PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Advice?

amoore
12-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Hello, everyone.

Can some of the photographers out there please tell about their cameras? You know, ones you have had, ones you really like, easy to use ones for a beginner?

It is almost Christmas, and I have a birthday on the 31st...(hint,hint) What is a good one to get?

Thank you!:confused:

Kfamr
12-06-2003, 10:28 AM
FujiFilm FinePix 1300 (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=377063/search=fuji%2520finepix%25201300/ut=185cb587186d7914) was my first camera a few years ago. It was very user friendly and I figured out how to use everything myself. It's price is VERY low now, since there's upgrades of that model -- But if you're looking for a great camera, low price, and user friendly -- I'd recommend this one. I can also show you photos from it, if you'd like.

My camera right now is a
Canon Powershot A60 (http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=13076453&cmCat=SEARCH) . It's a great camera, user friendly, but not as easy to figure out as the Fuji. I also figured it out by myself, but then again i'm too lazy to read the owner's manual explaining everything. :p It can record videos(with sound), shoot in black & white, do GREAT close ups, and much, much, much more.

All Canon cameras i've seen photos from are great. There's been updated cameras since the A60, like the A70 and I think there's an A80.

Again I can show you pictures from each camera if you'd like. :)

Othere cameras i've used are Kodak and Sony. The Kodak I used (sorry, can't remember model) was a poor excuse for a camera. The pictures were blurry and so low quality.

The same goes for the Sony. Not only was it not use friendly, but the photos came out so choppy. My aunt owns it and she plans to be upgrading to either the same model as mine, or something similar.

Kona & Oreo's mom
12-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Several people I know and I have the Canon PowerShot A 60. I'd recommend it. It is my first digital camera and I think it's easy and works great. It has zoom and is 2.0 megapixels--it takes great pictures. Also, Consumer Reports magazine selected it as one of their "Best Buys." I've seen it on sale lately for $199.

Former User
12-06-2003, 10:42 AM
We have Canon Powershot A80 since few days and we just loooooooove it. Still learning how to use it, but the pics turn out great, and movies are smooth running. We're very happy with our new camera :)

binka_nugget
12-06-2003, 11:00 AM
I also have the Canon Powershot A60. I takes GREAT closeups like Kay said. It takes very nice action shots of the dogs while they're running around (no blur most of the time). It was a bit hard to understand but with all these extra functions, who wouldn't be? It's 2 megapixels and takes movies (with sound) at a maximum of 320x240 resolution. I'm thinking about upgrading to their next model in a couple years.

I've also used a sony cybershot Dsc P31 (I think that was the model..) It was alright. It didn't take the best quality pics but I'm sure there are far better models now.

mahayana
12-06-2003, 11:24 AM
amoore, I can take a hint if you beat me over the head with it!

It will be nice to not buy film or pay for processing anymore. But don't we need a CD burner to go with that? Do these cameras need a program to get the pictures into the computer, resize etc?

Thanks for helping with my Christmas shopping list!:D

Kfamr
12-06-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by mahayana
But don't we need a CD burner to go with that? Do these cameras need a program to get the pictures into the computer, resize etc?

Thanks for helping with my Christmas shopping list!:D

Most cameras come with a program to load the photos with. Both of my cameras did. Some come with a Disc that you just put into the disc drive, some come with CD's.
Mine came with a USB cord which I think is the best way to load. Since I have Windows XP, a little screen just pops up when I plug in my camera to the USB cord and it asks if I want to load my pictures.

Resizing can be done in Windows Paint, as well as some cameras even come with editing/resizing programs.

The Canon has 3 different size options: Large (1600x1200), Medium (1024x768), and Small (640x480). I normally use small since it's the perfect size to post on Pet Talk. :)

amoore
12-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Wow, that A60 sounds great! I would like to see pictures from the different ones if it's not too much trouble, Kfamr.

I take flower closeups so everything you mention sounds good. We haven't used our old camcorder in awhile (you have to charge batteries, buy film, etc). How is the sound quality on the A60?

What else do you have to buy, memory sticks or something? I really know nada about these wonderful new inventions!
:) :confused: :o

Kfamr
12-06-2003, 12:28 PM
I'll post pictures from the Canon, Fuji & Sony in a bit... Right now I'm about to eat some yummy chilli. :)

As for the sound quality, it's wonderful. I took a video of the waves on the beach not too long ago when Dukedogsmom visited again, and it was amazing. If I could, i'd post for you to see. Maybe i'll look for a server later that'll allow me to load .AVI's on so I can show you. :)

You don't have to buy anything, it comes with a memory card. The memory card my Canon came with holds 150+ pictures. My dad bought me another card when he bought our camera though. It's a 128 MB and holds almost around 1500 pictures.

What I do suggest though is buying a charger and a pack of 4 AA batteries. Unless you want to buy batteries once in a while (depending how much you use the camera)

amoore
12-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Thankyou Kfamr, I will look for this model at Walmart. Thanks for the tip on the charger too.

That chili sounds good!:)

binka_nugget
12-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Pst Kay..try http://come2store.com for your vid file. They offer unlimited storage and uploading 10mb at a time. I get loads of pop-ups when I go there..but other than that, it's pretty good.