PDA

View Full Version : Snow Snow Snow Snow

Karen
12-06-2003, 11:29 AM
It is snowing very hard right now - and the weather forecaster says we might get upwards of 18 inches! Of ocurse this is the same guy who showed a map of our area saying that we had "a dusting to 3 inches so far" and I went right outside to shovel the 8 or so (6 in some, 12 in others, it's windy and drifting) inches from the front stairs and sidewalk so the poormailman can deliver our mail!

Weeeeee! I was singing "White Christmas" while I was shoveling!

Paul and Miss Hoppy are not impressed. They prefer to stay inside where it's warm and dry, thinking of summer.

luckies4me
12-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Not fair lol! I don't know if I would want that much snow, but a few inches would be wonderful. :)

Randi
12-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Karen, it must look absolutely wonderful around where you live! :) I love inches and inches of snow, especially the first day, but a few days later, after the spreading of salt, it's not so nice :( - at least not in the city.

I feel sorry for the cats outside, last year I had to showel a path to Pjev's house in the yard so he was able to get out.

In Denmark the temperature is around 10 degrees.

Cheshirekatt
12-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Nothing more beautiful, crisp and clean than a fresh snowy morning! (or night!)

:)

momoffuzzyfaces
12-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Karen

Paul and Miss Hoppy are not impressed. They prefer to stay inside where it's warm and dry, thinking of summer.
I'm with them. I'm not a winter person. I bet it would be hard to find snow boots tiny enough for Miss Hoppy!:D

Pam
12-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
I bet it would be hard to find snow boots tiny enough for Miss Hoppy!:D :D :D :D

Karen I am with you! I enjoy the snow, especially when it snows on the weekend like it is doing now! And oh the evenings after a nice snowfall, with people's Christmas lights glistening all over the whiteness is just beautiful!!! Keep on singing and maybe we'll have a White Christmas after all! ;)

G.P.girl
12-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Karen

hee hee! me too! i don't like winter! but i like to watch snow from the windows where it cant get me!:D

Cataholic
12-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Ah, nothing like the NE! We are still so warm here. We were **supposed** to have 3 inches last night- NADA!

Binx has offered to knit some snow boots for Ms. Hoppy. What is her exact size? I am thinking a hare smaller than small?

jenluckenbach
12-06-2003, 01:13 PM
BRRRRR

AND

YUUUUUK

Anyone who wants any part of the 11 inches we got here may gladly come and get it.:;) :D

Cinder & Smoke
12-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
"... a hare smaller than small?"

<ouwch! :rolleyes: :p

:D

Karen
12-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Widdle Bitty snow boots - hee hee! "Cept those bunny back feet are thrice as long as the front ones! Thanks Mr. Binx, your golden brown fur would be a pretty good match! ;)

There's one puffed out Junco (aka snowbird) perched beneath and pecking at the bird-seed bell I tied out the other day! Guess he was the brave one to come out in the midst of the storm!

It's soooo pretty outside! Maybe when it's all over I'll take pictures for you all to see!

It's blustery and blowing
Windy and snowing
Chimney smoke showing
Childrens' cheeks glowing
Goody goody it's a Saturday snowing!

CountryWolf07
12-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Wow, a lot of snow, huh? It's snowing here too.. steadily - we have about 4 inches though.. gotta love snow.. now I'm in the Christmas spirit - been humming - "Jingle Bells" ;) We got our Christmas tree, but putting it up tomorrow, and Christmas stuff are already up now.. whoo hoo!

neko1
12-06-2003, 02:12 PM
I'm with Jen on this one!

Edwina's Secretary
12-06-2003, 03:03 PM
We spent all day yesterday and this morning (4:30!!!!) trying to get to New York City where we were meeting up with family and attending the Rockette Show (we bought the tickets in April.)

Any of you intrepid Noreasterners want to buy tickets for tonight's performance. Great seats!

moosmom
12-06-2003, 03:12 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I called my daughter in Connecticut this morning and she said it started last night around 6:30 p.m. and isn't expected to stop till tomorrow (Sunday).

I moved out of CT just in time!! Last year they beat their own record with 75 inches of snow for the year!!

popcornbird
12-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Anyone with snow is more than welcome to send some to me!!!

