older dog) gets into your
> holiday decorations and eats some of the glass ornaments? This potentially
> lethal mishap can darken even the brightest holiday season.
>
>
> THE PROCEDURE
>
> Before the holiday go to a pharmacy and buy a box of cotton balls. Be
> sure that you get cotton balls not/the "cosmetic puffs" that are made from
> man-made fibers. Also, buy a quart of half-and-half coffee cream and
> put it in the freezer. Should your dog eat glass ornaments, defrost the
> half-and-half and pour some in a bowl. Dip cotton balls into the cream
> and feed them to your dog. Dogs under 10 lbs should eat 2 balls, which you
> have first torn into smaller pieces. Dogs 10-50 lbs-should eat 3-5 balls,
> and larger dogs should eat 5-7. You may feed larger dogs an entire cotton
> ball at once. Dogs seem to really like these strange "treats' and eat them
> readily. As the cotton works its way through the digestive tract it
> will find all the glass pieces and wrap itself around them. Even the
> teeniest shards of glass will be caught and wrapped in the cotton fibers
and
> the cotton will protect the intestines from damage by the glass. Your
> dog's stools will be really weird for a few days and you will have to be
> careful to check for fresh blood or a tarry appearance to the stool. If
> either
> of the latter symptoms appear you should rush your dog to the vet for a
> checkup but in most cases, the dogs will be just fine.
>
> An actual experience: I can personally vouch for the cotton ball
> treatment. While I was at the vet waiting for him to return from lunch a
> terrified woman ran in with a litter of puppies who had demolished a
wooden
> crate along with large open staples. The young vet had taken x-rays, which
> did show each of the puppies had swallowed several open staples. He was
> preparing them for surgery when my wonderful vet came in and said no
> surgery. I watched him wet several cotton bails, squeeze out the water
> and pop them down their throats. Within 24 hours every staple was
accounted
> for. This was a lesson I learned in the mid-1960s and have had to use
> several times on my brats. I wet the cotton bails and smear on some
> liverwurst
> and they bolt it down and ask for more. The cotton always comes out with
> the object safely embedded
>
> Copyright reserved to Sandy Brock. Permission is hereby granted for
> any nonprofit reproduction by any person or group - submitted by Susan
> Colinan Carr>

wolfsoul
12-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Rio and Me
Dogs can smell urine in a mix of 1 part urine and 1 million parts of water!

Actually that's 60 million parts of water. ;)

tikeyas_mom
12-09-2003, 03:38 PM
the siberian husky was bred in siberia and later moved to alaska, where they were used as endurence dogs for sledding. :D

wolfsoul
12-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Ibizan hounds took 30 years to establish because of problems with distemper.

tikeyas_mom
12-09-2003, 03:42 PM
the great dane was bred to hunt bore!!! thats why their ears where cropped, so the bored wouldent rip them off!!! :eek:..

wolfsoul
12-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Catahoulas were bred to hunt wild boar in marshes. ;) That's why their feet are very webbed.

tikeyas_mom
12-09-2003, 03:48 PM
shih tzus *meaning lion dog* were bred to bark at lions to wake up mastiffs in africa :D.. Talk about all talk and no action ;).

wolfsoul
12-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Napolean was saved from drowning by a lab twice, and he still hated dogs. lol.

tikeyas_mom
12-09-2003, 03:51 PM
lmao!!.. thats soo funny!!... Poodles were bred to herd!!! weird.. humm.. lol

cali
12-09-2003, 04:57 PM
poodles can herd but they are water dogs they brought in the fishing nets and such that drifted off, that is why they have the weird cuts(not the puffs with bald one) they had shorter hair where their were no vital organs but the big puffs are all covering vital organs(the rosets covering kidneys etc..) it was to keep then cool and warm at the same, time, I know they CAN herd though, they are just about as verstitile as the border collie if not as versitile;) at least that is what I am told by several poodle breeders:confused:

wolfsoul
12-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Blue eyes in malamutes is exceptionally recent and resulted from inbreeding.

tikeyas_mom
12-09-2003, 11:44 PM
The klee kai is commenly mistaken to be a siberian husky, Pomeranian cross ;).

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Catahoulas will often climb trees.

tikeyas_mom
12-10-2003, 12:34 AM
well.. Siberians noses are called "snow nose" when they have pinkish coloring in them :p.

