PDA

View Full Version : patience

RICHARD
12-07-2003, 03:24 AM
one of the things that really ticks me off about being a '21st century schizoid man' (king crimson) is the fact that everyone
at this point in time has no patience for anything anymore...

you have all the people, my mom included, that are bitching about the 'war on terrorism' and the body count in Iraq.....

What about the 58,000 men we lost in a 7 year engagement in Viet Nam, the Korean war or the MILLIONS of men lost in WWII?

Everything is microwave fast now. It is a 60 minute TV show-
the detectives figure out the crime how it was done and who did it
in one hour.....

People today could not endure the rations imposed during WWII, ask some one who lived thru the 'big war' and the sacrifices they made for the troops that were fighting overseas....

Fast food, one hour film development, cable modems, CNN news-
what a bunch of lazy, inconsiderate couch potatoes we have become..

we run into a pole and cut ourselves....what do we do?

instead of taking responsibility we ask for monetary compensation!!

Our parents and grand parents suffered, in silence, to make our world a better place for us...

Instead of being grateful we dishonor their sarcifices by being a bunch of narcissistic, spoiled ingrates that use the excuse that some one else is to blame for our stupidity.

So the next time you think about bashing who ever is in charge for putting us where we are now, remember the folks who bled, were broken and never came back because the government sent them far away to be killed.............

On those bodies we are where we are today.......

Not just the US, but the whole planet........

We don't have the patience that our parents had....so do not try and fool yourselves into thinking that today's problems can be solved in a one hour TV drama....

Everyone complains about what is going on in the world today-

but I can bet you that no one has the the nerve, the guts or the patience to see it to the end no matter how long it takes.

You can make popcorn in one minute and thirty seconds, but
no one has the taste to spend a few years to make the world a safer place.

You can toss the leftovers of a microwave meal into the trash-

but cleaning up the planet is a job that takes a little more effort.

There are two sides to every story, but in the end we are all in it in the long run.......

Good, bad or indifferent-we still have to share the planet with everyone else.

It's too bad that people can't see past their own little world-

Let me apologize for stepping on people's human rights...
but isn't that why we have them?

To be human to each other?

A little patience doesn't hurt.

Ask anyone who has fought or is still fighting against evil or someone who straps a bomb to their bodies and kills innocent people for a cause.

The patience that we do not have become the innocent PATIENTS
in hospitals and clinics around the world because it's OK to blow
yourself up for a 'war' we have no taste for.

Don't blame the people trying to clean things up, blame the people for making the mess.

It makes more sense then.

smokey the elder
12-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Thank you ! I haven't wanted to bring this up, but when they bemoan the several hundred US deaths in Iraq, which, while they are hurtful to the families, the soldiers knew what they were getting into.

So....the victims of terrorism are almost always civilians. If we (USA and others) don't continue to send a message that this WILL not be tolerated. this will go on.

I think we're thinking about the so-called war on terrorism the wrong way. To me a "war" connotes two or more discrete fighting forces, representing a specific nation-state or alliance, having it out to settle their differences.

Terrorism is nothing more than murder. As such that is a crime, not an act of war. Terrorists should be treated like criminals. Detective work, forensics, and other tools more common to criminal justice would apply better than the classic "war." You can't run an Omaha Beach on an al-Qaeda cell. On D-Day we knew where the enemy was.

Anyway, end of rant.

mahayana
12-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Hey, I'm trying to folow your logic here!

Is it, "if you sit by the river long enough, the body of your enemy will float by", " you can reach the top of an oak tree by sitting on an acorn?"

Or, "quit complaining and get to work on the big problems?", "climb that tree!"

One implicit reason for all this talk is to find the agreement to start the job of fixing the world's problems.

I think you were saying "be patient with the deployment, we can achieve one united peaceful world through militarism."

Jesus said "beat the swords into plowshares."

Buddha said "attachment is the source of all frustration."

Hah!

RICHARD
12-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by mahayana
Hey, I'm trying to folow your logic here!

Is it, "if you sit by the river long enough, the body of your enemy will float by", " you can reach the top of an oak tree by sitting on an acorn?"

Or, "quit complaining and get to work on the big problems?", "climb that tree!"

Jesus said "beat the swords into plowshares."

It's a bit of everything.

There is no clear cut answer to the question.

Jesus had the right idea, but until everyone 86's their swords
it's kinda hard to defend your self with a plowshare when somebody comes to do harm to you, your family and makes off with your crops.

