PDA

View Full Version : Ally is hurt :(

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Early this morning Ally & Connor had a HUGE fight (Fur all over the place).

When I got home from work, I though Ally was lying "funny" in her bed, and when I picked her up she screamed in pain. She has a bad injury to her back leg (she won't let me touch it, so I can't tell how big or deep it is, but she is walking with a very bad limp)!

I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning (last thing I need - I have lost my job, my son is in bed with a fever, and I am supposed to go on vacation in 4 days!).

I have always hoped that Ally and Connor will sort out their differences on their own, but the situation is getting worse. I have also always maintained that my decisions will be made taking Ally's best interests into account, as she is my first cat!

This is absolutely the LAST STRAW. I leave for vacation on Wednesday night, until January 2nd. I am seriously thinking about puting Connor in the cattery for the duration of my vacation (my plan was to have my pet-sitter house-sit also, so she would be here every day but I don't think she can cope with the two of them fighting like this!)

Of course when I get back in January I will have to go through all the drama of re-introducing them again! But I CAN'T leave them alone in the house when they are HURTING each other. The only other option will be to re-home Connor, which I will not be able to do until January.

I was thinking of asking my mum in South Africa if she would take Connor, but with me losing my job I can't afford to ship him over there.

Please help! I am in tears YET AGAIN over these precious furkids of mine:(

Kona & Oreo's mom
12-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Oh, poor Ally! I hope that her vet will be able to help her heal quickly. I wish I had some advice for you about Connor; it sounds like you are in a rough situation. Good luck with them both, and I hope Ally feels better soon!

jenluckenbach
12-06-2003, 10:36 AM
I am so sorry to hear this :( :( (And I just PM'd you to see how they were doing). Do you think your mom WOULD take Conner?

bisi.cat
12-06-2003, 10:39 AM
Oh Julie!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
I just thought of you, Ally and Connor today and supposed that no news meant good news, so I feel so very sorry to read these news...
If Ally is seriously hurt, you'll have to find another solution.
Please talk to your mom, it would be great if you would know him in a good home, rather than return him to the shelter (I know it would hurt you so much!)...and I am sure we'll all jump in to make the shipping possible...

Maybe a separation in the cattery will also work, but please let your heart decide...

luckies4me
12-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Are they both fixed?

I am sorry you are having troubles. I hope the vet can fix her up good as new! Please keep us updated. Take a little time for yourself today. Maybe take a short nap or walk, or just spend some time in bed with Ally.

jenluckenbach
12-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by bisi.cat
and I am sure we'll all jump in to make the shipping possible...

You got that right!!!!!!! I almost said I'd PAY for shiping, but don't know what kind of cost is involved in that part of the world so I didn't wish to make promises I could not keep. So you KNOW you can count on me!

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-06-2003, 11:15 AM
I am so touched by how quickly you all offer to help. The support and kindness I have found on this board far exceeds anything which I have ever received from friends and family - you are the best!

I need to chat to hubby tonight (he is also losing patience with the constant "drama" in the house). I may not even tell him that Ally is going to the vet tomorrow - I will just wait till he goes to work then come home and fetch her. I need to talk to my mum face-to-face and find out if she would be willing to take Connor, then I need to work out the logistics and finances IF that is the solution. (I am moved to tears again at how quickly you jumped in to offer help - especially knowing how many of you are also short of cash, and supporting charity and rescue efforts).

I DO think that in the short term I need to put Connor in the cattery whilst I am on vacation. My pet-sitter will NOT cope with their fighting, and although I have a friend close by for her to call in emergencies (if a vet is required etc) I dont want to risk it.

Thanks again everyone

(((HUGS))))

Julie

PayItForward
12-06-2003, 12:54 PM
I am so sorry that things are getting so bad between Ally & Conner :(

Good luck in either reintroducing them after christmas OR rehoming with your mum.

PS. I'll add a donation to the 'Conner's shipping cost' fund, if you find him a new home.

Cinder & Smoke
12-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
I DO think that in the short term I need to put Connor in the cattery whilst I am on vacation. My pet-sitter will NOT cope with their fighting, and although I have a friend close by for her to call in emergencies (if a vet is required etc) I dont want to risk it.

Hey Julie ~

Maybe you might want to put ALLY into the Cattery
during your vacation... ??

WHO would be better able to cope with her Injury -
the House/Cat Sitter, or the Cattery??

If there are dressings to be changed, or any meds to be given,
Ally might be the better one to "farm out";
and leave Connor "home alone" with the Cat Sitter.

