PDA

View Full Version : I feel so bad.

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 01:03 AM
I was coming home late tonight from shopping and I took one of the back roads home. It's shorter but not the best road in the world and very dark at night. Anyway as I was driving along, all of a sudden out comes this black and white cat, a real cutie, looked like my Dagwood. He darted out in front of me and of course I avoided him, almost running off the road. I'm thinking thank god I missed him when all of a sudden he turned and runs right towards my car again. This time I didn't miss him, there was nothing I could do, I didn't have any time and if I did turn I would have landed in the ditch. This road has no shoulder, it's road and then a large ditch of water, no safe grass area.

Of course I turned around to check on him and he was dead. There was no home anywhere around that he could have belonged too. I so badly wanted to find his owners and explain and tell them how sorry I was and see what I could do for them. I'm assuming he was a stray.

I cried the whole way home, I have never hit a animal before. I'm always so good about looking out for them, out here in the country it so common to see wildlife on the road. I felt so bad that I had done this. I know there was nothing I could have done but theres always that felling in me of maybe if??

I came home and got my husband and we went back again and my husband buired him for me.

So to the little black and white kitty, I want to say I'm so sorry for what I did and may you RIP at R.B.

jazzcat
12-08-2003, 01:21 AM
I'm so sorry!!:(

RIP little one.

bisi.cat
12-08-2003, 02:00 AM
This is so sad...:(
I am glad you've buried him...RIP black and white little one...

IttyBittyKitty
12-08-2003, 03:55 AM
Oh, please don't feel bad, it wasn't your fault! You did the kind, decent thing of burying the little kitty. Most people out there wouldn't go to the trouble!

Maybe keep an eye out for ads at the local shopping centre and in the neighbourhood for a missing kitty - you might be able to contact kitty's owners yet (if he has any)

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-08-2003, 05:24 AM
Don't feel bad. It wasn't your fault, and you at least allowed the kitty some dignity by burying him instead of leaving him, as most people would have done.

(((HUGS)))

RIP Little Kitty - play nicely and the RB

Steffi N
12-08-2003, 07:10 AM
Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes these things just happen. You gave the kitty the dignity of a final resting place.
Rest in peace, little black and white kitty.

Killearn Kitties
12-08-2003, 07:37 AM
I feel for you. I live in the country too and I know what it's like driving around dodging rabbits, cats, game birds, deer etc. Sometimes there is just nothing you can do to avoid the collision.

Most people here don't even stop to move an animal that they have hit off the road, even if it is clearly someone's pet and not a wild animal, My husband seems to regularly leap out the car to lift animals off the road.

Please, don't blame yourself, you did everything you were able to do.

Twink
12-08-2003, 07:46 AM
I'm so sorry. What a traumatic thing to have happen. Just know that you did all that you could, and much more than most people would have. There's no reason for you to feel guilty, although I can understand why you can't help it. *hug*

RIP, little kitty.

Lallypop11
12-08-2003, 07:53 AM
I'm so sorry, that's a horrible thing to experience. I'm sure the kitty is resting peacefully at the RB. It wasn't your fault, don't worry....that's exactly the reason my cats are indoor because I couldn't bear them running around outside on dangerous roads, I hope you are able to find peace :(

sirrahbed
12-08-2003, 08:56 AM
That was a very, very kind thing for you and your husband to go back and bury the kitty! Most people would just keep driving and not give it a thought. Hitting him could NOT have been avoided and was NOT your fault. I am glad that he was killed quickly and not badly injured. You did the right thing and I hope you do not keep feeling so guilty although I know you feel badly! ((((HUG))))

catmandu
12-08-2003, 09:42 AM
R.I.P Kitty.

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Yes it's hard thinking about the poor little thing and I'd love to turn back the clock and re-do that night, but I know that there wasn't anything I could have done different to save him.

I had to bury him, the thought of him on the road killed me and it was the least I could do for him. I could not image just leaving him.

Thank god I have a good husband to be draged out late at night, I'm not sure I could have done it without him. He's a good man. :) He took great care with the little guy.

Logan
12-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
That was a very, very kind thing for you and your husband to go back and bury the kitty! Most people would just keep driving and not give it a thought. Hitting him could NOT have been avoided and was NOT your fault. I am glad that he was killed quickly and not badly injured. You did the right thing and I hope you do not keep feeling so guilty although I know you feel badly! ((((HUG))))

This expresses my feelings, exactly. Thank you for caring so much. :(

CatDad
12-08-2003, 07:55 PM
RIP Kitty.

You did everything that you could do, I know that you feel bad but it really wasn't you fault.

You also did the right thing by giving the kitty a burial.

Cheshirekatt
12-08-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm so sorry...how sad. :(

One time I was driving to work and saw a german shepard on the side of the road so I stopped to make sure he wasn't still alive and suffering. He was dead, poor baby. But he had a collar with tags on so I called the owner to let them know where he was. I just didn't want some poor little kid running out the door in the morning and seeing his doggie like that. It was the worst call I've ever had to make.

It was very sweet taking the time to bury the little guy.

catcrazylady
12-08-2003, 08:38 PM
What a horrible thing for you to experience. I'm sorry. You know it couldn't be avoided and the sad truth is that accidents happen. Not only did you show true kindness by stopping to check on him but when you went back to bury him you went way beyond what anyone would expect. What a huge thoughtful heart you have.

Fox-Gal
12-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks again everyone for your kind words.

I had to go back down that road again today and all I could think about was him. What if I had not buried him, I would have seen him there. That's why there was no question in going back to bury him for my sake as well as his.

I saw 2 more cats on that road today so I belive he might have been part of that crew. Tomorrow we will go back and see if we can catch them....I pray we do before something happens to them also.

NoahsMommy
12-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Oh no! I'm so sorry! :(