And should all swords become plowshares someone will find a way to kill people with them!

Poor Buddha,

He must run the same operating system that I have...

I get some email attachments that REALLY frustate me...

;)

Soledad
12-07-2003, 05:55 PM
I think people could be patient about the war if, say, Osama or Saddam were captured. But waiting, waiting, waiting and keeping silent while an administration continues to put our troops in harms way UNNECESSARILY is pretty lame. I'm glad some people have spines.

iloverat
12-07-2003, 08:58 PM
It's all Starbucks fault. Everybody's hopped up on caffeine, racing around, greatly irritated if they have to wait for...anything!!!! :)

Richard and Smoky the Elder, I agree 100% with you on this subject. Folks want a quick fix to any problem. Unfortunately, life doesn't always hand us a text with the answers in the back of the book. It can take lots of time, hardship and many tries before reaching an acceptable result.

BTW, we actually are conditioned to expect a conclusion to a quandry in 40 minutes, as a 60 min. TV show carries 20 mins. of commercials.

mahayana
12-07-2003, 09:47 PM
The problem here is we're trying to force a solution acceptable to us on a couple of countries we consider backwards and culturally inferior. And they don't like us either.

It may not only be something requiring patience; it may be impossible.

Time will tell!

RICHARD
12-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by mahayana
The problem here is we're trying to force a solution acceptable to us on a couple of countries we consider backwards and culturally inferior. And they don't like us either.

It may not only be something requiring patience; it may be impossible.

Time will tell!

I don't consider them backward and culturally inferior.....

We must remember that the Iraqi/Middle East area are the backbone and birthplace of of some
ideals that we have adopted long after those civilizations have disappeared.

A 'secular situation' would be better suited to what work we need to put into the area..The more information we put into the situation the better off we will be...

Example,

We dropped leaftlets before the 'war' explaining what we were doing.....why not now???

How's about some pamphlets explaining that these
strikes against coalition forces in the area are detrimental to the towns and cities getting the help they need??

I think Korea has pulled their workers because two were killed in an ambush a week ago....Explain to them that every aid worker killed sets the whole process back and keeps them from getting the electrical power lines up and running....

People may not understand politics, but I think hot water and electricity is a universal language.

andrea_NMAggie
12-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Richard,

Thank you for posting this. You're always very eloquent by putting into words, the thoughts and feelings that I'm experiencing. I agree with you 100%.

RICHARD
12-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by andrea_NMAggie
Richard,

Thank you for posting this. You're always very eloquent by putting into words, the thoughts and feelings that I'm experiencing. I agree with you 100%.

Would it be possible for you to agree with me only 99%??

I like to leave some room for error......;)

The story of the Little Red Hen goes to Baghdad is one of my favorites...

The LRH wanted to go to BD to kick Saddam Hussein out of power.

When the LRH asked for help from all the other countries and all the other countries said, "Ahem, LRH-you are a war mongering
entity who wants to rule the this country!!!"

The LRH mongered war with some friends, suffered and still bears the burden of most of the cost associated with it.

The LRH, all thru the fight, kept asking for help and none was to be found.

After all the dirty work was done the LRH began the job of trying to put things back together in BD- There was still some work to do, without the danger.....

Now that danger and Mr. Hussein aren't as prevalent -everyone
wants in on the action!

The LRH decides to tell her 'friends' to bugger off and they are outraged at the LRH's attitude..

The LRH shrugs her wings and says, 'PEH!'

The moral of the story??

Actually there are two.

One, when the LRH asks for help you may want to be a little more
available.

Two, when the going got tough, the 'tough' were nowhere to be seen-until it was time to ride in on the LRH's coattails.......

Everyone knows that a Little Red Hen doesn't wear a coat!!
;)

RICHARD
12-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
I think people could be patient about the war if, say, Osama or Saddam were captured

look at you!!!!!

From your mouth to god's ears.

and it only took one week!:p

Soledad
12-14-2003, 05:53 PM
I didn't know I had so much power. :)

trayi52
12-15-2003, 03:36 AM
Soledad, you are one powerful lady. So now you know your power.....;) :)

moosmom
12-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Don't blame the people trying to clean things up, blame the people for making the mess.

It makes more sense then.

Hey Richard,

Ever think of running for President???

RICHARD
12-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Hey Richard,

Ever think of running for President???

Could I walk instead?;)