Just a thought.

/s/ Phred

Sara luvs her Tinky
12-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Prayers on the way for you and the kitties...

Let us know how Ally is doing when you get her home from the vet!!

{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}

Randi
12-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Julie, I'm so very sorry to hear about Ally's and Connor's fight. :( I hope the vet can fix it quickly!

It's really a terrible situation you're in. :(

Cinder & Smoke's advise may be worth considering - Ally will then be under professional care while you're away and Connor can get some time to calm down - and may even miss Ally.

I wish you all the best sorting it out! :)

iloverat
12-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Oh, I am so saddened to read that Ally and Connor are not working out and that Ally has been hurt. :( The way you initially introduced them went so well and their situation seemed so promising. I know how excited you were to bring Connor home from the shelter. If your mom does agree to take him, my husband and I would be more than happy to also help with a donation. I feel so badly for you with the kitty situation, your son being ill and just losing a job. Pretty overwhelming stuff!!!! Sending my best to you and yours --- Bobbi

catcrazylady
12-06-2003, 02:35 PM
I wish I had some magic words that would make things better. You have tried so hard and been such a wonderful mom to both Ally and Connor. It's such a shame that they can't get along. Don't feel guilty if you have to rehome Connor. You can't have them causing serious injuries to each other. I hope Ally is ok and maybe your vet can offer some advice. Maybe some meds for Connor or Ally. Something to calm them for awhile.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I sure don't have much money but I would be willing to give what little I could if it would help Connor go to a good home. Best of luck to you.

moosmom
12-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Julie,

While I am all for letting them work out their differences, I think you have gone above and beyond the call of duty. Ally's well being is your first concern. I think it is time to re-home Connor. I know this is a very difficult decision for you, but believe me, it's better in the long run.

A while back I had to re-home one of my cats because he kept stressing out my oldest male Casey (RB, 12/02) While I was absolutely devastated in having to come to that decision, it was the best decision I ever made. Tucker (rehomed kitty) is now living in a 3-floor house with LOTS of windows and love.

You need to do what is best for BOTH cats. Some cats just need to be "only cats" and it sounds like Connor is one of them. It is no one's fault either.

I would be MORE than happy to help out with the shipping costs. If it means that both cats will have furrrever homes in which they will be non-stressed and given lots of love, then I'm all for it.

Please keep me posted and let me know if there is anything else I can do.

((((((hugs))))))

Donna

Cataholic
12-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Julie,
I am so sorry to hear Ally sustained an injury. I am also sorry to hear things just don't seem to be working out between Connor and Ally. Sometimes our very best simply isn't enough...so, you do what is in everyone's best interest, and that is all you can do.

Dan Holder
12-06-2003, 04:03 PM
That is a bunch of bad luck to end the year. It sounds like neither kitty will ever be very happy while the other is in the house. I think we are lucky here. It seems much easier to have pets than in some other places. I'm always impressed when I see people who might have a harder way to go, still find a way to love their kitties. It is the season of giving, and if the donations start, don't let it slip past me. Good luck.

rg_girlca
12-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Oh poor, sweet Ally. If Connor punctured her leg, it is most likely it has abscessed.
I'm so sorry to hear they are not getting along.
Is it possible to keep Connor seperate from Ally, by keeping him locked in a room or will these be too much for your cat-sitter to deal with.
All in all, I hope you are able to enjoy your vacation and come to a conclussion on what to do with these two, when you return home. Of course, Ally is your first priority.
Wishing you all the best of luck.

Kirsten
12-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about this! :( :( :( Poor Ally, and poor, you, Julie! (((HUGS)))

I agree with you, you can't leave them together in the house while you're on holiday, and maybe it would really be the best solution to give Connor to your mom - if she wants to take him. It's sad, but I totally agree with you when you say Ally as cat #1 comes first. I would have done the same with Luna and Lily if it wouldn't have worked.

As for the shipping I would also give a little to help. I don't have much at the moment 'cause I've also lost my job (as you know), but I would like to help.

(((HUGS))))
Kirsten

Lorraine
12-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Poor Ally, I hope she is feeling better very soon. sending prayers and good wishes to you.

NoahsMommy
12-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Oh no!! :( Not good news. :(

Please send my kisses to Ally and let us know how the vet visit goes tomorrow.

I think it'll be a good idea to kennel Conner until you return. Your kitty sitter may not be as diligent as you'd like and Conner could get out.

