PDA

View Full Version : Chilly weather means it's time to move the big guy inside.

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 03:18 AM
Chilly weather only means one thing around our house, Vern leaves his outside cage and joins us inside. It's time to watch where we walk, you never know whos lurking around.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pfa465db172baa9cd293f7fbdb98116c7/fa5b6383.jpg

Just try cooking dinner with him around.....it can be interesting. lol Of course the fun really comes when you are taking a shower and Vern decides to join you. As he is right now in the shower waiting.......:eek: :eek: He loves that steam.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pcb80aaf4dee9611a02c99cf58785c25e/fa5b65dd.jpg

jenluckenbach
12-08-2003, 06:30 AM
WOW :eek: How big is he? His colors are so pretty.....oops....HANDSOME :o :D

Killearn Kitties
12-08-2003, 06:49 AM
He's gorgeous! What length is he? I'd be terrified I tripped over him, he could possibly stretch the whole length of my kitchen!:D

ChrisH
12-08-2003, 08:43 AM
WOW!! He is gorgeous!!:)

CathyBogart
12-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Welcome inside Vern! You obviously rule your domain, and you are GORGEOS!

tikeyas_mom
12-08-2003, 10:55 AM
nice pic, what a pritty guy!!!

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Vern is over 6 feet long right now, he is a big boy. Then we have George who is 5 feet long running around here somewhere, George is a hider so we don't have to worry to much about stepping on him, he always on a shelf or the top of the curtins. As much as I love them both I can't wait till it warms up and they can go back outside, it just makes life easier. This morning I found George on the kitchen counter. :eek:

Then there is the guest problem. Poor Dan came over last night and used the bathroom, he didn't look to pleased when he came out.......Vern, he said, keep a close eye on him. I have noticed we are not getting as much company over right now, as normal.......I wonder why!! ;) ;)

luckies4me
12-08-2003, 11:13 AM
You're lucky I don't live close to you. I'd be over every day! :D

Vern, you're a REAL looker!

Logan
12-08-2003, 11:54 AM
WOW!!!!! Do you just give them the run of the house, or do they have aquariums to go to when you need to put them up? How do they live when they are outdoors?? Sorry to be so full of questions! I know nothing about these guys!!! :o

Logan

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Logan, Not a problem on the questions a lot of people ask the same things. If you don't have a Iguana how can you know whats it's like living with them.

They sort of get the run of the house during the day. At night Vern gets locked in the bathroom with his heat lamp. George, we don't lock up much sense he stays up on a shelf most of the time not like Vern who gets into eveything. Vern is just a little more taim then George so he has no problem going anywhere he wants, up your leg, under the bed, on the fish tanks etc etc. Of course after this morning with George on the counter, he might have to be put in the other bathroom tonight too.

Most of the time they do live outside in these huge cages that my husband built for them on the back deck. We are lucky we live in Florida sense the weather is warm enough for them, most of the year.

When they where little they did have aquariums, but they are just to big now. All in all it's not to bad living with them, just as long as you don't scare them when their not looking or else you might get a tail wiping.

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 02:38 PM
BTW: here's a picture of George.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/p4bae9365df8255317d794e9f59273736/fb44bfaa.jpg

Desert Arabian
12-08-2003, 02:56 PM
WOW! Those are gorgeous iguanas!! That is soo cool how they get pretty much free roam of the house. I love George's green-ness!

Where do they go potty!?!?! :eek: :o

Twisterdog
12-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Nice!

I used to have a six foot long male green iguana named Willie. He ran around the house a lot of the time, but he also had a big cage ... took up an entire wall in the living room.

He liked to lay across the fireplace mantel ... lots of people thought he was "decoration" until he moved. Scared a lot of people, he did! :p

Willie was "litter box trained" ... I kept a cat litter box half full of water, and that is where he did his business. Iguanas are very clean animals.

And, yeah, you definately want to avoid those tails when they are angry ... it's like getting smacked with a baseball bat! :eek:

Kfamr
12-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Gorgeous...

What do the dogs think of them?

jenluckenbach
12-08-2003, 06:40 PM
facinating, the things you can learn. feel free to give us all iguana lessons. :)

Desert Arabian
12-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Females aren't that big are they? How big do they get?

Yes, I am with Jen, feel free to give us iguana lessons!!

lizbud
12-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Very interesting......Hummm.:D :D

What do the dogs & cats think of these guys, or do they ever
interact? They are very colorful & interesting animals, but.:eek:
Don't think I'd ever be able to relax around them. Sorry, that's
just me. No disrespect or anything.:)

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Iguanna lesson 101. ;) ;) ;)

Yes there are very clean animals and most always pick out a spot to go to when nature calls. Mine for some odd reason picked the guest bathroom tub. It's nice that they use the tub.....but it would be nicer if it wasn't where guest could see. At least it easier to clean, just wash it down the drain, more or less.

Dogs and Iguana's toghter takes time, You can't train them to like dogs but I can train the dogs to leave them alone. When push comes to shove all they have to do is whip that tail and the dogs take off running. It's that cat, Cali I'm having a problem with now. She's still a kitten and thinks the tails are play toys. Luckly she quick and can get out of the way when Vern get fed up with her. For the most part everyone gets along, I think growing up all toghter really helps or else we are really lucky.

