PDA

View Full Version : bonding moment

Glacier
12-06-2003, 02:13 AM
I can't do this moment justice, but I feel the need to tell someone about it anyway.

Pacer, my timid foster dog, has been adjusting to life in the house. He recently gained his freedom from the porch and now has free roam of the whole place (except the room with the litterboxes in it, that's off limits to all the dogs). I've been bringing him in early in the evening so he gets used to being around regular household noises. He's great at night when everything is quiet, but still jumpy with noise.

So tonight he's inside and we are watching a movie when I realize he's not in the living room. I find him curled up on our bed. He's never jumped up there alone before. I put him on the bed once and he shook like a leaf and jumped right off.

I laid down beside him and have just spent the last hour with his little white head on my chest--sound asleep, snoring, truly relaxed!

The moment was extra special as I had been talking to the shelter administrator earlier today and she told me that Pacer had come very close to being euthanized as unadoptable this past summer. What a tragedy that would have been!

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 02:20 AM
awwww, that's soo sweet! Maybe he'll do that with his new owner. unless, do you think you could keep him? :eek: :o

Glacier
12-06-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by *FlatCoatsRule*
awwww, that's soo sweet! Maybe he'll do that with his new owner. unless, do you think you could keep him? :eek: :o

Well, there's not a big line up of people waiting to take Pacer! He spent a year at the shelter and never had any interest. We haven't had any inquiries about him. I suspect he'll be here for a long while.

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 02:28 AM
So, forever??????? :p :rolleyes: :D

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 02:30 AM
Like just until someone shows intrest in him....so, are there like pictures of him up somewhere or something since your fostering him? So that he doesn't have to stay at the shelter? :) I like that idea :)

Glacier
12-06-2003, 02:31 AM
So, forever??????? :p :rolleyes: :D

It's a distinct possiblity.:p

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 02:37 AM
YEAH!!! Do you have pictureS???? I've never seen any pics of him or any of your dogs

Glacier
12-06-2003, 02:42 AM
so, are there like pictures of him up somewhere or something since your fostering him? So that he doesn't have to stay at the shelter? :) I like that idea :)

here's a pic of him
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/20031265803165108764309.jpg
This is where he usually sleeps. although I supose now he will want the bed all the time!

The general idea is that we foster long term shelter residents. Most our dogs have spent up to a year in the shelter, Goldie was there for two. The shelter staff usually ask us if we will take the lifers when they start to get depressed and not eat. We rarely get to foster the highly adoptable animals.

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 02:45 AM
AHHHHHH,,,,HE"S GORGEOUS!!! Is he part wolf or something? Husky? I'm awwed! He is so pretty! I would adopt him if my mom would let me.....sorry.....;) no chance of that

Glacier
12-06-2003, 02:47 AM
AHHHHHH,,,,HE"S GORGEOUS!!! Is he part wolf or something? Husky? I'm awwed! He is so pretty! I would adopt him if my mom would let me.....sorry.....;) no chance of that

NO wolf. He's a husky mix. Likely from a sled dog kennel at some point. He looks like hundreds of other sled dogs around here, except he's cuter, of course!

*FlatCoatsRule*
12-06-2003, 02:51 AM
Hee hee OF COURSE!!!!!

K9soul
12-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Oh he is beautiful! And I really enjoyed reading about your special moment with him. It has to be one of the most warm and rewarding feelings you can experience. I hope he has indeed found his forever home with you. I bet over time he will continue to form a wonderful bond with you. :)

Kona & Oreo's mom
12-06-2003, 10:37 AM
That's a beautiful moment, Glacier. Thanks for sharing the story. It reinforces that you are doing a wonderful job at something very difficult--winning the hearts and trust of those who have been neglected. You are a success! Thanks for helping sweet Pacer and the others.