I'm so sorry Conner isn't cooperating. Don't feel bad though. Did you ever read about my Oliver? I'll find that thread and post it here. Sometimes, certain kitties just wont mix. :(

NoahsMommy
12-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Here's the link about Oliver: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23827&highlight=Oliver

While I was VERY upset, to the point of making myself ill, it really DID work out. After about two weeks, he was adopted by a student and is an only cat. He's very happy and it worked out for the best.

If you do have to rehome him, it'll work out.

Take care. :)

Vermontcat
12-06-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm sorry that Ally is hurt and that she and Connor aren't getting along.:(
They remind me of Sasvermont's troubles with Ti and Miley not getting along.
Do you remember when Ti attacked Miley and she had to spend the night at the vets?
Sas had to separate the two cats until she could find a new home for Ti.
Luckily she did find him a happy new home and Miley is happy again too.
I wish you luck in finding some arrangement to make both of your cats happy again too.:)

Felicia's Mom
12-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Julie,

I am sorry to hear of Ally's injury. Beau and Felicia still have fights after 11 years together.

I would be willing to donate some money for Connor's shipping.

CatDad
12-06-2003, 10:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the Ally and Connor.:( I am also really sorry to hear that Ally has a wound because of it.:(

I know that you have tried so hard and done all of the right things. I can only imagine how disappointing this is and how sad it is that they are not gettin along. If you do have to rehome Connor, no one can blame. You have really gone beyond were alot people wold have given up. There is a point were you need to look at the welfare of the kitties. I will support you in whatever decision you make.

Do what you need to in order to be able to go on vacation and relax. You need it.;) That way when you come back you will be better able to deal with the decision that you make.

Please let me know if you need help with shipping or anything else, I will be happy to help with what I can.

Sending prayers for all of you and especially for Ally's recovery.

Also a big hug
{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-07-2003, 01:00 AM
It is now 10 AM, and I am taking Ally to the vet now (He was doing surgery this morning so this is the earliest he could see her).

I will update you when I get back.

krazyaboutkatz
12-07-2003, 01:15 AM
Julie, I'm so sorry to hear that Connor and Ally are still fighting and that Ally is now injured.:( I agree that rehoming Connor is probably the best thing to do. Please let me know if I can help you in any way including making a donation to help transport Connor to a new home. Good luck at the vet's. I sure hope she's not seriously injured. Please take care and keep us updated.

popcornbird
12-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Poor Ally!! :( :(

I'm so sorry they aren't getting along, and hope things turn out well. Will be waiting for your update!

Killearn Kitties
12-07-2003, 04:03 AM
I'm so sorry to read this thread this morning. It' particularly sad when things seemed to be going so well at the beginning. I'll look out for an update when you come back from the vet, but you can count on my support in whatever you decide to do.

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-07-2003, 04:50 AM
I have settled Ally back at home, and am now back at the office. She has one puncture would on her back "thigh" - the reason it isn't 2 bites is because one of Connors Incisors is broken:rolleyes: . It was already full of pus, so the Dr drained and cleaned in, and put some powder in it. He has given her two anti-biotics, one which is fast-acting, and a second one which is a Time Release one and will remain active for the next 3 days. He says the wound was clean and we caught it early (as close as I can figure, it only happened yesterday AM), so the prognosis for it to heal quickly is good. He also gave her something to calm her down a bit. (After THIS I am sure she has a NAWTEEKAT sticker on her file, it took the vet plus an assistant to wrap her in 2 towels and hold her down). He only charged me $20 for the whole treatment, injections etc. (The other vet here charges $35 JUST for the consultation). As I have said before, I like going to Dr Jaffer because he is Bahraini, so he is a real expert with the Dilmun cats!

I am unfortunately working this evening, so I wont be able to check up on her until 9PM, but my son is at home sick too, so he has her in his room and they were watching TV together when I left to come back to work.

I spoke to the Dr about whether there is anything else I can do / do differently to help them get along. He agrees that a large part of the problem is Connor's deafness. When Ally growls and warns him to get away, he does not hear, so fights that would normally die down are escalating, as she gets fed up "warning" him, and HE gets fed up with her "suddenly" attacking him.

He recommends that I separate them for a while whilst she heals - already done! He also said that, given the fact that Ally is 99% the aggressor, now that she has been hurt, she might back off a bit and treat Connor with a bit more respect. Anyone else experienced this?

