PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Litter Box?

mikey
12-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Hey friends! Well, our little Gizmo is doing very well and we should have a new little friend for him this coming week.

We went to Petco today and purchased an automatic litter box. It's huge! He's used it already and he doesn't seem to mind at all. It's all automatic and rakes the waste every 20 minutes and putts the clumps into a plastic bag.

Anyone have experiences with these?

Also, can two cats share a box or do they need their own boxes?

Thanks!!!

Mike

andrea_NMAggie
12-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Hmmm... I keep thinking about buying one of those, but afraid that my cat will walk up to it, give it a sniff or two, and then decide she doesn't like it. I'm interested to hear feedback from others about thier experience too!!

mikey
12-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Well our initial experience with the Purrforma (by Petmate) has been a bad one. The unit will not cycle automatically. I should have been suspicious. We bought it at Petco and it looked like the box had been opened. All the parts were there except the instruction manual. Should have known right then. It is supposed to cycle every 20 minutes. It doesn't. So back it goes to Petco. Only problem is that this was the only one they had....

moosmom
12-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Mike,

The rule of thumb is one box for each cat. But I've also had 2 cats share one litterbox. It all depends on the individual cats and how they react to sharing.

The Littermate came out in late 1995. My Dad wanted one when he saw it on the informercials (long before they came out in stores and were priced at $199!!) I was not that impressed with it because you can't put alot of litter in it or the rake will get jammed. If your cat likes to dig, it can be a problem.

The Littermate has come a long way. So my opinion is based on the very first one which I guess isn't much help.

So, which new kitty are you getting? Good luck with your new addition.

jenluckenbach
12-07-2003, 08:03 PM
I have no experience with automatic boxes, but you may wish to have more than one box for two cats.

Craftlady
12-07-2003, 08:19 PM
I am leary that it would get stuck or sweep to soon before kitty would get out.

AmberLee
12-07-2003, 08:53 PM
I may be mistaken, but it seems like a board member had an automatic litter box and didn't notice it shouldn't be used with kittens less than six months. It seems like the kitten was either badly hurt or killed. When you say you are getting a little friend for Gizmo, what age range were you thinking?

May I suggest you do a search for old messages here regarding auto litter boxes?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
It seems like the kitten was either badly hurt or killed.

I remember the same thing and I would strong advise AGAINST using it until Gizmo is much, much older.

As a matter of fact, if you really want my opinion, I would take it back and get your money back. The potential for harm to any of my cats would far out weigh any supposed convenience. But of course, this is just my opinion. I'm sure others might disagree because the thing hasn't been taken off the market yet.

In my eyes, Gizmo is just too precious to take a chance. If it's the only litterbox you still have, disconnect the power immediately.

All in my opinion - of course. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Here is the link (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20839&highlight=automatic+litter) to the thread about the tragedy.

CatDad
12-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Sorry no experience with the automatic litter box. The story is pretty scary though.

However, the number of litter boxes. It really does depend on the cat. However, I like the one per cat thing, but then again I only have 2 cats. If I had nine cats I might have another opinion.:)

Good luck.

RedHedd
12-07-2003, 11:31 PM
I remember that link. It's not inconvenient for me to scoop the litter if it means I get to have my fur kids around for a lot longer. I'd vote for returning the automatic thingie and getting the old-fashioned kind -- it's not really hard work to keep it clean.

mikey
12-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Yep, we're gonna take it back. I'm not at all impressed. Piece of junk in my opinion.

We're going to a hooded style box to try and minimize the mess. Gizmo likes to dig and kick...lol.

I attached a photo of the new fella. I pick him up tomorrow. He is exactly the same age as Gizmo so that should be a good thing. Now all I need is a name for him!

http://www.rapidmotorsports.com/brownboy.jpg

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-08-2003, 12:58 PM
OMG!!! Talk about ***SWWOOOOOON!!!***

He is the most adorable kitten! But he also has a look of seriousness about him too. A look "beyond his years." Too cute. He's going to be a big one. You can just tell by how solid he is already.

Oh goody, it's going to be so fun to watch this little guy grow up. :D

By the way, I'm glad you're taking the litterbox back. Especially now that you'll have two such precious kitties in the house. :D

Prairie Purrs
12-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Oh, what a gorgeous little guy! And he's going to be a gorgeous BIG guy when he grows into those ears and paws! :D

RedHedd
12-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Oh so cute! If you get a covered litterbox make sure it's big enough for the cats - it might be big enough now, but Maine Coons get big, as you know. I got a nice corner unit from Drs. Foster & Smith. It's too small for Mishi to use, but Mitzi loves it - she feels so safe in it :)

Now to name your little guy .... hmm. Something along the lines of Gizmo? Gadget? Nah .... you'll think of something.

mikey
12-08-2003, 03:31 PM
I bought the largest boxes Petco had (exchanged that POS automatic thing). Pretty big but if I see that our new guy or Gizmo outgrows them, I'll search for another. The new ones have a roof with a charcol stink filter...

AmberLee
12-08-2003, 05:58 PM
I'm relieved. It sounded like the accident was pretty rare, but why take chances with something as precious as a cat?

Your new baby looks adorable. Fingers crossed that he (she?) and Gizmo get along great from the start.

catcrazylady
12-08-2003, 09:16 PM
That new baby is as cute as they come!!!! What BEAUTIFUL cats you are going to have!! I can't wait for pictures of them together!! You really need to post more of Gizmo anyway!! We can't get enough pics especially of adorable kittens!!!! :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

As far as litter boxes go...I have nine cats and three boxes. I know a lot of people would say that is not enough but I haven't had any problems. I scoop in the morning, when I get home from work, and before I go to bed. I guess I should point out that four of the kitties are allowed outside in the evening and I think they prefer to do most of their business while they are out. I just really don't have a place to put more than that and as long as they seem ok with it then I'm ok with scooping a lot!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif