PDA

View Full Version : That's it. I've had it.

stacwase
12-08-2003, 05:47 AM
Ok. I've done everything I could do, and more. I've taken her to the vet. I've sprayed the sofas with deterrent. I've done my best to keep her in my sight every possible moment. I've kept her litter boxes immaculately clean. Every night before I go to bed I spray the sofas just in case Katie gets out, then I bring her to bed with me.

Every day for the past 3 days she's found a way to pee on the couch. This morning she raced out my bedroom door ahead of me and peed on the couch before I could catch her. I have a perfectly clean litter box in my bedroom. It's as if she's trained herself to use the sofas.

I've gone above and beyond the call of duty with this cat. I will not live in filth, and I don't want to hear a bunch of mean, judgemental BS from anybody about it.

Katie just became an outdoor cat. I know it's cold, but there's a place under our house where it's always very warm. It stays around 40-50 degrees under there. It's either this or bring her to the shelter. It is a kill shelter.

There's no way I could find another home for her. Nobody wants a cat who can't use the litter box.

At least she's spayed and won't be having kittens outside in the cold.

jenluckenbach
12-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Please KNOW that I am NOT judging......But it may be possible to rehome her. It has been done before, successfully. The people in my rescue group, who have MANY more years experience than I do, have told me of stories with happy endings, from situations just like yours. My first question would be "are there any other no-kill rescue groups in your area?" And don't look only in "driving distance". because many groups will help get the cat to them if it is further away. All you need to do is ASK around.
I do want to say I am sorry you have to go through this, it is difficult, I know.

jenluckenbach
12-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Go to www.petfinder.org
click on rescues & shelters
and then enter your state.

You will get a list. find the ones closest to you and start asking.

stacwase
12-08-2003, 07:08 AM
I'll look at those.

She's sitting in the bird feeder staring in the window now, trying to make me feel guilty.

jenluckenbach
12-08-2003, 07:15 AM
I have been through the inappropriate peeing behavioral problem, and some things that might work are
1) cage training
2) confinement to a single room
3) medication

I did all 3. They are still on medication, but it works. No more problems. Sometimes it works without all 3 steps.
Just a suggestion.

catmandu
12-08-2003, 09:57 AM
It might not be ideal , but at least you are providing a home for her,and you are correct that almost noone wants a Peeing Cat!

moosmom
12-08-2003, 10:27 AM
I don't want to hear a bunch of mean, judgemental BS from anybody about it.

Excuuuuuuuuse me!! Sounds to me like you're already feeling guilty or you wouldn't be so defensive. The look she's giving you is one of "What'd I do and why am I out here???"

You think you HAD vet bills??? Just wait. Now that she's exposed to the elements (i.e., cold, wet weather, other non-vaccinated neighborhood animals, rabid wild animals, etc.) it ain't gonna get any cheaper.

I'm not going to give you any judgemental BS. But when was the last time you took her to the vet??? If it was a while ago, perhaps she has since developed a Urinary Tract Infection. Might be worth another visit to the vet. How long has she been doing this??? If it were MY cat doing such a thing, I would at least make another vet appt to rule out a UTI and then perhaps TRY to find a home for her rather than throw her out in the cold. Maybe a new environment is what she needs. Warm or not under a house, the UP of Michigan is VERY cold in the winter. You ever try living in 40-50 degree temps??? Just because a cat has a fur coat doesn't mean it's any less colder for them.

stacwase
12-08-2003, 10:59 AM
OF COURSE I'm feeling guilty! But I don't know what to do! I take her to the vet all the time! I practically live at the vet!!!!! If you read all my other threads, you'll see how much time and effort I've put into this.

But - I can't do this. She looks miserable. I'm bringing her in. I'll make her stay in Max's crate.

Anybody want a peeing cat? She's cute.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-08-2003, 11:29 AM
When I moved back in with my parents a long time ago, my dad hated cats and wasn't too thrilled that Tubby was joining the household. Evidently Tubby pickedl up on this because the only time Tubby has ever peed outside the litterbox is when he peed on my dad's side of the bed. Not once, not twice, but 3 times. I was told either make him stop or he's gone.

What we did was spread plastic over the bed. Tubby didn't like the feel of the plastic on his little footsies so he wouldn't jump up there anymore, and even if he had the plastic would have caught the pee before it soaked into the bed.

Put something on the couch - tin foil, plastic, contact paper with the sticky side up - anything that Katie will not like. Your problem will be solved. Yes, you'll have some ugly something or other on your couch, but isn't that better than having cat pee in your couch?

