PDA

View Full Version : Festive Safety for Pets

ChrisH
12-05-2003, 04:43 PM
I expect everyone knows these, but I thought I`d post them anyway!:D

Festive Pet Safety Tips
The Christmas holidays are a time to celebrate and share good times with friends and family. However, the same treats and trimmings considered harmless for humans could be a serious health risk for pets. The ASPCA is offering owners the following helpful hints to ensure your pets stay happy, healthy and stress free over festive period:
- Poultry bones can splinter and cause blockages, chocolates are poisonous, and any change of diet, even for one meal, may give your dog or cat severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals that have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements.
- If your pet is used to eating leftovers, make sure to feed them meat without rich sauces or spices; fresh vegetables are a good alternative. Sweets and sugar may give your pet diarrhea or intestinal problems.
- Crowds and holiday festivities can frighten some animals. If your pet does not do well with crowds and loud noise, make sure you set aside a safe and quiet haven for them to retreat to if necessary.
- If you are a cat owner, remember that cats are creatures of habit. Disruptions in the home during the holidays, such as rearranging the furniture, could cause your feline to stop using the litter box.
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Common Christmas plants such as poinsettias, mistletoe, ivy, and holly berries can be poisonous, or even fatal. Make sure you place your Christmas candles in places where your pets can't over turn them and possibly burn themselves and your home.
- Some animals, especially kittens and puppies like to chew on exposed wiring, which could electrocute your pet. Tape down loose wires to skirting boards and hide wiring as much as possible.
- Dogs and cats can be allowed to romp through discarded wrapping paper and boxes, but remove bows and yarn. Cut away shopping bag handles on bags, which small dogs and cats can easily choke on. Keep aluminum foil away from your animals, which can cause vomiting and intestinal blockage.
- Cats often see trees as fabulous climbing posts. Remember to position your Christmas tree on a wide, flat, and stable base. You may want to anchor the tree with fishing line to a window or the wall and make sure that you decorate with animal-safe items such as dried flowers, pine cones, or fabric and wood ornaments. Tinsel and ribbons, if swallowed can be deadly to pets. Glass balls can shatter in an animal's mouth, and if swallowed, can cut the tissues of the intestinal system.
- Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers, which, if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can also be a breeding ground for bacteria, which can lead to vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea. Make sure a cloth or board covers the bottom of the tree.
- Antifreeze Alert! Antifreeze has a pleasant taste. It also contains ethylene glycol, which can cause rapid and permanent kidney damage to your pet if they ingest even a very small amount. As little as one teaspoon can be deadly for an average size cat, which can ingest the chemical just by wandering through an antifreeze puddle and then cleaning his paws. Less than four teaspoons can be dangerous to a 10-lb. dog, which can be lapped up easily from a puddle on the garage floor. Clean up any spills, and store antifreeze in a tightly closed cabinet.

Ally Cat's Mommy
12-06-2003, 09:54 AM
Thanks for sharing Chris!

(In the checkout queue at our local supermarket last week the woman in front of me had poinsettias in her trolly. I asked if she had cats, and she said yes, so I told her how dangerous poinsetias are , and she didn't buy them......then after she left the store manager (who must have overheard) came up to me and gave me an earful! I WON'T be shopping there again!!!

G.P.girl
12-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH
Antifreeze has a pleasant taste.

yeah i know.....;)
thanks for sharing those:D