Rio and Me
12-10-2003, 03:39 AM
Can GSD's get "snow nose's"?
Because my ex boss's GSD has got one this winter! a real snow nose!
Ky and Rio

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Rio and Me
Can GSD's get "snow nose's"?

Yes, any breed can get snow nose, it's just more prominent in some breeds than others. :)

K9soul
12-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Labradors, Golden retrievers, Bernese Mountain dogs and Siberian huskies are the most common breeds to develop snow nose, but many other breeds can as well. Also some dogs develop a "Dudley" nose, which basically is a permanent snow nose that does not fade with the seasons.

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Bloodhounds can smell so good because the scent gets caught in the wrinkles on their face and on their long ears.

Foam
12-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Pekignese (sp?) were bred as little guard dogs. They would hide in their owner's large sleeves and peeke out and bite at anybody trying to shake their owner's hand. China

wolfsoul
12-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Dogs have three eyelids.

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 01:46 PM
bump :)

K9soul
01-07-2004, 01:58 PM
If you're going to bump, include a fact! :p

Dachshund's were originally bred to hunt badgers into their holes and to dig them out or go in after them. :D

GoldenRetrLuver
01-07-2004, 02:03 PM
The first dogs to achieve the AKC Obedience Title, were Golden Retrievers. :)

pitc9
01-07-2004, 02:15 PM
dogs can develop renal failure from eating grapes and raisins

petlover
01-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Dogs have three eyelids.

They do!?!?:eek: :D I didn't know that.:)

pitc9
01-07-2004, 03:07 PM
The first German Short-haired Pointer was registered by the German Kennel Club in 1872.

petlover
01-07-2004, 03:13 PM
The first apperance of a collie in the showring was in 1860.:)

lv4dogs
01-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Rotteilers stood guard on the German wall during WWII

apcrs5122
01-07-2004, 05:47 PM
All dogs are probably descended from an animal called Tomarctus.

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 05:52 PM
There aren't any wild dogs with floppy ears. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Sadly, statistics indicate that eight million pets lose their lives in animal shelters each year due to overpopulation.

K9soul
01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
The Saluki, royal dog of Egypt, is considered by some authorities to be the oldest known breed.

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 06:09 PM
*Dalmatians are the only breed with the excessive piebald gene.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Smartest dogs: 1) border collie; 2) poodle; 3) golden retriever
Dumbest dog: Afghan

Honestly, I think this is really harsh. Maybe they mean that the Afghan is most stubborn to learn? I know Airedales are stubborn.

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl

Honestly, I think this is really harsh. Maybe they mean that the Afghan is most stubborn to learn? I know Airedales are stubborn.
That's actually very innacurate; they like to make up stuff like that. They really mean "trainable" not intelligent. Aaand in my opinion I've found easier breeds to train than those lol.

Karen
01-07-2004, 06:14 PM
The Miniature Pinscher is NOT a miniature Doberman - it is a much older, but less commonly known, breed.

K9soul
01-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl

I believe it's more stubbornness or unwillingness than lack of intelligence. The top breeds for intelligence always seem to be dogs who love to please and do obedience. I've heard airdales are thick-skulled/stubborn too.

Just my belief on that :)

K9soul
01-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Aaand in my opinion I've found easier breeds to train than those lol.

I didn't realize you had trained so many different breeds INCLUDING those listed and multiple dogs of each breed too to make that assessment :p.

Easier to train breeds seem to be picked for service dogs and I'd put GSD up there towards the top too. A 5-year-old could train a golden easily. They are just such easy dogs :). My collies were wonderfully easy to train too. I haven't ever trained a poodle but have seem a lot of performing poodles that were impressive, as well as border collies, borders being the most amazingly adept at agility in general that I have seen.

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I didn't realize you had trained so many different breeds INCLUDING those listed and multiple dogs of each breed too to make that assessment :p.
Well, I certainly haven't met every single breed and had a chance to train them lol. ;) But in my training experience, I have a hard time training these breeds (except the poodle). I find that goldens are easy to trick-train though. :) Timber acts just like one (minus the retrieving instinct -- she'll go for it twice, and then leave it and tell me to go get it myself :o ), and she learned tricks very very easily.

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
borders being the most amazingly adept at agility in general that I have seen.
I second that; they are always winning the agility matches. Almost makes me angry lol. "Oh, another border collie won." LOL. :p

GoldenRetrLuver
01-07-2004, 06:37 PM
I find that goldens are easy to trick-train though. :) Timber acts just like one (minus the retrieving instinct -- she'll go for it twice, and then leave it and tell me to go get it myself :o ), and she learned tricks very very easily.

Just like Daisy! ;)
Except I can NOT get her to learn how to "shake". I've tryed everything, but I guess she doesn't want to learn it lol. :o But she's a quick learner, and like most goldens loves to play fetch!

Fact: The basenji, an African wolf dog, is the only dog that cannot bark.

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Just like Daisy! ;)
Except I can NOT get her to learn how to "shake". I've tryed everything, but I guess she doesn't want to learn it lol.
Really? Lol, I can't train Timber NOT to shake. She does it on command, but she also does it every other moment! If she wants attention, she'll whack you in the face with her paw. :rolleyes: If she is muddy, sure, pawing her new white clothing looks like fun! It's incredibly annoying lol. Oh well, what can ya do?

*Contrary to popular belief, the spitz-type dogs were not developed from foxes. Foxes are not able to breed with dogs because they are vulpes vulpes, and dogs are canis familiaris. Foxes are actually more closely related to cats.

apcrs5122
01-07-2004, 06:42 PM
A dog sees objects first by their movement, second by their brightness, and third by their shape.

apcrs5122
01-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Really? Lol, I can't train Timber NOT to shake. She does it on command, but she also does it every other moment! If she wants attention, she'll whack you in the face with her paw. :rolleyes: If she is muddy, sure, pawing her new white clothing looks like fun!

Same with Alex!;)

GoldenRetrLuver
01-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Really? Lol, I can't train Timber NOT to shake. She does it on command, but she also does it every other moment! If she wants attention, she'll whack you in the face with her paw. :rolleyes: If she is muddy, sure, pawing her new white clothing looks like fun! It's incredibly annoying lol. Oh well, what can ya do?

Lol, yep. She just won't do it. I'll say "shake", take her paw and say "Good girl!" so she knows what I'm talking about, but she just looks at me like "Ok..." :rolleyes: Maybe someday lol.

*A dog can hear sounds 250 yards away that most people cannot hear beyond 25 yards.*

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 06:49 PM
*25% of dogs entering shelters are purebreds.

apcrs5122
01-07-2004, 06:55 PM
A dog's heart beats between 70 and 120 times a minute, compared with a human heart which beats 70 to 80 times a minute.

wolfsoul
01-07-2004, 06:59 PM
*Pyrenean Shepherds, Beucerons, and Pyrenean mountain dogs have double dewclaws.

apcrs5122
01-07-2004, 07:03 PM
*Pyrenean Shepherds, Beucerons, and Pyrenean mountain dogs have double dewclaws.

Great Pyreneese do too (I don't know if they would be included in one of them:p ;))

Fact: Dogs almost always greet strangers who enter the home with barking and sniffing.

K9soul
01-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Tommy loves giving me his paw, Tasha too. Gotta watch for that when you are down on the floor with them.. get a sudden paw to the face :o

Willie was especially bad with the "giving of the paw" and if you didn't take it with your hand, he kept giving it with more and more gusto..

He gave me a few fat lips with that.

Fact: Great Danes were once used for boar hunting in Germany.

lv4dogs
01-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by apcrs5122
Great Pyreneese do too (I don't know if they would be included in one of them:p ;))

Although double dew claws are unusual, they are certainly not unique to the Briard. Among others, they are also found on, Beauceron, Great Pyrenees, Pyrenees Shepherd, Norwegian Lundehund, Norweigen Buhund and the Iceland dog.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
01-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Bichon Frise means , "Curly Lap Dog."

wolfsoul
01-23-2004, 04:54 PM
*Gingivitis is the most commonly seen illness in dogs.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-23-2004, 09:04 PM
The Rottweiler comes from the German town Rottweil.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
lmao!!.. thats soo funny!!... Poodles were bred to herd!!! weird.. humm.. lol

Actually, they were bred as huinting dogs, the same thing as Labrador Retrievers.;)