PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong with this picture?

CamCamPup33
12-07-2003, 05:52 PM
I got this link, while searching for pictures of pups.. She is soo right.. What's Wrong with this picture:: LINK! (http://dogs.about.com/cs/breedprofiles/a/mean_dogs.htm)

Insurance companies, Home Owners Associations, and even entire cities and townships have jumped on the "Breed Banning Bandwagon". Pit Bulls, Rottwielers, Chows ... all have a substantial black mark on their reputation these days, and it's become to a common thing for the owner to watch as people cross the street and shoot dirty looks as she walks her well-behaved Rottweiler down the street.
People who lived in controlled neighbourhoods with a Homeowner's Association are not allowed to have any of the potentially "dangerous" breeds as pets. Insurance companies are starting to refuse policies to people who own these dogs. And in some cities, people have had their dogs confiscated and euthanized due to strict by-laws. Animal shelters are no longer adopting out these breeds, but rather euthanizing them on receipt.

Wow. Whatever happened to our dog loving countries?

What makes a dog aggressive and dangerous anyway? Is it their colour? Black and Tan dogs with the few exceptions of toy-sized dogs (Dachshunds, and Miniature Pinschers come immediately to mind) it seems that most black and tan dogs induce fear on sight. Is it their name? Staffordshire Bull Terriers have "Bull Terrier" in their name, they must be evil? What about shape? Any dog with a broad head or cropped ears is game for the breed banning fanatics?

You can read the rest in the link..

dukedogsmom
12-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Things like that make me so angry! I can't believe people are so ignorant. Some even have irrational fears of dogs even if nothing has happened to them and one of them could be in charge somewhere making the laws. It's ridiculous.

2kitties
12-08-2003, 08:48 AM
I don't think you can blame an insurance company. They have a right to protect their investments and if statistics show that most damage is caused by certain breeds of dogs, then they can't argue with the numbers. I'm not saying it's right, but I think the insurance companies have a right to make a profit just like any other business. Many of the companies are publicly held companies which trade on the NYSE. They have to be conservative with things like this to protec their investors.

I was thinking about this breedism crap this morning. On CNN they were talking more about the pitty attack in Colorado. I agree that it's all in the way the animals were raised, but I also think the studies don't lie that certain breeds are more predisposed to aggression. As I said in the other thread, I woudl like to hear from some parents of small children on this subject. As much as I know in my head that pitties aren't bad dogs, I don't know if I would ever been entirely comfortable with my toddler playing with one. That may make me sound evil, but when it comes to your kids, things look differently, I'm certain.

That said, I'm biased because I've always had a fear of large dogs I don't know. They scare me to death for irrational reasons. So my opinion may be skewed.