Not being judgemental here, but throwing her outside is not solving the problem, and will only cause further problems like Moosmom mentioned. If you absolutely do not want her anymore, please try and rehome her. Behavioral issues like this will oftentimes disappear in a new home.

PayItForward
12-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
But - I can't do this. She looks miserable. I'm bringing her in. I'll make her stay in Max's crate.
How about making her an inside/outside cat ?

Some cats won't use a litter tray and prefer to toilet outside. If the area is safe with quiet roads, install a cat flap !!!!

But I am pleased you bought her back inside today as NO cat deserves to live outside permanently.

My vets says there is a link between (SOME not all) totally inside cats and toilet problems.

Something to do with the fact these cats get really attached to their home, any changes in the home really affect cats, even something as minor as a new cushion can be upsetting.

As inside/outside cats have a bigger outside territory, they are less upset by interior changes in the home.

Anybody want a peeing cat? She's cute.
If you were nearer. :) Or you could just pop Jen's Annie in the same case and ship them over ;)

lynnestankard
12-08-2003, 12:04 PM
Oh Stacwase - my heart goes out to you - what a problem.

If everything else has failed - like it did for my daughter and her lovely furlady Tabitha - the vet put Tabitha on medication - can't remember what it was - buy hey - the problem finished!! This cat had peed everywhere - beds, carpets, sofa, chairs, towels, washing just taken out of the machine - an endless list. And then - nothing, she went back to using her litter box - they had to take the lounge carpet up and a new one in!!! As long as she's on the medication she's a sweetheart.
Maybe the vet would have the answer.

Lynne

stacwase
12-08-2003, 12:14 PM
I guess I could try the plastic on the couch - but that would be uncomfortable to sit on. My kids would probably flip it up and sit on the couch, then forget to flip it back down again. You know kids.

Toby is an indoor-outdoor cat, and he does fine. He only goes outside - won't even use a litter box. But for the life of me I can't remember how he ended up going that! Maybe I should just start letting Katie out every time she wants out and see if that works. We live in kind of a busy area, but it's not a fast street. I've never seen a dead animal on the road because people drive slowly. Toby has never been injured.

Listen to me. It sounds like I'm giving her ANOTHER chance, doesn't it? :rolleyes: I'll never learn.

stacwase
12-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the sympathy Lynne! I'll most likely be making ANOTHER trip to the vet. Maybe a different vet.

PayItForward
12-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
Maybe I should just start letting Katie out every time she wants out and see if that works
Good Idea and if you install a cat flap she can go out when she pleases.

Logan
12-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Stacwase, both of our cats are indoor/outdoor cats and they definitely prefer it that way. I would not do it if the road in front of our house was too busy, but I don't think I could contain Butter for long if I tried to keep him inside, and Mimi has been doing the inside/outside thing for so long that trying to restrain her at this point would be fruitless too.

We are fortunate that both of them hang close to our house, and we have a litter box indoors for them, but Mimi is the only one that ever uses it.

Wishing you lots of luck and patience. Use your vet for medical issues and try all the other suggestions too, especially isolating to one room with a clean litterbox. I'm thinking a crate is just to confining, but I could be wrong.

Logan

Felicia's Mom
12-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Compared to you, my problem isn't so bad: Sometimes when Felicia is in the litter box she pees on the floor outside the box.

Every time she does that, I tell myself: "at least she is using the box".

moosmom
12-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Stacwase,

I didn't mean to sound too harsh. But I'm SO glad you decided to take her in. I think maybe indoor/outdoor might be the best alternative. Don't forget to put a collar and nametag on her in case she wanders.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

aly
12-08-2003, 01:14 PM
You can rehome cats with litterbox issues. I've seen it happen lots of times. All you would really need to do is find an established, responsible cat rescue group.

Thank you for putting her back inside. Leaving her out in the cold will solve nothing.

popcornbird
12-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Put a diaper on her! :p

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I know I probably wouldn't be able to stand an animal peeing in the house either for long. :( But I'm glad you're giving her another chance. No kitty deserves to live outside for good. Hope you can solve your problems!

aly
12-08-2003, 02:41 PM
I actually have resorted to using diapers on my geriatric foster animals a few times. It is a pain and you have to be sure to change them often to keep the animal clean, but its much better than most alternatives.

Cataholic
12-08-2003, 02:46 PM
I am so glad you decided to bring her inside. I was in tears, nearly.