I have also taken a deep breath, and sat down to think what I will do with them when I go on vacation. Fortunately our house is big enough that I can have each of them in a totally separate part of it, but there is a glass door in between, so they can still see each other. I think I will do this when I am away - I'll tell the sitter that they must be kept in their respective separate halves of the house.

In January when I get back I will assess the situation (I won't be working so I'll at least have some time to spend on it), and not make any rash decisions now. I will also see if my Mum will take Connor, just in case it comes down to re-homing him.

I wish I could find words to thank you all for the support and love I feel when I read all your posts and PMs. It means the world to me, just knowing that you are all here for me, and you care so much about Ally and Connor too! Thanks everyone.

Kirsten
12-07-2003, 05:36 AM
Julie, first of all, let me say I'm happy that Ally's wound dosn't seem to be serious. I hope it will heal quickly and doesn't bother her for so long.

Also, what your vet has said about Connor's deafness makes a lot of sense to me. The communication between them just does not work the way it should...

Too bad that you're going on vacation now and can't be around, because I think it could be very well that Ally has more respect for Connor now, but under these circumstances you can't find out. So I think it's a good solution to tell the cat sitter to keep them seperated in the house. You're lucky that your house is big enough for this! I think one good thing is, when they still can see each other, that they won't forget about each other, so this might make the re-introduction process a bit easier for you when you're back - if you still want to try that.

Kirsten

bisi.cat
12-07-2003, 05:40 AM
I am so glad to hear that Ally will be fine soon!!!:)

It should be no great deal for the cat sitter to keep them apart and so both can stay in their familiar environment, while you are away!!!
I hope you'll find the time to relax and enjoy the holidays...and when you return home it will be easier to deal with your felines again...sometimes it's good to get away from all the problems for awhile and take time to rethink it all...

But most important take time to relax and be happy!!!

Best wishes and {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you, Ally and Connor

jenluckenbach
12-07-2003, 05:44 AM
The Dr.'s words seem optimisitc in that possibly Ally has "learned a lesson". Miracles do happen so at least there is hope. As far as the injury, I am glad it is healing, but sorry she had to be so scared at the vet's.

PayItForward
12-07-2003, 06:26 AM
I am glad Ally is back from the vets and on the mend.

Re the introduction, I don't know what to suggest.

I have been lucky that our introductions have never resulted in injuries. I have seen lots of growling, hissing, chasing and fur on the floor but no blood.

Maybe Kelly (NoahsMommy) and SAS may be able to give more relevent advice because of sweet Oliver & Ti. They might be able to spot the line between it will get better and it won't :(

Hoping the re-introductions will work and know we are here to talk to. Fingers and paws very tightly crossed for you & Ally & Conner.

Killearn Kitties
12-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Aww, cuddles to poor Ally, I hope she feels a bit better now. It's good that you will be able to keep them both at home while they are away, they should be more relaxed in their own surroundings.

I hope you have a stress-free break and things go well on your reurn!

CatDad
12-07-2003, 02:42 PM
I am so happy to hear that Ally is on the mend and that the doctor thinks that she is going to be fine. Here is hoping that Ally's recovery is swift.

I am also really happy that you found a solution that will work while you are on vacation.:) Most important have a good time on vacation.

I know that you will do everything that is possible to make it work, and I wish I had words of wisdom. However, this is out of my league, hopefully someone else will be better able to give suggestions. Just know that you have my support in whatever you deciede to do.

Prayers for Ally and her recovery, also {{{HUGS}}} to you.

Keep us updated.

slick
12-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Sure glad that Ally is on the mend and I'm so sorry that this is causing so much stress for you. I have not had much experience in this at all so I really don't have much advice to offer. It certainly makes sense to keep them separated while you are gone and I hope things do work out in the end, even it does mean re-homing Connor.

ChrisH
12-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear Ally is doing fine and on the mend. Sorry to hear how it all came about though.

It looks as if you have found a solution that will work while you are away, so take the time to relax and have a peaceful break.

Prayers for Ally to recover well, and for a happy solution to the problem to be found on your return.

Hugs
Chris

catcrazylady
12-07-2003, 05:07 PM
So glad to hear that Ally is not seriously wounded. From reading your post I think it sounds like you have everything worked out. It sounds like you have a wonderful plan until you can return and get a better idea of what to do.
It's such a shame about Connor's deafness because he and Aly could probably be friends. Prayers for you and Aly and Connor. Maybe, just maybe things will be better now!
Have a wonderful vacation and don't worry about them. At least you know that with them seperated no one will get hurt.
{{{{HUGS}}}}

krazyaboutkatz
12-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Julie, I'm so glad to hear that Ally is on the mend and that she'll recover quickly. Hopefully you'll be able to reintroduce them after your vacation and that things will go well. Please try to relax and enjoy yourself and keep us updated. Take care.