How about those of you with snow, treat us folks without snow to some nice SNOWY pictures? :D

Karen
12-06-2003, 03:47 PM
I'll try tomorrow, it's dark AND snowy out now. I just saw the weather forecast - they now say 18-24 inches before it's over for us!

Samantha Puppy
12-06-2003, 04:16 PM
You're getting what we just finished with, Karen. It snowed here Thursday night into Friday afternoon. Then we had a break and the second wave came through, merged with the first wave which was hovering off shore, and formed the Nor'Easter that's heading up your way as I type! We got about 10" out of the whole thing. I took some pictures of Samantha playing in it (she wanted to be out almost the entire day yesterday!) - they're in Dog General. :)

Karen
12-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Just came in from shoveling for over an hour, and I haven't completely shoveled the driveway once yet! I'm not a very efficient shoveler, I guess. It's still snowing pretty hard, and now they're saying it won't end until sometime LATE tomorrow!

Saw a poor little wild mousie come around the corner of the house (scampering on top of the snow) a few time, change his mind, then disappear again. Hope he's got a sheltered spot out there somewhere. There were still a few blades of grass sticking up through the snow near where he was, maybe they were his goal ... it's still drifting heavily, and the wind changes direction sometimes so the snow you just shoveled flies back onto you!

Lorraine
12-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Snow, I am jealous. Well, at this time of year anyway. snow is so beautiful at Christmas time!

Amber
12-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Anyone with snow is more than welcome to send some to me!!!

How about those of you with snow, treat us folks without snow to some nice SNOWY pictures? :D

Here you go!
Katie is enjoying the snow!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid90/p49bc82846fce46e22b41547b35614d1a/fa709860.jpg

Vermontcat
12-06-2003, 08:49 PM
We are getting a lot of snow here too.
It will be at least a foot of snow and maybe two by the time it ends late tomorrow.
I will try to get some photos tomorrow if it isn't too windy.

Edwina's Secretary, were you at O'hare airport on Friday morning?
My husband was there then and luckily his flight here was only delayed one hour.
I don't mind a big snow on the weekend because we don't have to worry about going to school or work and I really hate driving in deep snow.

primabella
12-06-2003, 09:26 PM
It's finally snowing a lot tonight. If it piles up nicely, I'll try and get some pics for those of you who want. I love snow, especially at night. It sparkles. :)

Mickey is sooo excited it is snowing. I took him out to pee and he was hopping everywhere and taking these mad dashes. I would even kick the snow and he would run to catch it. Took him awhile to realize that there was actually nothing there to catch and he just ended up with a face full of snow. :D

Karen
12-06-2003, 11:14 PM
I think I stayed out shoveling too long. I've been inside for 20 minutes and am still shivering off and on. It's hard to say exactly how much snow we have gotten because it does drift, but there are at least 2 feet in many places! And it's still snowing! Paul is making some nice hot pizza - that'll warm me up!

Aspen and Misty
12-06-2003, 11:33 PM
I wanna come visit you!!!! We only have a lil bit of snow, about to our ankles ::Cries::

Enjoy!

Ashley

CatDad
12-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Good Luck to all of you in the northeast. It sounds like some storm. Stay warm and have fun.:)

I love the snow, even when I lived in places that got alot of snow I still liked it.:D

I agree some pictures when you get a chance would be great.;)

smokey the elder
12-07-2003, 07:11 AM
Karen, your core temp is down. Get out of your shoveling clothes; your body is spending energy to heat your cold jeans or whatever. When I get done it it's cold and windy like yesterday, start some hot water for tea, get into a warm bath, and put on lots of warm stuff. As you thaw out you can take off the layers.

BTW, we got about 15" (38 cm) or thereabouts. I need to shovel and I'm stalling!:p :)

12-07-2003, 07:17 AM
OMG, SNOW!!! I want snow!! Some winters we even don't get any of it...:( :( . It is not fair hey, you guys have far to much of snow, and we here are begging for a bit :rolleyes: :(
Oh, the first one who is able to send me a basket of snow( enough to make a snowman!!), is very welcome and will be rewarded :) ;) :)

Karen
12-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Lut, I could send you a snowman worth, but it's not sticky "snow-man" snow, sorry! Out to shovel again.

amoore
12-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Could you send me some snow?

