PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety meds

wolfsoul
12-06-2003, 11:30 PM
What anxiety medications do you reccomend? I'm going to the doctor to see about getting some. I'm not sure if they are prescription though.

Lately I've been throwing up whenever I'm anxious. If I don't want to go somewhere, I'll start to get sick. This isn't good for me, because I DO have to go to math every second day, and that's when it most often happens. I fainted quite alot last year, and I can't remember why I fainted, but one time I remembered being anxious beforehand. I talked to my psychology teacher and he told me that my anxiety could be contributing to my insomnia, and my aches and pains. I always have constant butterflies and I'll go through this shaking episode, where I'll have involuntary spasms over my entire body. I can't control them. :(

Hopefully I can get this worked out.

Nomilynn
12-06-2003, 11:33 PM
I don't want to recommend any meds, because I'm not a doc. But, there are other things you can do to help you calm down. Have you tried any deep relaxation techniques? It takes about half an hour, and you go through your whole body flexing a muscle, holding it, then letting go. You do this with all your muscles from head to toe. It also involves deep breathing. I didn't think it would make a difference but we did it in a pshychology class and my heart rate dropped 4 beats per second after only 10 mins, because I was so relaxed. I'll see if I can find you some links. I hope you feel better :)

Nomilynn
12-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Here are a couple. Some of them only work if you have a tape with the instructions on it, because you can't be reading and relaxing at the same time :p But it's the basic idea :)

http://www.ukhypnosis.com/ProgRela.htm

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:BAAhHSYsE5wJ:www.tenzone.u-net.com/psych/pdfs/Relax.PDF+deep+relaxation+script&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

wolfsoul
12-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Thanks! :D That's funny, because I was watching TV the other day and it showed some meditation, so yesterday I tried...while the rats were out. So Frisco jumped on my head...then he tried to go into Icarus's cage and I had to get him down. Then Icarus knocked some stuff off my dresser. Then Frisco chased the cat around the room. Next time they can stay in their cages. ;)

Tonya
12-07-2003, 01:19 PM
I have tried Xanics. (Don't know spelling, sorry.) It made me drowsy and I didn't like it. I don't have that much of a problem with anxeity though. I'm not on prozac and it helps with my anxeity too.

Miss Meow
12-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Tonya, do you mean Xanax? I've had that for flying as I get panic attacks on planes. Almost knocks me out of action for the entire day.

I can't recommend any of those medications for anxiety except as a last resort or a short term trial. They tend to make all of your life hazy, rather than dealing with the specific problem. See a good doctor and look at all the alternatives such as meditation and other stress management techniques. And good luck :)

wolfsoul
12-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the comments! :)

I've often heard that medications can make you drowsy...I'll see what my doctor says. Maybe there is something out there that can calm me but not make me feel sleepy.