Females are not as big as male but still can get to a pretty good size, 5 foot or so. Problem is when you get a Iguanna at a young age you never know what sex it is till they grow up and you can look for the signs. For a few years we thought George was female ...till the signs started showing. Thanks god he was male, 1 female with one male would have been he#$. 1 male needs any where from 5 to 10 femals to make him happy.

They are odd pets to most, but we love them and they have their own personally and can even be loveable to a point.

Edit: Oh yeah, in case you where wondering about their different colors. Vern has that orange to him because he just got out of wanting a mate. Early he was really orange. Then once their ready to shed thier skin they also turn a brown like color.

Hope you liked your leasson for the day? ;) ;) Any questions class? you do know I'm just playing? I don't want anyone to think I'm being a smart a$$.

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Don't think I'd ever be able to relax around them. Sorry, that's
just me. No disrespect or anything.:)

No disrespest taken, they are not the pet for most people.

Honesly when it first came up, I wasn't sure how well I take having them around. They were my husbands idea, his pets at first. Now they are my pets, for the longest time I was the olny one who could hold Vern.....I taught my husband how.

Just like a lot of things they have to grow on you.

Cincy'sMom
12-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Awesome pictures!!! If I ever was going to have a non furry pet (other then my fsh) I thinkI would get an iguana.

I had an iguana once, briefly. He actually belonged to my college roommate's sister's boyfriend (Did you follow that?) Anyway, Iggy got kicked out of Ohio Northern U, so he came to live with us at the Univeristy of Cincinnati. Unfortunaly he got sick, and he didn't make to too long :( He was fun to have around though.

tikeyas_mom
12-08-2003, 08:26 PM
what do they eat :o:o:o:o

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
what do they eat :o:o:o:o

You would have to ask me that.....now I have to work on my spelling. LOL

They eat Veggies.....yellow squash, spinach, collards greens, that Z veggie (lol never could spell that word) Just all kinds of veggies, just never lettuce it's not good for them. Also fruit, apples are their favorite, it's like candy to them.

They also get something called Monkey biscuits. It's a bird food, I belive, but if you put it in water it blows up and they just love them. They can't have it alot it has to much protein to be eating all the time, but it's a good treat.

Never feed them bugs as some people do.....they have to much protein, also and it makes them more aggressive. I get so mad when I go to the pet store and they tell people to by crickets for them, it's so wrong.

The pets stores are so wrong about a lot of things, the other day I heard them tell a lady that they don't have teeth. :eek: WRONG they have lots of teeth, so strong that they can crack a walnut shell with no problem. I had to take her aside and tell her the truth....I hate for her to think their mouths were safe, you can lose a finger like that. Even when we hold ours, we put on welding gloves......just in case they decide to bite. You never know with them.

CathyBogart
12-09-2003, 01:55 AM
EGADS, I'm glad they educate the employees at my work! Our Iggies get lots of leafy greens and squash, as well as the occasional Monkey biscuits, and we almost NEVER sell them!

I'm always skeptical when people say they have an iguana, because they ARE so very hard to take care of at times. Yours look so happy and healthy!! I wish all ig owners provided for their pets as well as you do! They're obviously two very spoiled boys!!

green_chameleon_girl
12-09-2003, 10:33 AM
THATS THE CUSTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!:D *jealous*

Uabassoon
12-09-2003, 10:47 AM
He's huge! 6 feet long! He's a foot taller than me! But he really is a beautiful iguana.

Fox-Gal
12-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan

I'm always skeptical when people say they have an iguana, because they ARE so very hard to take care of at times. Yours look so happy and healthy!! I wish all ig owners provided for their pets as well as you do! They're obviously two very spoiled boys!!

Thanks, we do our best to take care of them right and yes they are spoiled.

You are right though they are hard to care for at times. This is why I hate it so much when people buy them at the pets stores not knowing fully what they are getting into. People buy them when they are small cute little things....not thinking that they can get as big as Vern and even bigger and one day you might have to give up a room just to house them.

I have to laugh sometimes when I see people getting them a little fish tank, small heat rock (BTW never use a heat rock) small water bowl etc. You know thats a waste of $ and time...it wont be long till they out grow that.

We have a man in our area that rescue them because so many owners give them up when they get to big for them. Right now he has 98! His place is a site to see....cages everywhere. It has become such a full time job for him that he left his job at the post office.

Anyway, I gald to see so many here are interested in my two guys and if any one is thinking about getting one feel free to ask many any questions you might have. You should always know what your getting yourself into before hand.

captain
12-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal

Then there is the guest problem. Poor Dan came over last night and used the bathroom, he didn't look to pleased when he came out.......Vern, he said, keep a close eye on him. I have noticed we are not getting as much company over right now, as normal.......I wonder why!! ;) ;)

AND

Even when we hold ours, we put on welding gloves......just in case they decide to bite. You never know with them

Part One - the toilet watcher - Hysterical!

Part Two - WOW. Welding gloves :eek:

trayi52
12-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Wow, they are huge. I would be afraid of tripping and getting my foot stuck in their mouth. And I am just the one to do it. I am CLUMSY.

They have to be a blast to have around, especially when you are taking a shower. How funny!

Twisterdog, you used to have one name Willie? LOL. I would like to introduce myself, helloo, my name is Willie. :D , I always hated being named a boys name, but through the years I have grown used to the name. If you ever see the other Willie, tell him Willie says Hi!!:D

Tray:)