Miss Meow
12-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Oh, no. I'm so sorry about Ally and Connor's fighting.

I'm glad Ally is OK. You caught the wound just in time to prevent infection, it seems :)

I don't have any other advice except that I think your plan is a sound one, and see what happens when you get back. Things might work out better when you are around to supervise their interaction all the time, then you can start leaving them alone again. Good luck and big hugs to you :)

jazzcat
12-08-2003, 12:43 AM
I'm glad to see the good news that Ally should recover fully and quickly. Maybe the vet is right about the new respect. I really hope it will work out for you all.

I hope you have a good vacation and try not to worry to much.

shais_mom
12-08-2003, 12:44 AM
So sorry to hear about this. I didn't realize that things weren't going well!! :( Bad me.
I hope you enjoy your vacation. Am glad that Ally is doing ok, and that the wound was caught early.
I would also be willing to help with the shipping. Might not be much, but it would probably help. {{hugs to you!!}}

Barbara
12-08-2003, 02:54 AM
I also wasn't online this weekend - I am so sorry to hear that. It reminds me of Miley and Ti -and the only solution might be to re-home Connor.

Poor boy.

And poor little Ally -I am glad to hear that her wounds will heal well.

If Connor has to be expatriated I'd be happy to contribute to the Connor transportation fund;)

I hope you can calm down a little. Sasvermont seems not to be online these days but maybe you can PM her. She had that situation for months until she found a new home for Ti.

IttyBittyKitty
12-08-2003, 03:24 AM
That's awful :( I had no idea that your two weren't getting along :(

Best of luck with sorting this one out - don't worry, no matter what you choose to do, it will be the right choice.

HayleyRosie
12-08-2003, 06:16 AM
So glad to hear Ally will be okay. I'm sorry to hear her and Connor are still not getting along. Hopefully the vet will be right and the fighting will stop now.

sqwelch
12-08-2003, 07:31 AM
I'm glad Allys on the mend but sad that the kitties aren't getting along, I haven't been around much and assumed that everything was going well after such good signs at the beginning !!!

Unfortunately I can't offer advice as I'm a 1 cat family now that Jock has gone to RB. I was lucky with the pair of them, Bonnie & Jock were bruv and sis from the same litter so they've always got on! Have considered another addition to the family but to be honest I don't think Bonnie would like that at all, time will tell, never say never :D

catmandu
12-08-2003, 09:53 AM
I am so sorry to hear that Ally was injured. And it seemed as though they were starting to get along! I have the feeling that something happened , and now the bond may never be repaird. so Sorry!

catlover4ever
12-08-2003, 10:44 AM
I hope Ally heals quickly, and I really hope everything works out between her and Connor. Please keep us posted.

Logan
12-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Julie, I'm just catching up from the weekend posts. I'm so glad that Ally is going to be ok. I do not blame you one bit for separating them while you're away. They will be much more manageable for your petsitter and for your peace of mind! I hope you can enjoy your holiday, knowing they are separated. :)

As you probably know, my two don't get along either. Mimi has NEVER adjusted to Butter, who has been here almost 3 years now. She simply hates him. She was here first, is much older and one time, she nailed him with her claws on the back of his head. He got an abscess and the nail was still embedded in his head!!! Since then, they have learned to stay away from each other, and she still hisses every time she sees him as if it is the first time!!!!

Many hugs to you, Ally and Connor. And good wishes too!!! :)

Vermontcat
12-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
I also wasn't online this weekend - I am so sorry to hear that. It reminds me of Miley and Ti -and the only solution might be to re-home Connor.

Poor boy.

And poor little Ally -I am glad to hear that her wounds will heal well.

If Connor has to be expatriated I'd be happy to contribute to the Connor transportation fund;)

I hope you can calm down a little. Sasvermont seems not to be online these days but maybe you can PM her. She had that situation for months until she found a new home for Ti.

Sas was going to be away this weekend so she hasn't been on Pet Talk for a few days.
You can try to PM her for advice or you may have better luck reaching her by e-mail.
You can also try searching for the old threads about Ti and Miley.

I hope Ally and Connor are doing better today.