We ALL get frustrated. Vet bills, incurable conditions, vomiting, premature deaths, irresponsible people. You just needed to vent. We all do.

So, re-examine the situation. If necessary, rehome her. BUT, remember, to her, she isn't doing something wrong. There is a reason, you just don't know it.

In any event, thank you for reconsidering your decision.

stacwase
12-08-2003, 03:45 PM
"I actually have resorted to using diapers on my geriatric foster animals a few times. It is a pain and you have to be sure to change them often to keep the animal clean, but its much better than most alternatives."

Really? Did they leave them on? That's a thought.

So, re-examine the situation. If necessary, rehome her. BUT, remember, to her, she isn't doing something wrong. There is a reason, you just don't know it.

I'm pretty sure I do know why she's doing it. Remember she had a bad urinary tract and anal gland infection? That was when the problem started. I think she left her scent on the sofas and then when her physical problem was cured she thought that was where she was supposed to go. She'll literally hold it until she can get to the sofa sometimes. I think she's trained herself to use it.

What do you think?

By the way, she's in Max's crate now. Happy as a clam. His crate is HUGE. I'm going to just put her food and water and litterbox and a little bed in there, and let her out only when he eats and when I can watch her.

Oh now she's meowing - better let her out for a bit.

Thanks for listening to me vent. How many times have I said "That's it" or "Last chance"?

wolfsoul
12-08-2003, 03:48 PM
I'd try leaving her contained in a room for a week or so. Maybe it will uncondition her behaviour towards the sofa if she isn't around it for a period of time. :)

Good luck!

jenluckenbach
12-08-2003, 03:49 PM
I am glad she is back inside. I am sure that one of the above ideas will be your answer. I too needed to use diapers on my diabetic cat who simply could not hold it long enough to get to the box. Indoor/outdoor combined with some plastic covering might just make a diference. I now have plastic on my furniture covered by inexpensive sheets or blankets. That way only the sheet or blanket needs washing in case of accident, but the upholstery is safe.

jazzcat
12-08-2003, 03:51 PM
I'm so glad she is back in. I think the crate training that Jen talked about is a great idea. You can retrain her to use the litterbox and during that time maybe you can find some way to get the sofa clean and free of her scent.

I'm so sorry the other things you have tried didn't do the trick but hopefully with all the great advice here something will work. If you live in a safe area (no loose dogs or high traffic) maybe the indoor/outdoor kitty is the way for you to go if nothing else.

Hang in there!!!

carole
12-08-2003, 04:10 PM
I think everyone can understand the dilemia you have been put in, and I for one would hate to be in your shoes!!!!

I am glad to hear she is back inside too, making her an indoor/outdoor may be the way to go as payitforward suggested, however I think you may have hit the nail on the head, the physical problem maybe be cured, but now just to get her habits changed.

Sorry I have no advice to give , except HANG ON IN THERE, and my best wishes and GOOD LUCK to you, sounds like you are gonna need it. Hope all works out.:)

moosmom
12-16-2003, 08:39 AM
Just wanted to stop by and see how Katie is doing??

sirrahbed
12-16-2003, 08:49 AM
I am just so sorry you are dealing with this - it is my nightmare as well. For different reasons, our home was slowly destroyed by cat urine. Two aging cats developed cancer and one was in kidney failure. Room by room was ruined. I thought the odor would never go away. Now, those two have gone to RB and we have all new carpet and what do I do? Wait one day and get two kittens - now a 3rd adult cat. I dread the day when one or the other deciddes to mark something:(

The odor can be cleaned up with work. Lots of bacteria liguid. We removed some baseboards and pieces of carpet, etc, It is heartbreaking I know.

I really do hope things are looking up for you. I really do feel sad about this.

jenluckenbach
12-18-2003, 07:36 PM
How is Katie doing?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
How is Katie doing?

Jen check here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39962)

Miss Kate has a wonderful new home. :D

cutie_chica
12-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Putting a cat outside is so wrong she is a indoor kitty, she probably wouldnt even know how to defend herself. Yea its 40-50 degrees where she would have been sleeping but my cats shiver when its like 60 in here. I know it must be so hard with her peeing on your couch, but see if you can get her on some meds. They cost money yea, But If I can pay for Meds. for Tony, you can pay for them for your poor kitty. Im sorry aboit your couch buty we are all here for you! Im glad you brought her in....

Craftlady
12-18-2003, 09:16 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39962

See above thread, Miss Kate got rehomed to her petsitter ;)