Can't wait to see your snow pictures!:)

Edwina's Secretary
12-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Yes Vermontcat, we were at O'Hare. We arrived about 12:30 to meet a friend who was traveling with us. They announced the cancellation of our flight and rebooking onto a 4:00 flight. We decided to get lunch and wait. We went through security where I was required to remove my belt, jewelry, and finally my shoes (darn underwire bras!) We had lunch....I never know which is worse....the quality or the price...or the plastic flatware (No knifes!) They announced a delay of the 4:00 so my husband and I decided to get a glass of wine. We were carded (but so was the gray-haired lady with a walker in front of us.) Frankly, I think they want to check if you have enough money not your age.

Then they cancelled the flight and I spent 45 minutes on the phone rebooking for the first flight the next morning....which was cancelled.....

Vermontcat
12-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Edwina's Secretary, my husband was already on his plane by the time you got to the airport.
Sorry that you didn't get to NYC.

I did take some snow pictures today, I will try to post them later.
For Popcornbird and anyone else who wants to see some snow make sure you check out this thread, it's fun!:)
snowglobe (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39058)

popcornbird
12-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Vermontcat

For Popcornbird and anyone else who wants to see some snow make sure you check out this thread, it's fun!:)
snowglobe (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39058)

That was so much fun! Makes me want snow even more! He he he!

Edwina's Secretary, when I travel...........I always be sure to wear clothes with no metal in them. No zippers, no snaps, only buttons, and shoes with laces.........not straps with metal parts in them. When you don't beep, it makes things soooo much easier! :D

dukedogsmom
12-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Everyone with snow is so lucky. All we get is hot and hotter! It's just now cooling off down here. Can't wait to get to Maryland! Want to build a snowman.

Karen
12-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Okay, I measured the snow on the sidewalk in front of the hosue where I hadn't yet shoveled at all - 22 1/2 inches, and the bottom foot had definitely settled a lot, so we got about 2 feet of snow, no exaggeration. There's still a little snow falling, but it's supposed to end tonight. I've shoveled and shoveled - and taken some pictures, hopefully, they'll come out okay, I'll upload and share later tonight.

Cincy'sMom
12-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Wow 2 feet!!! I wish we had got at least 2 inches :(

While you are uploading pictures Karen....maybe we could see some from the summer trips?!?

gini
12-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Karen, hope you share AFTER taking a nice long hot bath to work out the kinks from all of that shoveling of snow!

22 1/2 inches BBBRRRRRR.

Karen
12-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Here's one shot from today. Most of the pictures didn't come out well because it was STILL snowing! And so the sky was dark, and the snowflakes caught the flash and look huge and alien/angel-like. This picture is of the giant cliff of snow that formed pver a cprner of our wall. I asked the two boys to stand underneath it so you could see how impressive the shelf was!

I, or maybe Paul, will take more pictures tomorrow, when it is SUPPOSED to be a brighter day and not snowing some time during daylight hours!

Kfamr
12-07-2003, 11:06 PM
I'm so jealous... I don't even remember what snow is like. :(

trayi52
12-08-2003, 02:07 AM
I wish we would get some snow here, but I guess we just don't live in the right place for it.

My daughter is going to PA with her boy friend and his family for a visit. She is hoping to see some snow.

Oh where, oh where is our snow??

Somebody send us some snow.

Tray

Russian Blue
12-08-2003, 09:34 AM
I heard this morning that New Brunswick and parts of Nova Scotia got hit with 56 cm of white stuff and maybe another 10 today.

I'm soooo glad I'm in Toronto!!! I just l like a dusting for Christmas, I don't need anymore.

HayleyRosie
12-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Russian Blue
I heard this morning that New Brunswick and parts of Nova Scotia got hit with 56 cm of white stuff and maybe another 10 today.

I'm soooo glad I'm in Toronto!!! I just l like a dusting for Christmas, I don't need anymore.

I agree with you. I'm glad we didn't get that. It's raining here right now. We are going to get about 10mm of rain today. The little bit of snow we did have will most likely be gone after that. A little dusting on christmas eve will be fine with me!

Logan
12-08-2003, 11:58 AM
I just hope that all of our snowbound Pet Talkers are doing well!!! I can't believe all that snow!!!!! :eek:

Felicia's Mom
12-08-2003, 01:01 PM
Most of our snow is gone. Just a little on the grass. It is supposed to snow later this week, but I don't remember how much.

I will take all that snow over ice any day. Ice didn't bother me when I was younger. Now I have a fear of slipping and falling.